Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2012, 22:06   #1

1.5 year old Alto K10 with 2,000 kms OR new?

Hi guys,

This is my first post and I'm a 'super-lurker'. It hasn't been the case where I haven't already seen posts about the car in mind. To give you some background, I have driven an Alto and an 800, the latter for the most. I currently own a Maruti 800 AC BSII, 2003 Model that has run 95k. It is a troublesome free car and runs well with close to nothing expenses when it comes to maintenance or insurance (chose Third Party since second year running now).

I'm a sales and marketing professional that uses the car to get around to the most manicly crazied to places called 'work' and just after or prior to peak times and in my line of work, I have to visit other offices more than my own which happen to be mostly traffic dense.

An upgrade to K10 from an 800 as old as I drive is luxury, having said that - I want to underline a few points.

1/ I'm a Sales Consultant for several companies (1 in India, 2 abroad) that finds ways out of contributing to the exchequer in terms of taxes - borrowing is hard, while the money is hard earned.
2/ I'm happy with a petrol car, even at 150 per liter if it ever gets there. I prefer a petrol engine vs a diesel for my use. I'd go out of town twice a year maybe and would choose to drive only if 300 kms one way and if the employer is not paying for flights.
3/ I can't spend more on a car for the sake of luxury or comfort, it is purely for conveyance - I'm paid Rs. 10 a kilometer for getting from point A to B and that is everything I need.
4/ I'm super stingy on acquisitions that lose value over time, including cars. Not that I'd skip breakfast at a hotel, just saying. I easily differentiate between what is value and what is not based on how I use whatever I acquire.

I was at a meeting in a tech park close to Kalyani Motors, Bangalore and I chanced in and saw a 2011 March Alto that has run 2000 km, VXI, with Leather seats that are appealing and a Sony HU, did not bother about the speakers as it only had radio on when testing. They offered 60k on my car and the car mentioned was quoted at 3,40,000 and was negotiated down by 5k. The car is accident free and I could even smell the new car feel, there is nothing wrong with it. The guy was from out of state and chose to upgrade without using the car much.

We are essentially speaking about 3,35,000 for an Alto K10n VXI 2011-Mar with Accessories. I'd love to hear if I should buy new or go ahead and save that 1 lakh or so by buying used. Any feedback on new ones and Diwali deals that could sweeten things are useful.

Thanks in anticipation.
Old 7th November 2012, 10:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: 1.5 year old Alto K10 with 2,000 kms OR new?

Quote:
Originally Posted by P0kerDem0n View Post
I was at a meeting in a tech park close to Kalyani Motors, Bangalore and I chanced in and saw a 2011 March Alto that has run 2000 km, VXI, with Leather seats that are appealing and a Sony HU, did not bother about the speakers as it only had radio on when testing. They offered 60k on my car and the car mentioned was quoted at 3,40,000 and was negotiated down by 5k. The car is accident free and I could even smell the new car feel, there is nothing wrong with it. The guy was from out of state and chose to upgrade without using the car much.

We are essentially speaking about 3,35,000 for an Alto K10n VXI 2011-Mar with Accessories. I'd love to hear if I should buy new or go ahead and save that 1 lakh or so by buying used. Any feedback on new ones and Diwali deals that could sweeten things are useful.

Thanks in anticipation.
Is it a True Value car or a dealer car? If its the former, then I guess there is nothing wrong in buying this car instead of a new K10. Also, take the VIN number and check the manufacturing date if you can.

I think MSIL is giving a sizable discount on the brand new K10. Inquire and check whether the savings on the used K10 is making sense.

Edit: Maybe, this thread can be moved to http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ck-thread.html

Last edited by deetjohn : 7th November 2012 at 10:03. Reason: Adding text.
Old 7th November 2012, 10:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

1.5 years old Alto with just 2000 Kms on the odometer, sounds too good to be true. I have many questions

Why has the car run just 2000 Kms in 1.5 years (That is not even 4 kms a day)?
Why is the owner selling a new car (1.5 years with 2k is new in my opinion)?

Once you get satisfactory answers to these questions you may consider buying this one. BTW do not forget to check if somehow the odometer has been tampered with.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2012, 10:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

Like mentioned by others, the new Alto K10 is itself being offered with massive discounts, and with the festive season in full swing, you might get an even better deal with some nifty bargaining. In light of this, going for a second hand for almost 3.5 lakhs may not make sense, but then you have to work out the numbers carefully.

Also, do check the service and maintenance history of the car closely before you decide either ways.
Old 7th November 2012, 15:59   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: 1.5 year old Alto K10 with 2,000 kms OR new?

Quote:
They offered 60k on my car and the car mentioned was quoted at 3,40,000
Has the seller lost his marbles? Here's the ex-showroom price of the Alto K10.

1.5 year old Alto K10 with 2,000 kms OR new?-alto.jpg

Add tax & insurance, deduct the discounts and it clearly makes sense to buy new only. Also keep in mind that interest rates on used car loans are higher than that for new cars.

Pre-owned only makes sense when the price difference (from new) is substantial. Suggest you look out for well-maintained Alto K10s around the low-2 lakh figure.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2012, 16:40   #6
BHPian

hahahaha I am surprised - 1.5 yr old car at a price of the new one. Dude you should go for the brand new as the difference between the old and the new car is not so great. Ideally the same alto should be available at 2.75 to 3 lakhs then its a good buy. Anything about 3 is killing the purpose of buying Old, I would then rather buy the brand new car.
Old 7th November 2012, 16:45   #7
BHPian

In this case investing in new makes sense since

1. You will be the first owner - depreciation lesser than second hand as this is Maruti

2. The on-road price will be max 50K higher than what you will pay for used car. so you paying 12% more.

3. New car loan at 12% VS used at 17% - Thats huge.

4. Accident free is good, how would you decide on Engine and any other issues which might have forced the owner to park it and owner is just getting reed of it now.

5. Mental satisfaction - slightest of the issue and you will sacrifice your night sleep thinking you just lost 3.3L to save 50K

6. Colour - May not matter, however you still have choice

7. Warranty - Is it transferable in Maruti? even if yes, still you have already lost 1.5 yrs. Doesn't make sense.

8. Seeing your profession, you need reliable new car to reach your client than spend time at Maruti service center solving issues.

Do you need more reasons now to stop thinking about the used one
Old 7th November 2012, 16:46   #8
BHPian

Quote:
The guy was from out of state and chose to upgrade without using the car much..
The guy is from out of state? Do you mean, the vehicle is not KA registered? Have you considered the cost of re-registering the vehicle?

If the vehicle is KA registered, I did not understand why you are mentioning this here!
Old 7th November 2012, 17:14   #9
Senior - BHPian

I think the verdict is clear. Go for the new one as it makes more sense.
The used one has nothing to offer at that price. It is old, it is expensive and for all you know it might be a lemon!
Old 7th November 2012, 21:31   #10

I appreciate all your feedback. I met the guys again, here's some additional information -

1/ The previous owner purchased the car new from Kalyani Motors and exchanged this and got a Wagon R. This was his second car, he owned a company leased New Honda City for regular use.
2/ The leather seats and other accessories would add up to about 40k - so on road for new I'm estimating around 4.3 Lakhs after discounts
3/ The car is Karnataka Registered

I'm visiting Sagar Automobiles tomorrow and will keep all posted. Looks like I will make a decision by Friday latest.
Old 7th November 2012, 22:32   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I appreciate all your feedback. I met the guys again, here's some additional information -

1/ The previous owner purchased the car new from Kalyani Motors and exchanged this and got a Wagon R. This was his second car, he owned a company leased New Honda City for regular use.
2/ The leather seats and other accessories would add up to about 40k - so on road for new I'm estimating around 4.3 Lakhs after discounts

I'm visiting Sagar Automobiles tomorrow and will keep all posted. Looks like I will make a decision by Friday latest.
Will you be paying for the car by cash or through a loan. If a loan, please calculate the different interest rates between new and used car rates. That can make a difference.

The price being asked is a bit high, particularly as depreciation has hit petrol vehicles harder of late.

Check with another dealer what the best price you would get for a new car with the same accessories and then you can evaluate the actual price difference. If however, the additional accessories (leather seats for example) are just a bonus and not a necessity for you that makes the used car more expensive.

The car having run only 2000 km is a bit of a concern. It means the car has essentially been idle for at least one year of the year and a half or so since it was bought. It would be very useful to check the tyres carefully as they can deteriorate with age and lack of use.

If this is a true value dealership, then there is some peace of mind as they would probably sell the car with a one year warranty. If it is a regular dealer, it really is a case of caveat emptor (let the buyer beware). Also, how much warranty is left on the car.
Old 7th November 2012, 22:37   #12

This is a True Value Dealership, 1 year warranty which includes 3 free services from the date of purchase.
Old 7th November 2012, 22:38   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P0kerDem0n

Hi. Just for your information in chennai there are a couple of used Alto K10 I have come across in the market.

2012 with 1700kms on ODO red color Lxi for 3.10L

2011 with 9000kms on ODO gold color Vxi for 2.90L

If this is of any help to you.
zwift1819 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2012, 22:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

Lat Sunday I saw couple of Alto K10s at a true value joint at Ernakulam and came to know that there are more K10s in the used car market than there are buyers. So bargain with your boots on and don't succumb to their strategies.Do you really need K10 or chanced on to this 1.5 yr 2K wonder? If not, for your point A to B, I suggest that you go for the new Alto 800 which is more frugal and costs less.

Last edited by rajeev k : 7th November 2012 at 22:55.
Old 8th November 2012, 01:04   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Do you really need K10 or chanced on to this 1.5 yr 2K wonder?
You nailed it - I was impressed with the 1000 cc engine. I think the ever active oldies on Team BHP and everyone else nailed it on this forum as to what would be a smart decision - a new car. I like the K10.

The new car on road by Carwale is 4,06,000 whilst most dealers are in the 4,20,000+ range on their respective websites (Bangalore). I recognize I'd have to invest in accessories, the leather seats might not be really something I need today - I can get by with whatever freebies get thrown in. The 5-7% saving on finance is also helpful. My rates will be highest and not as advertised as I'm the high risk borrower for any bank - I don't file returns that show exorbitant taxes other brethren see deducted at source, at the same time I do nothing illegal and bring forex to India all the same! :P

Haggling at Sagar for new and going to Kalyani with it and asking if they can match - that's the plan. As a sales guy myself, I know how bad it is to 'create need' and not get paid off, I'd give Kalyani that opportunity. The credit on decision is mine and the driver Team BHP.

Most Viewed