Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2011, 10:39   #16
BHPian

Re: New WagonR Duo OR Chevy Spark LS LPG OR Hyundai i10 LPG?

LPG = INR 45/Liter
@15KM/Liter, Fuel cost / KM = INR 3

Petrol = INR 70/Liter
@15KM/Liter, Fuel cost / KM = INR 4.67

Difference in fuel cost is 4.67-3 = 1.67/KM
Your extended monthly running = 1000KM
Monthly Fuel cost difference = 1000 * 1.67= 1670

Wagon R Lxi LPG @483000
Wagon R Lxi @443000 = 483000-443000 = 40000 --- 40000/1670 = 24 Months
Estilo Lxi = 431000 (This is official price. I'm sure you'll get 20-30K discount here)

So even if one buys Wagon R Lxi LPG for first two years you will be compensating extra money which is used. Think again about alternate fuel decision. According to me Estilo is best bet for you. Same engine. Same reliability. Lxi should be available @400000 on road Bangalore.

Note: These are illustrative calculations. I may be wrong. Please take your own good time to verify calculations with real figures.
Old 10th December 2011, 10:55   #17
BHPian

1. The fuel tank lid has both LPG and Petrol filling point
This is the best part of the Wagon R. However am confused is the Wagon R available in CNG as well as LPG ?
Old 10th December 2011, 11:35   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer_dg View Post
This is the best part of the Wagon R. However am confused is the Wagon R available in CNG as well as LPG ?
Wagon R is available in
. Petrol Only
. Petrol + CNG = Green
. Petrol + LPG = Duo

In Delhi, Duo is not sold but Green is, while where CNG is not available Duo is and Green not.

As LPG is a Crude derivative, its price will follow the crude (and hence petrol) prices, while CNG is a separate product and follows lower pricing model, hence LPG may become quite expensive in future if petroleum product prices are deregulated.

A diesel vehicle has approximately twice the FE of CNG/LPG, hence per kilometer price will catch up soon with gas.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2011, 14:55   #19
Oxy
BHPian

Thanks a ton for all your suggestions folks!

After a lot of head scratching, I have finally arrived at a decision. I don't see any sense in spending 4.7 lakhs on a Wagon R Duo or an i10 LPG. I would rather spend 50k more and get myself a Vista TDi or the Beat diesel.

So, it's either going to be the Spark LS LPG, or the Vista TDi/Beat Diesel.

I would have to source the Vista TDi from Mysore since it's a BS3. Would there be any issues driving a BS3 vehicle in Bangalore? Would I be able to get a valid pollution certificate for the Vista TDi in Bangalore? Would it make the vehicle an easy target for the traffic cops?

Some input on this would be really helpful, I am an absolute noob on this subject.
Old 10th December 2011, 16:32   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalaps View Post
LPG = INR 45/Liter

Petrol = INR 70/Liter

Wagon R Lxi LPG @483000
Estilo Lxi = 431000 (This is official price. I'm sure you'll get 20-30K discount here)

So even if one buys Wagon R Lxi LPG for first two years you will be compensating extra money which is used. Think again about alternate fuel decision. According to me Estilo is best bet for you. Same engine. Same reliability. Lxi should be available @400000 on road Bangalore.

Note: These are illustrative calculations. I may be wrong. Please take your own good time to verify calculations with real figures.
Adding CNG

CNG = INR 31.5/kg
@20 KM/KG Fuel cost / KM = INR 1.575

Difference in fuel cost (Petrol vs CNG) is 4.67-1.57 = 3.1/KM
Monthly Fuel cost difference = 1000 * 3.1= 3100

Diesel = INR 45/liter
@15 KM/liter Fuel cost / KM = INR 3

I would go for either CNG or Diesel

UM

Last edited by UniqueMods : 10th December 2011 at 16:33.
Old 10th December 2011, 22:19   #21
h14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Thanks a ton for all your suggestions folks!

So, it's either going to be the Spark LS LPG, or the Vista TDi/Beat Diesel.

I would have to source the Vista TDi from Mysore since it's a BS3. Would there be any issues driving a BS3 vehicle in Bangalore?.
@Oxy, I personally feel that you have made a good decision. Trust me, being your first car, your monthly miles will surely increase.

Out of the Vista TDI and Beat Diesel, it all depends on your usage. Firstly, the Vista is a larger car and the downside being the TDI engine. On the other hand, the Beat is smaller on space when compared to Vista but the engine being a 3 pod is much better than the TDI. One drawback on the beat would be that it might feel a bit out of breath out on the open high way.

I'd personally recommend you go in for the Beat diesel, but if you feel that it is a bit low on space, then it has to be the Vista.

I'm not pretty sure on any issue in driving a Mysore registered car in Bangalore. Maybe others in here would be able to help you on information in this regard.

Last edited by h14 : 10th December 2011 at 22:33.
Old 11th December 2011, 21:41   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalaps View Post
LPG = INR 45/Liter

Petrol = INR 70/Liter

Wagon R Lxi LPG @483000

i am almost sure that you would not get the same mileage (KM per KG or Litre) while using LPG; real life mileage would be approx. 12-13 with LPG which would take away any advantage of using LPG against petrol.

I would also recommend you go the Diesel way. Vista TDi is a very competent vehicle OR look for CNG options.
Old 18th December 2011, 19:45   #23
Oxy
BHPian

It makes me sad to let all of you know that Maruti and Hyundai don't seem to care two hoots about selling me a car.

I ruled out a diesel since I didn't see the need of one considering my usage. Out of the options I had shortlisted, my wife really appreciated the convenience the Wagon R brought to the table. The SE is after me like anything to make me book the vehicle. The only problem - he can't offer me a test drive on the LPG variant. I don't want to buy the car before testing it's engine performance (read pulling power) on LPG mode with AC on. Just a short drive on the petrol variant is of practically no use.

Same is the case with Hyundai. When I called up Trident Hyundai today, and asked for a test drive of the i10 LPG, the SE says, "Saar, test drive is not possible on LPG car". I just said thanks and hung up.

Why do these manufacturers even bother to manufacture these cars if they don't intend to sell them? It's just plain baffling. We don't even buy sweets before tasting a sample!

I think I am only left with the option of the Spark LPG. The SE from Trident Chevrolet, Jayanagar seems very keen to sell me that car. He got the exact same variant I intend to buy to my office for a test drive. Plus, he is willing to bring the car to my residence as well for another drive, since my wife wants to study the car thoroughly.

Can anyone in the forum share their experience of the new gen Wagon R Duo test drive? It would really be a huge help for me to arrive at a decision.

Last edited by Oxy : 18th December 2011 at 19:51.
Old 18th December 2011, 23:34   #24
h14
BHPian

This attitude I believe is just sheer negligence from the dealers. Shoot in a mail to Maruti and Hyundai, you will get your test drive.
Old 19th December 2011, 13:08   #25
Senior - BHPian

If this is the attitude of SE, go blindly for Spark or you can even look at BEAT LPG.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2011, 14:26   #26
Oxy
BHPian

^^ Thanks deehunk, I think that is exactly what I am going to do now. I drove it today and found it to be pretty good. And the SE is offering the Spark LS LPG variant to me for 4L OTR with door beadings, remote central locking, mud flaps, floor/boot mats, perfumes and idol thrown in for free.

I think it's quite a decent deal.

Last edited by Oxy : 19th December 2011 at 14:27.
Old 21st December 2011, 12:09   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
^^ Thanks deehunk, I think that is exactly what I am going to do now. I drove it today and found it to be pretty good. And the SE is offering the Spark LS LPG variant to me for 4L OTR with door beadings, remote central locking, mud flaps, floor/boot mats, perfumes and idol thrown in for free.

I think it's quite a decent deal.
This seems to be a good deal, but I would go for it only after checking the competition. If spark feels good then both WagonR and i10 would have similar performance.

There may be many reasons for not having an LPG TD car, but low sales volume seems to be the most prevalent. You can verify this by checking the delivery time. If the time for delivery of LPG variant is much more than the petrol variety, then LPG sales must be few and far apart.
Old 21st December 2011, 13:46   #28
Senior - BHPian

Right now only Spark and WagonR comes with sequential injection system, no the new i10 as per available information at the dealer. WagonR is a Maruti product thats the only advantage but I have seen Old WagonR duo models performing badly after 25 to 30k, and the LPG kit is also not serviceable outside. Spark scores mainly on durability and the LPG kit is easily serviceable outside also at any BRC dealer.
Old 21st December 2011, 13:53   #29
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
This seems to be a good deal, but I would go for it only after checking the competition. If spark feels good then both WagonR and i10 would have similar performance.

There may be many reasons for not having an LPG TD car, but low sales volume seems to be the most prevalent. You can verify this by checking the delivery time. If the time for delivery of LPG variant is much more than the petrol variety, then LPG sales must be few and far apart.
Aroy, the WagonR and the i10 are a segment higher compared to the Spark. The price difference is close to 70k.

On enquiring with the dealers, I found that both the WagonR LPG and the i10 LPG were readily available off the shelf, the only thing is, the colour of your choice may not be available.

But they can't offer a test drive because they just don't have an LPG test drive vehicle. They asked me to take a test drive on the petrol variant. Now if I want to buy an LPG variant, a test drive on the petrol variant does not serve the purpose for me.

I emailed Maruti and got a call from Kalyani Motors and Bimal Auto Agency. Guess what they told me! "Saar, if you want to test drive the WagonR LPG, please come to our stockyard. We will give you a test drive there." (on a new vehicle lying in the stockyard! )

Last edited by Oxy : 21st December 2011 at 13:56.
Old 21st December 2011, 15:56   #30
Oxy
BHPian

Finally booked a Chevy Spark LS LPG (Velvet Red colour), will be updating the "I Booked My Car" thread shortly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks