Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2006, 23:55   #1
BHPian

Palio GTX - Do small blisters on paint work always indicate underlying rust??

Hello all,
This is a great site and I have discovered it just 2 days back. I must tell you that I am addicted.
I was scouring the internet for more information on the Palio GTX and that is how I stumbled upon this fabulous site and the wonderful forums.

I am considering buying a used GTX (2003) which is seemingly in great condition. I have test driven it and this baby surely rocks.

On very close inspection to my dismay I have noticed some blister formation ... so small.. that they escape detection if seen casually.

My heart tells me to go for this car but this development is undermining my confidence. Although the look and feel of the car is great and it seems well cared for... I do not want to get stuck with expensive bodywork down the line.
Any inputs would be welcome.
Old 14th April 2006, 09:19   #2
BHPian

i have a palio1.6
it does feels exciting even after been thrashed for quite some time.
and the same goes for every other palio1.6!

my suggestion to u is that donot go for that car. look elsewhere. all palio1.6s are good!

those blisters might be an indication of rust beneath the paint.
or worst,
might be an accidental case with a very badly done paint job to hide that mishap!

donot buy that car.
Old 14th April 2006, 11:17   #3
BHPian

Revharder,
Thanks for the input.

The funny thing is that all the door and the bonnet hinges, the bottom of the doors and the area below the rubber trims are all clean.
I believe these are the areas where rust should manifest.

Another thing is that GTXs' are not that freely available in the used car market. Most owners are enthusiasts I guess and do not part with their cars so easily.
But I guess you are right... I will look elsewhere.

Any other pointers that I should look out for while reviewing this particular car?
I believe the FE is quite low. What is the kind of FE that you get?

I am looking for all the qualities that make it such a hot hatch and am not too bothered by the FE.
Old 14th April 2006, 11:30   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight
The funny thing is that all the door and the bonnet hinges, the bottom of the doors and the area below the rubber trims are all clean.
Take it to a good body/paint shop. Better if you know them. They can tell you about the body condition.

If there's no accident mark, then going by your description sounds like an ok deal to me.
Old 14th April 2006, 12:03   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen
Take it to a good body/paint shop. Better if you know them. They can tell you about the body condition.

If there's no accident mark, then going by your description sounds like an ok deal to me.
Thanks Rudra,

Plan to do this early next week.

Any idea what these small bubbles could be due to?
Old 14th April 2006, 12:13   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight
Any idea what these small bubbles could be due to?
1. Surface rust (just started)
2. Trapped moisture from paint surfacer. This happens if painting (except company paint) was done during humid/monsoon.
3. Moisture trapped inside the painted surface. This again, happens when throwing air only (from spray gun) to dry the surface.
Old 14th April 2006, 12:35   #7
BHPian

Other than the surface rust, if it is air entrapment etc; does this have any significance as far as the body condition goes?

Can I consider this vehicle if it is air entrapped between layers of paint.

When I pressed these bubbles... none of them broke out to reveal rust.
I was actually able to spread the bubble laterally within the paint while rubbing .

I seriously hope the paint/body shop person clears it on the rust front.

I really WANT this car!!
Old 14th April 2006, 22:24   #8
BHPian

Please check if the car was affected due to mumbai floods, very important.

Go for the car if not, It took me 3 months to get a nice 1.6 palio in mumbai (I got to see only two palio 1.6 for sale in 3 months and 8 palio 1.2), most of the owner I met was selling it as they were relocating outside India.
And all of them really loved their palio, and used to tell me about their driving experience in mumbai pune expressway in 1.6.

please do not buy if it is from a dealer/ broker, as I had seen a palio s10 with a broker which on close inspection revealed that it was submerged in the mumbai floods. (Almost most of them are crooks)

Cheers... Major
Old 17th April 2006, 07:33   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by major
Please check if the car was affected due to mumbai floods, very important.
This is one area that bothers me. I have inspected it closely and thoroughly and seems that this one is unaffected.

Major, what year is your 1.6 and how much did you pay for it? Any accessories etc. which came along the car?

Any inputs regarding price?

Last edited by GTO : 7th May 2012 at 12:04. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 17th April 2006, 12:07   #10
BHPian

I got my S10 1.6 for 1.8 lakhs , oct 2002 model , 23000 kms.no extra accessories. only factory fitted original equipments.I purchased it 2 months back.

Check the engine bay, if the car was affected by flood, you will see rust mainly in engine bay.Also ask for original papers like RC book, Insurance, again if affected you will know by looking at the condition of the papers, if he has duplicate papers, BEWARE !!

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Major
Old 17th April 2006, 12:41   #11
BHPian

"Also ask for original papers like RC book, Insurance, again if affected you will know by looking at the condition of the papers, if he has duplicate papers, BEWARE !!"

Hmm... This is a good tip.
The papers are original.
I go to the bodyshop either tomorrow or the day after.
Wish me luck guys.
Old 29th May 2006, 01:40   #12
Senior - BHPian

Today I noticed blisters on my Palio D. They are formed on the window frame on the drivers door.

I don't know when they were formed as the car was with my Dad during the last 9 months

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks