Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2012, 12:27   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Diesel hatch in exchange for 2 sedans!

Hey Mohit, i recently bought a diesel figo and checked out other cars as well. You can check out my ownership report on the link below for my views and reasons for choosing Figo and initial impression so far.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...auty-figo.html

For petrol options any specific reasons why you are not choosing swift/ritz in petrol? The maruti 1.2L petrol is one of the best engines around.
Old 11th April 2012, 12:29   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I am personally leaning more towards the Ritz/Swift in case of diesel and Brio/Jazz in case of Petrol.
Also am I correct in assuming that a Petrol Hatch like Brio or Ritz or Swift would return FE of 14-15 in the City?
Good to see the list is getting leaner now

If you have the budget, I suggest going with the bigger siblings – Jazz / Swift. Just consider that the Official Team-bhp review did not give much favorable feedback on the mid-variant Swift’s brakes. So probably it’s worth considering the top variant. And do you have a chance of getting a Swift diesel immediately? Actually in diesel, it’s worth to check out the Figo Titanium as well.
Old 11th April 2012, 12:40   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Hey Mohit, i recently bought a diesel figo and checked out other cars as well. You can check out my ownership report on the link below for my views and reasons for choosing Figo and initial impression so far.

For petrol options any specific reasons why you are not choosing swift/ritz in petrol? The maruti 1.2L petrol is one of the best engines around.
I already read your review. The figo looks like a good deal from all angles except that it doesn't excite me somehow. It looks more like a family car to me ( No offence to you or anyother owner).

I am surely considering the Petrol Rtiz and Swift. Infact I mentioned the same in my post above. Although I would prefer Honda over Maruti in case I go for a petrol car.

BTW what is a realistic FE I can expect from Ritz , Swift, Brio ( all petrol variants)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Good to see the list is getting leaner now
Well somehow I could not let go of a new car's feel. Also as Noopster pointed above that it feels bad when my Dad and Sis would be driving new sedans and I would be stuck with a battered City .

Quote:
If you have the budget, I suggest going with the bigger siblings – Jazz / Swift. Just consider that the Official Team-bhp review did not give much favorable feedback on the mid-variant Swift’s brakes. So probably it’s worth considering the top variant. And do you have a chance of getting a Swift diesel immediately? Actually in diesel, it’s worth to check out the Figo Titanium as well.
Sir the problem with Swift is the waiting period for me too. Its a big off to live in uncertainty for 6-8 months waiting for your car. I can pull some strings but given the extra long waiting lists It would be difficult to get immediate delivery. In case of Honda I can get immediate delivery or ASAP otherwise for both the Jazz and the Brio. Budget is not a big issue but what I am looking for is the VFM. In other words trying to figure out the best combination of luxury and OTR price. For instance I truly feel that at 7.5L OTR the Swift ZDI looks a little pricey to me.
Old 11th April 2012, 12:50   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

BTW what is a realistic FE I can expect from Ritz , Swift, Brio ( all petrol variants)?
In petrol engines, the Swift and Jazz/Brio are both crackerjack mills. I pesonally went for the Swift petrol, and boy, am I having fun with it Amazingly revv happy and refined engine.

With a reasonably heavy foot, in Bangalore city traffic, with 50% AC usage, I get about 13-14 kpl on the K12 engine. On the highway, I expect about 17-18 kpl. In my opinion, thats very good FE for a powerful hatch.
Old 11th April 2012, 12:53   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I already read your review. The figo looks like a good deal from all angles except that it doesn't excite me somehow. It looks more like a family car to me ( No offence to you or anyother owner).
Non taken . Car looks are very subjective and different for each individual. What I can suggest is atleast do test drives for all the potential cars in your list. Driving makes a big difference in the decision process in my opinion. Thats how I ended up buying my Ikon earlier. I always preferred Accent's looks over Ikon but the moment I drove Ikon, I knew that was it.
Old 11th April 2012, 13:08   #51
BHPian

Quote:
I have more or less decided about going with the Option 4 ie sell off both the Lancer and the City and buy myself a new hatch. Now comes the more important question Which Hatch?

Also am I correct in assuming that a Petrol Hatch like Brio or Ritz or Swift would return FE of 14-15 in the City?
This is very very delicate...

My Ritz Petrol (3 months old) and another Ritz Petrol (from a cousin) do not seem to understand the numbers like 14, 15 etc.
  • I usually drive around Bannerghatta Road, BTM, Begur and Silkboard in Bangalore (those of you from Bangalore will see the point) and I haven't been able to extract FE of more than 12 kmpl (60-70% A/C, 2-3 people in) on my Ritz. The consolation however is that, 80% of the time I am not on gear 4,5 (meaning: I will be on 3rd gear or lower). That's how the city is () where I drive. On Nice Road and Mysore Road, I was able to record a FE of around 17-18 kmpl (50% A/C, 4-5 people in) on a couple of occasions.
On a side note, my Maruti 800 Std used to give an FE of 14.3 kmpl (no A/C, 2-3 people in) in the same traffic.
  • The other Ritz that I was talking about (also from Bangalore), does the job in a better traffic environment (read "moderate traffic") and gives an FE of around 13+ kmpl (50% A/C, 4 people in).
  • I would also like to mention about a couple of instances where my friends have quoted their i10s having FEs in the range of 9-11 kmpl (50% A/C, 2-3 people in) in the city.
So what I am trying to infer here is, based on how the traffic is, the word city is defined. So in Baroda, in the area of your commute, what the traffic situation is, will help you infer in this regard.

Thanks,
C_

Last edited by Coolman : 11th April 2012 at 13:17. Reason: Included A/C usage and Load
Old 11th April 2012, 15:12   #52
BHPian

I drive a Figo TDCI for my commute & also have Brio SMT.

I bought the figo after selling the Palio S10. It took me 3 months/ 5000 Kms of Driving to kinda like the Figo TDCI. Figo gives me 15 + Km/ltr on an average in any driving conditions.
On the other hand I just fell in love with the Brio's handlig and drive with 5 mins . Simply put its a GO-KART on Steriods !

our Brio has done around 750 kms, it give around 13.5-15.4 km/ltr in the city. (Moderate - heavy traffic)

Am sure after the Lancer , the Brio will keep you really happy.

Since you wil be in college , Brio works well with youngsters.

Good Luck.

Last edited by bblost : 11th April 2012 at 21:14. Reason: A word has been replaced. Its usage in the given context is deemed offensive to the wider audience. Thanks.
Old 11th April 2012, 16:44   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karizma_devil View Post

Am sure after the Lancer , the Brio will keep you really happy.
How do you rate the Swift in comparison to the Brio?

Last edited by bblost : 11th April 2012 at 21:15. Reason: Quoted post has been edited.
Old 11th April 2012, 16:55   #54
Senior - BHPian

Although it depends on the choice of fuel, but when we drove we loved the Brio, if it has to be Diesel it can be Ritz or the Figo as you have mentioned.

Between the Brio and the Swift, we found the Brio to be a much nicer and easier to drive car, swift on the other hand looks massive from the outside and the feel while driving is you can touch insane speeds. On the Brio you may not feel like doing high speeds but we did not find any problems touching 100 and staying there.
Old 11th April 2012, 16:57   #55
Senior - BHPian

IMO figo is a sure shot winner for you among the list mentioned by you, if you are ready to overlook the look factor in her.

Figo TDCi titanium will be best pick for you, diesel FE, airbags, ABS, Alloywheels etc for just 6lakhs OTR ( approx price ).

She handles well, drives well, have all necessary features.

Or if you're buying a petrol hatch go for swift or brio or jazz.

You can't go wrong with either of them.

But IMO buy a figo.

Sameer

Last edited by sameerg001 : 11th April 2012 at 16:59.
Old 11th April 2012, 17:27   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Mohit- my Swift gives around 12-13 kmpl in the city, 15-16 on highway runs. Mind you it is the old G1.3 engine- the 1.2K is much more refined and efficient. I would suggest a Vxi for you except that the brakes are apparently really bad and the waiting times long.

A Ritz? Well...you're a young man, a doctor at that and have a certain image to maintain- just wondering if that will hit the sweet spot. Feels like a sensible compromise choice to me. Jus' my opinion!

Brio is a mixed bag. It is a zippy little fella for sure but the quirky looks, minuscule boot and the fact that it guzzles the expensive fuel makes it unattractive to me. Jazz is a sweet looker and has enough space for the entire hospital staff But will it be within your budget?

So that leaves the Figo-D. I never thought much of this car to be honest but a few friends swear by it. And the boot is HUGE by hatchback standards. The engine is good with minimal turbo lag. Like someone mentioned, it comes with all the bells and whistles at a very reasonable price. That would be my choice.
Old 11th April 2012, 18:14   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
Figo TDCi titanium will be best pick for you, diesel FE, airbags, ABS, Alloywheels etc for just 6lakhs OTR ( approx price ).
Buddy the Titanium TDCi is priced at 5.94L ex-showroom. So it will be closer to 7L OTR. And then there is the question of looks. At that price the swift or even the Polo look so much more young and fresh than the figo.

How are the servicing costs of the Figo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I would suggest a Vxi for you except that the brakes are apparently really bad and the waiting times long.
Thats a sure shot downer. Although I do not drive very fast but this can become an issue on highway drives which I plan to do a lot. I haven't seen that part of the country and plan to visit a lot of places during the 3 year period.

Quote:
A Ritz? Well...you're a young man, a doctor at that and have a certain image to maintain- just wondering if that will hit the sweet spot. Feels like a sensible compromise choice to me. Jus' my opinion!
The Ritz totally fails in the looks department. But it has such a strong case for itself specially when you compare it with the Swift. The only thing about the swift is the looks and at that its miles ahead of the Ritz. I am thinking of compromising on the Ritz in case its the diesel engine that I choose.

Quote:
Brio is a mixed bag. It is a zippy little fella for sure but the quirky looks, minuscule boot and the fact that it guzzles the expensive fuel makes it unattractive to me. Jazz is a sweet looker and has enough space for the entire hospital staff But will it be within your budget?
When one is considering the Ritz then why not the Brio? The Jazz actually looks awesome to me and also comes with all that space and Honda built. I can stretch the budget but then again the debate starts between the Swift diesel vs the Honda Jazz since the former option saves me a lot of money.

The Figo as I mentioned before looks like a great deal but somehow can't see myself driving it. It just feels oldish.

Right now I am basically confused between the Ritz vs the Brio and the Swift vs the Jazz since the budget is flexible. Also the question of diesel makes it a little more tough to decide.
Old 11th April 2012, 23:28   #58
Senior - BHPian

Well Mohit, sorry to play a spoil sport in your option 4.
If i were you i would have reconditioned the lancer or honda city and use it for college. Hatch / Sedan doesnt matter in city.

Throw some nice mods to lancer and it will be a hot chick. Throw a good sequential CNG kit and that will be cheaper than using a diesel new car.

Finish off your baroda escapade come back to delhi and then think of what to do.
Old 12th April 2012, 00:53   #59
Team-BHP Support

I've heard that the Jazz may be discontinued soon. I'm not sure of the authenticity of this, as I'd heard it from a Honda sales-rep (who seemed quite knowledgeable and with genuine interest for cars, and not some guy trying to sell a car)

Also, the Jazz has a huge waiting period at the moment. Expect to wait for months before you get your car. But if Honda sort out the delivery/parts mess, I'd recommend the Jazz. ONLY of course, if you're looking for a petrol car. If it's a diesel, get the Liva or the Figo. I wouldn't recommend the new Swift as the diesel (and petrol) variant has braking-issues, unless you buy the top-of-the-range ZDi.
Old 12th April 2012, 00:54   #60
BHPian

I'm not advising you any particular car. However, seeing that you're considering Brio mostly because of its fun-to-drive-in-city factor, I thought to share my + friends' preferences regarding fun-to-drive-in-city petrol hatches based on our collective ownership + some TDs of Brio-

Suzuki A-Star > Hyundai Santro Xing (don't remember which engine) > Ford Figo (yes, petrol one) > Hyundai i20 Kappa2 > Suzuki Swift 1.3L MPFi > Suzuki Swift K12 > Honda Brio > Maruti Wagon R 1.1L > Maruti 800 MPFi

However the above comparision is purely our collective view. Yours might be entirely different. You should TD the cars if you already not have done so. I could have placed Suzuki Ritz in above comparison but alas none of us have even driven a Ritz yet.

By the way, I'm curious to know what's your thought on the following-
1. Brio's dashboard rattling issue. Are you ready to live with it? As far as I read, it seems to be common in all Brio's and that it can't be fixed. Not sure if it's true or not. None of us owns a Brio ya know.

2. Buying Brio without knowing its mileage? Are you confident that it can deliver good mileage (say 13kpl in city with AC)? The current class leader is A-Star (19kpl in city with AC). 1000km per month usage demands that the petrol car should deliver at least 15kpl in city with AC, right?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks