Team-BHP - Alto K10 vs Alto 800 vs Hyundai Eon
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Hatchbacks (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/)
-   -   Alto K10 vs Alto 800 vs Hyundai Eon (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/110026-alto-k10-vs-alto-800-vs-hyundai-eon.html)

My Requirements:

1. There's a Diesel Hyundai Verna at home. Looking for a small and peppy petrol hatch that can be driven by mom and me (strictly within the city)

2. Occasional use/No high running on daily basis. So, Diesel hatch ruled out.

3. The petrol hatch needs to be economical at the same time peppy and fun to drive. Vitamin M can be stretched up to 3.75L.

4. Frustrated with my Hyundai sedan's poor suspension and handling. Recurrence of the same in another Hyundai will be a deal breaker for me. :mad:

5. Good resale value after 60,000 km/4-5 years of ownership.

Need your inputs guys!

PS: Just read about the Alto K10 limited edition being rolled out, with leather seats and bluetooth integrated Audio system! :thumbs up

I would remove the Alto 800 from the list without a 2nd thought. Dated and Primitive !! The K10 is peppy for a 3 cylinder engine, but again the interiors are basic. The interiors are a tad bit cramped and boot space is hardly anything worthwhile mentioning.

The Hyundai Eon is what I would put my money on if I were in your shoes. Oodles of space and the interiors are leagues ahead of the Alto. A pretty big boot and a decent mileage,sells at 3.7x lakhs ex-showroom. What's pending is a test drive from you. Go drive one and maybe you will like it.

IMHO go for Alto K10, it has all the qualities that you have listed above. Plus the *** of MSIL is definitely better than others.
EON is no doubt a good car, but yet to prove itself. However, the interiors are anytime better than Alto but the feel good driving factor is missing.

Since you already have a Verna, there are two looks into this:
a) Talk to the dealer about brand loyalty and get higher discounts
b) Since you already have a Hyundai, why not try the Maruti?

Head to head, I personally feel that Eon will be a better choice. But Alto is no lesser. Its low cost of ownership will help a lot. Both the cars are backed by the best A.S.S.'es in the country.

Why is Honda Brio out of your case?

I will say go for the Alto k10. Its much better to drive in my opinion going by the official TD reports and ownership review. Also maruti will ofcourse hold its value more after 5 years and TCO in terms of service and spares costs will be considerably low. On the other hand Eon is also a good car but may not be that fun to drive. For 3.75L OTR I feel you should go for the Alto.

By the way why did you rule out spark?

With the budget you have, rule out the Alto F8D like rjstyles69 said.

The main advantage that K10 has over the Eon is the powertrain. With most other parameters, I think the Eon scores over the K10. So, drive both of them back to back. And don't forget to load both cars for the drive. (AC On, 4 passengers etc.). If you think Eon has the performance that you are looking for, go for the Hyundai.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Added_flavor
PS: Just read about the Alto K10 limited edition being rolled out, with leather seats and bluetooth integrated Audio system!

Is it actual leather or art. leather? My guess would be latter. And AFAIK, the buyer has the option to choose between the accessories and a cash discount. I would recommend cash discount any day.

Do check out the EON, we went to the Hyundai showroom and the car is good for the price. My friend who is also looking for this car at this price point and TD and Alto k10 and EON he seems to have liked the EON. I havent driven Alto K10 but when we sat in EON it seemed a very well built car for the price.

I think you should at the very least TD it see it in flesh and blood, and then make a choice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjstyles69 (Post 2557065)
I would remove the Alto 800 from the list without a 2nd thought. Dated and Primitive !! The K10 is peppy for a 3 cylinder engine, but again the interiors are basic. The interiors are a tad bit cramped and boot space is hardly anything worthwhile mentioning.

The Hyundai Eon is what I would put my money on if I were in your shoes. Oodles of space and the interiors are leagues ahead of the Alto. A pretty big boot and a decent mileage,sells at 3.7x lakhs ex-showroom. What's pending is a test drive from you. Go drive one and maybe you will like it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankurvirmani19 (Post 2557078)
IMHO go for Alto K10, it has all the qualities that you have listed above. Plus the *** of MSIL is definitely better than others.
EON is no doubt a good car, but yet to prove itself. However, the interiors are anytime better than Alto but the feel good driving factor is missing.

Will surely go for a TD soon! As of now, I am a little paranoid and prejudiced against the Hyundai suspension, as it's the same disappointing case with the i10 and the ANHV!

I completely agree on the interiors/space perspective. Anyway since I myself am not tall (5.7") and also it'll be driven by mom only in the city, I am not very keen on the space that I require. Also Eon is bigger than K10 and hence ease of driving/parking is also a criterion. But yes, the interiors in the Eon are miles ahead of it's competitors!

Quote:

Originally Posted by _raVan_ (Post 2557082)
Since you already have a Verna, there are two looks into this:
a) Talk to the dealer about brand loyalty and get higher discounts
b) Since you already have a Hyundai, why not try the Maruti?

Head to head, I personally feel that Eon will be a better choice. But Alto is no lesser. Its low cost of ownership will help a lot. Both the cars are backed by the best A.S.S.'es in the country.

Why is Honda Brio out of your case?

Both a and b have been on my mind @raVan. I am in a dilemma regarding the same! Also, the fact that the Maruti in question has been tried and tested is pulling me more towards it at present! Anyway will be TDing both soon :)

The Brio, was never in, as we do not want to spend more than 3.75L on this hatch, even though I would prefer the 4 cylinders to 3 any day! But after reading about improved NVH levels in the K10, I seem to be ok for it!

The Alto 0.8 liter is too old, outdated and basic. Remove. Between the Alto K10 & the Eon, the only real advantage that the Maruti has is the engine. It's an incredibly fun car to drive. In all other areas, the Eon beats it hollow. The Eon is definitely the more "complete" package. And since you are looking for a city commuter, the engine will do the job.

I would highly recommend you to test-drive the Chevy Beat as well. It would be my pick of the 4, and there are plenty of discounts available as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankurvirmani19 (Post 2557078)
EON is no doubt a good car, but yet to prove itself.

It's a basic car made by a manufacturer who has a reputation of reliable, high quality cars. What exactly does the Eon have to prove?

The Beat,Spark could be good alternatives ; all said and done , a four cylinder motor is way smoother.

Slightly OT but Maruti needs to wake up now as the challenge in its strongest area viz. the sub-1000cc compact catrgory has intensified.

Remember 1998 when the Santro was launched and Maruti quickly put its act together and blew away the rest with rocker 16 valve mpfi engines.

@ Added Flavour

From the wonderful thread of the test Drive of Eon, this particular photo will help you decide...

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAS (Post 2558488)
@ Added Flavour

From the wonderful thread of the test Drive of Eon, this particular photo will help you decide...

I have not seen the Eon yet, but looking at this picture, in particular the position of the camera (look at the ground, camera is closer to the Eon and at wide angles, that makes a big difference), I feel that the size difference is a little exaggerated here.

Alto k10 is the car IMO.
The resale value is yet to be proven by the eon.
In this segment a tried and tested car is the best bet.
Eon is promising, but i would right now stay away owing to the relatively higher maintenence of hyundai cars

Choose K10 over EON
1) Much more power, incredible fast, fun to drive.
2) Decent handling, Hyundais are generally horrible.
3) Low cost of ownership.
4) Maruti A$$ & network
5) More features at less cost + you get a tacho too.

If you can stretch a little further Beat is a good choice. It is excellent city car with great built quality & reasonable pep. The ride is just awesome.

As a city car EON should do the job. It has great looks when comparing with other entry level hatch and interior fit and finish are also a bench mark in this segment.

Having said that, K10 would be more fun to drive, has a more powerful engine, carries the MS badge add-on after sales service and with the discounts given at this time , the K10 also looks like a good option.