Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2012, 14:29   #166
BANNED

Re: Automatic small car options?

@vid6639; I have heard some vague rumours that Honda may have something up their sleeve by December.

As for the i10 I will expect around 9kpl with the AC - same as my Santro. I did see in the thread from the pics as well as a PM exchange that the i20 seems to be getting a proper 4-speed box. I think I saw a picture also with the proper gate and 3 adjascent to D (means you can switch by pushing the lever). I am unable to locate the post with the pics, but here is one comment from him, "Jet a correction: 4 speed AT in i20 is different than Santro's 3+1. This one is newer generation and is much better than the old slush box. Even the same is on export models to EU. I would rate it better than Dzire's AT." I hope he will excuse me for posting a PM which we normally refrain from.
Old 21st May 2012, 13:07   #167
BHPian

Is the automatic santro still available. On the website the auto is not listed in the price list
Old 21st May 2012, 15:05   #168
BANNED

@honda_dude; Santro AT is history. Also, I saw in another thread that the best you may expect to get out of an i20AT (14 gamma engine) is 8kpl in town! This is worse than what I get out of my 1.8L Civic AT and will definitely be beaten hollow by the City!
Old 31st May 2012, 00:01   #169
BHPian

Wanted to gift dad an i10 AT for his 75th birthday next month, and was pretty convinced about the choice compared to an A* - basically going by the looks of the i10 and experience with an i10 MT owned by my friend... but after reading the absymally low fuel efficiency numbers on this thread, and the cost of petrol as it is right now... dad might actually refuse to accept my gift

Should I go for an A* instead of the i10?

I do want it to be an AT - else the Figo would be a good choice, given that we are a Ford family.

Any suggestions guys?
Old 31st May 2012, 09:10   #170
BANNED

Some big news. Look at the pics

Honda to launch diesel Brio by Diwali Photos | Pictures - Yahoo! News India

The Transmission is an AT (almost certainly a CVT)
Old 31st May 2012, 09:20   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post

I have posted this on the other thread also: Pictures are that of the regular petrol Brio which were posted at the time of launching in Indonesia. Do you think they would ave released the pictures of Diesel Brio to the media?
Guna is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 09:38   #172
BANNED

@Guna; I did hear vague rumours about something happening on the AT front by the end of the year. So who knows, 'Horses may fly'.
Old 31st May 2012, 09:42   #173
BHPian

Quote:

This is good news.

And if it indeed happens Brio would have the longest queue in the small car category, with me in it. There is a market for small automatics and i10 & A* is riding it despite disappointing performance & dismal mileage. Its time Honda wakes up and take note.
Old 31st May 2012, 09:59   #174
BANNED

@alabjarus; If it is an AT (whether Petrol or Diesel, former preferred) I am joining the queue as soon as they announce. If the rumour mill is to be believed the Diesel may even be a three potter.
Old 31st May 2012, 11:16   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Guna; I did hear vague rumours about something happening on the AT front by the end of the year. So who knows, 'Horses may fly'.
Petrol AT (CVT), it is a very high probability.
Old 31st May 2012, 11:19   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddheshb
Wanted to gift dad an i10 AT for his 75th birthday next month, and was pretty convinced about the choice compared to an A* - basically going by the looks of the i10 and experience with an i10 MT owned by my friend... but after reading the absymally low fuel efficiency numbers on this thread, and the cost of petrol as it is right now... dad might actually refuse to accept my gift Should I go for an A* instead of the i10?
While FE is indeed an issue with the i10, it has better ingress and egress - a big factor for the elderly and would apply to you since your Dad is going to use it. Other than that, the A* would have fitted your requirements well. So checkout both cars and make a decision. Also there is news of a Brio-AT coming out soon - but it might not come in time for your Dad's birthday.

BTW, your location shows as Goa and you guys pay much less than anyone else in India for fuel due to the state Govt giving up its share of the taxes. So, why bother so much about petrol price ?
Old 31st May 2012, 14:33   #177
Senior - BHPian

I remember similar kind of reports around the same time last year. Car blogs and websites rife with rumours about the facelifted Jazz and an automatic version. In the end it was a complete anti-climax for folk like me itching to buy an AT Jazz. :(
Old 31st May 2012, 16:51   #178
BHPian

The fuel economy numbers of these so-called modern hatches are quite surprising!
I have a 1997 Zen AT which consistently gives me 8.5 kmpl in Chennai traffic with the a/c on all the time!! And it is a 15 year old carbed engine!!
I would have thought the modern vehicles with modern engine and transmission technologies would perform better - but apparently not!!
We need more competition and stricter regulation - thats the only way we will see better figures.
Old 31st May 2012, 17:16   #179
Senior - BHPian

^^^ To start with, we have only 3 "so-called modern hatches" with AT currently - the A_Star, i10 and i20. And of these the A_Star-AT has very good FE for an AT - people have reported 12+ in Blore traffic with a/c. The i10-AT does seem to have low FE and I guess not much is known about the i20-AT's FE (not many own it on the forum I guess, though I have spotted a couple on Chennai roads).

Once the Honda Brio and Jazz come in with AT, there would be some choice for the customer. Hyundai could have retained the Santro-AT or atleast given an AT option in the Eon.
Old 31st May 2012, 21:53   #180
BHPian

If you go by Joyneel M (car reviewer with CNBC) Honda Brio is expected in August priced around 5.5L. (Twitter / JoyneelM: Honda to launch Brio Autom) (Not sure if the link will point to the exact tweet).
How much mileage would you expect from it?
kmadhok is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed