Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2013, 23:19   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bored of new Ford Figo - Keep it or Sell It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_m View Post
The casual quote from a dealer of 2.15 Lakhs!!! for 2010 car put my plans under water. Will keep it for another 2 years now and sell it off for whatever then
One of my friend purchased a pre-owned 16 months old TDCI Figo, Titanium for Rs 4.6 Lakhs from a Maruti True-value dealership at Kochi.
Old 13th May 2013, 23:36   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
One of my friend purchased a pre-owned 16 months old TDCI Figo, Titanium for Rs 4.6 Lakhs from a Maruti True-value dealership at Kochi.
The 1.2 and 1.4 are like the North and South Poles.
The car is the same, the engine makes all the difference. The TDCI is a tried and tested diesel engine which did duty on almost all Ford models here and since it is a diesel, hence the good re-sale value.
1.2 on the other hand is a car that many people never knew even existed, because the diesel Figo took the limelight.
Something like the Indica/Vista petrols.
Old 24th May 2013, 16:31   #78
BHPian

Okie Folks.. Here is an update!!

My friend sold his car for 3.6 lacs to one of his acquaintances. He suffered a massive depreciation of around 2.25 lacs but he went with his heart over his mind.

I still feel bad for his decision but ultimately there is no point in retaining something you don't like. I dont know which car he is gonna buy but he can't buy one right away. May be a wait for few months will get him enough cash.
Shiv_1984 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2013, 16:46   #79
BHPian

Not a very practical decision, of course. Rather, i think he should concentrate on reducing his financial burden before buying a new set of wheels now. Anyways, good for the buyer. He gets a sparingly used lovely little hatchback.

P.S: Agreed on the point where you said that there is no point in retaining something you dont like but ultimately, i hope your friend doesn't end up regretting the decision.

Last edited by Arch-Angel : 24th May 2013 at 16:48.
Old 27th May 2013, 12:05   #80
BHPian

I had a casual quote from Honda, Ford and VW for my car Brio S(O)MT , June 2012 model.
The quote was 4.4lacs max. Wondered to see the depreciation.

Infact , quite understandably this is what is known as 1st year depreciation.
Old 27th May 2013, 12:10   #81
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv_1984 View Post
Okie Folks.. Here is an update!!

My friend sold his car for 3.6 lacs to one of his acquaintances. He suffered a massive depreciation of around 2.25 lacs but he went with his heart over his mind.

I still feel bad for his decision but ultimately there is no point in retaining something you don't like. I dont know which car he is gonna buy but he can't buy one right away. May be a wait for few months will get him enough cash.
I assume the entire 3.6 lakhs went into closing the car loan.
So your friend has no car and is poorer by more than 2 lakhs.

Not sure but if he is a typical young IT chap he just lost 25% of his full year's salary.
Old 27th May 2013, 12:19   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I assume the entire 3.6 lakhs went into closing the car loan.
So your friend has no car and is poorer by more than 2 lakhs.

Not sure but if he is a typical young IT chap he just lost 25% of his full year's salary.
It's even worst, as I said, it was a 100% financing on Ex-Showroom and he had to pay anathor 25k for closing the loan.

A bad decision by al standards.. I am not sure if he is at all repenting.

Last edited by Shiv_1984 : 27th May 2013 at 12:23.
Shiv_1984 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2013, 12:27   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_m View Post
Talk about low resale of 1.2 Figo ZXI.
Was planning to upgrade to an SUV by this year end when my car lease was getting over.
The casual quote from a dealer of 2.15 Lakhs!!! for 2010 car put my plans under water
Will keep it for another 2 years now and sell it off for whatever then
I know, it's horrible, I was offered 3.5 for a Sep 2011, Figo TDCi Titanium. I am in a similar dilemma. I want to sell it but not at that price. I will keep it till end of year and probably try to sell for 3.5 then.

It feels bad when I found out a friend got nearly 5 for a Aug 2011 Swift VDI done around 48K Km's.

Message to me is loud and clear, if you plan to move cars a lot, go with the market leaders. The resale prices alone are worth it.
eq24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2013, 15:02   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
It feels bad when I found out a friend got nearly 5 for a Aug 2011 Swift VDI done around 48K Km's.

Message to me is loud and clear, if you plan to move cars a lot, go with the market leaders. The resale prices alone are worth it.
+1 to that. Sometimes, herd mentality pays.

I have this case of a colleague from work. He bought a new Duster and sold off his 4 year old Swift VDI. Sold it for 4.4 Lakhs to a dealer in Bangalore.

My heart sunk when I came to know his purchase price. 5.5 lakhs in 2009.

Thats a depreciation of 1.1 lakh or 20% in 4 years. Which car in today's date can command such terrific figures?
It always pays to go with the market leaders. Of course it also helps that the cost of the newer models are way higher than the older ones, which automatically translate into higher resale value for the older cars.

Sigh, the principles of depreciation and resale!
Old 27th May 2013, 15:59   #85

Whatever has happened, has been done and it better to accept it and move forward. Moreso frankly if you ask me i still think it was right decision for him as seeing the car you never liked in first place every day parked is almost regular torture. Better been done away once than daily torture.

I hope your friend doesn't make the mistake twice. Already he bought one under peer pressure.

And next time frankly tell him to buy the car rather than taking sum of average decision.
Old 27th May 2013, 16:10   #86
Senior - BHPian

I think he has made the right decision. If you dont love / like your car, you are unlikely to maintain it well. Plus the trouble of driving it everytime you take her out. Its not worth it. Both the car and the owner will suffer in due course of time.

There is not loss to a person than his loss for Passion.

You should suggest him to go for a used car for his next purchase, its an ideal way to minimize depreciation and enjoy lovely cars. I personally like to change my ride every 2 years and used cars have served the purpose pretty well (with its share of problems sometimes) :P
Old 19th June 2013, 07:42   #87

Does anyone have a list of average depreciation rates for various new cars? If there is already a thread on the topic, please direct me there.
Old 19th June 2013, 21:13   #88
BHPian

A bad decision il have to say. Im sure he knew of the depreciation and the fact that he won't be able to buy a new car for sometime now. He should have atleast waited for the new car smell to go. Also, I'm not sure if he would have had lost significantly more if would have kept the car for another 6 months. His loss would have been from 2.5 to 3, but he would have had a car to get used to and maybe even like.
Old 19th May 2016, 03:54   #89
BANNED

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 20th May 2016 at 08:10.
COMMUTER is offline   Received Infraction
Old 19th May 2016, 11:39   #90
BHPian

I think depreciation is like aging. It is something that keeps happening 24/7. We can either buy a car thinking about the resale and compromise on a lot stuff or get a car that the heart longs for and keep smiling as long as we have it. Not thinking of such stiff will enable people like us to be happy, healthy and smug

Most Viewed