Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2006, 19:50   #1
BHPian

Buying Palio - Need specific guidance on key questions from users/experts

Hi friends,

I am actively considering purchasing Palio by the end of this month. I need your valued inputs/responses on the following points to help me make the final decision on model, dealer, price and time.

MODEL

1. What is the difference between fuel efficiency of 1.2 NV and 1.6 Sport? Is it less than 2kmpl or more?

2. Is 1.2 NV too sluggish? Would it cope up with overtaking slow moving traffic on a two-way highway? Would it be too poor compared to 1.6 Sport on this? This is an important safety point rather than speed-craze.

3. Should one wait for September launch of the face-lifted Palio? Would it not be better to avail the higher discounts on the current model? Is any great new feature/ modification expected in the new version which would make the wait (& the lower discount) worth it?

DEALER

4. Which is the best dealer (in pre and after sales service) in Mumbai/Thane? I stay at Thane, but can buy from any Mumbai dealer if particularly good. How was your experience with various Mumbai dealers? Any particular remarks on Shaman and Anuroop?

5. There is only Fortune Auto (which is a Tata dealer) in Thane. Would it be risky in any way (like less dealer interest, low servicing know-how etc) to opt for a Tata dealer? Has anybody got Palio serviced/repaired at a Tata service center and if so, how was your experience?

6. What are the max discounts one can extract on 1.2 and 1.6 from the dealers?

7. What has been the experience in obtaining spares especially in Mumbai? What has been the max. waiting period for repairs that you have experienced with Fiat vehicles, particularly Palio

PETRA

8.Is there a Petra Petrol 1.6? Would that be a better option than Sports? Is it as good? If the boot comes for an additional 20K or so, I can go for Petra. I do not want a diesel. Would the boot affect the handling? I see the boot more as a safety against rear-ending than as space for luggage (which the hatchback has enough of). Is that meaningful or just illusion

ACCESSORIES & FEATURES

9. Which original accessories should one buy from the dealer and which to buy from the market? Any warranty issues?

10. Is there any model/variant at all across Palio/Petra/Adventure which has ABS and airbagS?

11. Is Teflon coating and underbody coating necessary? Is not the Palio paint finish good enough? I would be driving mainly in Mumbai, Thane and nearby regions.

FIAT INDIA

12. Does anybody have insights into the future of Fiat's India operations (not a layman's view, but insider's view). Is the Tata alliance expected to turn it around?

OTHER

13. Somebody mentioned the Fiat Kurla plant was under flood last year (it has to be given the location). Would the flooded vehicles then in the plant be still in the sales pipeline? How to avoid getting stuck with one of those? Even if one insists on a 2006 model, is there a way to confirm that the vehicle was not on the assembly line on July 2005 and moved to excise godown only in 2006?

Waiting for your responses. Thanks in advance

Regards
Sachin Chavan
Old 12th May 2006, 19:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinchavan
8.Is there a Petra Petrol 1.6? Would that be a better option than Sports? Is it as good? If the boot comes for an additional 20K or so, I can go for Petra. I do not want a diesel. Would the boot affect the handling? I see the boot more as a safety against rear-ending than as space for luggage (which the hatchback has enough of). Is that meaningful or just illusion
I do not think you'll get additional boot for 20K extra. It should be more than that unless you are getting huge discounts. But there is Petrol Petra 1.6 with same 100 PS engine. Boot assists overall handling of the car. If you need family car, go for boot. If you don't, Palio is fine.
Old 13th May 2006, 10:44   #3
BHPian

Thanks RX

Thanks RX.

Can I have more views from you and others on the other points as well?

Wondering if it is the weekend factor that is keeping the usally active team-bhp forum from responding? I shall wait.

Sachin
Old 13th May 2006, 11:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinchavan
Hi friends,

I am actively considering purchasing Palio by the end of this month. I need your valued inputs/responses on the following points to help me make the final decision on model, dealer, price and time.

MODEL

1. What is the difference between fuel efficiency of 1.2 NV and 1.6 Sport? Is it less than 2kmpl or more?

2. Is 1.2 NV too sluggish? Would it cope up with overtaking slow moving traffic on a two-way highway? Would it be too poor compared to 1.6 Sport on this? This is an important safety point rather than speed-craze.

3. Should one wait for September launch of the face-lifted Palio? Would it not be better to avail the higher discounts on the current model? Is any great new feature/ modification expected in the new version which would make the wait (& the lower discount) worth it?

DEALER

4. Which is the best dealer (in pre and after sales service) in Mumbai/Thane? I stay at Thane, but can buy from any Mumbai dealer if particularly good. How was your experience with various Mumbai dealers? Any particular remarks on Shaman and Anuroop?

5. There is only Fortune Auto (which is a Tata dealer) in Thane. Would it be risky in any way (like less dealer interest, low servicing know-how etc) to opt for a Tata dealer? Has anybody got Palio serviced/repaired at a Tata service center and if so, how was your experience?

6. What are the max discounts one can extract on 1.2 and 1.6 from the dealers?

7. What has been the experience in obtaining spares especially in Mumbai? What has been the max. waiting period for repairs that you have experienced with Fiat vehicles, particularly Palio

PETRA

ACCESSORIES & FEATURES

9. Which original accessories should one buy from the dealer and which to buy from the market? Any warranty issues?

10. Is there any model/variant at all across Palio/Petra/Adventure which has ABS and airbagS?

11. Is Teflon coating and underbody coating necessary? Is not the Palio paint finish good enough? I would be driving mainly in Mumbai, Thane and nearby regions.

FIAT INDIA

12. Does anybody have insights into the future of Fiat's India operations (not a layman's view, but insider's view). Is the Tata alliance expected to turn it around?

OTHER

13. Somebody mentioned the Fiat Kurla plant was under flood last year (it has to be given the location). Would the flooded vehicles then in the plant be still in the sales pipeline? How to avoid getting stuck with one of those? Even if one insists on a 2006 model, is there a way to confirm that the vehicle was not on the assembly line on July 2005 and moved to excise godown only in 2006?

Waiting for your responses. Thanks in advance

Regards
Sachin Chavan
1) Fuel Efficiency:- from what I have heard Palio 1.2NV stretches to 12-13 kmpl to a litre while 1.6 is more like 9-10.

2) 1.2 while feeling sluggish is not really underpowered. Its just the weight that is making the car feel so. Another reason I have heard is the tweaks in the engine for FE. Overtaking while not as easy as 1.6 is not a hassle at all. It wont satisfy your craze but from the viewpoint of safety you are stading safe and clear.

3) In this world of fast advancing technology one doesnt really need to wait ever. When you will be out buying the new facelifted palio the Grande Punto would be waiting to be launched within 6 months time. Would you wait again?

Regarding the deals the current Fiat only dealers are already providing huge discounts and offers on the old stock if that is what you are looking for.

The new palio is the same engine and body with new look. the interiors will be 2 generations ahead hopefully.

4) Regarding the best dealer some1 from Mumbai/Thane can be of better help here.

5) Same as 4.

6) Different people have got variety of offer around. But mostly best deals are with the Fiat only dealers( Not fiat-tata dealers) who are trying to clear out the stock of new cars.

7) While The overall impression has been bad the Tata-Fiat delaership stuff has helped. By how much is tough to say at this point of time.

8) 1.6 is availabe too. BUt I wouldnt recommend it. While you will be paying more price than palio 1.6 the resale will end up being lesser. On top of that petra is heavier than the already heavy palio. And done worry about the safety and handling in palio. they are one of the best out in the market.

9) Depends on the dealer, your preferences and budget.

10) This topic is pretty debatable and confusing. It is better that you ask this to the dealer straight away. But I guess it wont be a problem getting a customer ordered palio with abs and airbags.

11) Its not a necessity but yes, teflon coating helps.

12) Looking at the way Tata-Fiat alliance is setup, Fiat is here to stay. They are helping Tata get its leg in Europe for which Tata will help fiat out.

13) Every car has a badge stamped to it with the date it came out of the factory lines. I am not sure how genuine this is but it will help you to know the story you are looking for.

Overall many people on this forums drive a fiat. While 90% want to own a palio 1.6 as their second car, The demand doesnt really convert into sales due to

1 The myth that Fiat palio 1.6 gives 5-6 kmpl. Its utter rubbish
2 The FIAT *** network. I guess its considerably been taken care of by tata.
3. niggling problems in the otherwise sturdy car that you can easily live with.
4. Not the best car to drive for Stout drivers and females with poor allround visibility.

But it still is a great car. Decide your priorities before selecting on Estate/Sedan or hatch.
Old 13th May 2006, 12:16   #5
BHPian

Thanks Devarshi.

Thanks Devarshi84

[quote=devarshi84]1) Fuel Efficiency:- from what I have heard Palio 1.2NV stretches to 12-13 kmpl to a litre while 1.6 is more like 9-10.

Could be a material difference in the age of ever increasing fuel prices.

6) Different people have got variety of offer around. But mostly best deals are with the Fiat only dealers( Not fiat-tata dealers) who are trying to clear out the stock of new cars.

So, the discounts are not on the new stocks? Is there some catch here? Can one be sure that Tata dealers are selling only the new stock?

10) This topic is pretty debatable and confusing. It is better that you ask this to the dealer straight away. But I guess it wont be a problem getting a customer ordered palio with abs and airbags.

Has anybody got customer ordered Palio with ABS and airbag from Fiat India? Any experiences please share.

13) Every car has a badge stamped to it with the date it came out of the factory lines. I am not sure how genuine this is but it will help you to know the story you are looking for.

Even I doubt how conclusive this is.

4. Not the best car to drive for Stout drivers and females with poor allround visibility.

This is an entirely new point. I have almost rejected Swift for the poor visibility. Do you think Palio is worse?

Sachin
Old 13th May 2006, 13:11   #6
BHPian

Palio/Petra comes with under body coating and with warranty ( I guess its for 7 years) no other car gives such warrantly. Well, FIAT never advertise such good things.

Teflon coating is nothing but wax polishing. If it named as teflon they will charge you Rs 5K . If you wax polish it yourself it will cost you Rs 500. But dealers will hell bent to give teflon costing which is utter waste.

Actually it is impossible to give teflon coat for any car.
Why? To give teflon coat the metal has to be heated to more than 100 degree celcius (actually its more than that, since I don't know the exact figure I am coating it less).

Palio NV is sufficiently powered when compared to TATA Indica Deisel ( non-turbo) etc etc. But for speed monster the power is not enough. If you love speed then go for Palio 1.6. But for average use Palio 1.2 is more than enough.

I own a 2002 model Palio 1.2. I am very satisfied with it. So far no problem. City average is 10. Palio NV will give you around 11 kmpl in city. In hihgways you can expect 16 to 18 kmpl if you drive less than 100 kmph.

Last edited by prkothan : 13th May 2006 at 13:15.
Old 16th May 2006, 10:59   #7
BHPian

Need more views/opinions

Come on Team BHP, I am banking on your enthusiasm in helping a newbie especially when it comes to a Fiat car. CAn I have more views from you all?

Sachin
Old 16th May 2006, 11:40   #8
BHPian

Sachin,There has been innumerous discussions/threads/posts on FIAT cars....search for it and you will find all yr answers on this forum.....Mod's I am doing yr job
Old 16th May 2006, 12:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

OK. I am just out of a longish trip over the weekend with over 700 km of drive on virtually all types of roads on my Palio 1.2 NV. So, I guess I can make a few comments on the ride, handling and power.

I was able to do around 135 on the B'lore-Hassan strip for a short duration. The car was absolutely stable and there was no wobbling at all. There was no "about to take off" feeling. I could have gone on a little more, but considering that I had my wife, my 9 month old angel and my dad in the car, I just backed off. The car could easily cruise b'ween 100-120 on this road without any problems. The handling is pretty crisp. The steering is a delight to use, with a lot of feedback. At no point of time is it vague.

Yes. Overtaking is a little bit of an issue with the vehicle. I guess this should be more due to the gear ratios rather than the max power itself. During long distance driving, I find the 4th gear absoultely useless. I try to make most of the revs in 3rd and get on to 5th and stay there. Even when I downshift, I usually do it from 5th to 3rd. In a nutshell, NV appears underpowered. You need to plan your overtakings. But, it is a fantastic cruiser.

Regarding the ride, I had the oppurtunity to take this vehicle on all kinds of surfaces. B'lore-Hassan road is a test for straight line stability and Palio does commendably there. The sweepers on this road are wide enough to take your vehicle without undue breaking. I had the oppurtunity to drive this vehicle on ghat roads, starting from Chickamagalur to Dattratreya Peetha and again from Chickamagalur to Aladur on Sringeri road and also from Aldur to a resort. This is an interior route, with broken tarmac and windy roads. The car rode and handled well there. It did not loose poise in those broken surfaces. After around 8 km of broken tarmac, I had to take my car on mud road for a km. This is very steep climb and the whole of 1 km had to be done in the 1st gear itself. This is more like a jeep trail with just a little mud on two sides and grass in b'ween. The car did well here too. So, ride is a big plus on Palio 1.2.

Now to the breaking, when on Hassan-B'lore route, I had to break hard on one ocassion when I saw an auto enter the road suddenly. I had to bring the car down from 120 to 30 and the car did this without any drama. It maintained a straight line and my wife and daughter who were in back seat did not even feel a thing.

In a nutshell, the car rides well and handles decently. Yes, there is a bit of body roll, but nothing that cant be controlled. Again, it is a fact that NV is sluggish, especially on highways. For the cities, the performance is fine, though not astounding.

This is my take on Palio 1.2 NV. I have not driven the 1.6 and have no comments about that.
Old 16th May 2006, 12:15   #10
BHPian

Nice desc/review of PALIO 1.2 Deepak, can you give some FE figures ?.
Old 16th May 2006, 12:18   #11
Senior - BHPian

In city, I get b'ween 10 and 12, depending on whether it is summer or winter and how much I use the AC. I have even got around 13 once.
On the highways, I usually get >15. I have managed 18 once.
Old 16th May 2006, 12:42   #12
BHPian

Thanks Deepak. It is a very clear review on 1.2

Do you need to do a lot of downshifting in city traffic?

Sachin
Old 16th May 2006, 12:54   #13
Senior - BHPian

You dont need to downshift that often in city driving conditions. The car is fine for city driving conditions, but on the highways, I would have liked more grunt.
Old 16th May 2006, 13:25   #14
BHPian

I was considering buying PALIO NV 1.2 ELX, a month or so ago,..but came to know about New Palio being launched in Sept.
Also, the AVEO-UVA comming in June/July..

I am ver much inclined towards buying PALIO, but not being able to make my mind firmly...,

Any updates on the New Palio launch, specs, pics ???

Regards,
Hemant
Old 16th May 2006, 14:15   #15
Senior - BHPian

There is a talk about new Palio. Some members have seen it being tested in Mumbai also. Again, the spy photos taken by one of team-bhp members has found its way into ACI too. It is speculated that new Palio would find its way to India sometime during September-October. I guess this will just be a cosmetic face-lift (both exterior and interior to an extent). I do not see any changes in the engine options nor do I see any changes to the suspension setup. The only other option that the Palio might likely get would be the much talked about 1.3 litre Multijet diesel engine. But I do not see this happening this year; maybe the first quarter of next year.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks