Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2013, 12:45   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: Allto 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravradha View Post
I have more or less decided on Alto 800. I have driven Eon and K10 I like both. But since the feedback on mileage is bad am opting for alto 800.

Is this a prudent decision. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I think it is excellent decision. Eon does lack in drivability and fuel efficiency while K10 gives an average of 13kmpl in city conditions. It improves to 18-19 kmpl on highways though.

Last edited by moralfibre : 27th March 2014 at 10:37. Reason: Fixing quote tag
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 13:12   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravradha
I'm driving a santro and am thrilled with it. Its 10 years old with 41K Kms (sparsely used) on odo, but drives like a dream.
2. Comfortable seating with a good view of road
3. Easy ingress/egress for my aged parents
4. Good service

Dislikes:
1. Gives only 11 Km/Liter
2. Poor comfort in back seat (Jumping in bad chennai roads)

What do I look for:
1. Good FE upwards of 17 Kmpl in city (~ 900 Km/Month in city)
2. Below 5 Lacs
3. Drivability and comfort comparable to 10 year old Santro (I'm 5'6")
4. No troubles for next 3 years

I have more or less decided on Alto 800. I have driven Eon and K10 I like both. But since the feedback on mileage is bad am opting for alto 800.
After having driven a tallboy for 10years, I doubt you would like the ergonomics of a low car like the Alto. You will also not get the good-road-view seating and the easy ingress/egress for your aged parents. Ofcourse you will get better mileage than the Santro, but then you have to make a choice on which is more important - mileage or comfort. And BTW is it really possible to get 17kmpl from any currently-available petrol car in the city ?

Given that your budget is 5L, would any entry-level diesel hatches be in your reach ? Eg the Ritz LDI or Swift LDI etc which would help retain the high-seating you have experienced with Santro and also give better comfort than an Atlo, while possibly giving close to the mileage you want, at a lower cost per litre.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 14:21   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi

I'm driving a santro and am thrilled with it. Its 10 years old with 41K Kms (sparsely used) on odo, but drives like a dream.

Likes and dislikes of my car:

1. Excellent drivability in city
2. Comfortable seating with a good view of road
3. Easy ingress/egress for my aged parents
4. Good service

Dislikes:

1. Gives only 11 Km/Liter
2. Poor comfort in back seat (Jumping in bad chennai roads)

Why new car

I'm looking for a new car for only one reason which is to avail CLP benefit from my company.

What do I look for:

1. Good FE upwards of 17 Kmpl in city (~ 900 Km/Month in city)
2. Below 5 Lacs
3. Drivability and comfort comparable to 10 year old Santro (I'm 5'6")
4. No troubles for next 3 years

Thanks.
The Alto 800 and the K10 have similar FE figures. The K10's larger engine would give you more FE in B2B traffic, it also has a better AC. Neither is as good as the Santro for city traffic, especially in a B2B situation.

Both the Altos are lighter than the Santro, hence will jump more on bad roads.

Regarding FE of 17, it is possible only on open roads, in city traffic do not expect more than 12 - 14 in city. The modern high revving engines come on their own at higher speeds especially the highways, in the city stop and go traffic the low speed engine of Santro performs much better.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 14:24   #139
Senior - BHPian

[quote=supremeBaleno;3310013] And BTW is it really possible to get 17kmpl from any currently-available petrol car in the city ? QUOTE]

My earlier Alto used to give steady 16-17 kmpl in Delhi traffic. Current K10 gives max 14 KMPL in Gurgaon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Given that your budget is 5L, would any entry-level diesel hatches be in your reach ? Eg the Ritz LDI or Swift LDI etc which would help retain the high-seating you have experienced with Santro and also give better comfort than an Atlo, while possibly giving close to the mileage you want, at a lower cost per litre.
Completely agree. They are far more comfortable than Alto or Eon, though you may have to spend 0.85 - 1 lakh more than your budget.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 14:57   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi

I would strongly advice you against downgrading from a Santro to Alto.

- After being used to a 1.1L engine, you would not like driving an 800cc engine (lack of outright power)
- After being used to a 4-cylinder engine, you would not like to drive a 3-cylinder engine (lack of refinement)
- After being used to the excellent driveability of Santro, you would be missing the same while driving the Alto (lack of low end torque)
- After being used to a tall boy car, you wouldn't like a low slung car like Alto (both in terms of visibility and for ease of ingress/egress)
- After being used to a spacious car, you wouldn't like a smaller car (cabin space as well as boot space)

Please don't let fuel efficiency be the sole criteria for selecting a car. Buying a car is a long term investment, don't end up buying something which is too much of a compromise.

Since your usage is quite low, you should not worry too much about the fuel efficiency factor. Buy a car which will keep you and your family smiling for the next 8-10 years.

My suggestion would be to go for the i10 with irde engine. With the launch of the Grand i10, you can expect discount offers on the previous generation model. I am also a satisfied i10 customer, hence speaking from personal experience.

The ride quality is definitely better than Santro, but still has room for improvement. You may go for comfort oriented tyres and extra cushioning on rear seats for better back seat comfort.

Other option to consider is Wagon-R. But I feel it is still a downgrade from Santro.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2014, 15:06   #141
BHPian

Re: Alto K10 vs Alto 800 vs Hyundai Eon

Planning to buy Eon Sportz as second car for my wife, also looking at Hyundai i10 Grand Era as second option as on road price difference between both of them is around 50K

This car would be used 3-4 times in a week for office travel by her (approx 55 kms/day) and occasionally for highway driving.

Please share dealer experience for Yerwada location in Pune, I know Kothari and Sanjay Hyundai have their presence in our vicinity.
Old 26th March 2014, 15:10   #142
BHPian

Just voted for the Eon since I just booked it (Magna + variant). Test drove the alto and just hated it as I couldn't even sit in the driver seat (I'm 5'9 - 5'10). It's not just me, but my parents who are way shorter felt the same issues too.

Alto 800
-ves:

1) Horrible seating for the front driver with a very low steering console always fouling with my legs.

2) Interior part quality was quite bad, a little more than I expected sadly. My cheaper Nano holds much better than the one I drove even after nearly 4 years and 30k kms and much more rough use.

3) Space! There's so much of a shortage.

4) A/c puts a huge load on the engine.

+ves:

1) Very good A/c.

2) Pretty decent ride quality.

3) Decent boot space.

4) Maruti reliability in general.

We are literally spoiled by our Nano LX with its wonderful space and general impression it gives (sans the exhaust note). I felt the Nano's interiors to be bolted together in a better way for I have just some minor rattles in my heavily used Nano. I couldn't even think of paying an additional lac than my Nano for the Alto 800 (no offence to any of its owners.)

Alto K10 was almost the same with the engine being the only exception.

Eon:

-ves:

1) Gearstick vibrates.

2) Engine is not as drivable as the rest.

3) A/c wasn't chilling, but does the job fine.

4) FE may not be as good as the Alto siblings.

+ves:

1) Quality interiors.

2) More spacious than the Alto twins.

3) Much bigger boot (215 L).

4) Pretty decent feature list (Tilt steering, music system, etc).

5) Design looks way better (interiors as well as exterior).

In comparison, I found the Eon's positives to be better than the Alto's positives and Eon's negatives weren't as important to our use in comparison to the Alto's negatives. And for the better quality and space, the Eon is worth the extra 25-30k it demands.

But after all this, the question that keeps ringing in my head is about how Tata managed to address most of these issues in the Nano! It's simply the best city car under 4 lacs (esp the Twist) according to me. The space, the turning radius, initial pick up, Fuel efficiency, maintenance costs, not-so-bad quality,etc. I'm just waiting for the openable boot version. If then I might exchange my 2010 Nano LX for that
Old 26th March 2014, 16:10   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
Just voted for the Eon since I just booked it (Magna + variant).
Congrats on the buy. We have an Eon with our extended family and the interiors are of good quality. Yes, the engine is definitely not a hoot to drive on, but it's a nice city car. Looks good too.

Two negatives I found on the Eon -

1. The seating in rear is really cramped. I don't know how it compares to the Alto.

2. The thick C pillar and the small rear windshield makes reversing the car a pain at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
I'm just waiting for the openable boot version. If then I might exchange my 2010 Nano LX for that
I am not sure you have anything with usable interest there. Practically, an openable boot lid may not matter for that reason.
Old 27th March 2014, 10:02   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Congrats on the buy. We have an Eon with our extended family and the interiors are of good quality. Yes, the engine is definitely not a hoot to drive on, but it's a nice city car. Looks good too.

Two negatives I found on the Eon -

1. The seating in rear is really cramped. I don't know how it compares to the Alto.

2. The thick C pillar and the small rear windshield makes reversing the car a pain at times.
Thanks a lot.

Regarding the seating, I'm telling you, the Eon is way more spacious than the Alto. Try sitting in the Alto and you would love your Eon so much more for space!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I am not sure you have anything with usable interest there. Practically, an openable boot lid may not matter for that reason.
For me, it does matter. I'm doing B.arch and have loads of stuffs to be carried around (models, tons of sheets, etc) so if the boot is openable, its way more easier for me to fold the seats down and load whatever I want. In such cases presently, I have to take my Wagon-R to take models around.

Thank you
Old 25th September 2014, 18:34   #145

I am looking for a small hatchback to do city duty. I have short listed the Alto K10 and the Hyundai Eon.

Initially K10 was the only one on my list simply because of its K series engine, mileage and the because its a Maruti. Spark never made it to my list because there isn't a dealer in my hometown district.Being a automobile racist never really bothered looking at the Korean stable but just for the sake of comparison i dropped into the Hyundai show room and tested the Eon. I was taken back. I underestimated the brand!

The Eon is Eons ahead of the alto K10 in every department except the engine part. Eon's engine is just adequate nothing more. The K-Series engine is "MIND BLASTING". Thus started my dilemma. Heart said K10 but mind said Eon.

After some self convincing walked into the Maruti showroom with a almost made up mind only for the maruti people to throw a wet towel. Maruti has stopped the production of the K10!! but they do have quite a few in their depot.
Now should i gamble with the K10's resale or go buy a eon and play it safe?Personally i feel people going for pre worshiped car is reducing(just my opinion). So a discontinued model could only make matters worse. Also, when i was at Hyundai the sales guy took me to another guy who was apparently an ex-maruti employee who told quite a few of the newer K10's had issues with the steering column very early in life.Has anyone experienced that or know of anyone who has faced this?? Plus the colour options are limited as i have to choose from the left over stocks
HELP ME !!
Old 26th September 2014, 06:59   #146
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill_Boy View Post
I am looking for a small hatchback to do city duty. I have short listed the Alto K10 and the Hyundai Eon.

The Eon is Eons ahead of the alto K10 in every department except the engine part. Eon's engine is just adequate nothing more. The K-Series engine is "MIND BLASTING". Thus started my dilemma. Heart said K10 but mind said Eon.
Yes, the Eon is a superior car because of it's superior interior and has a lot of factors contributing to the "feel good" factor.

Quote:
After some self convincing walked into the Maruti showroom with a almost made up mind only for the maruti people to throw a wet towel. Maruti has stopped the production of the K10!! but they do have quite a few in their depot.
Now should i gamble with the K10's resale or go buy a eon and play it safe?
Makes the deal for the K10 easier. Bargain hard for discount. Never mind the resale vale, the K10 engine will be powering cars for quite sometime and has high reliability.

Also Maruti does sells spares for a discontinued model for a long time. How many M800's do you see which are more than 15 years old?

Quote:
who told quite a few of the newer K10's had issues with the steering column very early in life.
Never heard of that. I think it's safe to ignore him.
Old 26th September 2014, 08:52   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you really like the K10, why don't you look at the new Alto which will feature the K10 engine to be launched soon? It will feature an AMT box too. The details are here in this thread. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-caught-6.html. You will have to change that stupid chrome grille though.

And coming back to Eon, which variant did you drive? The new 3 pot 1L Kappa engine is much better than the .8L MPi engine. I think the Kappa motor is not available in the lower variants. But worth the price.
Old 26th September 2014, 11:19   #148

Thank you D4D and deetjohn for your replies
Quote:
Yes, the Eon is a superior car because of it's superior interior and has a lot of factors contributing to the "feel good" factor.
The interiors just blew me away. The car is from a different segment(at least that is what it feels like). The feel good factor is the one reason why i'm willing to overlooking the super fun K-Series engine on the Alto.

Quote:
Makes the deal for the K10 easier. Bargain hard for discount.
The people at Maruti are promising a 30-40k as cash discounts nothing else.

Quote:
Also Maruti does sells spares for a discontinued model for a long time. How many M800's do you see which are more than 15 years old?
I'm not worried about the parts availability. I own a 17 year old M800 and a 22 year young Gypsy. No major spare parts issue yet. It was the resale and the allegations on that car by the ex-maruti guy that really bothered me

Quote:
If you really like the K10, why don't you look at the new Alto which will feature the K10 engine to be launched soon? It will feature an AMT box too.
I just hate the Alto800's look. I just cannot live with that and i need the vehicle sooner. Can't wait till the release and knowing Maruti there could be a huge waiting period initially because of the huge bookings.

Quote:
nd coming back to Eon, which variant did you drive? The new 3 pot 1L Kappa engine is much better than the .8L MPi engine. I think the Kappa motor is not available in the lower variants. But worth the price.
The one I drove was a .8L version. I don't want the kappa because mileage is a big factor for me now.I am looking to buy the Era version.
Old 26th September 2014, 11:39   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The one I drove was a .8L version. I don't want the kappa because mileage is a big factor for me now.I am looking to buy the Era version.
Why is mileage a big factor for you? How much is your average monthly running?
Old 26th September 2014, 12:25   #150

Quote:
Why is mileage a big factor for you? How much is your average monthly running?
Mileage is a big factor because this is a car i'm going to use instead of a bike(mommy says no bikes). My job requires me to travel extensively in and around Chennai. Average monthly running could be around 1200-1400 kms easily(60% B2B traffic).

Most Viewed