Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2012, 14:11   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda Brio S MT or Swift VXi ?

Quote:
I would also recommend the i10 Kappa2 to you. Take a spin, it's a wonderful hatchback with the best engine, gearbox & quality in the segment.
Taking that thought a little further. Take a look at this if you are open to used cars http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...ndai/i10.html/

The car belongs to fellow member joslicx and looks good from the pics.
Old 29th March 2012, 10:20   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Looking to buy a hatchback and after test driving a lot of B-segment vehicles, finally narrowed down to the Honda Brio S MT and Swift VXi.

Would like to comments on what makes a better buy and why.

So which one to go for??
go through this comparison it will give you the correct picture about the handling and performance of hatchbacks you mentioned and other comparables.In my opinion when it comes to petrol engine Honda wins

@link:BSM FTD Test - Honda Brio vs Maruti Suzuki Swift vs Fiat Punto 90 vs Skoda Fabia - Down the hatch
Old 29th March 2012, 11:44   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjiyap1 View Post
What a timing !. Thanks DCEite. Am in wavering mind for the last week or so - debating on hatch & in the absence of Jazz, wanted to find the next alternative. Spot on - here is the discussion.

Of all said & done about both in this thread, if Brio gives better FE and lesser space on road (isn't 200 cm short than swift ?) - am saving my wallet & road space
Do you mind me asking why you are not picking the Jazz. It is the best of the three options (Jazz, Brio, Swift) though it also the most expensive. That said, it is also the best in terms of safety kit with all models having airbags and ABS.

The Brio is definitely the smallest of the three and does return the best FE from what I have read here, so if space (or rather lack of it) is not a constraint, then go for the Brio.
Old 29th March 2012, 12:13   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
Do you mind me asking why you are not picking the Jazz. It is the best of the three options (Jazz, Brio, Swift) though it also the most expensive. That said, it is also the best in terms of safety kit with all models having airbags and ABS.

The Brio is definitely the smallest of the three and does return the best FE from what I have read here, so if space (or rather lack of it) is not a constraint, then go for the Brio.

I beg to differ here sir!
If you compare the Jazz base model with the Swift top end, there's hardly any difference in the price point. And the Jazz base offers almost everything the Swift top end offers (barring the allow wheels probably). Plus if you consider the overall cost of ownership, the Honda does score over Maruti.
Having said that, Im however not sure after the recent price hike what is the price difference.

My suggestion, if one can afford to wait, The Jazz is a great buy!

Last edited by freak1201 : 29th March 2012 at 12:15.
Old 29th March 2012, 13:49   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freak1201 View Post
I beg to differ here sir!
If you compare the Jazz base model with the Swift top end, there's hardly any difference in the price point. And the Jazz base offers almost everything the Swift top end offers (barring the allow wheels probably). Plus if you consider the overall cost of ownership, the Honda does score over Maruti.
Having said that, Im however not sure after the recent price hike what is the price difference.

My suggestion, if one can afford to wait, The Jazz is a great buy!
Yes, the top end of the Swift and Brio are close in price to the bottom end variant of the Jazz. However, the Swift and Brio top end are slightly better equipped than the base model Jazz. In pure terms of value for money for gadgets, they are better than the Jazz, but undoubtedly the Jazz is better value for money when you consider the car on offer.

I also recommend waiting for the Jazz if the OP can afford it as it is far more versatile than the other two vehicles. It is practical enough to be an only car for the family, unlike the Brio and Swift. For me, if it had better GC and a diesel engine (blame our govt for subsidising diesel to crazy amounts), it would be the ideal car for India.
Old 29th March 2012, 14:19   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
does the brio run on synth oil ?
as if it does, the servicing costs will be more than those of the swifts.
Btw does the new swift run on synth too ?
I don't think any of these runs on Synth oil. Although Honda does recommend synthetic, but you can always opt for mineral no issues.

So how would the overall maintainence compare for both of these over say, a lakh odd kilometeres? Should the fact that Honda spares are (arguably) considerably expensive be a factor significant enough in decision making?
Old 29th March 2012, 16:19   #37
BHPian

Had a quick visit to the local honda dealership, the waiting on the Jazz select is 8 weeks and the brio 4 weeks, the V variant still feels over priced in Brio. Honda is increasing the prices upwards by 4% in line with the budget directives.

Any clue of the current waiting on the Swift diesel?
Old 29th March 2012, 21:20   #38
BHPian

@pganapathy - indeed I would love to wait for jazz anyday as long as I know a timeline. But the dealers are giving varied answers.... Hence the alternative.

@Transam - whic dealer who confirmed the timeline. Are they taking new bookings ?
Old 31st March 2012, 23:24   #39
Senior - BHPian

I think Honda Brio E MT with following accessories would be a good value for money:

- Beige seat covers ~ 6k
- Stereo + 4 speakers (Pioneer/JBL combo) ~ 12k
- Decent sunflim (3M/Vkool) ~ 8k
- Floor mats, steering wheel cover ~ 3k
- Body colouring of OVRMs and door handles ~5k
- Central Locking ~ 4k

So over and above the on-road price of about 4.6 L, the total cost would be around 5 L onroad. Sounds like a good package, isnt it?

Considering the fact that a bare bones Swift LXi costs 4.8 L onroad, the Brio E(MT) with these accessories @ 5 L onroad sounds tremendous value for money, when you consider that the Brio base model has tachometer and front power Windows which Swift lacks!

Last edited by DCEite : 31st March 2012 at 23:29.
Old 1st April 2012, 10:18   #40
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
does the brio run on synth oil ? .....

Btw does the new swift run on synth too ?
The Honda engines can run on Synth (10000km/12 months) or semi-/mineral (5000km/6 months). From VFM perspective the latter is to be preferred. The case in Swift should be similar, possibly with oil change at 10,000/12 months in either case. You get API-SM in Mineral /semi-synth as well.
Old 1st April 2012, 10:56   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I think Honda Brio E MT with following accessories would be a good value for money:

- Beige seat covers ~ 6k
- Stereo + 4 speakers (Pioneer/JBL combo) ~ 12k
- Decent sunflim (3M/Vkool) ~ 8k
- Floor mats, steering wheel cover ~ 3k
- Body colouring of OVRMs and door handles ~5k
- Central Locking ~ 4k
The E MT is absolutely VFM. But the Price of accessories mentioned by you, could be brought down quite a bit.

-Beige Seat covers - IMO it could be done under 4k (Art leather) & 2 K (Fabric)
- Stereo - Opt for HU without CD player and you'll save more
- Sun Film - Depends.. but if I were you, i would have wrapped up the sunfilm job under 3k max
- Floor Mats - Not more than 1k IMO (Fabric/Rubber)
- Coloring of ORVMS etc - Should not be more than 2-2.5 K
- Central Locking - OK

Now if you consider these prices of accessories, the final OTR will come down even more.
Old 1st April 2012, 21:47   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
Yes, the top end of the Swift and Brio are close in price to the bottom end variant of the Jazz. However, the Swift and Brio top end are slightly better equipped than the base model Jazz. In pure terms of value for money for gadgets, they are better than the Jazz, but undoubtedly the Jazz is better value for money when you consider the car on offer.

I also recommend waiting for the Jazz if the OP can afford it as it is far more versatile than the other two vehicles. It is practical enough to be an only car for the family, unlike the Brio and Swift. For me, if it had better GC and a diesel engine (blame our govt for subsidising diesel to crazy amounts), it would be the ideal car for India.

What gadgets? All three get a CD / MP3 / USB player. And i doubt if the Brio topend boasts of a ACC!
Old 1st April 2012, 23:41   #43
BHPian

Ergonomics in my opinion are very important when considering a car. You cannot wish away the problem of your leg hitting the column. I would think that it's better not to consider a car that you're not comfortable with ergonomically. (I has a similar problem you faced when I test drove the old fiesta, i.e. my left leg kept hitting the console. Apart from other issues, this made it easy to cross the fiesta off my list.)

The notchy gear shift of the Brio that you reported is also a concern if you ask me.

While the swift's interiors might probably be the best that maruti has in it's whole lineup (due to sheer lack of options), darker interiors do tend to give a claustrophobic feeling. The Brio's brighter interiors might go down well with you and family.

After personally checking out the Brio, I feel that while the Brio's interiors are good, parts (dash, door handles, display meter etc.) are carefully chosen to be a whole grade below that of the City. So, in my opinion, the interiors are just ok. They're better than say an i10 but not directly comparable to that of a sedan. Interior space also is just ok.

The larger glass area of the Brio increases visibility and makes for a more confident driving experience and feels like a toy to drive sometimes. The new Swift with it's smallish rear window and increased size seems to add a degree of difficulty to a city car and that too without really providing more interior space(the Jazz does the best justice to interior space for exterior size in my opinion.).

I own both a Honda and a Maruti and in terms of service, I find Honda's servicing to be relatively better than Maruti. The service personnel at Honda seem to have a better standard as compared to those at Maruti across service centres.

With the price increase and long waiting period, I don't feel that it's worth paying so much for a Maruti car. When it comes to selecting the Brio, I feel that the Jazz makes for much better value for the money spent unless you are specifically looking for a smaller car.

Last edited by sydras : 1st April 2012 at 23:47.
sydras is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2012, 07:37   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freak1201 View Post
What gadgets? All three get a CD / MP3 / USB player. And i doubt if the Brio topend boasts of a ACC!
For example they get things like alloy wheels and fog lamps. These may be cosmetic add-ons, I agree, but there are people that value things like this. To each his own.
Old 2nd April 2012, 11:13   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydras View Post
darker interiors do tend to give a claustrophobic feeling. The Brio's brighter interiors might go down well with you and family.
A car is essentially a private form of transport, and darker interiors firmly drive home that point into our psyche.
That's one of the main reasons apart from easy maintenance, why world over darker interiors are preferred, except in India.
Lighter interiors are preferred for public transport, as otherwise the sheer number of strangers inside
will give a sense a claustrophobia to the occupants.

Most Viewed