Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: WagonR or Hyundai Eon or any other hatchback for a city with narrow roads?
Maruti WagonR 82 82.83%
Hyundai Eon 8 8.08%
Others(Please specify with reasoning). 9 9.09%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2011, 13:46   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: WagonR over Hyundai Eon-Correct decision?

For elderly comfort, I don't think anything comes close by as a Wagon R in that bracket. I have had 2 of them in our family, the current gen & the previous gen. My dad finds it very comfortable to get in, get out & drive due to the seat height.

Eon & Wagon R are 3 pots, so there is real advantage of engine. But as you said, the low end of current Wagon R is pathetic compared to the previous gen. But the plastics are much better, space on offer is better & the stability of current gen is leagues ahead of old one. I have taken the current gen to 140 kmph [and still stable] on an empty stretch where as I have taken the previous gen to a max 100 kmph any time - so much is the difference.

The suspension is tuned for comfort, so pot holes are dismissed so nicely & you don't feel the jolts inside too.

I managed a mileage of 24 kmpl also on this highway driving mostly on 90-100 kmph with A/C on. The gear shift is solid CRAP - the old gen as well as new gen!
Old 4th November 2011, 13:57   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the input everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post

So I vote for WagonR. Also, if you can add poll to this thread it will be much easy to see the verdict.
Added a poll.Lets see the verdict.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
EDIT: If it is not too personal, could you share the reason to downgrade from Ritz? What difficulties did you dad face?
Our family(incl uncles) has 3 Ritzs.Ours was the first one and as of now has the least damage.I used my Ritz for over 1 year in Patna without any damages,my uncle's Ritz which is newer has already undergone front bumper replacement and right side painting.The 3rd Ritz has few dents and scrapings here and there.I feel its all because of the loose traffic(cycles,cycle rickshaws,autos etc).
1.The Ritz was getting scraped left-right due to the stupid traffic sense here.
2.Dad had difficulty in reversing it in tight spaces which we get into on many occasions inspite of having a reverse sensor.
3.Lack of parking space at my clinic.
4.This is the best one,our driver refused to take it out as he feared he'll scrape it somewhere and then all hell(read ME) will break lose on him.

But i must tell you,its one of the most practical cars in market these days,easier to maintain and gives a great mileage.I love driving it and have taken it on long trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup View Post
Why dont you check out the brio?
Hah,sadly Honda is yet to set shop in Bihar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
I would also recommend the Sparky, if you're still looking, because the Sparky has a better boot and is roomy/airy and also allows you to sit in, instead of sink in (although nowhere near the WagonR) and also offers you LPG (just like the WagonR). It is also more economical to purchase than the Waggie but service depends on your location. I've had no issue with my SC till date.
I'm not sure about the service of Chevy here in my town.There is an agency here but it seems they are the branch point of Patna showroom and i'm not sure about after sales service.Moreover,it looks smaller than WagonR and mom is not keen on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
The gear shift is solid CRAP - the old gen as well as new gen!
What do you mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Did your Dad TD the cars himself and had any views for or against any one of them. The best is to let him test drive the cars and decide for himself.
Dad has not driven the Eon.Thats a good suggestion to let him have a TD.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 4th November 2011 at 14:06.
Old 4th November 2011, 15:55   #18
BHPian

I used my Wagon R for 4 years & apart from the FE, I sincerely had no other reason to upgrade. It is a very capable car & has quite eased handling when it comes to Indian roads. The Eon is a good option which just marginally misses out on the Wagon R due to is interior space & not so peppy engine.
Old 4th November 2011, 18:38   #19
Senior - BHPian

re: Maruti WagonR over Hyundai Eon? EDIT : Bought WagonR with ABS / Airbags

Actually the best size (shorter and narrower) is the Alto K10. It can squeeze through where others will get stuck, and is a breeze to park. The only down side is the low seating height. If you can bear that you have an ideal vehicle for heavy unruly traffic. Of course it has no ABS, but I do not think that ABS can help braking in slow and heavy traffic.

If you are wary of scratches, put on some rubber, side and bumper protectors, the type used in buses (about 2" wide and 1" thick).
Old 6th November 2011, 02:40   #20
BHPian

The low end response of the EON won't be anywhere close to that of the K10 WagonR. You are basically comparing across segments. Even the Estilo is a good option. I for one, dont find any differences between the Estilo and the WagonR. Estilo on the other hand can be bought cheaper than a WagonR.
Old 6th November 2011, 05:28   #21
BHPian

Eon should be more appropriately compared to the Alto instead of the Wagon R. There are other newer fellows to take on Wagon R.
Old 6th November 2011, 10:14   #22
Senior - BHPian

Would suggest you Wagon R. We have one and it has now completed 21,XXX kms. The easy of ingress egress is very nice, one of the best I would say. Space is also excellent and my 84 year old Grandfather appreciated this car more than Baleno ( which we have ) and relative's Second Generation Honda City. His points were space, ease of ingress and egress and generous amount of greenhouse.

At moderate speeds like 80-90 kmph, the Waggie is really comfortable. Drive is rather effortless at this speed while dynamics are still in control. Ride quality is also nice as compared to earlier Waggie and the best amongst i10, Waggie, Alto, Santro. I am yet to drive Eon.

Regarding gearshift, I think its much better than earlier gen. My uncle has earlier gen Waggie ( covered over 1.5 lakh kms ) and after driving that Waggie, the new one has much better gearshift. But ofcourse its not like the Fiesta, etc. But not bad at all.

I suggest you go through the official test drive by TBHP, its an excellent review of such a well know commuter car.
Old 6th November 2011, 12:46   #23
BHPian

Do take a TD before finalizing. I voted for the WagonR only due to the following reasongs;
1. Tallboy = Easy ingress/egress
2. Practicality. I'm assuming the extra boot space available in Eon will not be required by your parents that much. When needed, seats would be folded.
3. Maruti's better after sales esp, in your area as claimed by you
4. Waggie is tried and tested.

Make no mistake, if the car is for you, go for the Eon. It's that good.
Old 8th November 2011, 19:54   #24
BHPian

I have taken a test drive of Eon and will definitely not recommend it against wagon R.

Though design and interiors of the car are good it definitely lacks in the engine department. There were lots of vibrations on the gear knob and when driven with Ac on on lower gears there was a push. The engine did not feel refined, though the car easily touched 70-80 kmph but the feel was not good with AC on.

Hyundai should have given a proper santro engine for this car may be in a state of detune to do better or reduce the price by Rs 40,000 to sell this car in good numbers.
Old 9th November 2011, 12:47   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Actually the best size (shorter and narrower) is the Alto K10. It can squeeze through where others will get stuck, and is a breeze to park. The only down side is the low seating height. If you can bear that you have an ideal vehicle for heavy unruly traffic. Of course it has no ABS, but I do not think that ABS can help braking in slow and heavy traffic.
Alto voted out early on due to egress/ingress issue and my Dad has back problem.And as far as ABS is concerned,i feel there are many a times when it'll be helpful in city traffic also.Its not that we need ABS but if its there,it does help when required.Moreover,this car will be used for highway at times and i admit,its required for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
If you are wary of scratches, put on some rubber, side and bumper protectors, the type used in buses (about 2" wide and 1" thick).
Well sir,thats a suggestion which is of no use.If that were to be done,one would have to cover the whole car in rubber strips!The kind of traffic here is not smooth sailing but like misguided missiles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
The low end response of the EON won't be anywhere close to that of the K10 WagonR. You are basically comparing across segments. Even the Estilo is a good option. I for one, dont find any differences between the Estilo and the WagonR. Estilo on the other hand can be bought cheaper than a WagonR.
I never liked the Estilo so that was never in contention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock75 View Post

Hyundai should have given a proper santro engine for this car may be in a state of detune to do better or reduce the price by Rs 40,000 to sell this car in good numbers.
+1 to that,if they dont reduce the price,i dont see it threatening Alto anytime sooner.

By the way can anyone tell me how much would be the waiting period as of now?I went to the dealer yesterday and he said that the car will be delivered in 30-45 days period.Is the waiting so less?I used to think that WagonR being from Maruti will have some more waiting time.I did not book as i want delivery in January after 15th so will be booking in December.Also if someone could check about the discounts being offered on Vxi with ABS.Thanks in advance.
Old 9th November 2011, 13:26   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Hi people,since last couple of months,we have been on a lookout for a replacement for our Santro.We have a Ritz Vxi but due to my Dad having difficulties in driving it,we shifted it to Gurgaon to be with my brother.We have zeroed in on WagonR Vxi and Hyundai Eon.Now there are some points that i would like to mention -
# The car must not be wide - Both Eon and Wagon R have identical width
# Should have a better reversing visibility and good driving comfort for elders. - Wagon R, More poweful engine, large glass area, high seeating
# Safety feature (ABS) is a must. Wagon R. No variant of Eon comes with ABS. One variant comes with driver airbag. No ABS
# Egress-Ingress should be like Santro and not to sit down. Wagon R
# Must not be claustrophobic. Eon has small glass area. Wagon R wins
# Last but not the least,the after sales service should be good. Wagon R wins

Now considering the cars,I've driven the new WagonR for a good 1 week over 400kms and found it to be fine.The only problem i felt was that the lower end grunt is not as good as Santro and one needs to rev it a bit more.+ for it is that it comes with ABS and an amazing service station here. - is the lower end grunt.And off late i've seen Maruti vehicles making more trips to service center than their Hyundai counterparts during same duration and in same driving conditions.
Hyundai Eon was good during test drive but engine does need revving a bit.Overall a decent product. + great styling and interiors. - is the price,i feel its overpriced by atleast 25k-30k.And i must admit,it has the worst after sales service in my town,second only to Tata(thats why Tata also is not being considered).
So the WagonR is the favorite as of now.

Now will you guys with all the experience tell me if our choice is fine.Our daily commute ranges from 10-15kms with occasional monthly trip of 150kms up-down to Patna.So we are not considering any diesel variant.Should we lookout for diesel variants also?Moreover,we are not willing to travel to Patna for any service related issues so have ruled out Toyota Liva/VW Polo/Fiat Punto/Ford Figo.
Please help.
Thanks and regards.
Please see my comments in bold. Wagon R should be your choice.
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2012, 13:54   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks a lot guys for all the discussion here in this thread.After the harsh winters,i went ahead and booked a WagonR Vxi with ABS and Airbags this month.Now waiting for the delivery,maybe around month end.Will post details once i get the car.
Old 17th February 2012, 14:14   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Thanks a lot guys for all the discussion here in this thread.After the harsh winters,i went ahead and booked a WagonR Vxi with ABS and Airbags this month.Now waiting for the delivery,maybe around month end.Will post details once i get the car.
Nice choice. Congrats! Appreciate that you booked the variant with safety equipments.

Getting delivery is the pain with the fully loaded WagonR VXi. Because of which the sales guys try their best to make you pick the regular VXi.
Old 4th March 2012, 10:21   #29
Senior - BHPian

i was wondering about the update, congrats! Your signature said Eon (2012) so I figured you must have gone with the Eon.
For city driving i found the wagon R to be amazing. has a fair amount of power if needed for a highway run, but nippy enough for the stop and go traffic. used to travel in a friends wagon R for almost a year, to and from work. really liked the roominess that car has to offer and the fact that visibility is amazing in this.
Great choice on the wagonR.
madan80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2012, 15:34   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80
i was wondering about the update, congrats! Your signature said Eon (2012) so I figured you must have gone with the Eon.
Great choice on the wagonR.
Thanks.My signature needs to be updated although the Eon and XUV are in italics(meaning they are planned).Got delivery yesterday and will post the details in 10 days time as i'm travelling right now.This is for the time being.

Name:  ForumRunner_20120304_153038.png
Views: 7752
Size:  349.4 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20120304_153049.png
Views: 16727
Size:  300.2 KB

Last edited by suhaas307 : 4th March 2012 at 16:47. Reason: Edited text as per report.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks