Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2012, 09:00   #16
BHPian

Re: Honda Brio S MT or Swift VXi ?

Swift belongs to a category that lies somewhere in between the Brio and Jazz.
Inshort I would rather keep Swift a notch above the Brio in terms of segmentation.
While Brio is a Honda which in itself is a big thing, Swift itself is a cult brand today in India and people don't get bored seeing this car.
Yes, Swift's styling inside out is all form. It is still is among the best looking hatches and the interior looks sporty too.
Brio on the other hand is more 'functional' considering the fact that Honda concentrated more on space inside and compactness outside.

And ofcourse suspension itself feels a class above in Swift, compared to Brio which almost crashes over bad roads.

Engine on both cars are very good though Honda is just engimatic :-)

There are price cutting bits in Brio like the integrated headrests,full glass rear hatch etc which is why it is cheaper than the Swift.

My take will be Swift here though Brio too is a good car
Turbokick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2012, 09:44   #17
Team-BHP Support

If you're looking for a petrol car, the Brio wins hands down.

If it's a diesel, then buy the Swift.

But since we're talking petrols here, let me give you my honest opinion.

The Brio and Swift are nearly equally matched. Where the Swift loses out, the Brio makes up for it, and vice versa.

Both cars are are spacious in their own right. However, I'd say the Swift is marginally more accommodating. While the Brio's interiors feel like they're closing in on you, the Swift is well spaced-out.

The 1.2 in the Brio is hard to fault. Nearly 90 horses on tap, and power-to weight better than any hatch today, it sure is quick off the blocks. The Swift is no less. The 1.2 K-Series mill runs the iVtec pretty close. I think it's evenly matched here. I prefer the sound of the engine in the Honda, so I'd take the Honda.

The gearbox on the other hand is a different story. The Brio's is notchy and sometimes difficult to slot in comfortably. However, it can be engaging to drive as Honda has improved the bottom-end in the Brio. The Swift's 'box has always known to be the best in the business. And it's just as good as the best today. The Polo's.

Both are incredibly sorted handlers. The Brio might just prove to be more fun because of it's wider tyre-contact-patch and smaller dimensions (not so much the width) But the steering in the Swift gives you better feedback.

The Honda's steering feels more direct, but neutral. The Swift's might feel like it may need the driver to dial in a little more than he should.

Looks are subjective, so I'm not going to get into that.

Both command good presence, in terms of badge-value. The Brio's after-sales-service is as good, or perhaps even better than the Marut's.

Considering that the Brio's delivery and assembly issues have been sorted, you might want to check it out. I'm sure the waiting period for the two would be very similar. The Swift's would probably be more.

I'd take the Brio, simply because it's just not as common as the Swift. And is quite a competent little hatch. And with the right modifications, it will be a wonderful car to own and drive in our cramped cities, that require pokey little hatch backs like the Brio and the Swift.

EDIT: And something I'd forgotten to mention.

If you are buying the Brio, I'd strongly suggest and advise you to pay that little extra and buy the S(o) MT. For a little extra money, you get safety-features like ABS and Airbags. It's certainly worth the extra money. Remember, we must not put a price on our safety.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 26th March 2012 at 09:49.
Old 26th March 2012, 10:04   #18
BHPian

I had noticed that the Old Swift's/Dezire's body/shell was very fragile and thin which was prone to dents and dings a lot. Also, it flexed quite a lot even when pressed with a finger.

How is the new swift in this department? How is the Brio in comparison?
Old 26th March 2012, 10:47   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree with everyone above that its extremely tough to choose between the two cars and just boils down to personal preference. Having said that I would go for the Brio just because of that exclusivity factor. Swift has been around for so long and the new swift doesn't look any different from the old one to me. Its also present in every second household. Brio would be more fun to own. Also I would always place Honda as a brand higher then Maruti. Both cars may be equally reliable but the Honda would feel slightly more premium than the Maruti.

Also if you can then do opt for the S(O).
Old 26th March 2012, 12:20   #20

I like the swift better then the Brio because i just really detest the looks. Problem is everybody's uncle and aunties seem to have a swift. For that reason alone i would go with Brio. At least you got some exclusivity.
Old 26th March 2012, 12:33   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

The 1.2 in the Brio is hard to fault. ....The Swift is no less. The 1.2 K-Series mill runs the iVtec pretty close. I think it's evenly matched here.

The gearbox on the other hand is a different story. The Brio's is notchy and sometimes difficult to slot in comfortably.

Both are incredibly sorted handlers. ..... But the steering in the Swift gives you better feedback.

The Honda's steering feels more direct, but neutral. The Swift's might feel like it may need the driver to dial in a little more than he should.
Agree with all of these points. Both engines are an absolute joy to rev, and being a Swift owner, I can say that with considerable emphasis in relation to the 1.2 K Series engine.

Handling is just awesome on the Swift- cant comment on the Brio since I have not driven that on any suitably twisty roads. But yes, both respond well to driver inputs.

The Swift steering does feel heavy, but then I am a sucker for feelsome steerings, so its a joy to have that talkative steering in my hands.
Old 26th March 2012, 13:14   #22
Senior - BHPian

How notchy is Brio's gearshift ?

During my brief TD did not find gearshift to be too bad.
Might be because i am used to pathetic shift of my old WagonR.

I hope Brio's shift is not too bad like the old Indica/WagonR ?
Old 26th March 2012, 15:19   #23
Senior - BHPian

i TDed the BRIO and the Swift this sunday.

I must say that that BRIO did surprise me on many levels.

here are the big pluses for the BRIO and following them are the minuses
+ interior spaciousness : is it the beige interior or the big rear glass - this car is bright - which gtives you the impression of lots of interios space.
+ the ivtec engine: nice smooth - easy to drive, easy to manage engine
+ braking: even in extreme hard braking - the TD car was very well composed, possibly coz it had ABS with EBD
+ rear seating space: i think it has more space in the interior
+ 4.5 meters turning radius. feels like a TOY while driving.

the minuses:
- the AC: i purposely took a TD at the peak of afternoon, the car just failed to cool the interior, the sales guy did mention that I would need a VKOOL or a equivalent for cooling.
- lack of kit: the top end too does not have a climate control or any of the bluetooth etc etc, the sales person has a point over here which says - honda would like to invest money in engineering rather than show off features (it shows - the brio is a beautiful car to drive)

I think i am going for BRIO - 5.2 OTR.

cheers,
ac
ac 427 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th March 2012, 17:09   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
How notchy is Brio's gearshift ?
It is definitely not as notchy as the Wagon R. However, the Swift, like earlier mentioned, is right up there amongst the best in terms of sure slotting nature and slickness where the tranny is concerned. On another note, the gear lever itself is much chunkier in the Swift and much more pleasurable to hold and slot through the gates than the anaemic shifter on the Brio.

The Brio is just about OK. When you compare it to other cars in the Honda stable (e.g. the City), its quite a few steps down the ladder. In other words its passable, however, when you are looking from a drivers perspective, it makes a big difference if the shifts are smooth and sure slotting.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 26th March 2012 at 17:11.
Old 26th March 2012, 18:05   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
i TDed the BRIO and the Swift this sunday.

I must say that that BRIO did surprise me on many levels.

the minuses:
- the AC: i purposely took a TD at the peak of afternoon, the car just failed to cool the interior, the sales guy did mention that I would need a VKOOL or a equivalent for cooling.
- lack of kit: the top end too does not have a climate control or any of the bluetooth etc etc, the sales person has a point over here which says - honda would like to invest money in engineering rather than show off features (it shows - the brio is a beautiful car to drive)

I think i am going for BRIO - 5.2 OTR.

cheers,
ac
Congrats on your choice. You cant go wrong with the Brio.

However, I will recommend the following.

Get the S(O) MT as it has airbags, ABS and seatbelt pretensioners. It also has a tilt steering. For a difference of about 50K it is totally worth it.

Definitely get full tint done for the car. With that huge glass area it will help in terms of keeping your car cool and will also help with the privacy aspect.
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 10:04   #26
Senior - BHPian

does the brio run on synth oil ?

as if it does, the servicing costs will be more than those of the swifts.

Btw does the new swift run on synth too ?

cheers,
ac
Old 27th March 2012, 16:25   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

My pick would be the Honda Brio; main reason = the Swift Vxi / Vdi's awful brakes!! The braking system, understandably, is one of the most significant contributors to road safety and I still can't get myself to believe that the Swift's lower variants have such poor brakes. How did Maruti's pre-launch test team ever approve of these brakes?

If Maruti gave the Lxi / Vxi better brakes, or if you can stretch to the Swift Zxi, my pick would be the Maruti. But the lower Swift variants are a big no-no to me.

I would also recommend the i10 Kappa2 to you. Take a spin, it's a wonderful hatchback with the best engine, gearbox & quality in the segment.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 18:29   #28
BHPian

What a timing !. Thanks DCEite. Am in wavering mind for the last week or so - debating on hatch & in the absence of Jazz, wanted to find the next alternative. Spot on - here is the discussion.

Me - Not test driven both (am very picky in doing TD !) - but have seen them inside-out in the show room couple of times.

Of all said & done about both in this thread, if Brio gives better FE and lesser space on road (isn't 200 cm short than swift ?) - am saving my wallet & road space
Old 27th March 2012, 20:37   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjiyap1 View Post
What a timing !. Thanks DCEite. Am in wavering mind for the last week or so - debating on hatch & in the absence of Jazz, wanted to find the next alternative. Spot on - here is the discussion.

Me - Not test driven both (am very picky in doing TD !) - but have seen them inside-out in the show room couple of times.

Of all said & done about both in this thread, if Brio gives better FE and lesser space on road (isn't 200 cm short than swift ?) - am saving my wallet & road space
I would suggest you go with the Brio if you are fine with the all glass rear hatch design. I personally prefer the styling of Brio to Swift.
The interior space is better than the swift and the engine is peppy, gear shift is butter smooth, handling is excellent. Ride is a bit bouncy though...but remember - the i10 is bouncy too...
Old 28th March 2012, 13:33   #30
Senior - BHPian

One thing i remember about my TD.

When i sat inside the Brio it felt very cheerful and "happy" inside. Don't know how to describe the exact feeling. But in the Swift one starts feeling dull after a while.
Might be because of the interior color scheme of the two cars.

Most Viewed