Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2006, 03:11   #1

Inputs needed on Indica's Turbo charger :

Hi All,

I am a very rare car rider. I need some inputs before I make up my mind for Indica Turbo for my maiden car purchase.

First of all, Congratulations to Team-BHP for building up such a great site. No other site has such thorough information on Indian Cars and it s really great resource for car savvy netizens.

I am planning to get car within a week. My requirements are :

1) Good Fuel Economy
2) Spacious Car.

Looks wise Indica has attracted me from long but I am not sure if 9000-11000 Kms per year drive will be worth for a disel car. My questions are :

1) Is Indica's Turbo Charger at all usefull for normal citiy driving conditions. I see that Turbo Charger kicks off at 2500 rpm which anyone would not reach at very frequently.

2) If Inidica gets turbo-charger with intercoller in market in future , is it feasible, technically and finincially to get replaced the turbo charger in current Indica ?

One more question (not on Turbocharger) :

3) Is it true that high torque of disel car compansates the low power at low speeds in city driving. (Comfort of less fequent gear shifting Vs frustration of low power)

I would appreciate if someone could help me with these questions at your sooner convinience. .

By,
just-a-starter
Old 8th March 2006, 10:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

Looking at your requirements ... the indica is the way to go.

1. The turbo is very useful, you try driving the non-turbo and the turbo. And immediately you'l feel the usefulness of the turbo.

2. Its possible, but honestly dont really think its worth the hassle.

3. Yes, the higher torque figures amount to less gearshifting in crawling city traffic as the car pulls better from lower revs. Trust me i drive a diesel myself. And nothing could be better than a diesel in city traffic.

Diesels have a narrow rev-band to play with when compared to petrols. But the torque they offer in the lower revrange kind of compensates for that. But indicas have a redline of 5.5k rpm if im not mistaken. My crdi tops out at 4500rpm.

In my case, even if my car wouldnt run a lot, i would still go in for a diesel. Modern diesels arent too much on maintenence. And indicas are known for cheap spares...so costs shouldnt be an issue.

You cant go wrong with the indica, if you dont mind a few quality issues like build quality etc. Its got more pros than cons.

Drifter
Old 8th March 2006, 10:45   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by just-a-starter
2) If Inidica gets turbo-charger with intercoller in market in future , is it feasible, technically and finincially to get replaced the turbo charger in current Indica ?
The Indica turbo does have an intercooler. Just that it is not advertised in order to differentiate it from the Indigo. There is a thread by tsk1979 listing the differences between the Indica turbo and the Indigo.
Old 8th March 2006, 11:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by just-a-starter
Hi All,

I

just-a-starter
The Indica turbo already has an intercooler. Strangely enuff, TATA does not advertise this fact. Lift the bonnet of the Indica and you will see the Intercooler on the top of the engine, as well as the plaslic ducting on the bonnet underside for the air feed ot the turbo and the intercooler.

GO for the indica- Its a brilliant car.

But is u r only doing 1 K per month, Y dont u look at the xeta- will save at least 70 K model to model compared wit the Turbo
Old 8th March 2006, 12:31   #5
Team-BHP Support

You dont need a diesel for 10000kms/year. Buy a petrol. If you want indica only Xeta is a good deal, but personally I would recommend a santro as its a much more comfortable car to drive in the city(gearshift etc.,)
Old 8th March 2006, 23:10   #6
BHPian

but i think turbo is more performer than xeta??any idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami
The Indica turbo already has an intercooler. Strangely enuff, TATA does not advertise this fact. Lift the bonnet of the Indica and you will see the Intercooler on the top of the engine, as well as the plaslic ducting on the bonnet underside for the air feed ot the turbo and the intercooler.

GO for the indica- Its a brilliant car.

But is u r only doing 1 K per month, Y dont u look at the xeta- will save at least 70 K model to model compared wit the Turbo

Most Viewed