Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

View Poll Results: WagonR or Hyundai Eon or any other hatchback for a city with narrow roads?
Maruti WagonR 82 82.83%
Hyundai Eon 8 8.08%
Others(Please specify with reasoning). 9 9.09%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2011, 10:25   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti WagonR over Hyundai Eon? EDIT : Bought WagonR with ABS / Airbags

Hi people,since last couple of months,we have been on a lookout for a replacement for our Santro.We have a Ritz Vxi but due to my Dad having difficulties in driving it,we shifted it to Gurgaon to be with my brother.We have zeroed in on WagonR Vxi and Hyundai Eon.Now there are some points that i would like to mention -
# The car must not be wide.
# Should have a better reversing visibility and good driving comfort for elders.
# Safety feature (ABS) is a must.
# Egress-Ingress should be like Santro and not to sit down.
# Must not be claustrophobic.
# Last but not the least,the after sales service should be good.

Now considering the cars,I've driven the new WagonR for a good 1 week over 400kms and found it to be fine.The only problem i felt was that the lower end grunt is not as good as Santro and one needs to rev it a bit more.+ for it is that it comes with ABS and an amazing service station here. - is the lower end grunt.And off late i've seen Maruti vehicles making more trips to service center than their Hyundai counterparts during same duration and in same driving conditions.
Hyundai Eon was good during test drive but engine does need revving a bit.Overall a decent product. + great styling and interiors. - is the price,i feel its overpriced by atleast 25k-30k.And i must admit,it has the worst after sales service in my town,second only to Tata(thats why Tata also is not being considered).
So the WagonR is the favorite as of now.

Now will you guys with all the experience tell me if our choice is fine.Our daily commute ranges from 10-15kms with occasional monthly trip of 150kms up-down to Patna.So we are not considering any diesel variant.Should we lookout for diesel variants also?Moreover,we are not willing to travel to Patna for any service related issues so have ruled out Toyota Liva/VW Polo/Fiat Punto/Ford Figo.
Please help.
Thanks and regards.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 4th November 2011 at 10:46.
BoneCollector is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2011, 10:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: WagonR over Hyundai Eon-Correct decision?

Both are good and capable cars in their own right. Did your Dad TD the cars himself and had any views for or against any one of them. The best is to let him test drive the cars and decide for himself.

In general we have found in the past the WagonR was more suited for elders in the family (Light steering, No need to bend knee while getting in or getting out of the car) and extremely well suited for the city drives. We have never tried EON so maybe EON could be better or worse then WagonR hence the recommendation to let me drive and pick what suits him more.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2011, 10:46   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
And off late i've seen Maruti vehicles making more trips to service center than their Hyundai counterparts during same duration and in same driving conditions.

Now will you guys with all the experience tell me if our choice is fine.
The Wagon-R in my opinion gives the best bang for your buck ; your choice is spot on.

The best in Technology,an all new platform,easy availability of spares,tall boy,split folding seats , good resale - what more can you get in one package?
Old 4th November 2011, 10:50   #4
BHPian

According to me you should go for wagonR as its a tried and tested vehicle. Its a very reliable and good performer, not to mention spacious too. Eon might be okay for city driving but since you have mentioned that the car will be making 150 km+ trips in highways, I would not suggest the eon as it will run out of steam in long runs. Go for the car with the bigger engine and good reputation.
Old 4th November 2011, 11:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

I had great expectations from Eon only till I saw the car in flesh. The car is too claustrophobic and short of space. Also the reviews are not very positive on the engine and vibration issues.
Old 4th November 2011, 11:01   #6
BHPian

I recommend Waggy even though I haven't driven the Eon. I have driven the new Waggy for some distance and I would any day prefer it given me a choice.
The only fact that I see will favour Eon is the new age styling.
Waggy is an extremely VFM car unless you are a driving enthusiast , It has very very good space inside and the tall boy design and seating aid in a comfortable seating as well as easy ingress and exit.
The downer I see is the low LET. I will always stall the engine when reversing on slight incline .
The engine has some amount of vibes but is within tolerable limits.

Last edited by bullboy : 4th November 2011 at 11:02.
Old 4th November 2011, 11:21   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
# Should have a better reversing visibility and good driving comfort for elders.
# Safety feature (ABS) is a must.
# Egress-Ingress should be like Santro and not to sit down.
# Must not be claustrophobic.

The above mentioned requisites shuts down the case in favour of wagonR.

The pluses of eon would be :

1. Smaller car hence easier to drive in city. But this is somewhat offset by limited rear visibility.

2. More mileage
3. Novelty factor

Why dont you check out the brio?
Old 4th November 2011, 11:33   #8
BHPian

WagonR would be a better option as per me. It has a better seating position, has sufficient cabin space , good road visibility and has the safety feature that you have kept as a priority. Service should not be an issue with the MS badge.

And for figures like 10-15kms/day diesel does not make sense.
Old 4th November 2011, 11:34   #9
Team-BHP Support

My Wagon R is 7 years old. I bought it second hand in 2006 when she was barely 2 years old.

The Wagon grows on you like very few cars can. Excellent space and comfort.
Getting in and out is fantastic.
As a 4 seater city hatchback in the 4 lakhs range it has IMHO no competition.

Forget taking your family around, you can even transport luggage. Lots of it.
Mattresses, wardrobe, cycle and water tank are some of the stuff I have carried in it.
Old 4th November 2011, 11:42   #10
BHPian

WagonR, once the novelty of a new car wears off, the smaller space of the Eon, will be regretted and the spacious WagonR will be missed.

And Like everyone above said, ingress and egress for the elders will be better in the WagonR.

Best Always
Old 4th November 2011, 11:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

The necessity of ABS automatically negates Eon as none of the variants have ABS, so Wagon R it is.
Old 4th November 2011, 11:49   #12
Senior - BHPian

Yups, Wagon R any day, better engine, fantastic ***, roomier, and easier ingress/egress. Eon is a better looker, but functionality wise, can't stand up to the Wagon R.
Old 4th November 2011, 12:33   #13
BHPian

+1 to WagonR, except that the new version has a tiny boot. I would also recommend the Sparky, if you're still looking, because the Sparky has a better boot and is roomy/airy and also allows you to sit in, instead of sink in (although nowhere near the WagonR) and also offers you LPG (just like the WagonR). It is also more economical to purchase than the Waggie but service depends on your location. I've had no issue with my SC till date.
Old 4th November 2011, 12:38   #14
Senior - BHPian

WagonR anyday. It is 1L engine, also it depriciates very slowly, so your resale value would be great. Eon may be best for city only, but WagonR is a versatile vehicle that has travelled all across country. I remember reading a blog of a senior citizen couple who went from Pune to Leh in their new WagonR! Hell I would be an owner of WagonR had wifey not reluctant of its boxy shape.

So I vote for WagonR. Also, if you can add poll to this thread it will be much easy to see the verdict.

EDIT: If it is not too personal, could you share the reason to downgrade from Ritz? What difficulties did you dad face?
Old 4th November 2011, 12:44   #15
BHPian

My vote too goes to the Wagon-R. Personally have been using one over the last 4 years. Lookswise, not a stunner, but as already mentioned above, once the initial hoopla dies down, the practicality factor of the waggie wins hands down.

When i see my waggie parked besides cars like Getz, swift, etc, i feel that i have a dumb looking car. But, when it comes to transporting luggage, my waggie scores tall over the competition and moreover, it is suited for sedate driving.
Rajesh K R is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed