Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2006, 16:18   #1
BHPian

A New Getz?

Hi,

Since this is the place to "Get a Team-BHP opinion on all your car purchase queries."; I though I'd get some opinions on the following:

1. I have (almost) decided on the Getz GLX. I think it's an absolutely Great car. I like the Hyundai build quality (for the price) and the clincher over the Swift was the space in the Getz, as compared to the Swift, coupled with the build quality issues with the Swift. Any opinions on whether I have made the right/wrong decision?

2. The current discount available is 25k off. That's it... No freebies.. nothing. Can I bargain for more? Should I wait to purchase in May?? Will there be better offers then? Road tax in Mumbai is set to go up by 3% before May comes though..

3. May seem like a silly question, but how do I check the ABS? I mean, how do I make sure that it works properly?

4. Regarding colour, the dealer says that Hyundai does not have the concept of metallic colors. So, if I go in for Passion Red will it fade and lose its charm after a while?

5. What would be the approximate cost in converting from the stock tyres to tubeless? And should I get it done from the dealer itself or after market?
Old 11th April 2006, 16:53   #2
BHPian

I think you can reconsider your decision or list the options you have considered before zeroing in on Getz..
I dont see Getzs on road nowadays in blore.. sales seems to have become sluggish.. no more ads etc.. so there should be some reason.

As far as I know ride quality and FE are not upto the mark and for that price range you get Fiesta/Aveo ? Wait for some more to pop in their thots..

Last edited by shan_jp : 11th April 2006 at 16:54.
Old 11th April 2006, 17:11   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan_jp
I think you can reconsider your decision or list the options you have considered before zeroing in on Getz..
I had considered the Swift only. The Aveo, Fiesta, Baleno would require a budget of about 1 to 2 lakhs more to give me the same features as the Getz.. Also we don't really need large boot space. And in a city like Mumbai, unless you really need the extra boot, I think it's better to stick to a hatch. What say?

As far as ride quality.. Are you sure that it is not that good? I'd like to hear from Getz users on this..
Old 11th April 2006, 18:02   #4
BHPian

hi decced,

Being a Getz user for the past one year, i can say that the ride quality is definitely good, courtesy of the gas shocks.

Just because sales are sluggish doesnt mean you don't go in for the car... probably its on the VFM front that the Getz feels like a let down compared to the swift.

But, definitely, the Swift is its competition; and yes; the swift is more responsive than the Getz; but through traffic there is hardly any difference.

25K is quite a good discount :-)

Provide you wash your car regularly, and polish once a month; there is absolutely no reason why the color should fade. A getz in passion red looks absolutely stunning :-)

Tyres can be changed to tubeless from any good tyre shop..no problems.

finally expect a city mileage between 10-12 kmpl, and a highway mileage of abt 14. all with AC.
Old 11th April 2006, 18:10   #5
BHPian

1. I have (almost) decided on the Getz GLX. I think it's an absolutely Great car. I like the Hyundai build quality (for the price) and the clincher over the Swift was the space in the Getz, as compared to the Swift, coupled with the build quality issues with the Swift. Any opinions on whether I have made the right/wrong decision?

Getz is a gud car and so is Swift. You told space is the clincher and u can stick with it. Swift is more VFM in my opinion.

2. The current discount available is 25k off. That's it... No freebies.. nothing. Can I bargain for more? Should I wait to purchase in May?? Will there be better offers then? Road tax in Mumbai is set to go up by 3% before May comes though..

compare discounts from different dealers and workout who is the best. Chk out for corporate discounts if applicable.

3. May seem like a silly question, but how do I check the ABS? I mean, how do I make sure that it works properly?

Go on a wet stretch of road and suddenly apply the brakes, you can feel the brake pedal pulsating and pushing back the foot ( the incremental braking helps steering and avoids locking!)

4. Regarding colour, the dealer says that Hyundai does not have the concept of metallic colors. So, if I go in for Passion Red will it fade and lose its charm after a while?

Yes, No metallic colors for RED.I dont think Red color will fade that much. Go for the Red. It looks gud.

5. What would be the approximate cost in converting from the stock tyres to tubeless? And should I get it done from the dealer itself or after market?

10K+ i guess.

Last edited by muni : 11th April 2006 at 18:14.
Old 11th April 2006, 18:19   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidharth_j
hi decced,

Being a Getz user for the past one year, i can say that the ride quality is definitely good, courtesy of the gas shocks.

Provide you wash your car regularly, and polish once a month; there is absolutely no reason why the color should fade. A getz in passion red looks absolutely stunning :-)
Thanks for the feedback.

I gotta agree with you about the Passion Red. Problem is that my Dad wants to go in for a more sober colour. Mom is on my side though.. She absolutely loves the Red.. Let's hope Mom can convince Dad.

P.S. Mom & I are both Ferrari fans.. so it has to be Red..
Old 11th April 2006, 18:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by decced
Mom is on my side though.. She absolutely loves the Red.. Let's hope Mom can convince Dad.
The decision is already made then. Passion red that is!

Quote:
You should be in little desi ferrari then i.e. Palio 1.6 sports. J/K.

Getz is very practical car for family. You made the right choice. If you need more detailed comparison between Swift and Getz, please search for detailed pictorial comparison thread by kbk. It is worth the efforts in searching.

For ABS, brake hard and there should NOT be any wheel locking. The brake pedal should vibrate when you brake hard.
Old 11th April 2006, 18:40   #8
BHPian

@muni: Thanks for the feedback.

As regards VFM, Getz will be approximately Rs. 5.65 lakhs on road in Mumbai after discount. The only features I won't get are Climate control and Airbags as compared to the Swift Zxi (Approx Rs. 5.55 lakhs after discounts).

Airbags is something that's definitely worth having. But am not too sure about how effective they will be.

My experience with Marutis is the lesser the electronics, the better.

That's why we decided the VFM was not too different. I'll agree that on paper the Swift Zxi is great VFM. But in reality.. am not too sure about the final quality...

Thanks for the ABS tip.. Will definitely do that.

Regarding discounts.. I heard that all dealers may offer better discounts in May.. How far is this true??

10k+ for tubeless tyres seems a bit steep.. Can anyone give me an approximate price in Mumbai?

Thanks.
Old 11th April 2006, 18:48   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
The decision is already made then. Passion red that is!

You should be in little desi ferrari then i.e. Palio 1.6 sports. J/K.

.. please search for detailed pictorial comparison thread by kbk. It is worth the efforts in searching.
Let's Hope so...

I would have considered the Palio.. except for fact that this is gonna be a family car and has to be relatively trouble-free. Dunno if Fiat will be able to match up to Hyundai. It's a real pity..

Being a Ferrai fan, I would love to buy a Fiat to show my loyalty.. But I think I gotta be practical too..

I already went through the pictorial comparison thread.. It was truly informative... Helped me make up my mind to a large extent..
Old 11th April 2006, 20:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback.

I gotta agree with you about the Passion Red. Problem is that my Dad wants to go in for a more sober colour. Mom is on my side though.. She absolutely loves the Red.. Let's hope Mom can convince Dad.

If you are a true Ferrari fan, you should consider the cousin of Ferrari i.e Palio. Palio 1.6 is an dream machine, Superior ride comfort, Spacious, High Safety, Good looks, Stability on high speeds etc. And now service from Tata Motors.
Old 11th April 2006, 20:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

Family car? Getz it should be. Hyundai's Red is one helloffa red. Its damn red and I just loev taht color.
Old 11th April 2006, 20:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
10k+ for tubeless tyres seems a bit steep.. Can anyone give me an approximate price in Mumbai?
I think you should be able to squeeze better. A Goodyear GSDII 175/65R14 will cost you 2500/- per tyre.

Try hard and get him down to 4K for exchanging to tubeless. I don't think 10K+ makes any sense for exchange. Get it done from dealer since the moment you take your car out of showroom, your tyre resale drops down. Or, fix up with tyre dealer before you take delivery of your car.
Old 11th April 2006, 21:12   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
Family car? Getz it should be. Hyundai's Red is one helloffa red. Its damn red and I just loev taht color.
Got me hooked the moment I first saw it on the Getz..
Old 11th April 2006, 21:16   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp
If you are a true Ferrari fan, you should consider the cousin of Ferrari i.e Palio. Palio 1.6 is an dream machine, Superior ride comfort, Spacious, High Safety, Good looks, Stability on high speeds etc. And now service from Tata Motors.
I AM a true Ferrari fan (12 years of watching F1 and rooting for Ferrari all the way should prove that!); but I gotta be practical and Fiat in India just does not inspire confidence; Tata or no Tata...
Old 11th April 2006, 21:21   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
I think you should be able to squeeze better. A Goodyear GSDII 175/65R14 will cost you 2500/- per tyre.

Try hard and get him down to 4K for exchanging to tubeless. I don't think 10K+ makes any sense for exchange. Get it done from dealer since the moment you take your car out of showroom, your tyre resale drops down. Or, fix up with tyre dealer before you take delivery of your car.
Thanks for the tip.. I'll give both options a try and see which one yields better results.. I was thinking the same thing.. The minute I leave the showroom, those tyres are gonna depreciate in value real quickly.. Thats why I wanted to know whether the dealer will make a change to tubeless...
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks