Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2006, 12:42   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Your only other option right now is the Palio D, which has a sluggish engine and is non turbo charged.
TSK, this is the first flame your way
Palio D is not sluggish, may be it is not as powerful as Indica Turbo. It never lets you down and even does not ask you to switch the gear down during highway overtaking.

I am not sure how better is Indica Turbo (I have never driven one) compared to Palio, but the non-TDI Indigo that came with turbo was no match for the Palio. Palio was much powerful.
Old 1st May 2006, 12:50   #17
Team-BHP Support

When Palio D was launched, it was better of the lot which includes the indigo and then indica, but now the competition has moved on.
When buying a new car its not just how good is the car. Image you have a busted fuel pump and none of the workshops have fuel pump. The only thing you can do is buy two bullocks to pull the car.
so when it comes to buying a car its not just how good the car is. I agree Fiat Palio is a better built car than the Tata's and also has better quality, but with the Tata fiat combine bent only on pushing the petrols I doubt the availibility of spares. Thats the biggest problem with buying a Fiat diesel. The issue of power etc., is just secondry.
Old 1st May 2006, 12:55   #18
Senior - BHPian

1. Palio D is not sluggish at all. Its driveability is better than Indica/Indigo. Infact, better performance than Palio 1.2 NV in city conditions.

2. Indica Turbo Problems...
Old 1st May 2006, 12:55   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter
What is wrong with the indica turbo....its fabulous is all i have to say.
Drifter
Your answer lies here my friend

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...tml#post219387
Old 1st May 2006, 13:00   #20
Senior - BHPian

For your needs, I would recommend that you spend about 3.5 L and buy a 2003-4 MPFI esteem Lxi. On the h/w this car gives about 18 - 20 KPL, has ZERO maintenance if serviced regularly and what u spend on fuel, u would save on the initial outlay as well as much lesser service costs. Also u get the legendary esteem reliability, which u will never get with an indica.

Think about it.
Old 1st May 2006, 13:39   #21
Senior - BHPian

@himanshu: if you read my reply in that thread...i never said tatas are all good. Its probably a one-off. All turbo owners i know are a happy lot.

48hrs of constant running without a break...my indica never cracked under the pressure of the indian summer on a drive from bombay to indore. Still not reliable?

Drifter
Old 1st May 2006, 13:42   #22
Senior - BHPian

If I remember right; Himashu had a Indica petrol too.
Old 1st May 2006, 14:17   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
If I remember right; Himashu had a Indica petrol too.

Thats rght my friend. That car, while not exactly a paragon of reliability, has never really let us down. That car is mostly used for my office purposes back in delhi, ferrying people to and from from court. It was an Lsi model, so no electric windows or c/locking. hence lesser chance of bugs. One major problem in htat car is uneven tyre wear and no amount of alignment has been able to set that right. The suspension was worked upon extensively twice as a result of that. Plus there were minor niggles here and there, but nothing spectacular!

But engine wise, that car gave me no issues, i have to admit. i guess that is because it was a petrol, and petrols are generally more reliable than diesels, wiht far lesser maintenance.
Old 1st May 2006, 14:27   #24
BHPian

IMHO indica rules the diesel hatchback league. just put in some extra money in a free flow+KnN+pete's box and u have a wonderful machine 2 u. the drawbacks with fiat are their servicebility and maintenance in which dept TATA will never let u down.
Old 1st May 2006, 14:37   #25
Team-BHP Support

I did a bangalore-nagpur-bangalore trip, within 3 days. total distance around 2400kms. It included a non stop 16 hours run, stopping just for 30 min lunch break. A one of incident is not enough to judge the entire quality.
Old 1st May 2006, 14:38   #26

confused

Thanks guys for the replies . But i see a lot of mixed reactions and thats all the more confusing . After reading the early replies ,i was all set to go for the indica turbo but himanshu's post has made me think again ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami
For your needs, I would recommend that you spend about 3.5 L and buy a 2003-4 MPFI esteem Lxi. On the h/w this car gives about 18 - 20 KPL, has ZERO maintenance if serviced regularly and what u spend on fuel, u would save on the initial outlay as well as much lesser service costs. Also u get the legendary esteem reliability, which u will never get with an indica.

Think about it.
Thanks buddy. But the rising cost of petrol is a big worry for me ,so whenever i think of buying a petrol car ,makes me shiver . Secondly ,i ll be going for the H/P and the used car interest rates are quite high when compared to the new cars .

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
If you can get a factory fitted LPG nothing like it, but one cylinder wont last you more than 300kms. So you can expect to change cylinders every three days.
Buddy ,the one dceite mentioned was the company fitted one . MUL is bringing the wagonr lpg in this june .

Drifter -buddy,i agree that wagon r is smaller inside but if it gives me hassle free maintainance and low running costs and a good reale value(though, as you said the latter is hard to get) then i feel it should be a good car to buy .

Guys pls suggest me what to do ? i am getting all the more confused

Thanks .
Old 1st May 2006, 15:00   #27
Senior - BHPian

Tanishq could you give your requirements as in what are you expecting from your new car....might be able to help you out better.

Drifter
Old 1st May 2006, 16:07   #28
Team-BHP Support

An LPG WagonR could be 'the' perfect thing to own. It will run on LPG, will be cheap to run, have company fitted kit and hence reliable. Except one queering pitch. You will have to run it only as a city car. If you decide to make an intra-city run you are doomed. The range on a tankful won't be more than 300kms or so. Could be even less because unlike the retrofitted kits this one will try to gel in with the rest of the car without ugly protruding cylinder and all. Consequently to hide these the tank will be much smaller. Now if you take it on the highway or even to the smaller towns you may not find a AutoLPG outlet. So you will have to run on petrol. That brings you back to square one. Think about these before you decide.
Old 1st May 2006, 20:10   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
An LPG WagonR could be 'the' perfect thing to own. It will run on LPG, will be cheap to run, have company fitted kit and hence reliable. Except one queering pitch. You will have to run it only as a city car. If you decide to make an intra-city run you are doomed. The range on a tankful won't be more than 300kms or so. Could be even less because unlike the retrofitted kits this one will try to gel in with the rest of the car without ugly protruding cylinder and all. Consequently to hide these the tank will be much smaller. Now if you take it on the highway or even to the smaller towns you may not find a AutoLPG outlet. So you will have to run on petrol. That brings you back to square one. Think about these before you decide.
Thanks zappo. Buddy,i 'll be taking the car to the highways ,there could be some odd days(twice a month) where i may travel 300kms in a day and that does worry me though .. but mostly i 'll drive it within the city/ncr ,so do you think that Fuel cost and FE wise it 'll be cheaper to run than the indica diesel ?It may be cheaper to maintain but is LPG cheaper than the diesel(cos i read somewhere that the one used in the automobiles are more expensive and different than the one in the homes) and will i get more FE than the indica diesel turbo ?

drifter -buddy,my requirements are :

Good FE(around 14-15kmpl)
Cheaper to maintain/service ..
diesel/lpg/cng or any other fuel which costs way less than the petrol
safety
reliability
easy to drive within city and highways too
good front seat comfort(rear seats are not of much importance) .
good resale value .

Overall ,i would like to buy a car that is very low on my pocket and reliable .

Thanks guys and i am looking forward to take the decision in a day or two .

Thanks .
Old 1st May 2006, 22:36   #30
Senior - BHPian

Tanishq as per your requirements nothing comes close to the indica turbo.

Good FE - Yes
Cheaper to maintain - yes
Diesel - yes
Safety - yes (personal experience, being heavy does pay)
Easy to drive - yes (but you have to get used to not being able to see the bonnet)
Seat Comfort - yes (Nothing but the palio comes close)
Good Resale - yes (Diesel indicas hold good value and a turbo shouldnt dissappoint)
Reliablility - Never had any issues.

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 1st May 2006 at 22:37.

Most Viewed