Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2006, 10:59   #31
BHPian

here are the latest quotes for different models :

Pune On-road prices :

PALIO 1.2
EL MS : 4.06 ,EL PS : 4.33 , ELX : 4.54 , SPORT : 4.80

PALIO 1.6 SPORT : 5.16

Discount or extra features were offered for old models...which are left with the dealer.for new models,there's no discount....
Old 17th April 2006, 16:56   #32
BHPian

UPDATE :

Today,I called TALERA ford sales guys to checkout if they can give some good deal...(note : atfirst, I had contacted PLANET FORD - the other dealer in Pune who didn't offer any discount).
I told the TALERA FORD guys that the PLANET FORD is not offering any discounts and askd him if he can give a better deal (if not a discount - some additional features apart from the standard package?)...
He offered tubeless tyres,Rear spolier free of cost(which is a part of accessory - doesnt come with standard package)....

ALL BHP experts , Since I am a newbie....I need yr advice in deciding following things if I have to settle for FORD IKON FLAIR...

-Size of the tyres..?which is best/optimum? My yearly running would be around 8000 kms....
I wdnot opt for alloy wheels as my running is low...considering the fact that alloy wheels are reqd when running is high+aesthetic looks..

- There's an option to go for blast pack which includes mud flap,floor mat,dickey mat,autocop,MP3 single CD player...all this comes at an additional cost of 16 K...is it advisable or should I do it from an accessories dealer(from outside)?

-also,whats the rate of interest prevailing for the car loan ?any suggestions? which bank to opt for finance?+ROI?

Need all the advice - do's and don'ts,Please keep yr suggestions flowing....

Last edited by nitinhegde : 17th April 2006 at 17:03.
Old 17th April 2006, 17:29   #33
Senior - BHPian

Did any one see Fiats advert today which was pulling down other cars. The comparo was between a Palio 1.6, Getz and Swift and it says "For all new kids on the block, here are some tables to learn"

0 - 60 Palio 1.6 - 4.5secs, Swift - 5.2s, Getz - 5.6s and the add is quite good its on page 7 of todays BT and has a italian flag a horse with 100bhp written below it. Seems Fiat on the move

nithinhegde - dont get carried out by dealers giving freebies, the Flair is not match for the Palio as far as Handling, Power, Pickup, Performance, Stability and FTD is concerned. Fiat is too giving offeres check them out to.

Last edited by BUSA : 17th April 2006 at 17:34.
Old 17th April 2006, 17:42   #34
BHPian

Agreed !

Thanks BUSA for the update....
Can you tell me which page has this ad ?m in pune..i guess,the Mumbai TOI has this ad...

I agree with all yr points...
After much deliberation,I won't be opting for a PALIO 1.6

2 main reasons :
-This is my first car..I won't be using all the power now.I do agree that the 1.6 engine is quite useful in city conditions for overtaking ,crusing etc.
-I need a mileage of atleast 12+ in city conditions as well :(
I fully agree that PALIO 1.6 is a stunner...

Now, my choice wd be either a PALIO 1.2 or a FORD IKON FLAIR 1.3...
Your suggestions are most welcome......
Old 17th April 2006, 17:50   #35
BHPian

any suggestions ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinhegde
UPDATE :

Today,I called TALERA ford sales guys to checkout if they can give some good deal...(note : atfirst, I had contacted PLANET FORD - the other dealer in Pune who didn't offer any discount).
I told the TALERA FORD guys that the PLANET FORD is not offering any discounts and askd him if he can give a better deal (if not a discount - some additional features apart from the standard package?)...
He offered tubeless tyres,Rear spolier free of cost(which is a part of accessory - doesnt come with standard package)....

ALL BHP experts , Since I am a newbie....I need yr advice in deciding following things if I have to settle for FORD IKON FLAIR...

-Size of the tyres..?which is best/optimum? My yearly running would be around 8000 kms....
I wdnot opt for alloy wheels as my running is low...considering the fact that alloy wheels are reqd when running is high+aesthetic looks..

- There's an option to go for blast pack which includes mud flap,floor mat,dickey mat,autocop,MP3 single CD player...all this comes at an additional cost of 16 K...is it advisable or should I do it from an accessories dealer(from outside)?

-also,whats the rate of interest prevailing for the car loan ?any suggestions? which bank to opt for finance?+ROI?

Can anyone please answer my questions posed here?
Old 17th April 2006, 17:56   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA
0 - 60 Palio 1.6 - 4.5secs, Swift - 5.2s, Getz - 5.6s and the add is quite good its on page 7 of todays BT and has a italian flag a horse with 100bhp written below it.
is it the one you were referring to?

Old 17th April 2006, 18:16   #37
BHPian

hello

Team - BHpians...

Can anyone please answer my queries ? post no.32,35...
Old 17th April 2006, 19:09   #38
BHPian

Quote:
i guess the stock tyre size is 175/70R13.
i am not sure about that.
but you can easily upsize to +1 tyre i.e., if it is 175 then you can go for 185. but donot go for anything higher than that.
Bridgestone Donuts or Potenzas are perfect for such city-ish travel.

no need to go for alloys. they are purely for one's own taste, and won't give you anything much in terms of performance or economy etc.

Quote:
you can refer this page for Ford Company's Accessories list and their MRPs.
http://www.india.ford.com/servlet/Co...Page&c=DFYPage

some weeks back i saw an advt in newpaper or some magazine in which they stated that Ford is providing some 3-upgrade packs to their customers. they consists of co. branded accessories.

and in that, i was confused to opt for any one!
you better have a look in open market to get prices of similar accessories and their warranty.
but one thing is sure, that co. accessories are quite better in quality and they do gives genuine warranty over that but those products are priced much higher. and the open market accessories are much reasonable in price area but they are also not upto the mark in warranty area. in quality both type of products are almost at par!

Quote:
sorry can't help you much on that.

Quote:
do take a test ride of both (rather all!) palio 1.2 (and 1.6!) and Ikon 1.3 alongwith your family and in similar conditions where you shall be driving mostly, i.e. either in city or highway or both.

P.S.:

i have that 1.6 with me and i am happy with it coz i can extract the optimum usage of those 100 horses.
(pls donot mind!) a first time car buyer CANNOT utilise that immense power. ikon 1.3 is much more than enough for such sober drivers.

also the service part of fiat is quite strange too.

even after being a patron of one good service station you can't be sure of getting a good service to you car when you are away, while it is getting serviced! you have to be there at the service station and keep an eye on service guys!

i guess such a botheration will be too much for a first time car buyer.
i am used to such abuses (!) and just wants to suggest you a thing.

rest is upto your need, liking and desires!

Last edited by revharder : 17th April 2006 at 19:14.
Old 17th April 2006, 19:25   #39
BHPian

Thanks

Thanks a Lot revharder...Have a great evening....
few more queries :

Is it advisable to opt for Total maintenance plan of 2 or 3 years? what all things are covered under this and how is it beneficial?
it is strange that for for 2 years its 7100 and for 3 years its 28,750 !
Does it mean that FORD is sure that the vehicle will need lot of maintenance afterv 3 - 4 years ?
Also,there's an extended warranty option (after 3 years)...is it useful ?

Last edited by nitinhegde : 17th April 2006 at 19:30.
Old 17th April 2006, 19:27   #40
BHPian

my pleasure .
Old 18th April 2006, 02:47   #41
BHPian

Hey Nitin,do test drive all three cars before taking the final decision.If you manage to do that,you would in all probabilities opt for the Palio 1.6 over the other two.I have said this before and I say it again,if you have a budget to own a palio 1.6,just go for it.Dont think about anything else.
And frankly,I really dont understand this concept of a first time car buyer not being able to handle a 100 bhp car.Revharder,your second explanation regarding service hassles with FIAT may be true.But if he buys a FIAT,he might as well buy the 1.6.I recently bought a 1.6 S10 after selling my 3 year old 1.2 (euro3/NV).So,I really know what its like to live with both.even if Nitin does not "utilise" the 100 bhps of the 1.6,he can still use the 14kgm of torque in the city.The 1.2 feels a lot more heavier than it actually is,thanks to the euro 3 norms (NV) which have really made it sluggish,especially while moving off the line.(with the a/c running).If it was a pre-NV (OV) 1.2,then I would completely agree that he would'nt require a 1.6.I just hope that FIAT launches the 1.2 16valve FIRE engine with 82 hp with the new Palio.
The 1.6 feels pretty nimble in traffic because its got loads of torque.And a first time buyer needs a car that feels nimble and easy to drive.I remember this one time in my 1.2 where I had to overtake a truck on the highway at 90 km/h.So I stuck it in 3rd gear and pressed the accelerator hoping to overtake pretty quickly.Unfortunately,it turned to be an embarassing moment since all I could hear was my engine's noise and the overtaking progress was so slow that the truck driver was putting his hand out asking to overtake and could see him smiling at me.Fortunately it was a four lane highway.Now I cant imagine a new driver managing a situation like this on a 2 lane highway.
So at the end of the day-Palio 1.2 - great car with a good engine which has been robbed of its engine power by FIAT India Ltd,good VFM,just about tolerable in city,good highway cruiser but bad at overtaking,best ride quality in class if you buy the el ps or elx (not sport),my fe- 8.5 to 9 kmpl in mumbai and 15 to 17 on highways
Palio 1.6 - best in class,fantastic VFM,good city car,fantastic highway car,suspension tuned for handling and not ride comfort but still great at both,my mileage- 8-9 kmpl in mumbai and 13 -14 on highways.
Ford Ikon- I recently drove a 1.6 and it was fantastic,good dynamics-infact as good as palio 1.6 on that count,good suspension,better front visiblity than palio but pathetic rear visibilty due to high boot,but the car felt kinda raw and unsophisticated,slightly cramped shoulder room.The Ikon guy was a friend and after taking a drive in my car he actually said that he should've considered buying Palio.
Anyways,this is getting long now.Nitin,you're a first time buyer now,but you should be a pretty confident driver in maybe a year's time?Then you can "utilise" the 100 bhp power of the 1.6.Think about it.And hey,it seems that due to the fact that the Palio 1.6 engine is the only one in class to have a fully built up imported italian engine,it may give less maintainance than the 1.2 which is built locally.Good luck in your car hunt

Last edited by roms : 18th April 2006 at 02:53.
Old 18th April 2006, 05:11   #42
Senior - BHPian

While Ikon lies somewhere in FE and power between the palio 1.2 and 1.6

I would say forget that "being newbie" and other statements.

would u not buy a ferrari if u get a chance and money if u are a first time driver?

You dont buy a car every year do you? Buy 1.6 now and keep the reserve of power for future use.

and fiat is certainly more robustly built which a newbie will benefit from on safety viewpoint.

I didnt find fiat to be as easy to drive as ikon but then take it as a learning lesson. you learn to drive a fiat you can drive a ford. To think the otherway round is tough.

go for the gtx. listen to your heart.

btw whats d difference between the old fiat palio and tata's palio?

I think the older one makes a better deal as he is getting discounts plus loads of freebies.
Old 21st April 2006, 20:44   #43
BHPian

Dear All,

I booked a FORD IKON FLAIR(Black)...few days back...Thanks all for yr suggestions...the babe wd be delivered by next week...

ALL PALIO Lovers(including me),please excuse me, I wanted to go for PALIO but somehow had to go with FORD IKON as I needed a bigger boot(I realized it later)..My parents wd be visiting me often and I would be needing a bit more space...so,It had to be FORD IKON...Cheeers !

Best wishes,
-Nitin

Last edited by nitinhegde : 21st April 2006 at 20:54.
Old 21st April 2006, 20:55   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Dear All,

I booked a FORD IKON FLAIR(Black)...few days back...Thanks all for yr suggestions...the babe wd be delivered by next week...

ALL PALIO Lovers(including me),please excuse me, I wanted to go for PALIO but somehow had to go with FORD IKON as I needed a bigger boot(I realized it later)..My parents wd be visiting me often and I would be need ing a bit more space...so,It had to be FORD IKON...Cheeers !

Best wishes,
-Nitin

great choice buddy, congrats on the purchase. Don't forget to put up pics though!

Cheers
Old 21st April 2006, 21:29   #45
BHPian

Here's something more about the deal I struck in Pune....may be it will help other guys from Pune who are aspiring to book a FORD IKON..

- I first tried to bargain hard with the Planet ford guys...they did not offer much discount.
-Then ,I had a word with the TALERA ford guys.....they were smart enough to turn the deal in their favour...one of my friend told me that Talera's give a better deal...
...Here's what I got

On-road is 5.05 with the Blast pack (minus the music system)...
Note : the dealer always tries to push you for the company fitted Kenwood music system..when i looked at it,I decided its not worth it...
here's what the blast pack has : Mud flaps,boot mat,floor mat,autocop,Kenwood MP3 player...this all costs 16k...

Without the blast pack,the on-road price after all cash discounts is approx 5 L exact...
I told him to remove the music system..and give me the other stuffs...intially,he refused and said that it cannot be done and I must opt for the blast pack...then later when i told him to cut the crap,he told me that BLACK colour comes default with the blast pack and I must pay for it ! I told him,I had enough of this...and threatened him whether he needs the deal or not,then finally after speaking to his sales head,he gave me the other stuff(blast pack minus the music system)..evrything at a cost of 5K.....
When I was thinking of going for the company fitted music system,previously,he had said that the music system costs 11 K , then later when I askd him to remove it , he said it only costs 7K for them !!!!!!
I really got big on him and told him to stop this nonsense and give me the entire stuff for 5K(without music systm)..he had to finally agree...phewww...

apart from the cash discounts,here are the freeb'ies I bargained for

- Rear Spoiler (worth 6.5K)
- Tubeless Goodyear Tyres 175/80 R13 i think (difference =worth 2.5K) - are they good ?
- One year free warranty (1 + 1)

So,On-road for me is 5.05 + the fore-mentioned freeb'ies...is it a good deal ?
FORD IKON does not have a rear defogger- any idea guys,what can be done ?

Thanks,
Nitin

Last edited by nitinhegde : 21st April 2006 at 21:33.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks