Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2011, 10:52   #121
Team-BHP Support

Re: Automatic small car options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors View Post
I am looking for second car for wifey. And looking for an AT for the notorious Bangalore traffic. I am really surprised to know that we just have two options. A-star and i10? i20 AT is astronomically high. Sad to learn that Honda doesnt have plans to bring Brio AT to India.

Any other options at all?
That is true. But yes the I10AT with the Kappa2 is really worth the buy.
From engine and space point of view no beating this one!
There is only one challenger anyway!
Old 13th November 2011, 11:47   #122
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors View Post
I am looking for second car for wifey. And looking for an AT for the notorious Bangalore traffic. I am really surprised to know that we just have two options. A-star and i10? i20 AT is astronomically high. Sad to learn that Honda doesnt have plans to bring Brio AT to India.

The i10 Auto is a really good car for city use. We bought it as the second car for the missus .... but after a while started using it as our primary car inspite of the fact that the mileage was around 8 - 9 kmpl. The convenience far out weighed the fuel cost penalty. We used it for about a year and a half and did not face a single issue during the time.

Tip : On road price was 5.05 lakhs (2009) but I picked up my vehicle in the third week of Dec for 4.60 lakhs including a vendor discount (about Rs 5-10 K) after 3 weeks of haggling with two dealers.

Last edited by Zed : 13th November 2011 at 11:48.
Old 14th November 2011, 12:10   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors

Would you prefer to buy a diesel automatic within 6 lacs. Say a figo or a spark.

The diesel automatic would give higher fuel average than petrol since the torque is higher which does not not need often gear shifts.
Old 14th November 2011, 14:31   #124
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommie View Post
Would you prefer to buy a diesel automatic within 6 lacs. Say a figo or a spark.

The diesel automatic would give higher fuel average than petrol since the torque is higher which does not not need often gear shifts.
The Spark does not come in a diesel variant. Also, the Figo diesel does not have an AT option. In fact, there is not a single diesel hatch yet in India having an AT option.
Old 14th November 2011, 14:37   #125
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
The i10 Auto is a really good car for city use. We bought it as the second car for the missus .... but after a while started using it as our primary car inspite of the fact that the mileage was around 8 - 9 kmpl. The convenience far out weighed the fuel cost penalty. We used it for about a year and a half and did not face a single issue during the time.

Tip : On road price was 5.05 lakhs (2009) but I picked up my vehicle in the third week of Dec for 4.60 lakhs including a vendor discount (about Rs 5-10 K) after 3 weeks of haggling with two dealers.
Wow! That's one hell of a deal you got on the i10 AT.

I think it costs more than 6.3 lakhs currently here in Bangalore.
Old 14th November 2011, 14:46   #126
BANNED

The only small petrols continue to be the Hyundai's - i10 and i20. The Hyundai AT is however quite poor. I will not go back to the rough 3 potters so the AStar is out.

There were rumours that the Brio may get an AT some day - most of the publicity pics were of the AT (CVT). Now that the 1.2 barrier for small cars has been breached why not have AT cars as well. I hope they provide this option. I for one have switched to two AT cars (no manuals) in mid 2010. I am sure the market may be bigger than they think. Give an AT Brio or Etios and, pronto, I say goodbye to my Santro!
Old 14th November 2011, 14:58   #127
BHPian

For anyone considering the i10 AT , FE is probably the only issue which could be a dealbreaker. As reported by many on this forum, including me, the FE ranges between 8-9.

However, this winter, I've got the opportunity to test FE without AC again, now that the car is run in.

And FE, without AC is 11 (No change in bunk, psi 32) consistently over 3 fills , which IMO is fairly decent wrt competition.

Probably the AC, while being a chiller, isnt that efficient while at it.
Old 15th November 2011, 13:29   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
The Spark does not come in a diesel variant. Also, the Figo diesel does not have an AT option. In fact, there is not a single diesel hatch yet in India having an AT option.
I know that there is no diesel automatic hatch other than i20 in India. I was asking an open question to understand the market demand as the automobile manufacturers in India does not believe there is a case for a diesel hatchback in India.

Last edited by Tommie : 15th November 2011 at 13:33.
Old 15th November 2011, 14:15   #129
BANNED

I think high taxation on imported boxes also has a role to play.
Old 15th November 2011, 14:52   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know that there is no diesel automatic hatch other than i20 in India. I was asking an open question to understand the market demand as the automobile manufacturers in India does not believe there is a case for a diesel hatchback in India.
There is no diesel automatic hatch in India....period.
Not even the i20 diesel comes in an automatic version. The autobox is only for the petrol so there is no i2o diesel automatic available in India.
V-16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2011, 15:42   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
There is no diesel automatic hatch in India....period.
Not even the i20 diesel comes in an automatic version. The autobox is only for the petrol so there is no i2o diesel automatic available in India.
I have created a marketing survey for the new car buying options. Please answer this survey and help me build this Diesel automatic car requirement Click here to take survey
Old 15th November 2011, 16:04   #132
Senior - BHPian

Completed the survey but its not accurate. There should have been more fields and the car options at the end were lame. Most of them will never be made with a diesel.
V-16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2011, 16:06   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Completed the survey but its not accurate. There should have been more fields and the car options at the end were lame. Most of them will never be made with a diesel.
Thanks for filling the survey. The last option is to understand the customer preference whether on the diesel model or the actual body/looks such as many customers wanting Jazz to be diesel or Nano to be diesel. There are certain analysis planned with the results.
Old 15th November 2011, 16:18   #134
Senior - BHPian

A believe there was a crdi Nano on the cards. A little birdie also told me that Tata may go automatic with the Indica and then the Indigo and even the Nano.

I believe the time for an automatic option in almost every variant and segment has arrived.
Old 15th November 2011, 23:26   #135
BHPian

Quote:
I have created a marketing survey for the new car buying options. Please answer this survey and help me build this Diesel automatic car requirement Click here to take survey
I have also written a blog on the same topic
Irrational World: Small Diesel Automatic cars in India

Please respond to the Survey soon. This is a completely anonymous survey which does not capture any of your personal contact details. The free survey allows only a maximum of 100 responses.

Last edited by Tommie : 15th November 2011 at 23:40.
Tommie is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed