Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2012, 12:12   #1
BHPian

What to sell Zen 2006 or Safari 2007?

I have a Maruti Zen Lxi 2006 model and Tata Safari 2007 3.0 Liter Dicor, I am planning to sell one of them and retain one.
I am in a dilemma, I am not able to decide which one to retain and which one to let go.
Usage Zen is used for daily driving and Safari is only used on weekends and for long drives.
Both the vehicles need a suspension change and some additional maintenance, keeping that in mind, which should I sell?
My thought is to sell the Safari and retain the Zen, Do some modifications and maintenance on the Zen and use it further.
By selling the Safari, I can buy another small hatch, by putting some 50K more on top of the price that I would get by selling the Safari.
What do you people suggest?
Old 10th April 2012, 14:59   #2
BHPian

Re: What to sell Zen 2006 or Safari 2007?

You've got the answer. I too feel you should sell Safari. You can use the money if you to buy another car. And by the time you buy a new car, you can keep zipping in your Zen. But you're definitely gonna miss your Safari on weekends....
Old 10th April 2012, 15:03   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Do you mind sharing the no.of kms. that each car has covered?

Also inspite of the no.of kms. it would be wise/sensible to let go of the Safari since it is only your weekend ride.

May be you could replace it with a pre-worshipped sedan(civic/city??) with some investment on your part,which will be your ride in the weekends.

The Zen can continue in your stable to being your workhorse provided it hasn't clocked some high mileage.
Old 10th April 2012, 15:09   #4
BHPian

Retaining Zen and selling Safari makes a lot of sense.

1. Zen is used by you for daily commute unlike Safari, which is appropriate and Zen can serve you some more years for sure.
2. Since suspension work is required on both, doing it only on Zen makes sense.
3. You are right when you say you can buy a new hatch by selling the Safari. The same cant be held true for the Zen, obviously Safari will fetch you more than the Zen.

You have been advised very correctly. Retain the ZEN and let go the SAFARI

Last edited by HorsPwr : 10th April 2012 at 15:20.
Old 10th April 2012, 15:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

It all depends on YOU. Which one you like the most in whatever parameter you choose. Ease of driving, ease of parking, low cost maintenance, niggle free nature, amount of space the car provides, fuel economy etc etc to name a few.

Although Safari is newer then the Zen everyone would recommend selling the Safari as most of the times the Tata's do not age well and it gets more and more expensive as odometer reading goes up, but you are the best judge.

I for one look for economical ownership over very many years, and it is in this parameter the Zen scores over Safari (In my personal view, i see some folks raising eyebrows), hence its preferable to retain Zen and let go of the Safari.
Old 10th April 2012, 15:44   #6
BHPian

According to me you should keep Safari. Because prices of petrol are only increasing. Since Safari is diesel it will be economical and light on pocket. Also while travelling with your family you might find shortage of space in Zen compared to Safari. As Zen is old getting its parts might be little difficult compared to Safari as both 3l and 2.2 share same parts. But this is just opinion and the final decision should be yours. Hope this helps.
Old 10th April 2012, 16:49   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Do you mind sharing the no.of kms. that each car has covered?

Also inspite of the no.of kms. it would be wise/sensible to let go of the Safari since it is only your weekend ride.

May be you could replace it with a pre-worshipped sedan(civic/city??) with some investment on your part,which will be your ride in the weekends.

The Zen can continue in your stable to being your workhorse provided it hasn't clocked some high mileage.
Zen has clocked 62k and Safari is 42k.
Safari is mainly highway miles and weekend drive only, I don't use it during the weekdays.

Thanks a lot folks for concurring with my thought, I too am keen on economical ownership, and feel an old Zen may be lighter on the purse to maintain compared to a Safari. Additionally my Safari will fetch me a good value today compared to the Zen.
Old 11th April 2012, 01:37   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

How about selling both and getting a good diesel hatch that is safe enough for highways as well?
Old 11th April 2012, 02:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

You can sell your Safari only if you're NOT a car lover IMHO. If i was you i would sell my Zen and would invest in my Safari to make it worth every penny and take a taxi when a 2nd car is required.

I have all the vehicles mentioned in my signature and would do exactly what i mentioned above if i was in your situation.
Old 11th April 2012, 04:49   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

If your usage does not warrant two cars, you could sell both and buy a spacious diesel.

You could think of the upcoming Ertiga.

One car would mean savings on all fronts - capital,insurance and maintenance
Old 11th April 2012, 09:31   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithvpl View Post
Zen has clocked 62k and Safari is 42k.
Safari is mainly highway miles and weekend drive only, I don't use it during the weekdays.

Thanks a lot folks for concurring with my thought, I too am keen on economical ownership, and feel an old Zen may be lighter on the purse to maintain compared to a Safari. Additionally my Safari will fetch me a good value today compared to the Zen.
You are wrong here,

Currently my running cost based on Fuel prices are like this

Maruti 800 with a FE of 15 kmpl ( A/C ON ) @ 75/ltr = ~Rs.5.00

Safari Dicor 3L with a FE of 12 kmpl (A/C ON ) @ 46/ltr = ~Rs.3.80

I know well how a Maruti after 10 years of running, BEGS for attention every month. Your car is closing in on a lac kms, and mark my words, you will find the Service centre taking good care of replacing parts, but the amount of parts you need to replace will drive you nuts, and a Maruti Ages real bad. Whereas the Dicor engine has a lifespan of 3 lac kms, and much more reliable than the ageing zen. Service Network and quality levels of service in Bangalore has never been bad for Tata cars, i can vouch on this based on my Safari Dicor's service experience since the last 6 years.

Consider the below facts.

1) Less comfort
2) Less Space
3) More Driving fatigue
4) 5k service intervals
5) High and ever rising Fuel prices in Bangalore

Consider doing your long distance trips with your family in a ZEN! how convenient and comfortable would that be.?

And, Downgrading from a Cult SUV to a hatch or sedan. Would it make sense?

Its your decision at the end, my opinion given only because i too own a Maruti and a Safari Dicor just like you, and since the last 3 months my Dicor is running daily and the 800 lying at home as its ageing real fast and becoming tighter on my purse by the day.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 11th April 2012 at 09:40.
Old 11th April 2012, 09:55   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Some good points for & against each. But I'll go with Pavan's here. If you want another car, sell the Zen and get a new hatch.

You may spend a little more than if you replaced the Safari with another car, but will be worth it. By replacing the Zen with a new hatch, you also get a newer car for your regular drives - and still have the Safari for the weekends. A Safari that has done only 42k run has not run much - and unfortunately, you wont get much more just because running has been less.
Old 11th April 2012, 11:24   #13
Senior - BHPian

Are you planning on getting a replacement for the one you sell ? Else by all counts I would suggest that you retain the Dicor. I second pavan's post and would consider selling the Zen.
Old 11th April 2012, 11:46   #14
Senior - BHPian

I think you can sell the zen and get a NANO for city , cheap ,easy to drive and park ,mileage ,don't know about spares (but should be cheap ) .

Keep the safari ,since family keeps growing and everyone can travel with comfort .

Last edited by black12rr : 11th April 2012 at 11:47.
Old 11th April 2012, 13:05   #15
BHPian

I would suggest you to keep the safari and replace zen with a decent hatch.

Even though zen will be easier on pocket, it lacks the comfort and power for relaxed drives . Even the new hatches wont bring the space and grunt the SUV boasts.

Also keeping a SUV and a hatch in your garage is better compared to two similar hatches.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks