Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2014, 12:59   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Alto K10 vs Alto 800 vs Hyundai Eon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill_Boy View Post
Mileage is a big factor because this is a car i'm going to use instead of a bike(mommy says no bikes). My job requires me to travel extensively in and around Chennai. Average monthly running could be around 1200-1400 kms easily(60% B2B traffic).
You will be able to save INR 1000-1500 per month in fuel expense per month for a difference in mileage of upto 3 KMPL (say 13 vs 16kmpl). I would suggest to try kappa engine if that amount is manageable for you.
Old 26th September 2014, 14:04   #152

Thank you Sourabhzen
Quote:
I would suggest to try kappa engine if that amount is manageable for you.
I will try the Kappa engine. It does have pretty sweet power and torque figures. Can your tell me what would be the kind of mileage I could expect from a Kappa engine in B2B traffic conditions?
Old 26th September 2014, 14:47   #153
Senior - BHPian

There are two problem with Hyundai.
1. Mileage, lower than K10.
2. Service costs have gone up quite a lot as I have been told by my friends who own Hyundai.

At 1200 to 1400 in B2B traffic, I would suggest a diesel car, as that will give you ample torque at low speeds and much better average compared to the two petrols. I have no idea of Eon, but from what I have heard on this forum and from my experience, getting more than 12 or 13 km/l in heavy traffic will be difficult. In contrast the Indica will give much more in the same traffic scenario.

Alto K10 is a really fun to drive car, but better suited for open roads rather than B2B traffic. In that traffic our Honda City gives better mileage.
Old 26th September 2014, 15:36   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am looking for a small hatchback to do city duty. I have short listed the Alto K10 and the Hyundai Eon.

------ apparently an ex-maruti employee who told quite a few of the newer K10's had issues with the steering column very early in life.
A decision to be made on several grounds. Yes, the interiors of Eon is leagues ahead of the K10 and does look more modern from outside too, but then that's it. Rest of all factors favor the K10. Be it the better engine, better after sales support (though Hyundai is also good), better driveability and excellent FE. Being a tall boy design, the Eon is a very average handler, and the 0.8 L engine is nothing much to talk about. Also, do not worry about the spares availability. I am myself driving a car which was discontinued long ago. MASS still stocks most spares for it. For those rare ones not available off the shelf, they can always order from factory.

And you can expect some good discount on the K10 if you bargain with the dealer as its production has been stopped.
Old 26th September 2014, 16:50   #155

Quote:
2. Service costs have gone up quite a lot as I have been told by my friends who own Hyundai.
K10's service interval is 5000 kms and it is 10000 kms for the Eon. Wont that cover the difference in costs??

Quote:
I would suggest a diesel car, as that will give you ample torque at low speeds and much better average compared to the two petrols. I have no idea of Eon, but from what I have heard on this forum and from my experience, getting more than 12 or 13 km/l in heavy traffic will be difficult. In contrast the Indica will give much more in the same traffic scenario.
Diesels are a big NO no for me(for now). This going to be in the place of a bike. A diesel would just add more woes and the initial price difference is too huge.Plus,i'm a petrol guy

Quote:
n that traffic our Honda City gives better mileage.
NOooo I was hoping better figures.

Quote:
A decision to be made on several grounds. Yes, the interiors of Eon is leagues ahead of the K10 and does look more modern from outside too, but then that's it. Rest of all factors favor the K10. Be it the better engine, better after sales support (though Hyundai is also good), better driveability and excellent FE. Being a tall boy design, the Eon is a very average handler, and the 0.8 L engine is nothing much to talk about. Also, do not worry about the spares availability. I am myself driving a car which was discontinued long ago. MASS still stocks most spares for it. For those rare ones not available off the shelf, they can always order from factory.

And you can expect some good discount on the K10 if you bargain with the dealer as its production has been stopped.
Almost a 100% on booking a K10. Just can't resist the K-Series motor!! Ya spares are never a problem. Own 2 Maruti's from the 90's never had a major problem. I'm not a good bargainer looking for a stone cold bargainer to help me out.
Old 26th September 2014, 17:41   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
K10's service interval is 5000 kms and it is 10000 kms for the Eon. Wont that cover the difference in costk#
K10 service interval is 10000 km or one year.
Old 26th September 2014, 18:21   #157
Senior - BHPian

An Indica Diesel is about a lac more after discounts, but will give you tremendous FE, both in City and on Highways.
Old 27th September 2014, 10:08   #158
BHPian

If reliability and resale value takes priority, then Alto k10 makes the perfect choice. The only let down in the k10 is the budget interiors - the same carried from Alto 800 with minor modifications. But the k10 feels good to drive in city, the low end grunt is really helfpul during short sprints. Club that with good mileage figures and you have a winner.

If interior (fit and finish) is a concern and takes priority, then Eon will serve you better.
CountMe91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2014, 19:04   #159

Quote:
K10 service interval is 10000 km or one year.
Forgive my ignorance. Sales guy at a dealership in my town told me it was 5000 called another maruti dealer they said it is 10000. There is a guy i know who services his car every 5000, maybe his driver is taking him for a ride?? Never been so confused.

Quote:
An Indica Diesel is about a lac more after discounts, but will give you tremendous FE, both in City and on Highways.
Thanks Aroy i would have never looked this way.I'll test drive it soon but not very sure about TATA. We owned a couple of sumo's in the past.Vehicle delivered more than we asked for but dealing with the TATA service people is a horror story.

Quote:
If reliability and resale value takes priority, then Alto k10 makes the perfect choice. The only let down in the k10 is the budget interiors - the same carried from Alto 800 with minor modifications. But the k10 feels good to drive in city, the low end grunt is really helfpul during short sprints. Club that with good mileage figures and you have a winner.

If interior (fit and finish) is a concern and takes priority, then Eon will serve you better.
Almost fixed on the K10 now. Just looking to see which dealer has non retarded sales people so i can talk discounts and i hope to find a dealer who has a car in the colour i am in love with.
Old 28th September 2014, 10:27   #160
BHPian

Alto800 - L silent. Auto with doors and ac.
Altok10 - No nonsense car but outdated.
Eon - The best first car in india today.

ps - Booked an Eon Dlite+ @3.57lakhs from v3 hyundai thiruvanmiyur after a long and enduring comparison process including lots of MBs spent on cardekho app/ test drives in nearly all showrooms in velacheryguindy/ having all used car dealers in speeddial for 2 weeks. Both altos available at 41k discount. Awaiting delivery next week.

Regards
Dev
Old 28th September 2014, 11:09   #161
BHPian

[quote=Hill_Boy;3544401]Forgive my ignorance. Sales guy at a dealership in my town told me it was 5000 called another maruti dealer they said it is 10000. There is a guy i know who services his car every 5000, maybe his driver is taking him for a ride?? Never been so confused.

the k10 service interval is 10k kms, where they change all the consumables and charge for the service. at 5k kms there is a inspection(some 150 point check), for this they charge Rs.1300. my k10 had its 20k service done last week and the bill was 5800/-.
Old 28th September 2014, 12:36   #162

Quote:
Eon - The best first car in india today.

ps - Booked an Eon Dlite+ @3.57lakhs from v3 hyundai thiruvanmiyur after a long and enduring comparison process including lots of MBs spent on cardekho app/ test drives in nearly all showrooms in velacheryguindy/ having all used car dealers in speeddial for 2 weeks.
So has it got ample torque to handle the worst of Chennai traffic(say Siruseri to Adayar 5.30 in the evening). I only tested it in the hills i feels it needs a bit of effort to get it moving. I was considering the Era.

Quote:
the k10 service interval is 10k kms, where they change all the consumables and charge for the service. at 5k kms there is a inspection(some 150 point check), for this they charge Rs.1300. my k10 had its 20k service done last week and the bill was 5800/-.
Its that a alright price to pay?? I have never serviced my cars in dealerships(we have a family mechanic in my hometown) but i will be in Chennai.
Old 28th September 2014, 13:19   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by irdevanand View Post
Alto800 - L silent. Auto with doors and ac.
Still its the highest selling car in India ! So must have something more than an auto! May be an extra wheel?

Quote:
Altok10 - No nonsense car but outdated.
Agreed.

Quote:
Eon - The best first car in india today
Cant really agree to this! It depends on the budget of the person! If the person have 5-6 lakhs budget the swift or anything alike can also be his very first car! With a budget of an Alto k10 / Eon he can buy a well maintained second hand sedan like a Honda city too!

Between K10 and Eon there is absolute no comparisons in performance. One is a low stance hatch with a 999cc engine and 67 bhp where as the other one is a tall boy with 800cc 55 bhp. The K10 is far more frugal and fun to drive than the Eon with better handling. Its like a go kart. Can throw it in the corners. No wonder people call it a pocket rocket.

But while comparing the looks, interiors & feel good factor the Eon is miles ahead of the outdated design of the k10.

Quote:
Its that a alright price to pay?? I have never serviced my cars in dealerships(we have a family mechanic in my hometown) but i will be in Chennai.
There is absolutely no point to service the k10 or taking it for check up at 5,000kms. 10,000kms service interval is absolutely fine. At 20,000kms the replacements should be- coolant, brake oil, engine oil & oil filter. So it should not exceed rs4,000. Maruti tries to take the customers for a ride if they are not aware of whats needs. So strictly follow the owners manual and ask them not to do a single extra work. Or else they will add unnecessary add ons and increase the service costs.

On a different note the service cost of my petrol Etios is less than my K10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountMe91 View Post

You are spot on. Cant agree more to it.

Last edited by Samba : 28th September 2014 at 13:22.
Samba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2014, 18:37   #164
Senior - BHPian

I run very less, still I get it serviced every year. Last month I went for the sixth service after completing 4 years. The total cost with Authorized Service Station came to Rs.2,650/ which included labour, engine oil+filter and change of coolant. I think that is quite reasonable. They did not change the air filter but cleaned it by blowing air (any way it is around 250 including fitting, at spare parts shops)

I also end up changing wipers every year as they tend to harden up in a year.
Old 28th September 2014, 22:59   #165
BHPian

Quote:
So has it got ample torque to handle the worst of Chennai traffic(say Siruseri to Adayar 5.30 in the evening).
@hillboy I drive a hondacity ivtec for 4.5 years. Had a zen (jellybean) and an opelastra (seconds) earlier. Haven't really driven eon/alto for a longer time to give you a perfect answer. But my hunch is EON should just do fine. I took a test drive from madipakkam-to-tatachennaione-tollgate-and-back with mom and dad on the back and salesguy on front. EON managed to do decent speeds (ok i should not have done this with parents at the back but point was to check when they start noticing..they did at 80 so i didnt push much). Mom has knee pain and getting in and out of city vs eon she felt eon was better because of the tall stance. Era is 15k more and has power windows compared to dlite+ and magna+ is 50k more with audiosystem/R13 tyres/powerwindows. I am buying this for my sister who met with an accident last year and we dont want her to drive her scooter anymore. So its an upgrade from scooter /auto/taxi so she didnt mind that power windows. For you it might be necessary. Go for it.

ps - But man siruseri to adyar you better by an automatic car or relocate or change your office/timings. Atleast have a girlfriend to give you company or else the drive alone will get you bored to death. I pity your left knee. Irrespective of what you drive its still going to take you couple of hours at peak traffic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks