Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2006, 23:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

Lifetime dilemma ....

hi all

i ve owned a palio and two maruti 800s before. i need another car. i m totally in a dilemma for this. i thot i ll ask in this forum for some opinions. for simplicity i ve narrowed down to one in each segment.

1. small cars -> indica xeta, indica dlg turbo diesel
2. hatches -> palio 1.2/1.6/1.9, yet to check out chev uva
3. sedans -> petra 1.6/1.9, aveo, fiesta, nhc

4. suvs -> scorpio, tavera

a. for now i m knocking off 1 from my list, ie., no small car. coming to hatches, i just love the palio, but the servicing is becoming a bitter issue even now. the spares are simply unavailable no matter even if TATA has taken up things for FIAT. any ideas when the uva will be launched and what would its FE be? i dont like the getz or the fusion. i prefer diesels considering the mileage as well as cost of fuel.

b. the only reason i m against a sedan is a feeling that it wont be able to cope with the water logging in bangalore when it rains hard. other than that i m pleased with the fiesta, though their maintenance costs and FE bother me. the aveo is good, but as someone has pointed out on this forum, the left knee of mine hits the dash and its really irritating. i have not yet tried the honda city

c. as for suvs or uvs, the tavera is looking good, but i feel there are concerns regarding its comfort part, and is the FE really 12kmpl in the city? i guess the engine isnt so refined either if i am right .... the new scorpio is good, though it has still some body roll and its not the most comfortable for city rides.

so where does that bring me - to a confusion! endless confusion. i ll put a cap on my budget once i get something worthwhile. i cannot though go more than 8 lac at any cost. i m bothered about FE, and comfort and the fact it has to be with less maintenance cost, and tackle the water logging issue (meaning if its slightly tall, good).

could you advise me on what i must be looking at .... ? perhaps even info on new launches can make me wait if its worth it.

help

Srikanth.
Old 18th April 2006, 02:41   #2
BHPian

I would suggest, go for Scorpio - it fits the bill completly
Old 18th April 2006, 05:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

Scorpio CRDE. It is too good. There are some rough sides to the car but no1 has complained yet. I dont think you will too.

Also look at the safari DICOR base model and the petrol safari too if Fe is not a problem.

I found the safari to be the most comfortable Car I have been in as a passenger.
Old 18th April 2006, 05:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik

b. the only reason i m against a sedan is a feeling that it wont be able to cope with the water logging in bangalore when it rains hard. other than that i m pleased with the fiesta,
Srikanth.
Hey Bro.. I have been driving my esteem in bangalore for the last 2 years.. I have had my share of driving sedans in bangalore...As far as water logging is concerned then it depends where you are put up..
In low lying areas or if you stay in an apartment which has basemant parking.. only then you will have problems.
The most vulnerable area in bangalore that i know of is RMV extension after Ramaiah college...

For your budget and what you are looking at like comfort and FE i guess the scorpio is a better vehicle for you if its an SUV... if not then you can try the Accent CRDI... good sedan and good driving comfort...

Take care
Old 18th April 2006, 06:48   #5
BANNED

Guys,

Is AVEO hatchback launched? as he mentions yet to check out Aveo Hatchback.... if you got news on this please share as i am also looking for a new car within 6L budget but options r too less in sedans....

Thanks in advance....

Udit
Old 18th April 2006, 11:25   #6
BHPian

There is a mention about fiesta's water wading ability. I saw it in the brochure. May be you can check it out. But any car driven in water logged areas will result in problem. Why dont you check out Innova you can get one for 8L. But FE will not be that great. But it is known for comfort.
Old 18th April 2006, 12:37   #7
BHPian

I would suggest the tavera for sure, more space than the scorpio and the ride is not that bad of coourse if you can upgrade the innova is the thing that you really want !!
Old 18th April 2006, 13:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thanks!

Thanks for all your replies. Firstly which Innova is available for 8 lac?? I thot it costed on road atleast 10 lac for G4 model. The scorpio must be apparently around 8.5 lacs for DX model which sounds nice. It sure has all this water handling capability on the road, to be honest.

Yes I do know ford fiesta has been through many water tests, and "simulated" crash tests! but whether to work on this fact or the fact that maintenance and FE suffers there is a question. The Safari goes beyond my price bracket. The only thing in scorpio i dont like is the stupid body roll, i had taken a 1000km trip from karnataka to tamilnadu and back. i got so much pain in my neck and back that i really repented that trip. for city drives i guess its ok.

keep the answers rolling. the more the answers, the better informed i am. the uva hatchback hasnt yet rolled out and is expected june by chevrolet. lets see what its gonna be like. I still love FIAT but their A.S.S just isnt straight ever.

Srik
Old 18th April 2006, 14:35   #9
BANNED

Quote:
i ve owned a palio

1. small cars -> indica xeta, indica dlg turbo diesel
2. hatches -> palio 1.2/1.6/1.9, yet to check out chev uva

a. for now i m knocking off 1 from my list, ie., no small car. coming to hatches, i just love the palio
I know I'm way off-topic here but Indica a small car and not a hatch?

Last edited by hrag : 18th April 2006 at 14:37. Reason: Completeness
Old 18th April 2006, 14:41   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for all your replies. Firstly which Innova is available for 8 lac?? I thot it costed on road atleast 10 lac for G4 model. The scorpio must be apparently around 8.5 lacs for DX model which sounds nice. It sure has all this water handling capability on the road, to be honest.

Yes I do know ford fiesta has been through many water tests, and "simulated" crash tests! but whether to work on this fact or the fact that maintenance and FE suffers there is a question. The Safari goes beyond my price bracket. The only thing in scorpio i dont like is the stupid body roll, i had taken a 1000km trip from karnataka to tamilnadu and back. i got so much pain in my neck and back that i really repented that trip. for city drives i guess its ok.

keep the answers rolling. the more the answers, the better informed i am. the uva hatchback hasnt yet rolled out and is expected june by chevrolet. lets see what its gonna be like. I still love FIAT but their A.S.S just isnt straight ever.

Srik
Srik, what are your requirements in the order of priority like FE, Seating comfort, Power, AC effect, city driving(good roads mostly), city driving (bad roads mostly), highway driving etc.
Old 18th April 2006, 17:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

requirements ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatrx
Srik, what are your requirements in the order of priority like FE, Seating comfort, Power, AC effect, city driving(good roads mostly), city driving (bad roads mostly), highway driving etc.

1 FE
2 Seating comfort

3 Power
3 AC
4 City driving, bad roads
Old 18th April 2006, 18:01   #12
BHPian

my suggestion would be to go for NHC.
stop worrying about water logging problems.

although MUVs can wade through water with much ease but they have their own set of problems and you know them!

learn how to wade through waterlogged streets and you might come out of that street even in a Maruti800!

NHC has quite decent power (OHC was better no doubt!) and comfort levels with spaciousness too. AC is also very efficient in Delhi summers.

so my suggestion is that you'd go for NHC or at best Scorpio.
Old 18th April 2006, 18:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

choices?

thanks again for the replies.

if i assume i divide my choices amongst lesser priced cars < 5-6 lac and the ones around 8-9 lac, keeping the backdrop of all the discussions above, what would you recommend for me in both these price ranges.

srik
Old 18th April 2006, 18:47   #14
BHPian

I would also suggest NHC based on your criteria. Within 5-6 lakh... I did not see Swift in your list... why don;t you consider that.

In case you are serious about SUV, Scorpio may be a good diesel choice.

However NHC and Scorpio are very different vehicles... Test drive and you will know what you like.
Old 18th April 2006, 18:57   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
thanks again for the replies.
if i assume i divide my choices amongst lesser priced cars < 5-6 lac and the ones around 8-9 lac, keeping the backdrop of all the discussions above, what would you recommend for me in both these price ranges.
1 FE
2 Seating comfort

3 Power
3 AC
4 City driving, bad roads
What sort of FE would you be ok with ? 11, 12, 13, 14 .. ?
Between 5 - 6 Lakhs ... I won't mention the Baleno since it's not in your list ... but again contradicting my own logic I'd ask you to consider the Ford Fusion .. you may have to stretch your budget a bit.

Between 8 to 9 you would have the NHC with the best FE. However if you can live with relatively lesser FE then it's got to be the Optra 1.6 ...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks