Chevrolet Beat Diesel 75 71.43%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2012, 09:38   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Wagon R CNG vs Beat Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
@pganapthy: AFAIK, WagonR duo ( LPG ) has the LPG tank in place of the spare wheel well, with the spare in the boot instead. The WagonR CNG has full 35 litre petrol tank while the CNG tank is in the boot , leaving no luggage room.
Thank you very much for that information. I remember reading somewhere a couple of years ago that some OEM dual fuel car had a 5 or 10 litre petrol tank. IIRC it was a Maruti. Anyway, I may be wrong but it is useful for the OP to check this out.
Old 25th March 2012, 22:21   #47
BHPian

Today, I am very confused choosing which one to buy between Wagon R CNG (4.60 on road ) and Beat Diesel LS (5.30 on road). I took test drive of Beat and visited dealership to fee the Wagon R.
- At 6 feet, my right leg touches the central console in Beat, Wagon R is so much legroom. Similar my 5.3 feet wife doesn't find the view as good as Wagon R. Both of us feel we may just grow accustomed to Beat if we buy it, even then it can't beat Wagon R's space and view of the road for the driver.
- Beat is costing me 70 K extra on road. For that amount all I get is a small boot and the flexibility to drive to nearby towns on my own car (Wagon R would be too costly to drive to let's say Shimla, and then with no boot so impractical for out of town travel). Is it worth the extra money.

Please please please, help me get out of this confusion (and fast as Wagon R offer is just for next two days)
Old 28th March 2012, 15:49   #48
Senior - BHPian

So sandman, what did you choose? WagonR or Beat D?
Old 28th March 2012, 16:42   #49
BHPian

@satishchugh. hope I am not to late in replying. The Wagon R will be an absolute VFM deal.
The LS on the Beat is too spartan, only thing going for it is the superb driveablity in city traffic and fuel efficient diesel engine.
If you are looking for a Fill It, Shut It, Forget It, go for the Beat, (the 3 year/45,000 cashless maintenance package).

I had the similar dilemma, and I went for the Figo.
neofromcapone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2012, 14:15   #50
BHPian

Thanks neofromcapone!

I realize that Wagon R is absolute VFM. If you think from mind this is the car, however we human beings also think from heart, and that's where Beat beats Waggie

I booked Beat (D) LT yesterday and hope to get it on coming Sunday. Another factor apart from heart was that if I were to get a transfer out of Delhi (say Bangalore) then Wagon R will become a petrol car, whereas Beat will remain a Diesel wherever I go!!!
Old 8th April 2012, 12:40   #51
BHPian

Contgrats Satish. The Beat D is indeed a nice car. And It'd be more fun to drive then the Waggie and also be light on the wallet in the long run since its a Diesel.
Old 8th April 2012, 21:48   #52
BHPian

Congrats Satish, great choice, Beat It now.
Old 8th May 2012, 12:41   #53
BHPian

Hi Folks,

A colleague of mine has a Wagon R CNG and is very happy with it - unbelievable cost per kilometer. I too am in a similar dilemma - but one thought on diesel is what if the subsidies go? With the current rhetoric on fuel imports and subsidy burdens, should one not think of that possibility too (in my mind a real one) - In that case the CNG has a much stronger case
Old 8th June 2012, 21:39   #54
BANNED

With todays scheme on WagonR (34000 + 5% for RTO) against almost no discount on Beat and 11% RTO in maharastra.

Difference in OTR is almost 90,000. Considering petrol prices as 70 , i can buy 1280 liters using this 90000 and drive atleast 20000 KM .

So Wagon R it is ....

No doubt Beat beats Waggie hands down in case of interier and other plastic quality.

Last edited by idea : 8th June 2012 at 21:41.
Old 9th June 2012, 17:20   #55
Senior - BHPian

I was faced with a similar dilemma - Wagon R LPG vs Indica turbo 5 years ago. I was beginning to lean towards the wagon R, but then the indica annihilated the WR in the test drive. The handling, the ride qualityr, the whoosh of the turbo, while the WR was much more anemic w.r.t torque, especially the LPG version (and my house was in a hilly area) pretty much shot itself in the foot. Nowadays, the only regret i have is that I didnt cough up another 1L for the swift D.

Have you TD'd both the cars?
Old 9th June 2012, 17:37   #56
Senior - BHPian

I have a separate thread for CNG Wagon R.

Wagon R Positive :
Much improved handling over earlier generation
CNG gives nice efficiency
Effortless to drive in city, literally
Good visibility
More seating space than Beat
Higher seating is advantageous in night driving
Easy to get in and out
Cheaper spares and service
The factory fitted CNG has negligible power loss when one is driving on CNG mode, its very well engineered and integrated
Easier to park than Beat thanks to better visibility

Wagon R Negatives
Not so good at high speeds ( more than 100-110 kmph ) on highway
Noisy as compared to beat

Beat is one level above Wagon R, and must be compared with cars like Ritz IMO.

Beat has got very good refinement, but rear seat and overall space is claustrophobic, its not convenient to get in and out, is not as effortless to drive in city as Wagon R.

To clear your confusion, I would say that if the car is going to be used extensively for highway, go for Beat. Else if mainly you are going to drive in city, go for Wagon R. I have driven Wagon R a lot on highways and Wagon R has got the grunt till 130 even in CNG mode. In petrol mode, even 140 is not much of a struggle. Beat diesel feels underpowered IMO above 100. Wagon R has got overall a stronger motor for highway driving also, but if your highway usage is very extensive, Beat makes more sense, but overall for city driving and occasional highway drives, IMO Wagon R is better.
Old 18th June 2012, 17:50   #57
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if it helps anyone.
My colleague purchased Wagon R Green for 4.6 lacs + on road out here.
One disadvantage I can see is there is zero boot space since the CNG cylinder takes away all the space in the small boot that came in the new Wagon R.
Old 9th July 2012, 16:52   #58
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea View Post
With todays scheme on WagonR (34000 + 5% for RTO) against almost no discount on Beat and 11% RTO in maharastra.

Difference in OTR is almost 90,000. Considering petrol prices as 70 , i can buy 1280 liters using this 90000 and drive atleast 20000 KM .

So Wagon R it is ....

No doubt Beat beats Waggie hands down in case of interier and other plastic quality.
Following my own advice. Baught WagonR CNG over Beat 2 weeks back. Happy about decision.

One more thing, Unlike WagonR, Beat 2013 is expected shortly too !!

Got it at 4.33 OTR after all schemes and discounting :-)
Old 9th July 2012, 20:01   #59
BHPian

@idea, That's a great deal you got, almost 2 lacs less than the Beat D. Enjoy your new ride, (some pics please), and may you have many safe miles.
Old 9th July 2012, 22:37   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea

Got it at 4.33 OTR after all schemes and discounting :-)
Did you exchange any car?

Most Viewed