Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2006, 16:52   #1

Which Car to Buy? Getz or Swift or Santro

Hi BHPians,

This is an excellent forum, and i am really glad to be here in this forum. Lots of information, I could get from this board.

I am looking to buy a new car (My First Car), did some market survey as well, but I got very confused after hearing different opinons from all those sales executives.

My Budget for the car is 4.0L to 5.5L. I am looking for good performance, Style and Comfy car, FE is definitly a plus point. My car usage will be around 600KM/Month to 800KM/Month.

After my market & internet research I had narrow down my selection to GETZ or SWIFT or SANTRO, as per my choice. But I am very confused which is the best for first time buyer. Could you get some suggestions for me which car should I buy?

Thanks...
Old 23rd March 2006, 17:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

Do state if,
  1. You are family man needing space and practicality or, are you a single person?
  2. Will you drive it alone or any ladies in family will also drive it?
  3. How much will you drive on highways? and how much in City?
  4. When you say performance, how fast do you drive? (Santro is capable of doing 120 just like other two. Unless you plan to push harder, top speeds don't make much sense).
  5. You say FE will be plus. What figure do you have in mind?
Old 23rd March 2006, 17:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest Palio 1.6 Sport! Superior Ride comfort, Spacious, High Safety, Excellent Stability on high speeds, Good looks and powerful 1.6 engine. And now you have After Sales Service from Tata Motors! You can't ask for more!
Old 23rd March 2006, 17:24   #4
BHPian

4-5.5 lakhs is a too wide range. lots of cars are available in this range.

so first of all decide about your priorities. this'll help us better in suggesting you a proper car.
Old 23rd March 2006, 18:25   #5
Team-BHP Support

As a 1st time car buyer, have you also just learnt driving? If so I would say Santro is the best option for you. However if you are a seasoned driver then of course you need to answer a lot many questions as has already been put forth to you. One hat does not necessarily fits all heads... you see?
Old 23rd March 2006, 18:32   #6

Here are my answer for the questions.

1. You are family man needing space and practicality or, are you a single person?
I am a single person but soon will be married. Need space while travel on trips, can be 5/6 times in year.

2. Will you drive it alone or any ladies in family will also drive it?
Myself and in future my wife will drive it.

3. How much will you drive on highways? and how much in City?
For this one i will have 70:30 ratio for City and Highways respectively

4. When you say performance, how fast do you drive? (Santro is capable of doing 120 just like other two. Unless you plan to push harder, top speeds don't make much sense).
I like fast pickup car, and on the ring road i expect to touch 140.

5. You say FE will be plus. What figure do you have in mind?
FE should be above 10 KM/L
Old 23rd March 2006, 18:33   #7
aZa
Senior - BHPian

buy a santro ... drive it till ur Finance period ends by then u would know what u want in ur next car ... More power ?? More comfort ?? STYLE xxtra then u got Upgrade
Old 23rd March 2006, 20:23   #8

I am expecting to keep the car for atleast 5/6 years. So I need to have the car with refined latest technology. Santro is a good option, but It might gets out dated soon as there are lots of new hatchs going to come in the market in few years.
Old 23rd March 2006, 20:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

I would go with Swift,
  • Since it is big enough for 2 people. (You are yet to be married and have no kids, so don't have to bother about too much of space.)
  • It is fastest of all three.
  • It does not have latest engine, but rest of the car is fresh.
  • For city driving, it should be good enough, though Santro scores on "zippability" (if there is any such word).
  • It is fast but frugal enough for you.
  • You are planning to keep the car for long enough. Swift is more solidly built (though few people complain about rattles) and safe.
  • It looks better than other two.
Old 23rd March 2006, 21:02   #10

Thanks for your sugggestion. Can you please add some practical Plus & Minus points of GETZ and SWIFT. so that it will be easy for me to decide upon them.
Old 23rd March 2006, 21:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

There is one very good pictorial comparison of both the cars by kbk_75. Make sure you check it out completely. Probably nothing gets better than that!
Old 23rd March 2006, 21:13   #12
BHPian

I am in the same dilema .

Well santro Mid model with ABS is costing aroung 3.55L less discount 25 - 30 K makes it 3.30 + free insurance +registration should not exceed 3.5lyou get all features that the swift gives you + ABS. Swift base model without ABS is costing 4:20 no free insurance . Well looking at that Santro looks like a better option and as most of the time you are driving in the city i will vote for the Santro . The only good thing about Swift is that it is better built more powerful and more stable and its Maruti . FE for both the cars is similar.
If you can wait for another Maruti ZEN to come you may get discount / free insurance on SWIFT.
Old 23rd March 2006, 21:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickuv
Here are my answer for the questions.

1) I am a single person but soon will be married. Need space while travel on trips, can be 5/6 times in year.

2) Myself and in future my wife will drive it.

3) For this one i will have 70:30 ratio for City and Highways respectively

4) I like fast pickup car, and on the ring road i expect to touch 140.

5) FE should be above 10 KM/L
I would say the Palio fits the bill for points 1,3,4 and maybe 2 & 5 too.
Test drive a Palio 1.6 and you wont look back. The only point of contention is Fiat A.S.S - which now is in the hands of Tata. Its your call now.

cheers
Old 24th March 2006, 10:43   #14

Thanks folks for all your suggestions, Can you please let me know which is the best car among GETZ & SWIFT to buy.
Old 24th March 2006, 10:51   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickuv
Thanks folks for all your suggestions, Can you please let me know which is the best car among GETZ & SWIFT to buy.
Amongst Getz and Swift go for the Swift and you wont regret it.

Most Viewed