Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2012, 13:19   #16
BHPian

Re: What to sell Zen 2006 or Safari 2007?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
You can sell your Safari only if you're NOT a car lover IMHO. If i was you i would sell my Zen and would invest in my Safari to make it worth every penny and take a taxi when a 2nd car is required.

I have all the vehicles mentioned in my signature and would do exactly what i mentioned above if i was in your situation.
Ahhhh @harishnayak, it hurts more when you make statements like this, “you can sell you Safari only if you are not a Safari lover”
I just love the Safari from my heart. You are putting me in more trouble and dilemma. I am for a change trying to be more practical and think with my head.
I am absolutely looking at it from a long term ownership perspective. Touch wood, I haven't had any issues with my Safari yet, but I see signs of it aging now and that is why I am looking at selling it.
Then off course it is too big a vehicle for daily commute in a city like Bangalore, where I have to drive 35km one way in all the peak traffic from my home to reach my work place.
Old 11th April 2012, 13:34   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
You are wrong here,

Currently my running cost based on Fuel prices are like this

Maruti 800 with a FE of 15 kmpl ( A/C ON ) @ 75/ltr = ~Rs.5.00

Safari Dicor 3L with a FE of 12 kmpl (A/C ON ) @ 46/ltr = ~Rs.3.80
Safari Dicor 3L with a FE of 10 kmpl (A/C ON ) @ 46/ltr = ~Rs.4.60
These are my FE, so dont see too much of a difference

Quote:
I know well how a Maruti after 10 years of running, BEGS for attention every month. Your car is closing in on a lac kms, and mark my words, you will find the Service centre taking good care of replacing parts, but the amount of parts you need to replace will drive you nuts, and a Maruti Ages real bad.
My Zen is 6 years old and I plan to sell it off, by the time it reaches 10 years. I am hoping the maintenance cost of the Zen will not be that bad.

Quote:
Whereas the Dicor engine has a lifespan of 3 lac kms, and much more reliable than the ageing zen. Service Network and quality levels of service in Bangalore has never been bad for Tata cars, i can vouch on this based on my Safari Dicor's service experience since the last 6 years.
I do agree, I have had good experience with the Service from Concord, till date. But the only compliant I have is if I complain about any issue,
they say it is normal and a common issue, or to put in other words they underplay the issue and do nothing about it. So they don’t fix the problem stating it is not a problem
Once I took the vehicle to Carnation for service, and the folks there literally scared me saying the whole suspension is gone, you will have to replace it and stuff like that. Off course I am not too sure of the Service engineer's credibility at Carnation. So I ignored him and go with Tata's Service engineer's story which is there is no problem with your vehicle suspension
While the fact is I know, it needs to be fixed soon, but not sure how big a problem it is.

Quote:
Consider the below facts.

1) Less comfort
2) Less Space
3) More Driving fatigue
4) 5k service intervals
5) High and ever rising Fuel prices in Bangalore
I disagree to the more driving fatigue point, cause I find the hatch more drivable and comfortable in a city like Bangalore.

Quote:
Consider doing your long distance trips with your family in a ZEN! how convenient and comfortable would that be.?
I can always hire a bigger vehicle for my long distance drives, I have heard you get vehicles like the Pajero for self-drive on hire in Bangalore these days. So why not go for it, I usually do two long drives in a year, which is around 1000+ kms per trip. So I am ok with hiring for these outstation trips.

Quote:

And, Downgrading from a Cult SUV to a hatch or sedan. Would it make sense?
I am ok with that, I would leave the snob value out for now, for some time at least. and think more practically.
Quote:
Its your decision at the end, my opinion given only because i too own a Maruti and a Safari Dicor just like you, and since the last 3 months my Dicor is running daily and the 800 lying at home as its ageing real fast and becoming tighter on my purse by the day.
Old 11th April 2012, 16:44   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithvpl View Post
Ahhhh @harishnayak, it hurts more when you make statements like this, “you can sell you Safari only if you are not a Safari lover”
I just love the Safari from my heart. You are putting me in more trouble and dilemma. I am for a change trying to be more practical and think with my head.
I am absolutely looking at it from a long term ownership perspective. Touch wood, I haven't had any issues with my Safari yet, but I see signs of it aging now and that is why I am looking at selling it.
Then off course it is too big a vehicle for daily commute in a city like Bangalore, where I have to drive 35km one way in all the peak traffic from my home to reach my work place.
Although my intention was not to put you in dilemma but to try and make you change your mind . One needs to be practical and should go with what makes more sense. All the best!
Old 11th April 2012, 16:44   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Zen is 6 years old and I plan to sell it off, by the time it reaches 10 years. I am hoping the maintenance cost of the Zen will not be that bad.
+1 to that. Zen, i believe would be much cheaper to maintain upto 10 years and 1L kms. Go through @tsk1979 safari thread and you would know there would be more problems in safari, i must add, that the fix to those problems will be cheaper (because its Tata), plus i have seen Tata service folks seriously try and fix problems, and have seen sometimes they are ready to give goodwill warranty as well.

Which one would be cheaper to own, i am not so sure now (earlier i thought it would be Zen), but throw in the price of petrol (which is going through the roof) and some other parameters like (MSIL parts are more expensive then Tata's) etc and its not easy to figure out which one would be cheaper to own overall. Although one thing is sure, Zen would require lesser visits to the service shop.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 11th April 2012 at 16:45.
Old 11th April 2012, 16:47   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Safari Dicor 3L with a FE of 10 kmpl (A/C ON ) @ 46/ltr = ~Rs.4.60
These are my FE, so dont see too much of a difference
Sell the Zen, get a Nano, it will be a Breeze to drive in the city. There ends your problem in a jiffy.

Safari at 45k odd kms is as good as Brand New.

Last edited by GTO : 21st April 2012 at 17:06. Reason: Please quote only the relevant bits of a post. Also, do type in English only

Most Viewed