Team-BHP - Chevrolet SPARK or Hyundai EON. EDIT- Spark booked
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Hatchbacks (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/)
-   -   Chevrolet SPARK or Hyundai EON. EDIT- Spark booked (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/125440-chevrolet-spark-hyundai-eon-edit-spark-booked.html)

Chevrolet SPARK or Hyundai EON?

We have decided to buy a new car for my wife very soon (3-4 weeks). The budget is <= 4 lacs at max.

There two options that have in my mind:
1) Hyundai EON Sportz
2) Chevrolet Spark LT

Both cars are around 3.8 es-showroom Pune, which means they would cost about ~4.5 on road. With all the discounts and offers, the OTR price will come down close to 4 lacs in both cases.

Actually, Spark and EON cannot be compared technically, but at the price point, they match neck-to-neck.

Pro's of SPARK:
1) More powerful engine
2) Bigger in dimensions
3) Slightly better built
4) More useful features such as rear wash+wiper, alloys, etc
5) Chevrolet's 3 Years Free maintenance promise :thumbs up

Pro's of EON:
1) Frugal engine
2) Both exteriors and interiors look classy, rich and modern
3) Driver Airbag
4) Bigger boot

So, which one makes most sense out of the two? Are there any other options at this budget?

Other points:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajay_satpute (Post 2880468)
Chevrolet SPARK or Hyundai EON?

We have decided to buy a new car for my wife very soon (3-4 weeks). The budget is <= 4 lacs at max.

There two options that have in my mind:
1) Hyundai EON Sportz
2) Chevrolet Spark LT

Both cars are around 3.8 es-showroom Pune, which means they would cost about ~4.5 on road. With all the discounts and offers, the OTR price will come down close to 4 lacs in both cases.

Actually, Spark and EON cannot be compared technically, but at the price point, they match neck-to-neck.

Pro's of SPARK:
1) More powerful engine
2) Bigger in dimensions
3) Slightly better built
4) More useful features such as rear wash+wiper, alloys, etc
5) Chevrolet's 3 Years Free maintenance promise :thumbs up

Pro's of EON:
1) Frugal engine
2) Both exteriors and interiors look classy, rich and modern
3) Driver Airbag
4) Bigger boot

So, which one makes most sense out of the two? Are there any other options at this budget?

Other points:
  • Please note that all Maruti and Tata vehicles are not considered, purely based on personal choice.
  • Figo base might fit in the budget, but Figo petrol has terrible FE.

I would suggest the Eon purely because it has a more modern design, though the 3 year free mantenance promise is very tempting. (I guess with air suspension, spark should have a better ride too).

Have you considered the Chevrolet Beat?

Quote:

Originally Posted by vasanthn21 (Post 2880474)
I would suggest the Eon purely because it has a more modern design, though the 3 year free mantenance promise is very tempting. (I guess with air suspension, spark should have a better ride too).

Have you considered the Chevrolet Beat?

Thanks Vasanth.

Even though the Beat P might fit into the budget, we will only manage to get the lower variants, which are completely stripped off of the features. So better to get a lower segment fully loaded car than higher segment base model IMO.

My choice would be the Spark LT. It has more space inside and more refined engine of the two. I once test drove the Eon and didn't like the engine response with AC on. Of course the Eon has better boot space but is also narrower as compared to spark which turns into better rear seat.

The three year free maintenance offer on the Chevy also makes it tension free (at least for three years).I have my Spark with me for almost five years now and I can tell you the handling on the highway and cornering abilities are better than any hynudai/ maruti in the same segment.

One more thing, The Spark LT now comes with rear defogger only, wiper has been removed.

I would go for Spark LT. I agree with all the pros that you have given for Spark. It is a better choice over Eon and also over Alto (my personal opinion). The only things that I wish were improved in Spark are steering design and centrally placed console.

Hi I have a Spark LS. The build quality is really good when compared to cars of the same segment. Performance is also good but you can feel a slight dip in acceleration when you switch on the AC. But overall the in-gear acceleration is good and power is always available on tap when you need it.
Handling is good but maybe you'll need to upgrade the tyres. Headlights are really inadequate though and an upgrade is a must.
FE I get is approx 9-10 kmpl in city traffic. On a recent 550 km long drive I got a mileage of 15 on the highway. All figures are with 100% AC and quite some spirited driving.
Talking about A.S.S , you get a 3 year maintenance package and after that you need to pay for the services. My 30000 service bill was Rs 14000. The AC wasn't working at all and it would take ages to cool the cabin. Now its perfect.
My car has done 37000 kms and you can read my review by searching for "pre-worshipped spark" in the search box.
I suggest you get the LT option pack which comes with driver airbag and ABS. I'm not sure whether they still offer this variant so ask your dealer about it. Also, I think they have removed the rear wiper or the defogger in the LT now.
If you have any more questions then do ask!

Cheers.

Slightly over 4.5 you can get the base version of I10 which is better than both the cars here.

I may also look at used I10 Automatic which are selling for less than 5L these days where they have run less than 20K kms.

I say Go for the Spark. I have one, and no major problems so far. Also the interiors are more spacious than any other car in the class.
The EON is newer but was built to a cost and is not sold anywhere else around the globe( tells you about possible neglect of safety aspect).
Also, the LT variant of the Spark now comes without Rear wash wipe and alloys.
(the LTO variant used to have alloys+ABS+Driver Airbag).

Ajay, Go for the Spark. My Cousin in HYD owns it and has given him more than 3 years of trouble free service. It is pretty reliable, easy to park and has decent FE with AC. As for the EON, I did not like the feel of the car as it feels built to a cost.

I have Spark LT - Completed approx 48000 KM in 3 years of ownership. If boot space is important go for Eon.

Issue I faced in Spark:
1) Noise from front suspension when going over rough road - They are not able to give permanent solution to this.

If I were in your position, I would select Spark LT. I somehow do not trust Hyundai quality for these lower segment cars. A quote from someone at a T-Bhp meet "Hyundai sells Chinese quality at Japanese Price". I have always been apprehensive of Hyundai's quality. Compare a 10 year old 1 lac km driven Wagon R to a 10 year old 1 lac km driven Santro. The difference would be visible. Of-course depends on how it has been maintained and driven. But again, a personal view after having seen Hyundai and Maruti cars with friends and family is that Hyundai cars wear really fast once they cross the 7 year mark.

With a difference of around 40000/- you can jump to the Honda Brio 1.2 EMT, which is a far better car in terms of space and engine. Has a unique fresh design which is ahead of the spark which looks dated now. The EON may be better in looks but the puny size of the body and engine (3 pot motor) keeps me uninterested.

So between the spark and EON, I would recommend the spark!

In addition to my previous post.
The Spark looks dated now. Chevrolet might launch a facelifted version in diwali.
Also, If you're not getting the LT(O) variant with airbag and abs then I suggest you increase your budget very slightly over the LT and select from some better and bigger cars like the Beat, Brio, Figo etc.

My Wife has a spark LT and my bro got an Eon Sports+. Comparing between the 2, I would go for the Eon for sure for the more modern and classy interiors.

the only point where I think Spark excelled than the eon was in engine power, Eon does has the needed power, but in sprinted starts from signals/ on high gradient the three pot cylinder of Eon shows its character. Advantage to the small engine in eon is the mileage.

- Eon has loads of placing goodies (in the dash and in front of the gear leaver) and is no comparison to the ones in spark. I think more place for goodies than Swift.
- The boot of Eon is also bigger than Spark (I think Spark has 170 litres only).
- In eon a person sits more upright and I felt it more confortable.
- The beige color of spark is not to my liking
- controls on the other side of the steering (always an issue for me as I rotate cars)

Advantage of Spark LT
- Power available on tap
- four power windows
- Rear demister

Spark is an outdated vehicle. Chevy's 3Yrs promise is good. How long do you intend to keep this car ? If you plan to sell this car after few years, you will loose considerable amount on resale. We are unsure, when the production would be stopped.
Having said that if you plan to retain the car for a longer period and if you are getting a very good deal on the spark, it would be worth it.

More power is required for the highway, but driveability is more important than power, when the car would be driven mostly in the city.

Eon looks very smart and is new, personally I would choose it over a spark.

Did you consider any CNG powered cars from Hyundai ? Honda Brio ?

Keep us posted.