Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2012, 01:28   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Diesel hatch in exchange for 2 sedans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Add to it the 1.8-2L that I will lose on the City
This should not be a consideration. You will lose a similar amount as depreciation in 2-3yrs, on the new car you buy to replace the City.
Old 12th April 2012, 09:23   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I've heard that the Jazz may be discontinued soon. I'm not sure of the authenticity of this..
Why would they do that? It doesn't make sense to me since with its current position its sure to be a hot seller. Even now its only suffering because of the production issues.

Quote:
Also, the Jazz has a huge waiting period at the moment.
I can get immediate delivery for the both the Jazz and Brio. On the other hand I would have to wait for a long time for the Swift incase I choose to get that.

Quote:
I wouldn't recommend the new Swift as the diesel (and petrol) variant has braking-issues, unless you buy the top-of-the-range ZDi.
I am not a very fast driver so I will have to TD and judge them for myself. What is your take on the Ritz diesel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
Suzuki A-Star > Hyundai Santro Xing (don't remember which engine) > Ford Figo (yes, petrol one) > Hyundai i20 Kappa2 > Suzuki Swift 1.3L MPFi > Suzuki Swift K12 > Honda Brio > Maruti Wagon R 1.1L > Maruti 800 MPFi
Thanks for that list. There are a few surprises in it for me although I agree that the Santro was one heck of a car to drive.

Quote:
By the way, I'm curious to know what's your thought on the following-
1. Brio's dashboard rattling issue. Are you ready to live with it? As far as I read, it seems to be common in all Brio's and that it can't be fixed. Not sure if it's true or not. None of us owns a Brio ya know.
I am totally unaware of these rattles. I hate Rattles in a new car. Can you share some more info on this?

Quote:
2. Buying Brio without knowing its mileage? Are you confident that it can deliver good mileage (say 13kpl in city with AC)? The current class leader is A-Star (19kpl in city with AC). 1000km per month usage demands that the petrol car should deliver at least 15kpl in city with AC, right?
Well going by the FE figures being reported by City and Jazz owners I feel even the Brio should return 13-14 kmpl in the city.

But having said that I was just having a long discussion with my Dad and we were talking about the logic behind selling the City and buying another Petrol hatch in its place as pointed out by Sameer and many other BHPians too above. And if I let go off the charm of a new car then it really doesn't make any sense. Even if the City would return me 10kmpl ( which it does now but I expect it to increase since the traffic there is a lot less than Delhi) then also it would make more sense than buying a new hatch which might give me 13-14 kmpl. And then you will need to add the driving pleasure of the City over the Hatches in general. Dad agreed to let me spice up the City which would require:
1. Marginal Body work: just some basic polishing.
2. A good ICE
3. Alloys
4. New seat covers
5. A detailed servicing with suspension work.
And this would give me a cool looking sedan. Although I will have to bear with the low FE. So right now the debate in my mind is going on between the City vs a new diesel Ritz/Swift.

Its a tough decision and I am working on the various permutations and combinations. So please bear with my changing views every now and then.

Last edited by drmohitg : 12th April 2012 at 09:28. Reason: Corrected Typing Error.
Old 12th April 2012, 09:51   #63
BHPian

I think you should sell both of them and go for a less than 10K used diesel hatch (Polo or Ritz or Swift or i20). There's a big used car market near Baroda at Nadiad and Anand (an hour away). These two towns are full of rich people who keep changing their cars in a year or two. You'll save a lot of money. No state-transfers in future. Happy driving on GJ roads!
creative420 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 09:53   #64
Senior - BHPian

Exactly my point was even if city gives 10kmpl, it doesn't make sense to go for a new hatch only for new car feeling.

Regarding the money you'll loose on depreciation on city, same amount you'll be ending up depreciating up on a hatch.

So a spiced up city ain't bad as compared to other hatch, drive her for 3 years and then buy a new car maybe a jetta or 3 series .

Sameer
Old 12th April 2012, 10:28   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Let me be honest- as someone who owns 2 petrol cars, every visit to the petrol pump causes a mini heart attack. For example, I just tanked up the Vento and paid a bill of 3450/- No matter how much the difference between diesel and petrol at the time of purchase, once it's a sunk cost you tend to rationalise it and focus on the oeprating expenses alone. My petrol cars cost around Rs. 6/km to run on average. A diesel costs HALF that.

So having said that, if you are as FE-conscious as your posts tend to show, don't even THINK of getting a petrol car. All that high-revving, no-turbo-lag, no-clatter talkwill go out of the window when you start seeing bills like the kind I saw this morning (comparative tank-up of a Vento TDI would cost around 2300/-). In any case you say you will be paying for fuel out of your pocket.

Ritz Vdi is a very sensible car to buy and I would recommend it, with all the caveats from my earlier post. Swift Zdi, though extremely expensive and with a waiting period, is *the* car to pick up at the moment. The Figo (one short of the top-end) is also a great VFM buy. I suggest you TD all 3 and choose the one which your heart suggests!
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 10:43   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
I think you should sell both of them and go for a less than 10K used diesel hatch (Polo or Ritz or Swift or i20). There's a big used car market near Baroda at Nadiad and Anand (an hour away). These two towns are full of rich people who keep changing their cars in a year or two. You'll save a lot of money. No state-transfers in future. Happy driving on GJ roads!
Thanks for that piece of Info. This can surely be looked into in future. I would go check this place once I am settled there. Also this gives me the option to correctly analyse my monthly running and the need for a diesel hatch if at all. BTW I have heard this thing about Gujarat that just like Punjab a lot of NRI folks love to change there cars very soon due to surplus to spend or relocating to the West and in the process there are many a good deals to be had there. I am very interested in a used Fortuner and have already told some people in Jalandhar to keep a look out for the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
Exactly my point was even if city gives 10kmpl, it doesn't make sense to go for a new hatch only for new car feeling.

So a spiced up city ain't bad as compared to other hatch, drive her for 3 years and then buy a new car maybe a jetta or 3 series .
Thats true and Thanks to your initial post I might now have to bear the running costs of Petrol from my own salary rather than enjoy the savings from a diesel.
And three years down the line the market would have changed a lot with many new cars to choose from. So it would not be a bad idea. Another thing bearing on my mind is the following which was mentioned a few pages back and makes very good sense. I have seen the parking space available and then there are always seniors and friends wanting to borrow your car. With a Petrol sucking Sedan no one is going to even dare to do that
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestarry View Post
Old cars can be parked in any place, can be left unwashed, can be driven with freedom in crowded conditions, can be even 'neglected' if I may say something as blasphemous in this forum. The pressures on a PG or PPG student can be enormous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Let me be honest- as someone who owns 2 petrol cars, every visit to the petrol pump causes a mini heart attack. For example, I just tanked up the Vento and paid a bill of 3450/- No matter how much the difference between diesel and petrol at the time of purchase, once it's a sunk cost you tend to rationalise it and focus on the oeprating expenses alone. My petrol cars cost around Rs. 6/km to run on average. A diesel costs HALF that.
+1 to that. All the talk about break even period look trash when you get your car tanked up. I drive on an average 850-900 kms in my Altis and the tank up just costs me around Rs 1500-1600. On the other hand the Lancer and the City take in fuel worth Rs 2200-2300 for every 300 kms. Imagine the difference in the running costs. And the route travelled is almost the same in both cases w.r.t traffic and 100% AC.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 12th April 2012 at 11:17. Reason: Merging consecutive posts. Please avoid back-to-back posts. Use the 'Edit' option. Thanks :)
Old 12th April 2012, 11:16   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Why would they do that? It doesn't make sense to me since with its current position its sure to be a hot seller. Even now its only suffering because of the production issues.
More loss than profit, or anything else for Honda? It sure is a great car, but it's been 3 years since it has been around now, and it hasn't really clicked. Agreed, once assembly begins and the parts start to come in, it should be not long before a booked Jazz lands in its respective garage.

I personally would be heartbroken if they discontinue it. It would be another great car like the Ford Fusion and the Chevrolet Forester that would be biting the dust.

Quote:
I can get immediate delivery for the both the Jazz and Brio. On the other hand I would have to wait for a long time for the Swift incase I choose to get that.
I will say it again.

If it's going to be a petrol, get the Brio.

Quote:
I am not a very fast driver so I will have to TD and judge them for myself. What is your take on the Ritz diesel?
If not buy a Ritz diesel (with ABS) It's a great car. pretty much like the (old) Swift in a different avatar, which is a good thing. And it feels like one to drive too!

Stay away from the lower variants of the diesel Swifts, at least until Maruti does something 'bout the brakes.

It's not about going fast or anything. Even if you're doing 50-60 and you're required to stop on the dime, the lower variants of the Swift will make you skip a heart-beat or two as the brakes are inadequate and slightly shock-inducing if you're caught unaware.

I'd driven a friends brand new black Swift VDI, and although it's a step in the right direction, and ahead of the old Swift in many ways, it's brakes could have been appointed better.

The new ZDI though, is great. Arguably the best hatch, price-no-bar, at this point. It's got great brakes. And I don't think it's only to do with the ABS that it comes with.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 12th April 2012 at 11:22.
Old 12th April 2012, 11:58   #68
Team-BHP Support

The new Swift is no more a VFM product. Its become more up-market and borders on to premium
(I think it has already crossed the line).

Since you mentioned about being student, that's why I mentioned that it has to be a Maruti keeping costs down.
From that point view I had suggested the Ritz. You should get the Ritz VDI with ABS and may, upsize the tyres
and get alloys. That should be just perfect.

Last edited by ampere : 12th April 2012 at 12:00.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 12:21   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
. All that high-revving, no-turbo-lag, no-clatter talkwill go out of the window when you start seeing bills like the kind I saw this morning (comparative tank-up of a Vento TDI would cost around 2300/-).
LOL!! kind of confused with your signature

If you are going for petrol, please go for the brio. That is one sweet looking car!!!

Are you looking only at hatches? Have you thought about a thar? i think the thar can really hold its resale value, though it would be too early to comment on the same.
Old 12th April 2012, 12:25   #70
Team-BHP Support

Mohit, since the Ritz diesel is one of the top contenders in your search, consider this aspect as well: New Maruti Ritz coming soon - News - Autocar India
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 13:47   #71
BHPian

Quote:
How are the servicing costs of the Figo?
Quote:
I am totally unaware of these rattles. I hate Rattles in a new car. Can you share some more info on this?
Why don't you browse their respective official threads and read last few pages to find answers yourself? Seriously, I thought you must be knowing about Figo's servicing costs and list of all issues in Brio. If not then I strongly suggest you to read them instead of oggling at Sunny ownership threads here and there

Choosing a hatch is not as simple as choosing Sunny vs Vento or Altis vs Jetta. Do some research on the forum and take TDs yourself. You have owned a Lancer so only really few hatches can satisfy you. And please, you seriously want to take an old City instead of a spanking new hatch? Explore hatchbacks, I urge you!
Old 12th April 2012, 14:32   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
Why don't you browse their respective official threads and read last few pages to find answers yourself? Seriously, I thought you must be knowing about Figo's servicing costs and list of all issues in Brio. If not then I strongly suggest you to read them instead of oggling at Sunny ownership threads here and there
Well I will be getting the Sunny delivered today evening or tomorrow. Its gone for registration today and so obviously the urge to look at other Sunny threads is too tough to contain.
But I did read the reviews and GTO and Anshuman are all praises for the BRIO. Now would read the last pages. I am lazy.

Quote:
Choosing a hatch is not as simple as choosing Sunny vs Vento or Altis vs Jetta. Do some research on the forum and take TDs yourself. You have owned a Lancer so only really few hatches can satisfy you. And please, you seriously want to take an old City instead of a spanking new hatch? Explore hatchbacks, I urge you
Well to be honest I have lost track of the Hatchback market. I last bought the Santro in 2002 and sold it 6 years later and that was the last hatch I had. Now suddenly the need for another one arised and has left me puzzled. Anyways I am going to take some TDs but more or less would either Stick to the City or buy a Diesel hatch ( Ritz>Figo>Swift).

Mod Note : I guess the last few pages have sufficient number of suggestions on what to do with your existing cars. The hatchbacks being considered have already been discussed in several other threads.

This thread is closed.

Last edited by GTO : 12th April 2012 at 19:10. Reason: Adding thread closure note
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks