Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2012, 19:04   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Dealer offering Display car or Car in the yard - What to choose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Just because a vehicle has temp registration does not mean it will be sold off using fraudulent means, it is wrong on our part to be so biased against dealers, no reputed dealer worth his salt will palm off a Demo car as a regular new car, they have a lot more to lose in terms of reputation, for the amount they make on each car sold, it certainly is not viable for them to risk loss of reputation for a few thousand bucks.
It is right that cars labeled 'demo' are given on a discount, after much time it has been test driven by potential customers. But there is a small scam (yes, I would like to call it a scam) running in between. Many dealers give away fresh vehicles with a TC (Trade Certificate) plate to be test driven! These vehicles are not meant to be test driven as these might be assigned to a buyer already. On one occasion I have been given a test drive on a car that has come straight from the transporting truck, with no registration badges. Yes, this was when I had not given much thought about the prospective owner of the car, not to be repeated again.

Selling off old cars to unsuspecting customers is altogether another issue which shows that the dealer don't care much about reputation. A big dealer from Trivandrum is already famous for these episodes, thanks to our forum.
Old 12th July 2012, 19:40   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just because a vehicle has temp registration does not mean it will be sold off using fraudulent means, it is wrong on our part to be so biased against dealers, no reputed dealer worth his salt will palm off a Demo car as a regular new car, they have a lot more to lose in terms of reputation, for the amount they make on each car sold, it certainly is not viable for them to risk loss of reputation for a few thousand bucks.
I have never seen a 'proper' demo car (with all the stickers) with a temp registration. When I asked the sales executive about the Temp registration of a car given to me for test drive, he was bold enough to admit that it was not really a test drive car.
Old 12th July 2012, 19:57   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On one occasion I have been given a test drive on a car that has come straight from the transporting truck, with no registration badges. Yes, this was when I had not given much thought about the prospective owner of the car, not to be repeated again.
Quote:
Selling off old cars to unsuspecting customers is altogether another issue which shows that the dealer don't care much about reputation. A big dealer from Trivandrum is already famous for these episodes, thanks to our forum.
Quote:
I have never seen a 'proper' demo car (with all the stickers) with a temp registration. When I asked the sales executive about the Temp registration of a car given to me for test drive, he was bold enough to admit that it was not really a test drive car.
This is indeed surprising, because here in Bangalore, one can always see Demo cars with different decals in almost all dealerships, of course there are always black sheep among dealerships too, I think when it comes to giving brand new cars for TDs, the sales guys are to blame, they may cut corners in order to get a sale, nevertheless, it is a wrong practice.
Old 12th July 2012, 20:14   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
A temp registration is done in the name of a customer who is to own the car. So giving test drives on temp registration is atrocious, unless the temp registered owner is the dealer himself (a car planned to be a demo vehicle, which is to have original plates soon, in the name of the dealer, which does not make much sense).

There is a difference between the temp registration and the TC plates. The TC plates are for cars that are in transit. It might be already allocated (but not registered) to a customer. Or the dealer might want to pile stock forecasting a heavy demand. Most dealers tend to give such cars too for a TD.

Quote:
I think when it comes to giving brand new cars for TDs, the sales guys are to blame, they may cut corners in order to get a sale, nevertheless, it is a wrong practice.
Nothing happens without the blessings from the top management or they are turning a blind eye towards such sales guys. Agree that it is a wrong practice, but I would like the govt. to ensure that all vehicles are manufactured with non-tamper-able and non-reset-able odometers.

Last edited by thoma : 12th July 2012 at 20:23.
thoma is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2012, 13:59   #20
Senior - BHPian

If the car is indeed a "display" car and not a demo car, then there is no problem stressing over it. Just do a regular PDI and go for it, the reason being many showrooms get newer display cars time and again to show new colours or trims, etc. and these cars are passed onto customers without any worries or niggles. Many a times the buyers are not informed whether the display vehicle is indeed the car which is going to be in their driveway. At least the dealer mentioned it to you. But yes if the car in the yard is only a month old then there is no need to go for the display one if everything else (colour and trim) is the same.
Old 13th July 2012, 14:13   #21
Senior - BHPian

Not an easy choice! In the given scenario, i'd pick the car in the yard if it doesn't have too many kms on the odo. You have to do a thorough PDI and check for rust etc if the car has been sitting in the yard for too long.

If you're happy with the car after the PDI its a better pick than the display car which would've been driven rashly to the showroom and had hundreds of customers sit in it.
Old 13th July 2012, 14:17   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have personally asked the MD of a large dealership about the reason behind temp registration, his reason was that it will help the person who buys the car as his name will be the first owner in the RC
Why the temp regn in the first place ? You do not need a Temp Regn to park your car in the yard or in the showroom. Temp Regn is required only when you drive the car around. No dealer takes a temp regn to drive the car from the yard to the showroom for delivery. By that time the papers would have already been filed with the RTO and a "REGISTERED" sticker is placed on the number plate.
esteem_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2012, 14:42   #23
Senior - BHPian

Re: Display car or Car in the yard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM - B View Post
If both PDIs come out fine. Check the age via VIN.
The older car should get you a higher discount - 5% for every 6 months or so.

Where did you get that idea from?No dealer will be offering more discounts unless and until it is an older year manufactured car.

In my understanding normally cars roll out on the FIFO basis.There wont be any issue if you go with the display car also unless there is any scratch or dent.Even in a yard car the same issues can prop up.
Old 13th July 2012, 14:48   #24
BHPian

There is an aging on all inventory and depreciation is claimed and the book value of the product is lowered.

This depreciation would start at least at 6 month period if not earlier.

I am sure there are other colleagues who can elaborate furhter on this.
Old 13th July 2012, 15:28   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why the temp regn in the first place ? You do not need a Temp Regn to park your car in the yard or in the showroom. Temp Regn is required only when you drive the car around. No dealer takes a temp regn to drive the car from the yard to the showroom for delivery. By that time the papers would have already been filed with the RTO and a "REGISTERED" sticker is placed on the number plate.
The temp registration was for the Demo cars and not cars which would be sold in the regular way.
Old 13th July 2012, 15:52   #26
Senior - BHPian

Since its a punto,make sure it has a H on the odo,that will make sure that odo has not been tampered with.
Old 13th July 2012, 17:31   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM - B View Post
There is an aging on all inventory and depreciation is claimed and the book value of the product is lowered.

This depreciation would start at least at 6 month period if not earlier.

I am sure there are other colleagues who can elaborate furhter on this.

There is an ageing of all inventory-true,From where do you claim the depreciation?Which book value of the product is lowered.Dear PM you are talking of lowering the value of products which are owned and the depreciation is claimed due to the usage of the same.
For clarity-Does the insurance value of a car( new and 6 months old )change.No,because the face value of it is the same.I have been with dealers for 13 yrs now.In my all these years of experience i am hearing this for the first time.
Old 13th July 2012, 17:33   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Since its a punto,make sure it has a H on the odo,that will make sure that odo has not been tampered with.
Yes, will check that. But I have heard that even the H can be tampered to make it static.
Old 13th July 2012, 18:07   #29
BHPian

Dear ram_hyundai

The dealer claims the depreciation on aging inventory.

I am not associated with any dealership.

This was shared by a very senior person and i was able to avail said benefit ~3 years ago. This might not be visible to all.
Old 13th July 2012, 19:09   #30
A M
BHPian

Sorry for going OT guys. But whats with the H thing?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks