Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2012, 15:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which CNG car

The i10 CNG fitted option is now available! Why not go for it?!?

Personally, I would just buy the i10 automatic and get a CNG kit fitted at Kwality Gas Centre at Sion. The Sardarji out there (Jitender) is a genius and can do a very good job with fitting and maintaining a good stock look. I just got my Verna done from him.
He had done 2 of my Accents prior to this.
Old 25th May 2012, 15:59   #17
BHPian

How about SX4 Green?
Seems to be a practical vehicle. I would have gone for that if my budget allowed.
OTR Pune is around 8.6L. Comes with factory fitted CNG kit, allows you to use the boot as well.
Problem with any hatchback with CNG is 0 boot space. You carry your luggage on the back seat.
TD proved its a practical car, and well behaved car on highway and city traffic in Pune as well.
Old 25th May 2012, 23:35   #18
Senior - BHPian

CNG-I would recommend a Maruti in this case. Factory quality and warranty, runs like petrol and no compromise on daily running either. Why not stretch for the SX4 VXI CNG? Heard there are good discounts on offer. Or, a wagon-R CNG.
Old 26th May 2012, 12:34   #19
SAS
BHPian

I too would recommend the idea of the SX4 CNG. Its a good vehicle. It may stretch your budget a bit but it shall pay off in the long run. You should avoid cars which have very little low end torque. Even the Wagon R CNG suffers a bit from it. So my recommendations would be:

1. SX4 CNG
2. Santro CNG (this vehicle has a very good low end torque)
3. Alto CNG ((if you are on a tight budget. The Atlo CNG has the older 800 cc engine which has good low end torque, I drive an Alto CNG, hence speaking from experience)

Go factory fitted too. Maruti has done a very good job of stiffening the rear suspension on their CNG models. If you go aftermarket, not only you may void warranty or have a slightly sub standard fit, but you would also have to do the modifications like install oversized spacers or use stiffer springs for your rear suspension.
Old 26th May 2012, 15:53   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda_dude View Post

Kindly let me know if there are other options as well.
You are missing out SX4 CNG. And among the options you listed, definitely this is the best option in the market. Have a look at this thread - is exhaustively informative on SX4 CNG.
Old 27th May 2012, 19:31   #21
Senior - BHPian

Brio CNG
- Low end Honda torque (though not so bad) + no one seems to have tried it yet.
- You dont want to be the first one, do you

i10 CNG
- This is a dealer option. As good or as bad as any aftermarket.
- Not sure if Hyundai extends the same warranty for dealer fitted CNG cars.

Santro
- Still comes only in LPG factory fitted
- No factory fitted CNG

Alto CNG
- You can feel the Sluggishness of the 800 cc motor.
- Gear shift one of the worse (like WagonR)
- K10 Alto does not come with factory CNG option

WagonR CNG
-Only sizable hatch with factory CNG option
- Yes there is a premium of over 75000 over petrol model.
- But remember any manufacture spends money on RnD, testing
- So you have a tried and tested product.
- A similar after market installation may cost you near 40-50k
- But they will still be inferior to factory fit
- No one does suspension settings in aftermarket
- Your factory fitted model will have all settings, adjustments, ECU, computer, spring rates calibrated after too much testing and research.

So you need to answer two questions to make a decision
- is the WagonR CNG worth the additional approx 30k premium over petrol+aftermarket.
- OR you buy a car of your choice + reputed aftermarket option

Ps: Beat diesel not considered

Last edited by dipen : 27th May 2012 at 19:36.
Old 28th May 2012, 11:15   #22
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday I got my car (Santro Zing) serviced at FX Huyndai (FBD). I inquired about the conversion of new Hyundai cars to CNG, & was informed by the service advisor (Mr. Vimal Kumar Sharma) that none of the NCR dealers are now offering CNG conversion of the cars, as the company has fined few dealers Rs.3 Lacs for supplying own CNG fitments instead of company one.

He also informed me that only the sequential kits approved by Hyundai are being installed on new cars for which the company charges Rs.55K extra. Even the service centers are attending only these converted cars with approved CNG kits.

In a nutshell, it is as good as factory fitment of the CNG kits as the trained technician/ mechanic will fit & service the same.

I suggest you check the same with Hyundai dealers before you go for CNG cars as you may have a wider choice for your decision making.

Best of Luck
Old 28th May 2012, 11:21   #23
Senior - BHPian

Go for the EON LPG or EON CNG or i10 auto CNG or i10 era CNG. You won't regret it.

OR else, buy a sparingly used Verna (old model) or Accent like how we did (this is our 3rd Hyundai) and convert to CNG. Run for 2 years. Rinse and repeat :-) (the reason why I say this is CNG cars tend to lose more power over the years than their Petrol counterparts unless you do a 50:50 run on Petrol daily. but then the cost benefits are offset. so what we do is buy a used car, run it for 50-60 km on CNG alone, and change every 2 years. Over the long run it might be cheaper to do that then to turn a brand new car to CNG, bear the depreciation in terms of cost as well as condition, and then after 3 years you are left with an underpowered car)
Old 29th May 2012, 11:16   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I would consider Honda's poor for CNG because of dismal low end torque. That situation will worsen when driving on CNG supply.

@ Dipen : Well said. Factory fit is indeed factory fit. If I were to go for a CNG car, I'd only consider cars that have CNG kits installed on the assembly line (or even the dealer, but covered by manufacturer warranty).
Hey GTO.

Thanks for your advice. Even I am not up for installing a CNG in a honda. Took a TD of the beat diesel as well. The executive claimed a mileage of 20kmpl in the city with ac. Not sure how true that is. My friend recently bought a santro auto (preowned) with cng. Works like a charm.

Till now i am decided on the santro CNG. Just waiting to sell off my accent CNG.

Lets see if I can figure out other options.

Many thanks for all your suggestions. Keep them coming.

Cheers.
Old 29th May 2012, 11:23   #25
Team-BHP Support

Whats the price difference between WagonR & Santro (both CNG)? The WagonR is a much more modern car. Regarding gear shift, the new generation WagonR has a muchhh improved gear box.

A friend of mine is so happy with his WagonR CNG that he sold off his other car, to buy another WagonR.
Old 29th May 2012, 16:03   #26
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ms-update.html

Above is the link to my thread of factory fitted WAgon R CNG. We also have Baleno CNG fitted with close loop system. However, for normal driving, as I have mention in the above thread, WAgon R CNG is the best option. You just wont feel power loss or jerks, etc. The switchover is smooth, and ECU is smart enough to let the engine warm up. Maruti has got its ECU calibration correct.

Moreover, the higher seating position is also an added advantage. The gearbox is vastly improved over earlier wagon R, so is ride quality and overall build. My car is not having rattles even after 33K kms.

CNG efficiency is also very nice. Drive it once and you will come to know more.
Old 4th June 2012, 19:27   #27
Senior - BHPian

@ honda_dude

Just got off a call with Maruti dealers for an inquiry for a friend

WagonR CNG and WagonR petrol - the prices difference is now just 45k. This is coz the road tax for petrol has increased but for CNG it has decreased.

Dealers are offering 30k flat across most petrol range ( inquired for Alto, WagonR, A-star).

Final approx OTR Mumbai Individual prices:
WagonR VXI = 485k - 30k discount = 455000
WagonR LXI = 455k - 30k discount = 425000
WagonR CNG = 500k - 30k discount = 470000
Alto K10 VXi = 400k - 30k discount = 370000

All Maruti cars have a further negotiation(or freebies) scope + corporate discount

In comparision Brio E MT = 480000 - 30k = 450000
Old 4th June 2012, 20:20   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
@ honda_dude

Just got off a call with Maruti dealers for an inquiry for a friend

WagonR CNG and WagonR petrol - the prices difference is now just 45k. This is coz the road tax for petrol has increased but for CNG it has decreased.

Dealers are offering 30k flat across most petrol range ( inquired for Alto, WagonR, A-star).

Final approx OTR Mumbai Individual prices:
WagonR VXI = 485k - 30k discount = 455000
WagonR LXI = 455k - 30k discount = 425000
WagonR CNG = 500k - 30k discount = 470000
Alto K10 VXi = 400k - 30k discount = 370000

All Maruti cars have a further negotiation(or freebies) scope + corporate discount

Thanks for the update Dipen. Just checked in pune, they are offering 28K discount on WagonR CNG. Either maruti is having differnet schemes in two cities in same state or dealer in pune is taking for ride. (He also offered me 2K free accessories - probably i know where this 2 K is comming from :-) ).
Old 5th June 2012, 16:09   #29
BHPian

Quote:

Hi dipen,
Could you verify where you obtained this quote (for the base variant)? Curious about the 30k discount in particular - unless you meant discounts of another nature (freebies etc.)
Thanks.
Old 5th June 2012, 16:27   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i10 CNG
- This is a dealer option. As good or as bad as any aftermarket.
- Not sure if Hyundai extends the same warranty for dealer fitted CNG cars.
No, Hyundai provide factory fitted CNG kit in i10 just like Maruti WagonR. It is also available in factory fitted LPG kit.

Last edited by bluevolt : 5th June 2012 at 16:29.

Most Viewed