Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: WagonR or Hyundai Eon or any other hatchback for a city with narrow roads?
Maruti WagonR 82 82.83%
Hyundai Eon 8 8.08%
Others(Please specify with reasoning). 9 9.09%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2012, 15:38   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Maruti WagonR over Hyundai Eon? EDIT : Bought WagonR with ABS / Airbags

Congratulations on getting the Wagon R, this is a fantastic city car which can take lots of luggage as well. A very practical car for ever house chores. When it comes to traveling with elderly its one of the best available as its very easy to get in and get out.

Maruti will ensure your ownership experience over the years is painless and fun.
Old 17th October 2012, 07:33   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Hitting on this thread after a long time.My Wagon R has been giving a trouble free run for the period of ownership.But our 7year old Santro was giving troubles after over 50k on the odo. So we decided to exchange it with another Santro as Dad was not comfortable driving the Waggy.We got a good deal with old car going out for 1.4L and discounts and offers added it up to 1.75L.At end,we paid about 2.25L including everything for a Santro GL Plus.We plan to get an audio system and side strips for it.

Name:  ForumRunner_20121017_073556.png
Views: 10483
Size:  701.1 KB

Maruti WagonR over Hyundai Eon? EDIT : Bought WagonR with ABS / Airbags-20121016_110345.jpg Dad with his new car.One can see my Wagon R behind it.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 17th October 2012 at 07:35.
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2012, 23:44   #33
BHPian

Re: Maruti WagonR over Hyundai Eon? EDIT : Bought WagonR with ABS / Airbags

Hey nice! Reminds me of the times when I had my Wagon R and my dad used the Santro! Which one's better?!? I still don't know.
Currently dad's got a Jazz and I'm using the Santro. Dad sometimes claims that the Santro/Wagon R were more comfortable than the Jazz! The previous generation just loves the tall boys!
Old 21st May 2015, 21:50   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Updating after a long time. Somehow my car was not behaving properly and had been troubling me with a few niggles here and there. Details here-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
My little less than 3 year old Wagon R (13650KMS) had a lot of steering shuddering and some noise coming from RHS front. The first visit was in May for the same issue. I told them that the steering has some issue which they rejected and said its something else. That time, they replaced the front strut mountings but the noise persisted. I again took it to them in June wherein they detected it to be damaged front swing arms which I asked them to replace under extended warranty. But the noise and shuddering persisted. I was able to feel the shuddering and noise but not them. The car made another visit in August wherein the steering assembly was opened and found to have water inside it due to broken seal. There was some damage also but they said that it did not warrant any change and noise will go. Alas it did not solve the issue. So I gave a nice feedback to Maruti citing all the issues and how they've failed to resolve it inspite of pointing the fault. This Sunday I took it again to the workshop and literally threatened them that if they don't solve it this time, I might end up taking some legal action. So they took trials and started work. The steering assembly was replaced under warranty. The RHS swing arm was changed out of warranty(it was damaged in about 6 months time). After everything was done, we went out for trial. Steering noise had vanished but there is some khat khat sound still persisting so they again tried to find it. In all probability its one of the engine mounts. Due to lack of time, I could not pursue the matter. Will send it for repairs later. Another thing that was found that the coil inside the steering (airbag module?) was broken due to incorrect fitting on previous attempt at correcting the centering of steering. As its not available, a demand order was put for it. I have categorically ruled out paying a penny for it as it was not my fault for breaking it. They said they'll look into it. I hope things get resolved soon. My trust with Maruti is going down. Moreover, as pointed out in another thread, service is not cheap. But reason is not costly spare parts rather parts that do not last. A swing arm not lasting for about 6months (2500KMS) doesn't inspire confidence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
The lower arm on my Wagon R has been replaced twice, once for both sides and once for only RHS. First time it was replaced around 12K KMS which I claimed under extended warranty. Second time, it was at 14K KMS!
Yes, it was replaced so early on and I had even shot off a mail to MSIL to which they said that its a regular wear and tear part so nothing can be said about durability! I feel Maruti parts are not as well made as they were earlier. My 3 year old Wagon R has got multiple items changed, most importantly the strut mountings, the steering assembly (manufacturing defect?) and lower arms. Ya, roads are bad but not that bad that it will damage the parts. The car is not at all rashly driven.
My last visit was last Sunday wherein they found out the "khat-khat" sound coming from worn out upper engine mount. It was replaced and now after a long time, most of the noises are gone.

Since I was getting bored one day, I thought on doing some practical enhancements to the car.

DRLs:
Did a google search and found some LED DRLs on eBay. Ordered 2 of them and took help from electrician at MASS for connecting it. He connected it to an individual switch just next to fog lamp switch. The lights can be switched on when desired. I use them mainly during rains, fog or on highway drives. I never use it at night.

PUDDLE LAMPS:
Ordered for 3 pairs of COB LED lights from eBay with festoon attachments. Replaced the Body/Cabin lights with it, then wired the other LEDs to the cabin light power source. Front lights were wired to power the front door puddle lamps and rear cabin lights for rear door lamps. All wiring was done hiding it under the rubber beadings. It looked good but wires were not fixed so kept dangling now and then. Here I again took help from the electrician at MASS and he re-routed all the wires through the inside of door pads. Thanks to him, it was worth it.

STOP LAMPS:
After a few days, another itch got into me and started thinking on putting stop lamps on the doors like in SUVs and high end cars. Again eBay to rescue, ordered 4 red DRLs from them and they were delivered in a few days. This time, I connected them to individual wires of earlier put lamps.

EXTRA 12V SOCKET:
I got this one for my dash cam that should be here by Sunday evening. Asked MASS to keep it inside the dashboard hidden away from prying eyes.

The final product looks good in my opinion and also serves the purpose. My personal favourite snaps are 10th and last one. The puddle lamps have good brightness and serve the purpose very well and so do the stop lamps. I have few more things to do in agenda, hopefully will take out time to do it.

Note: All enhancements were done on separate days. Sorry for not able to explain all the things, please feel free to ask if you guys want to know anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti WagonR over Hyundai Eon? EDIT : Bought WagonR with ABS / Airbags-img_4406.jpg  

Maruti WagonR over Hyundai Eon? EDIT : Bought WagonR with ABS / Airbags-img_4404.jpg  

Maruti WagonR over Hyundai Eon? EDIT : Bought WagonR with ABS / Airbags-img_4369.jpg  

Maruti WagonR over Hyundai Eon? EDIT : Bought WagonR with ABS / Airbags-img_4370.jpg  

Maruti WagonR over Hyundai Eon? EDIT : Bought WagonR with ABS / Airbags-img_4382.jpg  

Maruti WagonR over Hyundai Eon? EDIT : Bought WagonR with ABS / Airbags-img_4387.jpg  

Maruti WagonR over Hyundai Eon? EDIT : Bought WagonR with ABS / Airbags-img_4397.jpg  

Maruti WagonR over Hyundai Eon? EDIT : Bought WagonR with ABS / Airbags-img_4398.jpg  

Maruti WagonR over Hyundai Eon? EDIT : Bought WagonR with ABS / Airbags-img_4399.jpg  

Maruti WagonR over Hyundai Eon? EDIT : Bought WagonR with ABS / Airbags-img_4402.jpg  

Maruti WagonR over Hyundai Eon? EDIT : Bought WagonR with ABS / Airbags-img_4391.jpg  

Maruti WagonR over Hyundai Eon? EDIT : Bought WagonR with ABS / Airbags-img_4375.jpg  

Maruti WagonR over Hyundai Eon? EDIT : Bought WagonR with ABS / Airbags-img_4368.jpg  

Maruti WagonR over Hyundai Eon? EDIT : Bought WagonR with ABS / Airbags-img_4396.jpg  

Last edited by BoneCollector : 21st May 2015 at 22:12.
BoneCollector is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 10:51   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Good mods there Doc! Just one point though. Please try to find a fixed point for the dashcam power source. Honestly, it is not only sticking out like an eye sore but also dangerous. It can cause a short circuit if the center point insulation peels off due to wear & tear or rat bites. The wear n tear would be high because it will be tossing around freely. Why not get it fixed on the lower center part of the dashboard?

Regards.

Last edited by saket77 : 22nd May 2015 at 10:52.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 11:49   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
^^ Good mods there Doc! Just one point though. Please try to find a fixed point for the dashcam power source. Honestly, it is not only sticking out like an eye sore but also dangerous. It can cause a short circuit if the center point insulation peels off due to wear & tear or rat bites. The wear n tear would be high because it will be tossing around freely. Why not get it fixed on the lower center part of the dashboard?

Regards.
Thanks for pointing it out. I will be fixing the dash cam power source to it and then fix it to dashboard. My intention is to keep this car for atleast another 3 years thats why doing step by step functional modifications. This modification also paves way for anything of this sort required in my future vehicles. The body light fuse has been upgraded and everything checked at MASS.
Old 14th September 2020, 08:36   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Updating this thread after 5 long years. The age has started showing up with lots of rattles in suspension components as well as other plastic parts. Considering the current scenario, the running about of car has decreased a lot. We had plans of changing it this year or early next year but not, it's been put indefinitely on hold. It makes sense to put in 20-30K into this rather than go in for a new car with an investment of over 5L! As it is, this car is only a city car and won't be seeing highways anytime sooner or ever.

Maruti WagonR over Hyundai Eon? EDIT : Bought WagonR with ABS / Airbags-img_20200914_081343__01.jpg
Crossed 50K kms just an hour back.
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 08:03   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Realised yesterday why one should never use a non-conforming fuse even though it's just a 12V connection. Wagon R was running with 100/90W setup since last 8 years with Hella wiring harness. Noticed last week that high beam is not working. So opened up the fuses of relay to check and this is what I found!

Maruti WagonR over Hyundai Eon? EDIT : Bought WagonR with ABS / Airbags-img_20201102_075054__01.jpg

Maruti WagonR over Hyundai Eon? EDIT : Bought WagonR with ABS / Airbags-img_20201102_075048__01.jpg

Maruti WagonR over Hyundai Eon? EDIT : Bought WagonR with ABS / Airbags-img_20201102_075035__01.jpg

Maruti WagonR over Hyundai Eon? EDIT : Bought WagonR with ABS / Airbags-img_20201102_075044__01.jpg

A few months back, the high beam fuse had got blown so had replaced it with a locally available one as I couldn't get an original one. The whole fuse along with the box was in molten state, basically FUSED to each other. Have removed the relay harness and gone back to stock 60/55W setup as this car is now relegated to only a city car, can cope with normal bulbs too.
BoneCollector is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 18:17   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

We had plans of changing our Wagon R this October if not for the pandemic. Multiple issues led us to postpone it for a couple of years maybe.

The car had some suspension issues plus both the bumpers were broken at their attachment points along with a few more issues. It was sent to MASS for work. They took 4 days for everything. Since bumpers were to be replaced, I went for the facelifted one as I always liked the new chin. Work was carried out to my satisfaction. There are no rattles from the suspension right now, car feels taut. Total expenses were less than 20K and we feel we can hold if for another 2 years. Thanks to DBHPian Leoshashi for helping me out with a few things.

Maruti WagonR over Hyundai Eon? EDIT : Bought WagonR with ABS / Airbags-img_20201212_143504.jpg
Went to MASS like this.

Maruti WagonR over Hyundai Eon? EDIT : Bought WagonR with ABS / Airbags-img_20201212_143440.jpg
Came back with a facelift, this has changed its look completely in a pleasant way.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 12th December 2020 at 18:19.
BoneCollector is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks