VW Polo GT TSI 250 79.87%
Voters: 313. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2013, 12:05   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Sporty Petrol Hatch Showdown: Toyota Liva TRD vs VW Polo GT TSI

Toyota Liva 1.5L TRD Sportivo

Launched at a price of Rs. 6.14 Lakhs (ex-Delhi).

What you'll like:
• Punchy 1.5L petrol engine offers fast performance & fabulous driveability
• Body kit is well-designed. Sporty, but not flashy
• Spacious interiors can easily carry 5 adults
• Super light steering, gearshift & clutch. Effortless to drive within the city
• Well-tuned suspension. Neutral handling and a comfortable ride
• Toyota’s fuss-free ownership experience & excellent after-sales

What you won't:
• Light steering with zero feedback is a fly in the enthusiast ointment
• Dated design lacks the contemporariness of the i20, Swift etc.
• Missing equipment (No fog lamps, electric mirrors, rear defogger and rear wash / wipe)
• Interior, though improved, is still economy-grade. Unconventional dashboard too
• Cost-cutting is glaringly obvious in many areas

Official Review

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI

Launched at a price of Rs. 7.99 lakhs (ex-Delhi).

What you'll like:
• Enthusiastic, high-revving 1.2L TSI engine. An excellent performer
• 7-speed DSG gearbox is a flawless match to the sporty motor
• A well-built European hatchback with clean, timeless styling
• Mature suspension offers a balanced ride & handling package
• Safety kit includes electronic stability program, hill-hold feature, dual airbags and ABS
• Accommodating 280 liter boot

What you won't:
• Long-term reliability concerns over the DQ200 DSG transmission
• Cutting-edge engine & gearbox tech make it a pricey hatchback
• Exterior is indistinguishable from the regular Polo. No sporty bodykit (à la Liva TRD & Polo SR)
• Ordinary rear bench legroom. Comparable to the likes of the Maruti Ritz
• Vento's superb 1.6L turbo-diesel unavailable on Polo. Superior torque, economy and practicality
• VW's substandard dealership & service experiences. Maruti / Hyundai networks are more customer-centric

Official Review

Last edited by GTO : 24th June 2013 at 12:07.
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 24th June 2013, 12:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sporty Petrol Hatch Showdown: Toyota Liva TRD vs VW Polo GT TSI

The brain says Toyota. But the Liva just doesn't appeal to the eye which is one of the crucial aspect for me in ownership. No matter how good the car performs, a ugly duckling is a ugly duckling. I also don't like the cost cutting measures especially when we are talking a 'hot' hatch comparo.

The 7DSG on the VW is cutting edge (though I would have preferred a 6 speed manual over this any day) and the TSI's are one the best motors from VW bandwagon. After having driven the 1.8 TSI extensively (which I feel is the best sub 2L petrol motor in India, period), the heart goes with the TSI VW. Also the clean lines of the Polo design seal the deal for me.
dkaile is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th June 2013, 12:33   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

The Liva TRD is the one for me.
Sure it doesn't have the high techiness of the Polo 1.2 Tsi, but should look at the segment. Its cheap FTD new hothatch.
Not cutting edge, but still basic FTD, and even if i bought one of these it will be thrashed and used the way it is meant for ,the Toyota may take the abuse, so will the Polo, but i shudder to think if something went wrong and have to take the car to V.W ASS.

The Liva has an old school but throaty engine, decent handling, and Toyota service to back up, not to mention it still has a proper manual to row. DSG and other hi-end auto trannies maybe for high powered cars , but these are at the end of the day, basic family cars tuned for performance.
So looking at boy racer kinda driving and mod friendliness in the long term the Liva is the choice.
Negatives
Can bear with the cost cutting, but the instrument cluster clearly sucks.

And regarding dead steering feel around corners, will any day prefer downshifting manually and powering through the corner than flowing through it.
DicKy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th June 2013, 12:38   #4
Team-BHP Support

I would have voted for the Liva TRD but the lack of features in the Liva TRD is a total buzz kill as a premium hatch with sporty pretensions.

If it is supposed to be sporty, it should have had that flat bottomed steering wheel from the top end Liva / Etios with steering mounted controls and not the ungainly larger round wheel from lower end trim.

They added a body kit but couldn't add foglamps? Instead they covered it with cheap plastic cut out. Sad.

No rear wiper and defogger for a hatch that is more than 6L ex-showroom and petrol. No indicators on ORVM's?

The above list is essential if your trying to rope in buyers looking for something more than A to B commuting.

VW have got it right. Load the Polo to the gills and give it a stonking engine / gearbox.

Anyone spending that much money on a petrol car is not looking for a barebones car with just the engine.
Vid6639 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th June 2013, 12:46   #5
BHPian

This is a difficult one for me!

Liva Sportivo: Toyota badge, superb engine and understated looks. Killed by dead steering (why, why , why!), central dash!

Polo TSI: Eternal euro looks, solid body and planted manners. I have never driven one of these and somehow an automatic does not kick that rush which a manual does for me.

I would still go for POLO TSI
When it comes to FTD factor, Germans are better choice than the workaholic and obedient Japs!
Old 24th June 2013, 13:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

The VW Tsi could have been so much more of a hot hatchback if VW really intended it to be one. The only driver involving excitement comes out of the (issue-prone) DQ200 gearbox and the new 1.2 Tsi engine. What about creature comforts? For the money VW is charging this product should have been a complete package with sport seats, low profile tyres, fancier 5 spoke alloys, a functioning spoiler, bi-xenons and the works.

The Toyota is more of a complete package in that sense when compared to the Tsi, but it lacks the clean and proportionate lines of the Polo. However, I can bet my horses that it would definitely be more reliable - considering the Jap pedigree!

Anyway, if it were for me, I'd give this one a tie. If you want a complete package + peace of mind go with the TRD, if you want clean, simple, straight, no-nonsense, wolf in a sheep's clothing package then the TSi it is.
9thsphinx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2013, 13:30   #7
BHPian

Heart says VW but Mind says Toyota.

When considered according to VFM aspect, the Liva is surely the one to go for. But, considering the interior part quality and looks, the GT TSI is the one to choose, but it comes at a premium of 1.5 Lacs.

Mind says Toyota because Japs are trusted (Honda, Toyota have well-built reputation in our country) and are, most importantly, reliable which the German as well as the DSG are not.

Looks-wise, both Liva and Polo are at par due to the Liva's TRD Body kit. Wish VW also provided the SR Body kit as standard on the GT TSI.

For me, its the Liva. Why?
  • Reliability which the VW and DSG transmission can't ever match.
  • Better dynamics and appeal due to the TRD Body Kit.
  • 1.5 Lac cheaper and also cheaper to maintain in the long run.
  • Better-looking gun-metal alloy wheels look better any day.
  • Most affordable petrol hot-hatch.
  • Much more spacious rear seat. Overall India-Oriented Hot-hatch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
They added a body kit but couldn't add foglamps? Instead they covered it with cheap plastic cut out. Sad.

No rear wiper and defogger for a hatch that is more than 6L ex-showroom and petrol. No indicators on ORVM's.
Vidyut, Toyota has planned the production in this way only. Performance-hungry would get the TRD while all the bells and whistles (which a family-oriented guy wishes for) are available in the top-end 1.2 Liter. Absence of fog lamps and rear wash/wipe would be to keep the costs in check. Imagine 90BHP hatchback at 6.15 Lacs as compared to the 103BHP VW at 7.99 Lacs. It leaves ~1.8 Lacs for an enthusiast to modify!

Last edited by Loud : 24th June 2013 at 13:32.
Loud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2013, 14:26   #8
Senior - BHPian

I would go for the Toyota although it has many features missing. I have not driven the Liva, but have driven the GT TSI. But, my vote is according to what can be done on the Toyota later. I would never touch the TSI regarding modding it etc.
On a Liva, which has simple technology involved, I would not think twice on dropping it off at RRP and probably fitting a GPS speedo behind the steering wheel .
Yes, I'm not a fan of light steering and a light car at all, but the GT is no Fiat or Ford in that department either, so I don't mind. That is something which can be taken care of to an extent with stiffer springs.
And the main point, the Liva is affordable to me atleast.

Regards
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2013, 14:40   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

IMO i should prefer the exterior kit of the Liva TRD especially the smoked rims and majorly because the Liva is a M/T it should be ticking the right chords in an enthusiasts mind, but frankly it doesn't. Majorly because this TRD is an eyewash.

It needs a supercharger to be taken seriously, otherwise should be stripped off its TRD badging

On the other hand the 1.2 Tsi deserved a M/T or atleast paddle shifters to be taken as a serious performance hatch.

But yes out of the two its an easy win for the Polo TSi.

Last edited by karan561 : 24th June 2013 at 14:42.
karan561 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2013, 15:31   #10
BHPian

My vote goes to the Polo GT. The higher price is justified IMO.
Things that justify the 1.5 lac difference:
- 1.2l TSI engine which is sure to smoke the 1.5l NA engine of the liva.
- The 7-speed DSG is just brilliant! Even I was wondering what the DSG hype was all about but after driving the GT, I fell in love. The speed of the shifts cannot be matched by a manual tranny and the triptronic mode is the icing on the cake. About the reliability of the DQ200, if Volkswagen is providing any extended warranty it'll surely ensure piece of mind.
- The interiors of the polo is easily a segment or two higher than the interiors of the liva.
- If its a hot hatch, handling is very important. And the polo wins in this department too.
- ESP and hill-hold function on the polo which are segment firsts.
- The liva lacks basic features such as fog lamps and rear defoggers.

If I was on the lookout for a sporty hatch right now, I would pick the polo hands down!
Old 24th June 2013, 16:52   #11
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the GT TSI due to the following reasons.

1. The polo looks more manly than its boxy Toyota counterpart
2. Liva lacks features
3. Central dash and dead steering on the Liva is surely a deal breaker
4. I love the 7-speed DSG gearbox.
Old 24th June 2013, 17:57   #12
BHPian

Polo is my choice for the following reasons:
1. Plain jane styling of Etios
2. Economy grad interiors of Etios
3. Contemporary 1.2 mill and DSG transmission for the GT
4. Sporty dynamics and more FTD nature of the GT
Old 24th June 2013, 18:11   #13
Senior - BHPian

Ideally the comparison should have been with Liva 1.5 TRD and Polo 1.6. Unfortunately its discontinued.

If there is no budget constraint, i dont think any 'Enthusiast' will pick the TRD over a TSI !
Old 24th June 2013, 18:35   #14
Senior - BHPian

Polo TSI gets my vote

Get one > go to this guy
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post3155421

Note: Change alloy wheel/colour to suit your exterior! there you go.
Old 24th June 2013, 18:36   #15
Team-BHP Support

My vote goes to the GT TSI. Reasons below:
  1. Modern turbocharged petrol engine with a brilliant 7-speed DSG.
  2. Understated and elegant looks. The nice GT badge on the grille gives a hint of what lies beneath.
  3. Essential safety features to compliment the added power. This indeed is a big negative for the Liva. On equipment levels (especially on safety), there is nothing to differentiate from the regular variants.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks