Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2006, 19:02   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman
Most people on team-bhp will disagree for this..
Anshuman, Zappo is right, i have driven both extensively and found swift's seat better than Indica's.
Old 1st April 2006, 01:49   #47

Hey all...
've just bought myself an indica turbo and done 1000 kms wit it witOUT the hitches noramlly associated wit a diesel.. sure,its loud and everyother cab fleet has one... but for sheer saftey and performance<yea,pretty nippy past 2k on the tacho> AND money u cant beat the indica turbo... on the highways,it hardly batted a wiper<!> when i ran her upto 120ks..

i just saved up a bundle on my indica,so i went out a got myself a really sweet audio setup....
pioneer 6850 head unit
6991s pioneer read speakers
Boston components up front
xplod 12" sub
Xplod 502 for the components 504 for the rear speakers and the sub..

sounds incredible! more so when its money saved from my purchase of an indica...
Old 6th April 2006, 11:53   #48
BHPian

Indica Turbo or Swift

I shall phrase my answer into 2 parts.

I faced the same situation and was in a dilema 2 months ago. I was looking out for a car
in the price band 4 -5 Lakhs. After eliminating other options I had to decide between the Swift VXi and Indica Turbo/Xeta.

To be honest since was Xeta was recently launched, was a petrol car where in Tata's were newbies, lack of sufficient reviews - I sort of din't want to take a risk ; so I dropped Xeta. After budget cuts they cut the price of Xeta even further and I could buy the fully loaded model for about 3.54 Lakhs !! - but still I had decided that if it was to be a Tata car at least for now - it had to be a diesel. Also, there was a doubt in my mind about "After Sales Service" for Xeta. Since all the Tata mechanics are experts in servicing diesel cars - will they have the sufficient knowhow to service petrol engines ?

So finally it was Swift Vs Turbo. - I took 10 days to decide and finally I went in for the Turbo !!!. Before I write about the reasons for which I went in for this car some facts and statistics about my new car for readers of this thread :

Model : Indica Turbo DLX (fully loaded)
Price : Rs 4,24,000 /- on road, Pune
Color : Smoked metal (the paint quality and finish is superb !!)
Kms run : 400 km
Milage : 15 kpl with 45 % A.C on and 100 % city driving in slow traffic.
30 % 2nd gear, 50 % 3rd gear, 10 % first gear and 10 % 4th gear.

These milage figures are during the running in period and with plain diesel. You can expect an incerase 1 - 1.5 kpl after running in period of 1000 kms and using a premium grade diesel like Turbo Jet or Hi Speed diesel.

Readers please note my "return of investment" on the Turbo Vs Swift Vxi.

I shall continue in my next post ::

sameer
Old 6th April 2006, 20:27   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
Hmmm... so you actually managed to test an Indica upto 135! Good for you. I myself won't ever need anything beyond the occasional 120 (very rare)... Thats it. And till there Indica holds very well. I do not have faith on the roads in this country to drive at anything beyond 100 on a sustainable basis. I have driven through various states and seen roads and accidents to know that the most unlikeliest of things happen here. So I would rather spend an hour extra on the highway and cover that 6 hours distance in 7 rather than ending by the roadside or somewhere even worse.

Just this last wednesday my Indica had a bent front left rim. I was driving on a newly carpeted road that has been widened to 3 lanes each side just a month back. I was travelling on 70-80kmph when all of a sudden I saw an open round hole (a huge one of the size of a manhole) in the middle of the road. It was not there on tuesday when I passed by that road. It looked like some utility company dug that and left... It was too late, I tried to swerve but the wheels fell in and then came out. My Indica's suspension almost howled in pain and gave a bone jarring shock to the occupants. The small terracotta Ganesh who happily smiles from my mirror (stuck with FeviQuick) came flying out of the mirror. However the Indica immediately gained composure and kept flying. Its only when I reached home I discovered the rim has been badly bent! :(

So much for speeds on these roads! :P

so very absolutely true, zappo!

i have this theory about speedsters being one of two kinds.

one, they are immune to reality and disregard all logic to the peril of their own lives and that of others, just to get that gush of adrenaline.
OR
they have yet to drive long enough, and have yet to see enough of our RIDICULOUS highways/roads to look at speed more maturely. and they will most certainly change, with experience.

i don't take too kindly to selfish people to whom 'driving pleasure' scores lives of people (including their own). when pleasure becomes more important than logic, and has the potential to harm, that is when we say that someone is on a dangerous high. say, like a drunken gunman.

these words may seem arrogant, but they come more out of concern. intending no offence to my team-mates here, i just want team-bhp to continue on its evolution since its early days when speed was almost celebrated.

hope people take this in the right spirit. on the road is one place where the head must ALWAYS rule over the heart.
Old 6th April 2006, 22:09   #50
BHPian

Nice one

Quote:
Originally Posted by samatre

To be honest since was Xeta was recently launched, was a petrol car where in Tata's were newbies, lack of sufficient reviews - I sort of din't want to take a risk ; so I dropped Xeta.
sameer
You seem to have got the TBHP jargon now
Old 22nd June 2008, 19:02   #51
BHPian

I to own an indica tourbo DLG since 2 years, Based on my experience I would like to put forward some good & bad points

Good
Fair build finish
good paint finish
mileage (14 to 15 in city, 19 to 20 in highway)
respectable strightline stability
cost of ownership

BAD

service is bad, Lot of ambiguity on what is done & whats not
bad time sense of the service stations
Rough handling of the vehicle during service
Poor head light lighting (get an aftermarket fitment 100/130 watts bulb)
water seeping inside through door beadings
inadequate brakes
discrepancy between tyre size (165/65R14) and rim size , get frequently damaged SERIOUS PROBLEM .......if 165/80R14 fits problem would be solved
Wheel ALIGNMENT PROBLEMS
Old 22nd June 2008, 19:59   #52
Senior - BHPian

the wheel issues- most of us havent run into any of those. 1 year now and no damage to the wheels so far. And the A.S.S , it happens to all of us. find a good one and stick to it
Old 24th June 2008, 13:36   #53
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

I would suggest the Indica DLG Turbo Dicor - or even the Indigo CS DLG Turbo Dicor
I bought a V2 Turbo DLG for my Dad in 2006 - it has now crossed 17000 Kms - good car. Minor Niggles one can live with.

We also have a 2006 Swift LXi - everything is fine except a few minor niggles that one can manage - not so great fuel efficiency when compared with the Indica and with the cost of Petrol these days, its a better option to shift to Diesel if one has the choice.

Driving the Swift is great fun and in the Indica, the squashy gearbox detracts from the fun factor but all in all it is a very good VFM car.
Indeed, next calendar year, budget permitting, I intend to upgrade my Dads car to an Indigo CS Turbo Diesel Dicor DLG. Thats clearly the next option. Am clear about this, despite the launch of the Diesel Dzire.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 24th June 2008 at 13:40.
Old 24th June 2008, 23:59   #54
Senior - BHPian

Petrol or diesel is upon the usage you do.
If you are concerned about the running cost ( irrespective of kilometers you do ), go for Indica Diesel.

But if not worried about the running cost ( irrespective of kilometers you do ), then go for Swift Diesel. It is a better car.
Old 25th June 2008, 10:45   #55
tez
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Petrol or diesel is upon the usage you do.
If you are concerned about the running cost ( irrespective of kilometers you do ), go for Indica Diesel.

But if not worried about the running cost ( irrespective of kilometers you do ), then go for Swift Diesel. It is a better car.
can you be more specific in reasons whey the running cost in indica diesel is lower than swift diesel.
Old 25th June 2008, 11:11   #56
BHPian

I have a 26month old Indica TD DLX, have clocked 76000 Kms with only clutch assembly replacement and one set of tyres with the general service done every 7500 kms, The body is tough and no rattling, But may face problems on the front power windows after a year or so as the plastic rails of the assembly wares out you may have to replace it(cost around 300 per window). I am getting an FE of around 14+ in the city and around 21 on the highways with 100% AC. So IMHO if you are looking for a vehicle for long and city drive combo, Indica will be the best option.
Old 25th June 2008, 11:25   #57
BHPian

hey
If you are comparing between the Swift VDI and the Indica Deisel I suggest you wait for a few months. Indica is coming out with a new variation of with a Fiat engine (The same engine which is in tha palio stile. Or is it already out. The problem with TATA is they dont advertise any of their products. The media and ppl like us do it for them free of cost :-)). The car is supposed to have 'better' interiors.
Old 25th June 2008, 11:29   #58
BHPian

If you are looking for swift VDI or Indica diesel you might want to wait for the latest variation of indica with the Fiat multijet engine.The same one in Palio stile
Old 4th July 2008, 16:10   #59
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

i think Indica has a DLG Dicor engine version also - same as in the Indigo CS - better to check once though.
This is a very good engine.
And Indica is an excellent VFM car - absolutely no doubt on that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf View Post
hey
If you are comparing between the Swift VDI and the Indica Deisel I suggest you wait for a few months. Indica is coming out with a new variation of with a Fiat engine (The same engine which is in tha palio stile. Or is it already out. The problem with TATA is they dont advertise any of their products. The media and ppl like us do it for them free of cost :-)). The car is supposed to have 'better' interiors.
Old 4th July 2008, 16:23   #60
BHPian

a 2006 thread brought back to life by a mod followed by a quick review by a user and everyone is in a hurry to suggest some car.
even i was about to suggest a car. then thought i should read the opening post first.

Most Viewed