Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2006, 17:29   #1

Swift / Getz / Aveo U-va / Xeta / Palio 1.2

Hi there,

I am looking at changing over my good old 97 model Esteem VX to a smaller and compact hatch back.

To be frank I am still really happy with my fully feature packed Esteem with all genuine leather upholstery, alloy wheels and awsome power packed music system. But this evergrowing Bangalore traffic, narrow parking lots and the same old looks of my esteem car is making me look out for another car.

Requirements :

1) I am basicaly a city rider, averaging 20 - 25 kms per day. But I am out of bangalore most of the weekends to my farm house 200 kms from Bangalore. So I average 800 kms per month.

2) Out of bangalore the car is jam packed with wife, 2 kids(<4 yrs), mom and Dad. So boot space also counts. (Can I get a Roof Top Luggage Carrier installed in any of these cars.

3) Budget : 5 Lakhs (plus or minus 50K)

4) Maintanance / Service : Of course low maintance cost and the best service.

5) The vehical has to be tough and safe as I am kinda of rough driver

6) And ofcourse it should be feature packed, like power windows, power steering, remote locking, etc,.

Suggestions

Thanks

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Post Edited. Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies.

We advice you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Samurai : 17th April 2006 at 17:51.
Old 17th April 2006, 23:04   #2
BHPian

Xeta should fit your requirements to a t.

Regarding ease of maintanence..i am not too sure abt the Xeta... but the Getz and Swift will be cheap to maintain..but from these two, the swift loses out on interior space, and the Getz loses out on VFM.

Top end version of Xeta should cost abt 3.6-3.8n lakhs on road..pune..

So the Xeta it is; as a total package.
Old 18th April 2006, 05:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

first and foremost suggestion:- look at palio 1.6

from your choice tata indica xeta makes sense.
Old 18th April 2006, 11:36   #4
BHPian

beware of driving the palio or a xeta in jam-packed traffic - it will give you more headaches squeezing into narrow places and taking u-turns than say a swift or a getz

though these are the only options which are both tough-built and give you loads of space

and palio loses out on the service front as well, compared to a xeta - nevermind the alliance and all, tata workshops will always give preference to their own vehicles

also, why not take a look at the indica turbo - it will give you everything that xeta has + superb FE.
Old 18th April 2006, 13:50   #5

sidharth_j, devarshi84 and goldie_malhotra thanks for your suggestion.

What about the riding comfort with XETA? I was told that the gear shifts is not so smooth with Xeta.

And with regard to Indica Turbo I was suggested not to go for a diesel because its a bit too noisy and that considering my usage per month its not that much of a gain.

Meanwhile any body has got any clue on Aveo U-VA hatch back? I was told there are launching it by JUNE 2006. In fact I am also looking forward the same.
Old 18th April 2006, 13:57   #6
BHPian

inhellwemeet,
now that you already have a car, just hold on for few more months, you will have the choices of Aveo U-VA, Chevy-spark(matiz), may be Honda-Jazz, new palio.
amongst the current lot with 6 people family avoid swift. the back seat very cramped.

PS : now ur kids r < 4 yrs, you will run out space in a hatchback with 2 or 3 year. think about it.

city traffic is a problem agreed, but if 6 need to travel ur options will be omni/versa.
Old 18th April 2006, 14:07   #7
Team-BHP Support

About the Aveo, since its not even launched its hard to say how good it is w.r.t costs, servicing etc.,
From the other options, Swift Getz and Xeta suit you. But since you can spend 5L Getz is ideal for you. Swift is good but lacks boot space compared to getz and is more crampled.
So go for the Getz. It can handle bad roads, hyundai parts are dirt cheap and service is quite good.
Old 18th April 2006, 14:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hi, with 4 adults & 3 kids, hatchback will be bit cramped. I suggest you to consider Palio 1.6 Adventure. Though it will cost 6 lacs +. It is a great family car esp for long rides + all the features of Palio 1.6.
Old 18th April 2006, 15:46   #9
BANNED

inhellwemeet, none of these choices will suit your needs completely. They will all meet your needs as a daily driver but come Friday evening or Saturday morning, they will all fall woefully short.

An estate might do the trick in which case I suggest you take a look at the Marina (slightly over your budget in diesel form).

You have not indicated whether your wife or Mom or Dad can drive. If one of them can (just for the weekend), I suggest you keep the Esteem and go in for the Xeta (absolute VFM and can take lots of abuse). This way, your daily driver needs are met and you get to take 2 cars to the farmhouse each weekend. Assuming you have parking space for 2 cars!
Old 18th April 2006, 17:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

I was discussing with a friend last evening & was told that he defferred the purchase of Xeta as it has got problem some problem with the MPFI chip. This was told by his relative who is working with a leading Tata dealer in Chennai.

When I checked the same through my known sources, they rejected the allegation. Anyone heard of similar issues.d
Old 18th April 2006, 17:48   #11
BHPian

buy a XETA as it fulfills all your requirements and for your other choice
Swift-expensive
GETZ-more expensive not a gr8 VFM
Aveo -no clue abt it
palio 1.2 - the service might be a problem but a strong competitor
Xeta -saves your 1.8lakh rupees , good FE , u will get all your features and all your requirement , large space+legspace ,can't say abt the maintenance costs but surely will be lesser than others due to native manufacturer ,and a large service network , torque better than the swift and santro , 70bhp power more than enough for a city car

nothing much left to explain but XETA dude!!
Old 18th April 2006, 21:04   #12
BHPian

Waiting for some more months may be better as we will see Aveo U-VA, Chevy-spark(matiz), Honda-Jazz, Mitsubishi Hatch and who knows Skoda may also come in with its hatch (I saw it somewhere) All manufacturers are looking for the upcoming Indian market of small and hatch segments. C and C++ segment is also quite hot. With a 5.5 budget it's better to strech just a bit more and go in for a big car all-together since you already had an Esteem earlier.
Old 20th April 2006, 12:47   #13

Hey Thanks all you guys your suggestion are really help full. I just few minites back called up a Chevy dealer in bangalore. They told me that Aveo U-va will be releasing in June. With regard to specs he was telling me that there was indication that chevy may come with 1.2 ltr engine for Aveo U-VA and price may be much less when compare to Swift and Getz...

Looks like it will be worth waiting for... what do ya guys say?

So for now Xeta looks like a better choice for me. Any Xeta user around who can share some of their experience with Xeta

Last edited by inhellwemeet : 20th April 2006 at 12:50.
Old 21st April 2006, 11:57   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp
Hi, with 4 adults & 3 kids, hatchback will be bit cramped. I suggest you to consider Palio 1.6 Adventure. Though it will cost 6 lacs +. It is a great family car esp for long rides + all the features of Palio 1.6.
Palio Sport Adventure 1.6 costs 6.5 lakhs in bangalore If I could afford that then I can as well go for a Aveo 1.4. Its out of my budjet thanks any way
Old 21st April 2006, 11:59   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech
Waiting for some more months may be better as we will see Aveo U-VA, Chevy-spark(matiz), Honda-Jazz, Mitsubishi Hatch and who knows Skoda may also come in with its hatch (I saw it somewhere) All manufacturers are looking for the upcoming Indian market of small and hatch segments. C and C++ segment is also quite hot. With a 5.5 budget it's better to strech just a bit more and go in for a big car all-together since you already had an Esteem earlier.
Ya.. Skoda was to luanch Fabia but looks like they will take time..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks