Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2012, 05:33   #196
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadFiend
We are looking for a second car, primarily for the wife. Requirements:
1) Automatic (translation, ease of driving).
2) Small (ease of parking)
3) Ride Comfort (our current car being an Optra)
4) After Sales Service (minimal hassles, easy to maintain)
With only A-star, i10, i20 as AT-hatch options, there's not much choice.

Chanced upon Dzire-AT and this seems to be neck-to-neck with i20 for all the above points. In fact, can Dzire-AT be better on #3 ?

Local dealerships tell me that they have ready stock in various colours. However no dealer has a Dzire-AT for test drive. Seemingly, one has to buy without Test Drive! Apparently, none on tBHP has obtained one yet either.

Almost about to take the plunge for Dzire-AT. Any recommendations?
The DZire is more comfortable than an I20 if someone else is doing the driving and one is sitting about as a passenger.

For self drive, personally I would choose the I20 any day if I had the budget.

Else I would choose the I10 or the A Star.

Since this is for your wife, She just might prefer the cute little A Star Or the Style and ubercool-ness of the I20.

The DZire doesnt cut it at all from a style angle and the I10 is nowhere near as sassy as the I 20.
Old 27th June 2012, 08:11   #197
BHPian

Re: Automatic small car options?

shankar.balan - Thank you for the insightful observations.

The Dzire-AT is 8.11L OTR (no discounts). The i20-AT is 9.34L OTR (and 35k discount thereafter). So it's costlier by 88k. I made a brief inspection of what that gets i20-AT (Sportz trim) over the Dzire-AT (VXi trim):
  1. One airbag (driver).
  2. Steering mounted audio and bluetooth controls.
  3. Parking assist (rear sensor\camera and display on RVM).
  4. Rain sensing wipers.
  5. Alloy wheels.
  6. Automatic AC.
  7. Cluster ionizer (clean air).
  8. Electrically foldable mirrors.
  9. Rear defogger with timer.
  10. 60:40 split rear seat.

Advantage i20 then ?
Old 27th June 2012, 10:07   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadFiend View Post

Almost about to take the plunge for Dzire-AT. Any recommendations?
IMO Dzire-AT is a very good choice. I had a look at the car (did not drive it) when hey had a camp in our office campus. Besides having a very well made interior (black-biege combination is really nice) Dzire should score over i20 in the fun to drive factor. It could have stiffer ride then i20 but should feel more planted at higher speeds.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2012, 11:59   #199
BANNED

I am inclined to support Guna. One more point the Dzire should be more economical than the i20, and definitely cheaper to maintain given the attitude of Hyundai A$$.

However, I am waiting for the Brio AT expected latest by October.
Old 27th June 2012, 12:46   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna
IMO Dzire-AT is a very good choice. I had a look at the car (did not drive it) when hey had a camp in our office campus. Besides having a very well made interior (black-biege combination is really nice) Dzire should score over i20 in the fun to drive factor. It could have stiffer ride then i20 but should feel more planted at higher speeds.
One main issue I have with the Dzire-AT is the price difference over the equivalent MT trim (Vxi). The extra cost is ~1.2lakh and that is IMO too much of a premium to ask for just the AT box & ABS. Normally the AT box + ABS combo commands a 40-50K premium (eg in the A-STar-AT) which is OK, but to ask more than double that extra is too much. I am also looking at the Dzire-AT for my Dad, but this hiiiigh premium puts me off.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 27th June 2012 at 13:01.
Old 29th June 2012, 07:22   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
... Dzire should score over i20 in the fun to drive factor. It could have stiffer ride then i20 but should feel more planted at higher speeds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I am inclined to support Guna. One more point the Dzire should be more economical than the i20, and definitely cheaper to maintain given the attitude of Hyundai A$$.
Cheaper A$$ should translate to Dzire-AT becoming even more cheaper to own than i20-AT (OTR prices differ by 88k currently). More fun to drive would be a bonus! Any thoughts on which will carry better resale value - i20-AT or Dzire-AT ?

I went to the showroom and sat inside the Dzire-AT (no AT vehicle for TD yet). They said they sold more than 20 AT Dzires since launch from that showroom itself! The beige interior is beautiful! Of course, it'll be a dust magnet. The looks of this one is growing on me...
Old 29th June 2012, 09:55   #202
Senior - BHPian

^^^With the way petrol-cars hit dust as far as resale is concerned (due to recent Rs7 petrol price hike), things would not be getting better in the future as far as resale of petrol cars is concerned. Unless diesel prices are brought to par with petrol, which is highly unlikely. Or diesel cars have a stiff tax applied on them - again not very likely. And with the transmission being AT (considered lesser FE), resale would not be something to look forward to.
Old 13th July 2012, 21:08   #203
BANNED

guys,

so i read about the possibility of the Brio AT in the near future. But other than that are there any rumors/confirmed news of any other small car AT options coming up in next 6 months - 2 yrs time.. ?

thanks.
Old 14th July 2012, 08:30   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
guys,

so i read about the possibility of the Brio AT in the near future. But other than that are there any rumors/confirmed news of any other small car AT options coming up in next 6 months - 2 yrs time.. ?

thanks.
I am also interested in Brio with a slushbox - and somehow I have the feeling that Honda might release the Diesel and AT versions of Brio together.
There is news in the market that TATA is in the process of acquiring AT boxes/technology from China.
who knows that a MJD Vista AT is not in the cards 6-12 months from now

Last edited by blackasta : 14th July 2012 at 08:32.
Old 16th July 2012, 12:40   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
guys,

thanks.
In 6 months I do not expect anything other than the Brio. 2 yrs is a very long time frame. I would definitely expect (read hope) more smaller hatchback to be available in the AT form. I feel the growing traffic in cities will increase the demand for them. FE may be low but there definitely is a growing demand for AT.
Old 17th July 2012, 06:35   #206
BHPian

You can think of A Star AT. It is cheaper to buy, being Maruti should be cheaper to maintain, good engine, and the members also reported good FE.
Old 17th July 2012, 09:09   #207
BANNED

Brio AT is almost certain to be launched during the forthcoming festive season.
Old 17th July 2012, 22:52   #208
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Brio AT is almost certain to be launched during the forthcoming festive season.
yes i'm surely excited for the Brio AT. i hope it comes out in the V trim with all the features.

i'm also keenly looking at the i10 AT Asta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
You can think of A Star AT. It is cheaper to buy, being Maruti should be cheaper to maintain, good engine, and the members also reported good FE.
yes we have owned maruti cars in our family. i had 800 long ago and currently have swift vdi . both have been excellent cars.

i have read wonderful reviews of the Astar AT. Is it possible that i can place a custom order with maruti to make me a A-Star AT with the ZXI Opt package...?!? i really want the airbags and other features of the top model. Do they entertain custom requests ?

Maruti Suzuki A-Star: Stop at nothing with KB series Engine

Last edited by rana_kirti : 17th July 2012 at 22:54.
Old 17th July 2012, 23:13   #209
Senior - BHPian

Custom requests would be tough, if not impossible AFAIK. But they export lots of A-Stars (which would have airbags for sure) and maybe if you have the right contacts, you could snag one of them for yourself - not sure how easy this is though, but remember reading about such a possibility here. But exports would be LHD and those can't be used here I think.

I also so wish they would use the ZXi trim to add the AT, instead of the VXi. Would have been good to have airbags on our A*-AT and would have gladly paid for it.
Old 10th August 2012, 18:31   #210
BHPian

After 3 long months of TD'ing almost every small car in the market, we had finalized on an A-Star Automatic (the ease of city driving was the clincher). But now came the spanner in the works; Maruti's Manesar Plant Woes. As a result, all the dealers I have tried in Bangalore (Pratham, Mandovi, RNS, Garuda, Leo, Bimal) have said that they do not have any Automatic A-Stars in stock (plus some of them said that the White colour was a 'Metallic' shade

Anyways, the problem now comes, how long should I wait? The sales guy from Pratham said that a new shipment was coming (from which factory he could not say) and that the vehicle would be ready in 30 days, but I have my doubts, esp when no other dealer is committing a time frame. Of course, the only other Auto choice in the price range (thought a bit over budget) is the i10 Sportz AT. I liked that one, but wanted the A-Star as:

1. It was cheaper (around 80k cheaper after discounts)
2. The reported FE of 10 Automatic owners was too low for me (anything below 10kpl is a real wallet burn). I shall cover around 700km per month in city traffic, with perhaps a short drive once a month.

Should I bite the bullet and go for the i10 AT, as Maruti dealers, and indeed, the regional office, cannot commit a timeline, and if so, how much are the discounts going on i10's (I guess it is a lot, I heard 40k total discounts for PSU employees).

I know, by Diwali, a Brio AT may come, but Mom isn't really enthused by the Brio's low seating position (the height adjustment in the A-Star was a clincher).

Last edited by avi550m : 10th August 2012 at 18:40. Reason: Spelling error

Most Viewed