Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2006, 14:10   #16

Thanks for the feedback.
Shankar
Old 30th June 2006, 14:17   #17
BHPian

When I test-drove the Santro AT, I found that the 4-speed gear box moved to the top gear only at speeds of 60+. This would result in poor fuel economy. I don't think the Wagon R is available with auto transmission any more.
Old 30th June 2006, 15:23   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomi
I don't think the Wagon R is available with auto transmission any more.
No dude, its still there, if it is not discontinued this month only! Check it here. I have confirmed the same from Maruti Wagon R website too. There was a surprising fact that Maruti has launched Wagon R LX and LXI with LPG too. Priced around 10k more!
Old 3rd October 2008, 12:04   #19
BHPian

Help with automatic Hatchback

Hi

I need to purchase a small city car for my wife who has driven mostly automatic cars in Dubai and US.

The requirement for her to mainly drive in Hyderabad on school ferrying, groceries and shopping at malls.

She has seen and driven the i10 1.2L Kappa sportz fiery red (with its flashy interios) and quite likes the space and looks (outside/inside) - however the one she drove was MT and not AT.

There is about 40 K difference in MT and AT. Being eco-firendly, she wants fuel efficiency as well. She will have a small infact on car seat at the back and a 6 year old with her most of the time with a maid. The car boot should be able to hold a Quinny pram.

I wanted to check with BHPian's experience on
a) difference expected in fuel economy between MT and AT on i10 in city driving conditions

b) I have seen some accidents when auto's and motorcycles cut across (at some red lights) and have hit cars at an angle at the back seat doors. I do not find any help on sites whether the i10 has any protection on sides. Is that a big problem?

c) How well would AT work on inclines (Jubilee hills/Banjara hills etc) in i10 - or similar terrain.

d) Is there some other hatchbackthat would fit the bill (< 5 Lakhs) with an option to sell it after 2-3 years (our avg resident time in any city)

Cheers
R

Note from Team-BHP Support : Thread MERGED. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.

Last edited by Jaggu : 3rd October 2008 at 12:43. Reason: Search please
Old 3rd October 2008, 15:26   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
She has seen and driven the i10 1.2L Kappa sportz fiery red (with its flashy interios) and quite likes the space and looks (outside/inside) - however the one she drove was MT and not AT.
The i10 Kappa is amongst the best hatchbacks on sale in India, whether manual or automatic. I think the lady will be happier with the auto; let her husband worry about FE
Old 3rd October 2008, 15:36   #21
Senior - BHPian

There is a review on the i10 Kappa in Autocar India's Sep issue, which mentioned that the Auto version returns about 10 kmpl in the city (if i remember right!), about 2 kmpl less than the manual. That said, it is supposed to be the best Auto hatch available.
Old 3rd October 2008, 15:41   #22
BHPian

Hyundai

I agree with GTO, The i10 AT is a great choice. and a near second best is the Santro AT, My dad uses one and has ZERO complains... he thinks its a great BET. So the choices remain with HYUNDAI.
Old 5th October 2008, 21:17   #23
Senior - BHPian

i10 AT is good choice considering its excellant interiors. I test drove the same also my wife and found its decent in performance even in steep up an down roads with AC on(3 adults and kid in the car), it climbed easily.

FE expected is minimum 9kmpl in congested city with AC on. I found driving AT car need some experience to get better FE.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 5th October 2008, 23:09   #24
Senior - BHPian

Without doubt i10 AT is the best option. Though the Small car ain't so much cluttered with AT options but still hyundai AT has already proved itself with Santro AT. As pointed by others members too do not expect too high FE from AT but still it is a effortless car to roam in Hyderabad streets
Old 11th October 2008, 19:38   #25
Senior - BHPian

My comments in bold:
Quote:
Originally Posted by adzegeek View Post
She will have a small infact on car seat at the back and a 6 year old with her most of the time with a maid. The car boot should be able to hold a Quinny pram.
I think you should take the infant/baby car seat and the pram to the dealer and keep it in and see. That way you can be definitely sure yourself.

I wanted to check with BHPian's experience on
a) difference expected in fuel economy between MT and AT on i10 in city driving conditions
The efficiency expected is about 10 KMPL as already mentioned
b) I have seen some accidents when auto's and motorcycles cut across (at some red lights) and have hit cars at an angle at the back seat doors. I do not find any help on sites whether the i10 has any protection on sides. Is that a big problem?
Check with the dealer about side impact beams - I remember asking this to the Hyundai dealer here a month ago but forgot the answer he gave me (I'm getting old!)
This link may help:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...tml#post953027

c) How well would AT work on inclines (Jubilee hills/Banjara hills etc) in i10 - or similar terrain.
Check the car while driving up a bridge. I dont think it will be a major problem.

d) Is there some other hatchbackthat would fit the bill (< 5 Lakhs) with an option to sell it after 2-3 years (our avg resident time in any city)
I can't think of any that is as good. The WagonR has an option, but I dont think its as good
Old 11th October 2008, 20:35   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

have you considered a second hand automatic?
Your options pretty much double up then without affecting the price range.
You could get a good sedan with better safety features.
Old 12th October 2008, 11:01   #27
BHPian

I tried searching for a good used automatic in the <4lacs range, but could hardly find a good one.. just then the i10 kappa was released and didn't hesistate one bit to get the hands on the first i10 automatic in Chennai.
As GTO mentions above, my wife is throughly enjoying the car , while i'm left to worry about the FE!!!
Old 12th October 2008, 12:32   #28
BHPian

I need suggestions on the same, i think there are only two options:- i10 and santro AT,what are the on-road prices for both?
Can one convert the MT to AT(Alto),is it a reliable option and what could be the cost involved for the project.

Last edited by Gill : 12th October 2008 at 12:35.
Old 12th October 2008, 20:35   #29
Senior - BHPian

Hi Gill,

> i think there are only two options:- i10 and santro AT,

If you can live with a 3 speed one, the Wagon R does have an automatic version which is made on order.

It would give 9kpl in city and about 12 to 13 in highway.
Old 12th October 2008, 23:01   #30
BHPian

Jus go for the SantroAT it cheaper than the i10AT, at 4Lakhs you'll get the package and I think that's a deal.
your FE will be at about 10kmpl. see if it's worth it. I think it is. Like is said earlier my Dad drives one and has no complaints at all.

Last edited by johnda : 12th October 2008 at 23:05.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks