Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2012, 09:04   #1
BHPian

Which CNG car

Hey friends. I am looking to change my 2009 Hyundai Accent (CNG). I am planning to go in for a company fitted CNG kit as my daily usage is around 75 kms in Mumbai traffic.

I have checked quite a few cars with CNG. Please advise which will be the best option. I am looking for a car with a taller stance than Hyundai Accent as it gives me a back ache at the end of the day!!

Options

1. Santro CNG (dealer fitment)
2. Wagon R CNG
3. Alto CNG (unsure due to low seating)
4. Chevy Beat (Chevy doesnt offer CNG option, I am ok to get it fitted outside and void the warranty provided it functions smoothly)
5. Honda Brio (this is my favorite option as this is a Honda. However I am not sure if a CNG tank can be accomodated in the Brio boot. Ok to void the warranty in this case as well)

Kindly let me know if there are other options as well.

Many thanks in advance.
Old 24th May 2012, 09:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which CNG car

Factory fit is factory fit.
Wagon R suits your bill the most. Just test drive to confirm if you are fine with the handling. Dont expect the gearshifts to be Hyundai smooth.
dipen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 09:17   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda_dude View Post
I have checked quite a few cars with CNG. Please advise which will be the best option. I am looking for a car with a taller stance than Hyundai Accent as it gives me a back ache at the end of the day!!

Options
2. Wagon R CNG
4. Chevy Beat (Chevy doesnt offer CNG option, I am ok to get it fitted outside and void the warranty provided it functions smoothly)
5. Honda Brio (this is my favorite option as this is a Honda. However I am not sure if a CNG tank can be accomodated in the Brio boot. Ok to void the warranty in this case as well)
IMHO you should go for factory fitted CNG option only and retain the warranty. do a test drive of Alto, the seating is not as low as an OHC or Accent (i drive an OHC and also at times unhappy about low seating, drove Alto K10 a few times and was satisfied with the seating position).
Alto CNG or Wagon R CNG may be your best option.
fitting a CNG on Brio would just kill the sweetness of this awesome engine.

also check out this thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...green-cng.html
infotech58 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 09:17   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Factory fit is factory fit.
Wagon R suits your bill the most. Just test drive to confirm if you are fine with the handling. Dont expect the gearshifts to be Hyundai smooth.
Hey Dipen,

I test drove the Wagon R. However didnt like the shape of the current model that much. Also the price is around 5+ on road in mumbai. The handling is good, however the gear shift is not that great as u mentioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
IMHO you should go for factory fitted CNG option only and retain the warranty. do a test drive of Alto, the seating is not as low as an OHC or Accent (i drive an OHC and also at times unhappy about low seating, drove Alto K10 a few times and was satisfied with the seating position).
Alto CNG or Wagon R CNG may be your best option.
fitting a CNG on Brio would just kill the sweetness of this awesome engine.

also check out this thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...green-cng.html
Many thansk for your help infotech. Even i am sceptical of fitting a CNG kit in Brio. It is just too sweet for it. The 88 Bhp vtec doesnt deserve that. I will surely test drive the Alto CNG as well. Not sure if it'll be comfortable as I am a pretty big guy!!

Last edited by Eddy : 24th May 2012 at 15:28. Reason: Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of posting back to back posts within 30 mins. Thanks.
Old 24th May 2012, 10:10   #5
BANNED

factory fitted CNG option will always better than dealer/outside fitment.

Best option i see is WagonR CNG. Heard lot of good words about it.
Old 24th May 2012, 10:33   #6

Quote:
Hey friends. I am looking to change my 2009 Hyundai Accent (CNG). I am planning to go in for a company fitted CNG kit as my daily usage is around 75 kms in Mumbai traffic.

Options

2. Wagon R CNG
I would suggest you to go for Wagon R CNG considering the factory fitted equipment.
I had test driven the vehicle sometime ago and felt a lot comfortable than in a sedan as it is comparatively tall(6 footer myself).
Haven't heard a lot about Chevy's after sales experience but Maruti's service as you must be knowing is so far the best compared to others.

PS: Going for CNG vehicle is the best to do considering the recent hike in petrol prices.
Old 24th May 2012, 15:23   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SriramVemuri View Post
I would suggest you to go for Wagon R CNG considering the factory fitted equipment.
I had test driven the vehicle sometime ago and felt a lot comfortable than in a sedan as it is comparatively tall(6 footer myself).
Haven't heard a lot about Chevy's after sales experience but Maruti's service as you must be knowing is so far the best compared to others.

PS: Going for CNG vehicle is the best to do considering the recent hike in petrol prices.
Hey Sriram,

The only drawback for wagon r is the gearshift. I was also thinking of going for the Beat diesel. Not sure if it would prove as economical as a CNG vehicle.
Old 24th May 2012, 15:28   #8

Quote:
Hey Sriram,

The only drawback for wagon r is the gearshift. I was also thinking of going for the Beat diesel. Not sure if it would prove as economical as a CNG vehicle.
Yeah. The gearshift will not be as smooth as that of Hyundai's or Chevy's. But if you consider the after sales service and the availability of spares wagon R seems to be the better option.

But honestly speaking I've never test driven Beat diesel. So cant say much about it. If you could specify the price range in which you are looking for the vehicle then you might get more options if in case you are looking for a diesel car.
Old 24th May 2012, 15:57   #9
BHPian

Wagon R is a very good car, yes it as its share of issues but if you look past it, the car is a very good package. Personally, I find the current design much better than the old boxy design.
Old 24th May 2012, 16:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

@honda_dude, for this purchase i would not recommend buying a Honda. There have been two instances when Honda engines when run on LPG/CNG did not do well. Anyway as others have recommended its always better to get a factory fitted CNG/LPG, as it works better and also does not void warranty.

If you are unhappy about the WagonR please take a look at Santro if you are ok with its old design. Its a wonderful city car and the eco version is easy on the purse as well.
Old 24th May 2012, 16:18   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
@honda_dude, for this purchase i would not recommend buying a Honda. There have been two instances when Honda ok with its old design. Its a wonderful city car and the eco version is easy on the purse as well.
These instances where Hondas did not prove amenable to CNG are from your circle of family/friends/acquaintances or they are instances reported on TBhp by forum members?

Given the persistent downtrend in prices of pre-owned petrol guzzlers I am very tempted to go in for an AT and attempt a CNG fitment. I wonder whether I am being foolhardy?
Old 24th May 2012, 16:23   #12
Senior - BHPian

Can someone elaborate on how fitting a CNG in a Honda car takes away the sweetness/refinement of the engine while it is not the case with other cars?

Why Honda cars are not CNG friendly?

PS - I have no intention to get my Honda CNGfied. This is just a query.
Old 24th May 2012, 16:39   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_DEL View Post
These instances where Hondas did not prove amenable to CNG are from your circle of family/friends/acquaintances or they are instances reported on TBhp by forum members?
These are my friends, close ones (two of them) converted their Old Honda City to LPG and later removed it as it was not giving the efficiency that they thought it would. I just spoke to one of the guys and he mentioned that the technician who converted his Honda City to LPG said Honda engines are very good as they are, so do not mess with them.

So currently he runs his City with LPG Fitted but disconnected .

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 24th May 2012 at 16:44.
Old 24th May 2012, 18:19   #14
Senior - BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this. Thanks

@Honda dude.

With the ever increasing Petrol prices, CNG is the best option.

My two bits on your dilemma.

I agree with fellow Bhpians that the factory fitted CNG kit is the best.

The Maruti Wagon R/Alto comes fitted with a state of the art CNG kit(Venturi Kit) and is far more superlative than any retro fitted ones.

Any dealer fitment may take away the fun from the engine. Since you are in Mumbai, Green globe, located in Mulund are respectable and proficient with the retro fitments.

I would still suggest you go for the Waggie as it fits your needs completely.

I am getting a constant average between 21-24 kms/kg, always with AC on.

Last edited by GTO : 25th May 2012 at 13:21. Reason: Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.
Old 25th May 2012, 13:20   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Why Honda cars are not CNG friendly?
I would consider Honda's poor for CNG because of dismal low end torque. That situation will worsen when driving on CNG supply.

@ Dipen : Well said. Factory fit is indeed factory fit. If I were to go for a CNG car, I'd only consider cars that have CNG kits installed on the assembly line (or even the dealer, but covered by manufacturer warranty).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks