Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2013, 12:16   #61
BHPian

Re: Bored of new Ford Figo - Keep it or Sell It?

My two cents.
Considering this is his first car why dont you also suggest him opportunities to fall in love with the car
Suggest him some scenic routes, family vacation - actually figo with large cabin space is quite practical for such drives. OK if he feels power less but then he has to learn that there can be no perfect cars.
There will always be some trade offs - price vs engine size, size of car vs parking etc etc.
Design of car is so subjective why even bother so much about it especially when this is his first car, rather why not focus on what positives in life can be achieved just by having a car vs two wheelers. Monsoon drives, late night drives, mountains, sea beaches. All such places awaits him now and he could burn some money on such pleasures of life instead
shk_24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2013, 12:18   #62
Team-BHP Support

I have an idea.

The strong point of the Figo is its handling and highspeed stability.
Take him on a highway and show him what his car is able to do.

please adhere to all traffic rules and most importantly common sense

Maybe he has no idea why some people love the Figo?
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2013, 17:42   #63
BHPian

Ford has some of the best handling cars in India. I have a 12 yr old Ikon and it still drives like a dream and is rattle free. My parents are using it now though, since I've got a Xylo (2010) for me. I wanted ford fusion but it was stopped by that time. May be you can suggest your friend to not think much about it and just enjoy the drives, in course of time he sure will love it. Once a Ford always a Ford . When people are unsure its best to experiment with some used cars and then when mind matures enough, go for new one. 5 years back I was planning to buy spark, but ended up getting used Ikon and now if I look back I would've regretted that decision badly, my mind is settled on SUV/MPVs. I don't regret buying Xylo, been 3 years now and loving it more everyday.
Old 25th April 2013, 22:21   #64
BHPian

As asked by so many can you please tell us how many kms has he clocked in 9 months?

Some of us do get irritated by driving once in a while. During my bumper to bumper 30 km commute to work and back I used to think about not driving at all for a week. It can get exhausting and specially so for someone who used to ride since his commute time might have increased.

However my little Chevy Beat which isn't the ideal vehicle for highway driving plants a smile on my face every time she's taken out. It connects you with your car. After my Del-Mum-Del drive I fell in love with the car and I am looking forward to highway commute whenever possible.

If he's confident enough and knows how to handle highways I would suggest a weekend road trip for him to get to know his vehicle well.

The monetary concerns are for real and he will be a fool to sell it now. If his impulsive nature does anyway take over all logic and assuming by his description he will not be in with the idea of owning a pre-owned vehicle I would suggest to give the car a few months to 'prove itself' and keeping an open mind about its abilities and what its capable of. He needs to let go of all negativity attached towards the purchase and try and enjoy the vehicle for as long as it is with him

I would describe this as a 'first world problem'. I thank heavens that I have a car to commute in unlike so many people in this country. We need to stop taking what life offers us for granted and be thankful that we have the comforts we do.
AbhishekB86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2013, 23:04   #65
BHPian

Slightly off topic but is this simply a problem with the car? I know a guy who buys certain things just for the sake of buying (no selling here), almost on impulse and knowingly get into financial constraints. He has 4 blackberry now apart from a playbook. Every time he (plan to) buy something, he comes up with a stupid enough excuse (like wifi hotspot not in older model, so I can't connect my Playbook!). Is this a similar character, who just needs a reason to fulfill his impulse.
If your friend is someone like that then I am afraid, no amount of reasons is going to be enough for him. Definitely a financial disaster.
beez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2013, 00:38   #66
Senior - BHPian

Going by the number of pretty-much-new cars in our classified, I am wondering whether every other person continues with a dissatisfied car these days, unlike suggested by many of us in this thread. Once the feeling sinks in, it is difficult to overcome the same - and the person might be relieved to sell even with a loss or downgrade to a car of his choice. May be it is not that wise for those who don't have financial excess to get bored with their car, I agree; but some people may need to make mistakes to learn from.

We have 3 pages of 2012 year model and newer cars on our Team-BHP classified listing. And see the reason why the owner sells, for the top four of them - "To get Amaze", "Upgrading to automatic", "Buying new Car", "new car purchase"(a Land Rover!

Last edited by thoma : 26th April 2013 at 00:50. Reason: Gulping down some text
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2013, 07:21   #67
BHPian

Interesting... kinda reminds me of my college days and the LML I used to drive. For lack of means, I could not get anything better and though there was nothing fundamentally wrong with it, I simply disliked it and hated puttering into the college campus on that thing. Once I graduated, got a job and had enought to buy a bike, the LML was after 6 years and 43K kms old; somehow, I could feel a sort of eerie sadness to see it go, which I thought I never will.

So.. IMO your friend has two options:
1. Go by the heart - just go out and find whatever means possible to get rid of the Figo and bring home the car of his choice and be happy. Financial sense be damned
2. Go by head - understand the financial implications of such a move and avoid it. Perform more research, more TDs and keep 'his' opinion on cars up to date. Keep a close eye on running and maintenance costs and the money/time he saves by using the car. The day that balance tilts in favor of the former is when he should sell it without batting an eye. And then go for a new car after full study and analysis. Bask in the knowledge that he did not give into the foolish heart and land up in a financial mess.

Trying to mix the two thought processes will only create confusion, arguments and what not.
Old 26th April 2013, 11:35   #68
BHPian

This thread brings a smile to me as that was what I exactly went through. I too sold my Ford Figo diesel - EXI after running it for 2 years. But then I had got a company car and that enabled me to get a Polo Diesel Comforline. Some of My comment Below

Good Experiences with Ford Figo Diesel EXI (Bought May 2011 - Sold April 2013 )

1. Awesome Highway Ride: I had driven down the car from Pune to Bangalore and back - It is just Awesome the way the car handled.

2. Superb Space : The space actually used to delight people who would sit in the back. Also when I was moving from Mumbai to Pune, Just had all the space I needed

3. Low Maintenence Cost and Good Service Experience: Though the car had gone to service station only for 3-4 times in the 2 years period, the bill was always below 3k. It used to be serviced at SC FORD Dealership in Mumbai and Plant FORD Dealership in Pune and both the experiences were good.( Though not Great and delightful )

4. Other good things : Powerful AC / Extended Warranty packages

Reasons for selling :

1. Mileage of 16 Km/l: I was probably over expecting that that the car would give me a mileage of over 18KM/l. But even on highway rides it would give only 16 KM/l.

2. Seats: The seats are really durable in a Figo - no doubting that but they are not the most comfortable. They are a bit on the harder side.

3. Suspension: After just 2 years of driving, the suspension started some noise, though not majorly noticable unless you are too keen on things. And the ride is a bit on the harder side

4. Others : Ford as a Brand / Lighting / Wiper Blade Quality - Though the service station replaced with new wiper blades on every free service the problem of fine lines on wind screen never got resolved

My New Love a Polo Diesel Comfortline Vs the Figo Diesel Exi :

1. Suspension : a really smooth ride from the Polo that a figo could never match

2. Mileage : Boy Polo is a delight on that. I easily get a milage of 16 - 18 in city with moderate traffic and above 20 KM/l clearly on good roads

3. Seat Comfort: The seats in a polo are just awesome compared to the polo that I had.

4. Space : This is the best part compared to a Figo. The Polo looks sleek but has got a good space in Boot . Though the Back Seat is bad.

4. Other Smaller Things : All 4 Windows are power windows with Automatic / Good integrated Key with fold / Overall refinement and VW as a Brand.

Mod Note : Team-BHP strongly discourages unsafe driving practices that put yourself and other road users at risk. Please do NOT post about illegally high speeds on public roads.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by moralfibre : 27th April 2013 at 07:14. Reason: See note in post.
Old 26th April 2013, 11:52   #69
Senior - BHPian

Is this his first car? If yes he would have had high expectations about cars in this price bracket. Look each and every car has its good things as well as bad points. Let him try to adjust as he had already made the plunge. So let him enjoy the car for three to four years and can then decide for a better change of his option.
Loving a car happens naturally as it is a relationship just like in marriage where the relationship is immortal if the partners wish. Whereas in the case of the former there is always the option of change.
Marriage also has its own good and bad points attached with it and the success thereon lies in making the best out of the relationship by mutual adjustments.
Let us now wait for the decision or wisdom of this guy who is in focus and had became more famous than the Figo itself.

Last edited by rajeev k : 26th April 2013 at 11:55.
Old 26th April 2013, 14:07   #70
BHPian

I am a proud driver of my Figo 1.2 ( 2011 ). I honestly admit, I was once plagued by this same thought. "Was she a good choice?"

Trust me. You build a personal bond with your car and its goes stronger, the more you drive her and take her out.

I strongly suggest your friend to shelve this plan of selling it. Rather, he should plan for some good long drives, short drives, etc. Get to know the car, sync your beats with hers & all will be well.

And also as other experts said, he can always save money monthly and spruce up the interiors or bring in more ICE, Alloys and the stock.
Old 27th April 2013, 02:25   #71
BHPian

Make him ride the chevrolet sail uva, that would change the definition of boring cars for him.

Other than making him ride some true blue boring cars, the figo can be spruced up with some awesome ICE, better tyres etc. Inject the detailing and polishing bug in him, that would surely make him love his figo when it shines and glazes amongst the dirty brios and swifts.Lastly ask him to read the many figo love stories available on team bhp itself.
Old 27th April 2013, 12:57   #72
Senior - BHPian

What exactly what it is that he is bored about ? The Looks,performance or ride ?Has he taken the car for a long drive with family or friends ? It's boring to drive any car in bumper to bumper traffic.May be a long drive will cheer him up and make him feel good about the car.It's always fun to drive the car in top gear on long stretches of highway's.Try to suggest him places to drive with his car.
Old 13th May 2013, 11:39   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv_1984 View Post
Hello folks,

There is something I wanted to share with you all.
Need help from BHPians on what would be his best take.

Thanks in advance.

Shiv
Hey,
Any update on what your friend decided on finally? Hope he has decided to retain it. I got a quote on my Figo 1.2 for the heck of it recently by a showrrom evaluator and the quote was so low, I dont think i'll ever sell it now.
Old 13th May 2013, 14:56   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Hey,
Any update on what your friend decided on finally? Hope he has decided to retain it. I got a quote on my Figo 1.2 for the heck of it recently by a showrrom evaluator and the quote was so low, I dont think i'll ever sell it now.
Talk about low resale of 1.2 Figo ZXI.
Was planning to upgrade to an SUV by this year end when my car lease was getting over.
The casual quote from a dealer of 2.15 Lakhs!!! for 2010 car put my plans under water
Will keep it for another 2 years now and sell it off for whatever then
Old 13th May 2013, 21:19   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_m View Post
Talk about low resale of 1.2 Figo ZXI.
Was planning to upgrade to an SUV by this year end when my car lease was getting over.
The casual quote from a dealer of 2.15 Lakhs!!! for 2010 car put my plans under water
Will keep it for another 2 years now and sell it off for whatever then
Mine was slightly better , by few thousands that is
Mine is a 2010 Exi 1.2.
I decided I will sell it to a known person if I am going to get such a price, atleast I will know the car is in good hands or just keep it .
I do not think getting a good price is possible anytime.

Most Viewed