Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2011, 17:16   #136
BHPian

Re: Automatic small car options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
That is true. But yes the I10AT with the Kappa2 is really worth the buy.
From engine and space point of view no beating this one!
There is only one challenger anyway!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
The i10 Auto is a really good car for city use. We bought it as the second car for the missus .... but after a while started using it as our primary car inspite of the fact that the mileage was around 8 - 9 kmpl. The convenience far out weighed the fuel cost penalty. We used it for about a year and a half and did not face a single issue during the time.

Tip : On road price was 5.05 lakhs (2009) but I picked up my vehicle in the third week of Dec for 4.60 lakhs including a vendor discount (about Rs 5-10 K) after 3 weeks of haggling with two dealers.
I agree. Do we have any other options other than the puny A-star? No right.

Also, we all very well know of the steering issues and the bumpy ride quality of the i10. And trust me, maintaining a Hyundai and has become seriously costly affair these days (I already have a i20). I also remember someone posting about Hyundai charging almost 40K(?) when the gear box conked off.

But, as said earlier, since we dont have a choice, will have to stick with i10 for now.

@Zed: Which model you got? Sportz AT costs 6lacs OTR currently in Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The only small petrols continue to be the Hyundai's - i10 and i20. The Hyundai AT is however quite poor. I will not go back to the rough 3 potters so the AStar is out.

There were rumours that the Brio may get an AT some day - most of the publicity pics were of the AT (CVT). Now that the 1.2 barrier for small cars has been breached why not have AT cars as well.
Exactly my point. Brio AT would've been awesome. Do they still offer the AT on Santro?

i20 AT is way too costly.
Old 17th November 2011, 17:42   #137
BHPian

My 2 bits on my i10 Magna Auto.

This is the smallest (out of 11 cars I have every owned - biggest being a 4 liter Ford Explorer, plus a couple of Mercs, a Nissan X-Trail and a Peugeot 207 CC etc) and the easiest to drive.

It slides through traffic, very easy to park, very comfortable and can be driven on "auto-pilot" mode in Calcutta roads with minimal attention being paid to the car.

With a gentle foot on the gas pedal I get 9 KMpL, but on the highway I get 15.

Yes, the car is a bit expensive, and the FE is a little low, but with an average monthly run of around 1,000 KM I really don't mind.
Old 18th November 2011, 13:56   #138
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors View Post

@Zed: Which model you got? Sportz AT costs 6lacs OTR currently in Bangalore.
It was the base AT model. If im not mistaken the sport was about Rs 6L OTR (Chennai) back then (Dec 2008). I had absolutely zero maintenance costs for the two odd years that we used the car. Did not know what the post warranty situation would have been - although I did invest in an extended warranty since it was my first Automatic (discounting my battered Ki-Ho from 12th garde .

I was in touch with the gentleman that I sold my car to on a few occasion. Perhaps I should check with him to see how the car has fared since he picked it about a year and a half ago.
Old 18th November 2011, 15:33   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benu9714 View Post
My 2 bits on my i10 Magna Auto.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
It was the base AT model.
I do not think Magna AT is available now. After the new Kappa series engines, they offer AT only on Sportz and Asta models.

Let me double check to be sure.
Old 18th November 2011, 16:55   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors View Post
I do not think Magna AT is available now. After the new Kappa series engines, they offer AT only on Sportz and Asta models.

Let me double check to be sure.
You are right. Magna AT was discontinued after launching the new Kappa engines.
Old 18th November 2011, 17:47   #141
BHPian

Sorry, my mistake. My car is the Asta AT, not Magna. Yes, it has the kappa engine. I bought it in and January this year.
Old 19th November 2011, 23:25   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommie View Post
I have created a marketing survey for the new car buying options. Please answer this survey and help me build this Diesel automatic car requirement Click here to take survey
The survey is still open for all those planning to buy a small car segment and interested for posting your request for a diesel automatic specially. If you submitting replies now, I have opened up the results view for you to get a pulse of how other people are responding.
Old 7th December 2011, 12:14   #143
BHPian

I test drove A* Auto yesterday and found it to be spacious enough. I am replacing the santro xing and found the A* to have more space than santro. Also test drove the i10 which is a nice car but the interiors didn't click for me. I also found the i10 to be very tall and bouncy.

I have big cars for highway runs and I need A* only for city runs. The pick up was good better than my santro but you have to kick the accelerator twice before it gets in kick down mode. Anyways I am not looking at racing or highway drives with A*.

The brakes on A* are much better than i10 or for that matter even swift VDi.
The music system is ok and will do the job.
The driver height adjust is needed for my wife and ABS can be a life saver. On top of this I am getting 27k discount and 17k exchange bonus. The on road price is 4.61lacs mumbai which is killer pricing.

Take into account the higher purchase cost of i10, long term maintenance cost, fuel efficiency the A* looks like a clear winner. The 3 pot engine is just a psychological barrier.
Old 9th December 2011, 22:26   #144
BHPian

I have been looking to buy a small automatic car for my wife and currently confused between Hyundai i10 and Maruti A*. Though I am slightly inclined towards maruti A*, I heard some not so positive feedbacks. It would be great if anyone who has been using it could share their actual experience. My wife would be using the car just for the city drive and I would be happy to hear if there are any other suggestions which fits my requirement. My budget is ~ 5 Lakhs

Thanks a lot in advance.
Old 23rd December 2011, 10:47   #145
BHPian

I have booked the A* Auto and the car should be delivered by next week. I got 30k discount + goodies. My primary criteria were
  • Small hatchback
  • Automatic
  • Good mileage
  • Easy to maintain
  • Mostly driven by ladies
  • I am ok with a 3 pot engine (no racing intended)
My santro used to give me less mileage (7kmpl) because of poor gear changes (driven by wife who believes in changing gear if necessary). I am sure the auto will give improved mileage. Also I am okay with a non existent boot space since I have Innova, Accord and Swift to fill in when required.

Eagerly waiting for delivery scheduled on Thursday.

P.S. - i10 was rejected on the basis of being more expensive, lesser mileage, lack of ABS in sports model, i also felt the rear bench in i10 is much narrower and choppy ride quality.
Old 13th January 2012, 12:19   #146
Senior - BHPian

Planning to get a car for wife who wants to drive sometimes in city. I was exploring and going through the thread for Small Car AT options. I could see we have only two options - i10 and A* - as of now. It will be purely for driving within city.

Though i feel A* may be a good bet - though cramped - my wife may go in for i10 which "looks" better.

Still confused. Can you guys help me decide?
Old 13th January 2012, 12:45   #147
Senior - BHPian

@vinucv, there are now many A*-AT owners on the forum including me, scuderiaferrari & others. Check out our LTRs to clear your doubts.

@tazmaan, congrats on the A*-AT. BTW, was your Santro also AT ? Asking because the FE of 7kmpl you mentioned seems to low for an MT.

@Fauji, no point wasting time - looks like the decision is made. By your wife ie.
The i10-AT is a good car with comparitively better looks, slightly more interior space and better boot space. Not to forget, a 4-cyl 1.2 litre engine. Negatives of the i10 are the extra you will pay over the A* since it is available only in Sportz trim. Plus it does not have ABS & has poor FE compared to the A*-AT.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 13th January 2012 at 12:46.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2012, 14:47   #148
BANNED

It is indeed sad that there is no AT in the i10+ segment of hatchbacks except for the i20. I could see some logic in not having an AT with the 1.2litre engine size limit (though how is the Jazz at 90 bhp underpowered is beyond me). Now that many vendors are offering 1.2+ engines in the sub-4metre category, the absence of an AT is still more appalling.

The Hyundai (3+1) AT is a very poor box by modern standards. I am sure if someone; Honda, Toyota, VW, Skoda,FIAT to name a few, were to bring in an AT in the hatch segment they will have a best seller on their hands.

Last edited by sgiitk : 13th January 2012 at 14:49.
Old 13th January 2012, 15:02   #149
BHPian

I don't know how much localization has gone into the Honda Jazz in India. Jazz bookings have taken a beating because the company says it has difficulty in sourcing parts from Thailand (is it Thailand?). If they source so much parts, why can't they bring the automatic transmission component (CVT I believe) in CKD also? Don't they have the Asian Free Trade Agreement policy handy for cheaper CKD? Honda, we fail to understand you

Pradeep

Last edited by pradkumar : 13th January 2012 at 15:12.
Old 13th January 2012, 15:12   #150
BANNED

@pradkumar; Not so long ago we were cursing the Jazz for being over priced and unpopular. I hear that they have managed to at least partly fix the parts issue for both the Jazz and Brio. I saw a Brio demo car day before yesterday for the first time. Globally the Jazz (or Fit) has a 1.4 litre engine and AT is very popular. At one time Honda did announce a 1.5 with the AT to follow. After about a year they withdrew this advisory.

I agree they can easily bring in an AT for the Jazz/Brio. remember all the pre-launch pictures of the Brio were with an AT (CVT by the looks of it). Even now what stops Honda from selling the Brio/Jazz AT made to special order! I will be one of the first to get into the queue.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks