Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2013, 18:14   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
No point in keeping a car if you don't like it. Sell it man. Get a Ferrari. YOLO

Alright jokes apart, does your friend like smaller hatchbacks? You can ask your friend to sell off the Figo and get a cheaper car - one to his liking this time around. Obviously, he will take a hit of atleast 1L if not more, but with the money that's left he can buy an Eon, Alto, i10, Brio or something similar. OR, he can look around for used cars that then fit his budget!
Bro; Alto, Eon is fine, but do you think after selling his car he can get a Brio or i10 and that too, some money still left? Impossible !!

AFAIK, Figo is cheaper than Brio mid variant, let live i10 top end.

Okay... Here is an update.

I met my friend yesterday and showed him all the responses here, among which most of them are negative. Meanwhile,he said he visited lathangi ford yesterday to get his car analysed. I am not sure how much they quoted but it was a whooping 1.75lacs depreciation is what he confirmed.

Now coming back to the responses here, to convince him that he should hold back his decision and keep using this car along with what other bhpians have told, i have finally convinced him to give himself another 6 months and spend some bucks to get better rubber, a good ICE and some decent art leather seats.

Ultimately, i can feel that he will sell his car but may be not now and its not my job to keep convincing him the other way everytime, but as a friend I feel sad that he will do something that is rarely thought off.

Will keep pouring in updates here.

Thanks Folks.

Last edited by Eddy : 25th April 2013 at 00:15. Reason: Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of posting back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread. Thanks.
Old 24th April 2013, 18:39   #47
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bored of new Ford Figo - Keep it or Sell It?

Got bored?

Well sell it. But buy a preowned one. A used Brio should be great. Even preowned Alto K10 is a great bargain, although it will be a downgrade.
Old 24th April 2013, 18:50   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv_1984 View Post
Okay... Here is an update.

Ultimately, i can feel that he will sell his car but may be not now and its not my job to keep convincing him the other way everytime, but as a friend I feel sad that he will do something that is rarely thought off.

Will keep pouring in updates here.

Thanks Folks.
Since he has kind of made up his mind to sell it, how about exploring in relatives, near and dear ones, friends, or may be his brother who will keep his car for a decent price while he can upgrade sensibly to something that he likes. In such a case his losses should be minimized, people near to him will understand his predicament and might help him out.

But as everyone has suggested, its better to hold on to it and if at all he plans to sell it then no point modifying his ride, spending more as it is difficult to recover the money spent on accessories during resell.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2013, 22:36   #49
BHPian

I would be surprised if he can even get money equal to outstanding loan left. Figo petrol is a depreciation disaster. I came across a preowned 9 month old 6000km Lxi. outstanding loan was 3.40 and market was not going above 2.6-2.7L. Finally owner decided to keep the car with himself
Old 24th April 2013, 22:45   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Since he has kind of made up his mind to sell it, how about exploring in relatives, near and dear ones, friends, or may be his brother who will keep his car for a decent price while he can upgrade sensibly to something that he likes. In such a case his losses should be minimized, people near to him will understand his predicament and might help him out.

In my honest opinion.
Charity between close relationships especially for lifestyle stuff is a very bad idea.
Old 24th April 2013, 23:21   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
In my honest opinion.
Charity between close relationships especially for lifestyle stuff is a very bad idea.
I was talking about charity exactly but rather if someone is interested in buying the car, then they can amicably settle for a price if possible. Just a thought.
Old 24th April 2013, 23:54   #52
BHPian

This is a case of one impulsive decision following another. One he regrets and another he will.
Frankly speaking your friend seems following the 'heart' type if you now what i mean and any advice coming from you or us is futile. He has to find out what he likes and then you just accompany him to the showroom. Nothing much you can do here.

But if reason appeals ask him to keep the car for a couple of years. If he is young living with a boring car for a short duration wont hurt him.
Other than that he can always select a brand and a car then look for the exchange schemes or upgrades offered by car companies themselves. Agents will not offer a fair price and financial hit will be significant. Not good!
Old 25th April 2013, 00:10   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
In my honest opinion.
+1. Not just charity, even business in close relationships is a bad idea. One person always feels he/she has done a favor to another in such transactions.
Old 25th April 2013, 00:59   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
I am failing to understand.

What is so ugly about Figo that he cannot stand it.
Exactly. I fail to understand why is he not liking Figo, if he has upgraded to it from a two-wheeler. I know my friend who has upgraded to Figo petrol from his Alto and immensely likes his possession.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
+1.

- I do understand that one TD can't give a lot of info. But in this case has he taken it across places and then comes to this conclusion? (City, Highway etc)
He's driving the car for nine months and still not come to liking it? Figo Petrol is not a leader in its segment, so what? The car is immensely likeable. Superb city handling, great feel of the steering. I think he is just being impulsive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
No point in keeping a car if you don't like it. Sell it man. Get a Ferrari. YOLO

Alright jokes apart, does your friend like smaller hatchbacks? You can ask your friend to sell off the Figo and get a cheaper car - one to his liking this time around. Obviously, he will take a hit of atleast 1L if not more, but with the money that's left he can buy an Eon, Alto, i10, Brio or something similar. OR, he can look around for used cars that then fit his budget!
I think this could be the right decision. Not the Brio though, wont come cheaper.
Ferari is not a bad decision, true.
Old 25th April 2013, 01:29   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
He's driving the car for nine months and still not come to liking it? Figo Petrol is not a leader in its segment, so what? The car is immensely likeable. Superb city handling, great feel of the steering. I think he is just being impulsive!
He might be driving for nine months. But how much he has actually driven? How much he has clocked? City vs highway etc.

May be every time he drives, he drives with a prejudice. Now there is no solution for a pre-concived notion. The idea is to try and do justice with an open mind. As you said a Figo petrol may be not class leading but it has other gems which can bring smile to ones face. Need to make sure, he is exposed to these gems! May be those negative prejudices change the other way !
Old 25th April 2013, 07:05   #56
BHPian

As a lot of people suggested, keeping the Figo makes a lot of sense to avoid the huge hit that is synonymous with the sale of 1-2 year old cars.

Look at it this way. Why not use the car for another 2-3 hours when its at it's fittest best? Also, an option could be reversible performance mods (possible?). Why I ask and suggest these is that modded cars stand to lose more money when they are being sold.

-Shivang Gandotra

Last edited by MetalBuff : 25th April 2013 at 07:07.
Old 25th April 2013, 08:27   #57
Mik
BHPian

What we call a gem - the superb suspension/handling package of the Figo, is not necessarily a gem for many. I have had one guy saying that his i10 (what sacrilege) has a better steering than my Figo because he can turn the i10 with one finger comfortably. Another says that the plastics look like "China maal".
A lot of how we perceive a car is also driven by our peers. On team-bhp we know it for its fun-to-drive quotient. In the real world, Figo sells because it is a VFM buy. That is its USP.
Fun-to-Drive, hardly any turbo lag(diesel), high speed stability - who cares.
Mik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2013, 10:21   #58
Senior - BHPian

Considering that it was his first car, its quiet understandable that he might have taken the decision to buy Figo in a jiffy, however now that he has made up his mind to sell the car I think it makes sense for him to go ahead with that decision.

Now on the next upgrade, if I where you my friend I would pick a used/pre-owned OHC Vtec or a Civic or Cedia, and there is no explanation needed on why I would like to own one of these cars
Old 25th April 2013, 10:23   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
What we call a gem - the superb suspension/handling package of the Figo, is not necessarily a gem for many. I have had one guy saying that his i10 (what sacrilege) has a better steering than my Figo because he can turn the i10 with one finger comfortably. Another says that the plastics look like "China maal".
A lot of how we perceive a car is also driven by our peers. On team-bhp we know it for its fun-to-drive quotient. In the real world, Figo sells because it is a VFM buy. That is its USP.
Fun-to-Drive, hardly any turbo lag(diesel), high speed stability - who cares.
Well Said Mik, the person we are talking about here is not one amongst us neither does he understand all those automotive jargons.

A common man who just drives for the sake of reaching from Point A to Point B will have hardly anything to do with Turbo lag (he will rather call it less pickup), responsive steering (he will call it steering is very hard), high speed dynamics(he will not even know what is a body roll or what is known as "feeling planted") or High speed cornering.

The problem is that most of us go by looks, boot space, seating comfort for 5 and not the least, Interiors and features. Figo is an excellent car irrespective of petrol or diesel but as someone rightly said, if you get impulsive and biased, it becomes difficult to think the justified way.

Thanks!
Shiv_1984 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2013, 11:38   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
OT, but couldnt resist it.

This almost sounds like how most people get married!
Double OT, but couldnt resist it.

I sincerely hope he married a girl of his choice and likening...
sandeepmdas is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed