Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2013, 22:29   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bored of new Ford Figo - Keep it or Sell It?

Sharing a personal experience, the first time I visited a Maruti dealership to test drive the Ritz, I was sure just by looking at the car that this wasn't what I was looking for as I absolutely hated its rear. A test drive and certain other factors and the car was home but I wasn't still convinced about the car.

Solution: personalisation!!! Adding rims and wider tyres, a nice punchy sub-woofer, sprucing up the interiors, arm-rest for comfort and several small add ons has increased my emotional quotient with the car to such an extent that I cannot find a suitable replacement for it even 2 segments higher (my requirements are different than most though). It was after the small modifications of the car that I began to appreciate the practicality and the value it offers to me and now I love the fact that I didn't buy any other car 3 years ago.

Although the mileage and performance may not be the strengths of the Figo, but remember that it is a hatch and in a metro like Bangalore (I assume) having a small, easy to maneuver/ park hatchback is a wise choice, not to forget the space, and its brilliant road manners are second to none in its segment.

So keeping all the points about the finances in mind (made by all the members here) ask him to gift his car with small add-ons (whatever his pocket permits) and build a strong, healthy relationship with his Figo and extend its service life for a few more years.

Last edited by S2!!! : 23rd April 2013 at 22:31.
S2!!! is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2013, 23:22   #32
BHPian

I used to think that something was wrong with my Petrol Figo at first. But once I got to know the car, this is a wonderful machine!

Just change gear above 2500 rpm(this is a petrol car). He will love the car. Others inside the car may think you are racing (the sweet reeving sound + exhaust).

If economy is an issue, then this is not the car! This gives me decent mileage, but not segment leading.

15kmpl - windy roads + high way - No fifth gear
10kmpl - City - bumper kissing bumper
17kmpl - Full high way - Mostly 60+

All figures with AC on. 3 passengers most of the time. I used to get very low mileage(8kmpl in city!) when I was driving light footed. This car hates low rpm!
PS:- If he is selling please let me know. I am planning to buy another white one

Last edited by Sedate : 23rd April 2013 at 23:26.
Old 23rd April 2013, 23:55   #33
Senior - BHPian

Amit, if the boring factor is constantly playing on your mind, it could be distracting your driving out on the road; and it is not good for you or the other road users.

My humble opinion will be to sell it off for a loss and move on to a lower segment - an Alto is a good bet but you will loose on space and a bit of handling and the segment of course. Otherwise, you have to sweat it out to find a good used car in the same segment for a lower price. And if FE is not an issue, re-map could also be looked into; but I guess finance (in modifying and lowering the FE) is.

Either way, in all the cases, you should realize that a compromise needed to be made and be ready to train your mind that way -
1) live with the car and completely forget (-the compromise) the bore till you are financially capable of replacing with the one you really like
2) modify the car and loose a bit more money (-the compromise)
3) you do not loose much money going for a new car in a lower segment, but the benefits of the higher segment (-the compromise) is lost
4) again, you do not loose much money going for a used car, but take the pain (-the compromise) in finding a good second-hand car and live with a used (-the compromise) car.
Old 24th April 2013, 00:30   #34
BHPian

Hello Shiv, truly feel sad for your friend. I would strongly urge your friend to keep the car. Figo is not all a bad car. It is a beautifully engineered car. It has the best in class of AC to keep him cool even during peak of summer. If its the power delivery under question then it too has a simple solution. Please spend some time and see what this Bhpian has done to his Figo:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ford-figo.html
Old 24th April 2013, 00:55   #35
A M
BHPian

As stated by everyone already, selling the car now would be a financial blunder.

First thing we all would want to know is what aspect of the car your friend can't stand. What is he actually bored of?

Let me take all the aspects one by one.

Looks-- Much has been said already. Bigger tyres, nice alloys, body kits.. options galore.

Power-- If FFEs and filters and basic stage 1 mods can make him happy, all good.

If he's not bothered about financial loss and hell-bent on changing the car, I would say, discuss with the family and use the car within the family and sell an older vehicle in the stable. Since his brother convinced him go for the Figo, he might be interested in swapping his car with Amit.

If thats not an option and he still doesn't mind getting a hit of 2-2.5 lakhs in depreciation and loan foreclosure etc, I suggest keep the car or gift it to the new bride and use the 2.5 lakhs for a used car which he likes (a G13B swift or an esteem or may be an OHC will fall in the budget). Kill two birds with one stone.
Old 24th April 2013, 02:12   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv_1984 View Post
I am just using this thread to find enough reasons for him to get convinced.
Best thing will be to tell his brother to convince him that the car is great! As the person is impressionable, better to use that edge for the greater good. No other answer will be good enough for a statement like 'bored of the car'. People can't even save marriages once it comes to boredom, how can one hope to save a car?!
Old 24th April 2013, 02:53   #37
Senior - BHPian

In my opinion, there is nothing much to do except to live with it, especially since he does not have the vitamin M to back him up. Please advice him to stay put and make good use of the car until he manages to upgrade laterally.

On the other hand, it would have been better if his opinion was to move to a motorcycle because the car is not for him. I would have backed him up in this case but not for the reasons that he is giving right now.

Last edited by govigov : 24th April 2013 at 02:55.
Old 24th April 2013, 09:19   #38
BHPian

This is ridiculous. Please advice your friend to hold on for an year or two before even thinking of selling the Figo. Eventhough its not a looker, its such a good vehicle.

AFAIK, good deals for petrol hatch is very rare at the moment. Moreover, 100% loan taken will hit him hard financially. If I am not wrong I remember you mentioning that if he sells the vehicle now he wont be getting a new one for next year or two. In that case why sell this now and get hit financially? Added to all this, can you be sure that he wont get bored with his new car? Does he have dream car?

The balance tilts towards retaining the car when these factors are taken into account. Better to hold on to it. Just my 2 cents.
Old 24th April 2013, 10:40   #39
BHPian

This is a very good question. Keep or sell is always a ballgame of finance. I really wonder why one would buy a car out of family pressure? Actually, if you are driving the car and you like it, always check with your passengers. If they like it too, then thats how you choose a car. If either of them has a problem, you are supposed to choose another model or a different manufacturer's model. That is how most people buy their ride. I bought my car with my heart and secondly with my mind once i managed to set everything in order right from the A.S.S to purchase of the vehicle. I would advise the same to anyone who is going in for a new car. If you are the only driver, its your choice entirely. If not, ask for a opinion. If it still doesn't satisfy anyone, time to wait for a new model.

Do advise your friend since this trend is not a very healthy one for one's bank balance. Every car is an investment and if you don't get the returns for that, that investment is a failure. last but not the least, ask him to get a ride he loves. He has taken the first big hit in depreciation(the 1st year one) without enjoying the vehicle even for the entire year! My 2 cents would be to ask the guy to keep it atleast for the next 2 years.

Bowing down to family pressure, doing something one doesn't like = typical Indian marriage as someone had already posted.

Last edited by Arch-Angel : 24th April 2013 at 10:44.
Old 24th April 2013, 10:41   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

At the end of the day, its your friends call as to whether his "boredom" is worth taking the hit.
In my opinion, getting bored of a hatch should be justified by your capability to just junk it and go for the next "exciting" thing. I know people who do this when they have just a one-car garage, but they do it as they can afford it.

Off note though, i find it surprising that he called the figo boring, as for this price, its the most enjoyable to drive. But let me hazard a guess. Your friend is a fan of bling? all singing/dancing cars? whats his take on the OTT lancers (no offence meant here. Just that they are preferred bakras for the bling modifiers) from karol bagh "modifiers" that come with 3 million stickers, 20 subwoofers, and 576 LEDs on the underbody?
Might help in taking a call on what he could do to be un-bored of the figo.
Old 24th April 2013, 11:40   #41
Senior - BHPian

No point in keeping a car if you don't like it. Sell it man. Get a Ferrari. YOLO

Alright jokes apart, does your friend like smaller hatchbacks? You can ask your friend to sell off the Figo and get a cheaper car - one to his liking this time around. Obviously, he will take a hit of atleast 1L if not more, but with the money that's left he can buy an Eon, Alto, i10, Brio or something similar. OR, he can look around for used cars that then fit his budget!
Old 24th April 2013, 12:08   #42
Senior - BHPian

I would consider this as more of case in which shopper's guilt has kicked in. It is a common practice among youth to buy cars just to impress spouse and relatives with out realizing the utility aspects and cost of running and maintaining the car. Most of these guys would have just started the career and continue to use the two wheeler for their daily runs. They will soon realize the folly when they have to part with hefty EMIs every month with out getting adequate value out of the car. One of my colleague is spending 75% of his salary as EMI on a SUV which he bought at his wife's insistence?
poloman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2013, 13:41   #43

Keep the car.
Ask your friend to swallow the urges for a change at least for another couple of years unless the guy has hit a lottery or his year end bonus will make others jealous.
Moneywise and headwise, this is a disaster to sell the car, one can argue till the cows come home on heartwise and that itchy feeling for a change!
Old 24th April 2013, 15:01   #44
BHPian

More than the decision on selling or keeping the car, I think your friend seriously needs to carefully evaluate how he manages his finances in general. Buying a few lakhs worth car on loan and wanting to sell it off in 9 months purely for "boredom" sounds dangerously frivolous to me.
All these, if he is a regular salaried tax paying middle class joe. If he is floating in moolah, then I advise him to sell the Figo this instant and book a Ferrari or Lambo or something like that!
Old 24th April 2013, 15:44   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
More than the decision on selling or keeping the car, I think your friend seriously needs to carefully evaluate how he manages his finances in general. Buying a few lakhs worth car on loan and wanting to sell it off in 9 months purely for "boredom" sounds dangerously frivolous to me.
All these, if he is a regular salaried tax paying middle class joe. If he is floating in moolah, then I advise him to sell the Figo this instant and book a Ferrari or Lambo or something like that!
@Deep Blue, I think you nailed it, its not so much about the car, but the thinking itself.

@Shiv - It may also make sense for your friend to cool down and actually think if he NEEDS a car (any car for that matter). If not, he can sell it, avoid EMIs and probably buy a good 2 wheeler. He will anyway suffer financial loss, but atleast it can be reduced.

Most Viewed