Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2006, 01:35   #1
BHPian

santo or alto (CNG)?

Hi, I'm a 26-yr-old Delhiite in the market for a new car.

I've narrowed it down to Alto LX and the base Santro (XK non-ac) model, both of which cost around the same (Rs 2.64 lakh ex-showroom).

I'll mostly use the car in the city.

And since my office is 25 km from my home, I'll also get a CNG kit installed to save on fuel costs.

Which of the two would be the better choice???
Old 10th May 2006, 17:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

If u have to get a CNG kit installed then santro would be a better choice since alto in current form is already underpowered, will be more so with CNG.
Besides why r u going for the santro non ac and power steering model. A car without AC in india is worse than a 2 wheeler.
Old 10th May 2006, 18:25   #3
Team-BHP Support

I think you are better off buying a good used car and get a kit fitted. Any modification to a new car will immediately render it off warranty.

Also, I know that CNG is popular in Delhi but do not you get AutoLPG there? In such a case I would say go for AutoLPG. Its a simpler modification compared to CNG, causes lesser power loss and also is simpler to procure. CNG is not available everywhere in India (LPG is).

And do not even think of buying a non-AC car. During summers you will rue the day you opted for a non-AC car. In fact yesterday's TOI had a cartoon where the people inside a non-AC car are getting baked while fumes are evaporating from underneath the bonnet and the driver gives a sheepish look to his co-passengers and says "roll up the windows. Get you shirt drenched in sweat. Then I will switch on the fan (blower). It feels like an AC car". Jokes aside the point is very well conveyed, I must say.

Last edited by Zappo : 10th May 2006 at 18:26.
Old 10th May 2006, 22:33   #4
BHPian

naru80,
you are a delhi-ite and still doesnot knows the importance of an AC in a car?
i just didn't understood that?

my suggestion to you is to either go for a new AC car, PS or non-PS; or go for some old AC car and then convert it to CNG.
and do opt for authorised gas kits which obviously costs a bit more but won't blow you and your family up!
also take into consideration the economics of reaching 'break-even' with that extra cost of CNG kit!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks