Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2006, 12:06   #16
BHPian

I would suggest you for baleno its always better to have extraaaaaaaa boot you never know when you will require it.
Old 6th June 2006, 12:19   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque
Swift inferior on highway to Baleno .... It will be as good if not better!
Are you in any way trying to say that on highways the Swift is as good as a Baleno if not better???
Old 6th June 2006, 12:31   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque
Swift inferior on highway to Baleno .... It will be as good if not better!
yes it will certainly b inferior 2 baleno on a highway.

1. taller than baleno : more prone 2 crosswinds, more prone to rolling over (in case of sharp turn to avoid an obstacle or accident).
2. smaller than baleno : where do u want 2 keep the extra luggage that we usually carry on highway travels, in a small boot or the roof?

i m sure there wud b many more benefits of having a baleno on the highway over swift, baleno owners whats ur say?

BTW, on a highway BALENO says

Last edited by naveendhyani : 6th June 2006 at 12:47.
Old 6th June 2006, 12:34   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveendhyani
all these needs can b easily fulfilled by baleno. i personally m a regular visitor 2 hill stations and highways so i know what comfort and confidence a big car gives. also lower center of gravity makes them suck on the ground.

swift on the other hand is more of a city vehicle than a highway one. no matter how good a small car is it does not inspire enough confidence on the highways. on top of that something of a tall boy design is much prone 2 cross winds that u encounter on the highways making them even more unstable.

rest upto ur heart
Hi Naveen, I have driven Swift, Baleno and Esteem constantly on hills from Delhi, Shimla, Manali. Whereas common sense would have you to believe that Esteem and Baleno would inspire more confidence on the hills, however its quite the contrary. (Although my Swift is upsized), but anyone who has owned or driven a Swift would agree, that it inspires more confidence on a highway and highspeeds, even more than old Vtec, due to its heavy weight, it gives a feeling that it will never leave the ground. The confidence I get driving a Swift at high speed corners cant be matched by Esteem or the Balenos I have driven. On top I feel safer, even if its make belief.
Old 6th June 2006, 12:41   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

2. lighter than baleno : not enough grip, at higher speeds likely 2 float, does not give u enough confidence in overtaking.

Swift Weight:

Weights Kerb weight:980 kgs. [LXi] / 1000 kgs. [VXi] / 1010 kgs. [ZXi]

Baleno Weight
Kerb Weight 985 Kgs

Also with BSIII norms and the decrease in power (stock) Baleno, the 0-100 are nothing to write home about. To sum it up here are the pros and cons of both the cars:
Baleno:
1) Baleno, tried and tested engine
2) Cheap spares compared to most mid sizers (except Esteem)
3) VFM as the Lxi is cheaper than Swift Zxi
4) No airbags or ABS even as standard (makes it not as safe as Swift Zxi)
5) Aging looks
6) Aging interiors
7) Has a boot and good leg space
8) Can be discontinued as old design

Swift:
1) New and contemporary design
2) Safer with safety features like Airbags and ABS (in Zxi)
3) Tried and tested engine (Esteem's modified engine)
4) Small boot
5) Good shoulder room, but less leg room
6) Good high speed stability
7) Wont be discontinued but diesel engine around the corner..
Lastly, please stick to your own experiences and facts, and please advise in right spirits. Let this not become another Baleno vs Rest of the World threads.

Last edited by aseem : 6th June 2006 at 12:50.
Old 6th June 2006, 12:57   #21
Senior - BHPian

I have not driven the Swift or Vtec on the highways - so not commenting on how they fare w.r.t. the Baleno. However, a small doubt. The Swift sure is heavier than the Baleno by 15 to 30kgs depending on the model. But then does a 1.5 to 3% increase in weight really matter ? And what about the low C.G. and aerodynamic design advantages that the Baleno has over the swift ? Won't these actually negate any advantage of Swift being heavier by a few kilos ?
Old 6th June 2006, 13:31   #22
BHPian

Aseem, wrt your post no.20 where you have replied to a certain quote from naveendhyani which states Naveendhyani saying that the Baleno is more heavier than the Swift. Now i went through every post in this thread but could not find naveen saying anything like that.. Soo whats your take on that????Or maybe i missed something

Last edited by prince85 : 6th June 2006 at 13:42.
Old 6th June 2006, 13:38   #23
BHPian

IMHO, the Baleno feels more planted and rooted to the road when compared to the Swift and inspires more confidence in driving through fast bends on the highways. But yes, Swift really suprises with its driving manners and handling considering its a hatchback and quite a tall one at that.

But one thing i noticed in my friend's swift zxi is that the ride is quite bumpy, its more in the santro league,wonder why???

Aseem, your Swift ZXI is shod on Bridgestone Grid III's, right????

Last edited by prince85 : 6th June 2006 at 13:39.
Old 6th June 2006, 13:40   #24
BHPian

Go for Baleno

Hi, I vote for Baleno. I personally own one and are very happy to take it on a long drive. Its a gem of a Car. Has perfect - Power, Handling, Airconditioner, Mailage except its dated design. The car is a class apart.

If you are worried about mechanics taking you to task please contact Mr.Selvaraj (D.G.M - Service) of Mandovi motors - J.P.Nagar you can refer my name and he will assist you.

Regards,
K.Nagaraj
Old 6th June 2006, 13:46   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85
Aseem, wrt your post no.20 where you have replied to a certain quote from naveendhyani which states Naveendhyani saying that the Baleno is more heavier than the Swift. Now i went through every post in this thread but could not find naveen saying anything like that.. Soo whats your take on that????Or maybe i missed something
Actually, you did miss something. It seems Naveen edited his post after Aseem posted or independently at the same time.
Old 6th June 2006, 13:54   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
Actually, you did miss something. It seems Naveen edited his post after Aseem posted or independently at the same time.
Oh....ok, Thanks for that RX135.
Old 6th June 2006, 14:00   #27
bhp
BHPian

go for the baleno even i own one since last 10 months ........it is vfm gives u decent average , ride , handling , good air con etc etc
the only worst part is the low ground clearence
Old 6th June 2006, 15:32   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85
Are you in any way trying to say that on highways the Swift is as good as a Baleno if not better???
Resounding yes, as good as baleno if not better.
Old 6th June 2006, 15:42   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1. taller than baleno : more prone 2 crosswinds, more prone to rolling over (in case of sharp turn to avoid an obstacle or accident).
2. smaller than baleno : where do u want 2 keep the extra luggage that we usually carry on highway travels, in a small boot or the roof?

i m sure there wud b many more benefits of having a baleno on the highway over swift, baleno owners whats ur say?

Dont go by looks alone... Swift has a wider track Front (1470 mm) /Rear (1480 mm) compared to baleno's Front (1440 mm) /Rear (1430 mm), its more aerodynamic and has low CG, then there is the suspension which makes it a good highway car.
Another point is Swift has a more squat stance than the Baleno since its as wide as the baleno (1690mm) with a wider front and rear track, while at the same time being much shorter.
Old 6th June 2006, 15:46   #30
Senior - BHPian

Yes my Swift is upsized and has Potenza GIII and the Baleno and Esteem are on stock tyres. So that can be the reason my Swift feels more planted. Its ride is on the stiffer side (as it doesnt have an independant setup at the rear). But it cant compare to Santro (own one). Yes the Baleno and Esteem give a more comfortable feeling on bumps. The very first time I drove Swift while taking a test drive on a bumpy road I found the suspension very stiff. However this stiff suspension becomes a boon while cornering or at high speed. To highlight this statement, anyone who had driven a Scorpio will tell you how great the suspension is at low speed on bumpy roads, but that very soft suspension becomes a nightmare at highspeeds where the car just looses its handling.

SupremeBaleno, yes 50-60 kgs doesnt mean much, but the fact that Swift is so small (length wise) and still has so much weight means that its avg mass per size is more compared to Baleno and that does effect its road grip. Swift is not really a tall boy as Santro and Wagon R and never does it give me the feel that it will loose control while cornering, a feeling that I always get in a Santro while taking high speed turns.

It all boils down too, do you need a boot and a bigger car on the expense of some safety and the risk of Baleno being discontinued in the near future because of older design.

OR

You want a smaller hatch that holds some of the Baleno strengths like Engine and low cost of maintainence, but will remain a fresh design even after a few years.

By the way, what is the EURO NCAP safety rating of Baleno? I have always felt that Esteem and Baleno are very light (per their size), this lightness makes them very fast, but is it at the expense of safety?

Most Viewed