Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2006, 10:20   #16
Team-BHP Support

There is a saying "Out of the frying pan into the fire". Thats what Tata-Fiat combo is. You scared of turbo indica, there are many people who have had worse expiriences with their palios. In all cases it was not the car which was at fault, it was the ***.
As for Palio D it costs 5.5 lakhs. So why not spend an extra lakh (1300rs emi) and get the hyundai.
If anybody asks me for advice about a sub 5L diesel car, I ask them to wait for a few months. with the new excise normas hyundai is definately bringing out the getz diesel. Its too tempting a segment to resist.
Petrol hatchbak market has so many offerings, not the diesel hatchback. You have to choose between the devil and the deep sea. If you cant wait, try to spend a lakh more. If you are on a hatchback budget, Palio D is already out of your reach
Old 15th June 2006, 10:39   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
There is a saying "Out of the frying pan into the fire". Thats what Tata-Fiat combo is. You scared of turbo indica, there are many people who have had worse expiriences with their palios. In all cases it was not the car which was at fault, it was the ***.
TSK, Can you please name some people who had worse expereinces with Palio? Just because you have some aversion towards Fiat and Palio, you are trying to undermine a Car and the Company without any justification.
You can suggest a Car to the thread initiator and highlight its good points.
Let him evaluate the available options and then decide!
Old 15th June 2006, 10:54   #18
Team-BHP Support

I dont have any aversion to Tata or Fiat as companies. I just dont like companies who ignore their customers after selling the product. As for people. there is a beautiful 1.2 in our family that is suffering because of dealers attitude. Here's a hint. Go to google. Put in a search for
1. Tata indica problems
2. Fiat palio problems
3. Hyndai accent problems.

You will find lots of links for 1 & 2 and lesser number for 3. No amount of Fanboyism is going to make Fiat or Tata A.S.S problems vanish. I own a tata indica since 2002, and inspite of that I would say the competition is better. But yes if I had 4 lakhs to spend and 100kms a day to drive, I would have to buy an indica, because there is no other choice. Same is with lots of people. When you dont have any choice you choose an option which is not upto the mark.
Now this does not make that product good.
And then you have the sales charts. Why dont Fiat Ds sell as much as Tata indica even though Fiat D is better? Yes I am saying Fiat is a better car, I am not downgrading Palio as such, all I am saying is that the company has repeatedly failed to take care of its customers.

As for the thread initiater, all I will tell him is that if he is really tight on cash go for the indica otherwise wait or save up 1.5 lakh extra and pick up the new verna when it comes in sept. If thats not the option, indica will be a better bet due to better A.S.S.
Old 15th June 2006, 11:13   #19
Senior - BHPian

Tsk, You can call me biased since I own a Fiat. But, to be honest, I have not heard horror stories for Palio. I have heard a few for Uno, but rarely one for Palio. Few friends, who owned Uno and then Palio, say that number of problems drastically reduced in Palio compared to Uno. A/S/S is probably nothing great to write about, but then not as bad as it is made out to be.
Old 15th June 2006, 12:27   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango
HI All

I am planning to buy a car next week. I was driving a Bolero for the past 5 yrs but now i really do not require a SUV type car. I am looking out only at the Diesel Segment...I have the indica nd the palio in my mind. I will be using it every day to commute some 50 odd KM, and would be disposing it after some 3 yrs. Pls suggest which car should i go for ??

PS: Can someone tell me abt the indica Turbo !! have less knowledge on it

Thanks

Jango !!
Considering your requirements, the Indica Turbo is the ideal car. I wouldnt recommend an Indica when the Turbo version is around because the latter addresses the Indica's biggest drawback and that is the lack of low-end grunt.

Since we are comparing diesels, the Palio D is out of the picture when you consider the Indica turbo which has more power, torque and is definitely zippier (relative term, considering diesels only).

My dealer considers the Indica Turbo a success because he's seeing many more private buyers now going for the Indica.

Last edited by Steeroid : 15th June 2006 at 12:32.
Old 15th June 2006, 12:45   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Since we are comparing diesels, the Palio D is out of the picture when you consider the Indica turbo which has more power, torque and is definitely zippier (relative term, considering diesels only).
For your kind information, Palio D is the Diesel version of Palio. And it has a 1.9 super-refined engine, which delivers loads of Power and Torque to zip you around!
Old 15th June 2006, 12:47   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp
For your kind information, Palio D is the Diesel version of Palio. And it has a 1.9 super-refined engine, which delivers loads of Power and Torque to zip you around!
Huh when did that engine become super refined Zippy engine?! Its got torque, but in terms of performance the indica turbo will run rings around it. Okay if you are talking exteremly low revs, the Palio may perform marginally better, but in normal commuting, the performance does not compare to indi turbo. Dont belive me though, look up the 0-100 and 40-100, 20-80 accleration figures in either overdrive/autocar/BSM.
Old 15th June 2006, 12:56   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Power & Torque figures for the Indica turbo are higher (68 PS@4500 rpm and 130nm@2500 rpm Vs 63 PS@4500rpm and 120nm @ 2500 rpm). The Palio D is not a super refined engine by any stretch of imagination - the Indica Turbo, on the other hand, seems much smoother.

The Indica also has more usable room and the rear seats are more comfortable for passengers.
Old 15th June 2006, 13:06   #24
Senior - BHPian

Please test-drive a Palio D and then post your comments on the Power, Torque, Space, Build Quality and Ride Comfort offered by Palio D.
Old 15th June 2006, 13:09   #25
Senior - BHPian

Indica Turbo Palio D
kph/Sec 2nd 3nd 4nd 5nd 2nd 3nd 4nd 5nd
20-40 2.8 8.24 - - 3.1 4.9 6.7 -
40-60 2.7 4.21 8.7 15.32 3.7 4.3 6.3 9.5
60-80 - 4.2 5.72 8.78 - 5.5 6.1 9.3
80-100 - 5.27 6.51 8.34 - 3.8 7.7 10.7

20-80 (3rd gear) 16.69 14.70
40-100 (4th gear) 20.93 20.10

Speed kph

0-100 15.45 19.55

Please pardon my formatting.

These are the figures I got from www.indiacar.com. Apparently, this is from the autocar comparison test between the two.

From this, I can say that in the dash to 0-100kph, Indica turbo is way ahead of Palio D. But when it comes to in-gear acceleration, Palio D matches and in some cases, betters Indica Turbo.
Old 15th June 2006, 13:13   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Power & Torque figures for the Indica turbo are higher (68 PS@4500 rpm and 130nm@2500 rpm Vs 63 PS@4500rpm and 120nm @ 2500 rpm). The Palio D is not a super refined engine by any stretch of imagination - the Indica Turbo, on the other hand, seems much smoother.

The Indica also has more usable room and the rear seats are more comfortable for passengers.

having owned and driven an indica turbo , I can tell u that this car rocks on the h/w. But in city, esp. with the AC on, the car can be a bit of a pain. Numbers dont always tell teh story.

130 Nm @2500 rpm for sure, but below 2000 RPM,there is hardly any power. and for a diesel in city, teh operating band is generally 100 - 3000 rpm. Beyond 2000 RPM, when teh turbo kicks in, power delivery is quite abrupt.

On the H/W, it is a different animal altogether and can shame cars much higher in price.

So I feel for city diving, the Palio D may be better. But since I have not driven a palio D9Only been a passenger), I cant comment on hte performance of that car.

as far as refinement levels go, teh Palio D is definitely more refined than the Indica, and in the ELX version, the interior quality and trim is definitely a couple of notches higher than the indica
Old 15th June 2006, 13:24   #27
BHPian

Hi Evry one

TATA has qualiy issues wether any one agrees or not ....compare an year old indica with a Palio......u can esaly notice the diffrence ,Indica would be junked out but palio would be as good as new .

Coming to the after sales service part ...TATA is servcing disel palio...they are pretty good at it .....one can buy a palio thru FIAt dealer..

Test drive a Palio.......then come and post ........just dont B*** Sh** saying that palio is not a good car

I repeat My self Once gain like i did in one of previos post

Ät least the Palio's are not been given away with chaddi;s (vip chaddi lae gaddi offer )

Palio is way ahead of all the small cars available in the country ..

God bless!!!!!

Peace
Old 15th June 2006, 13:30   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please test-drive a Palio D and then post your comments on the Power, Torque, Space, Build Quality and Ride Comfort offered by Palio D.
I test drove one when it was launched, and I regularly drive one belong to one of my friends.

I still feel that for the gentleman in question and for his specific requirements, the Indica Turbo is a much better bet. It also lets you sleep in peace, not wondering where its next oil-change will come from.

I've said my piece and will refrain from making or responding to subjective or emotional comments.
Old 15th June 2006, 13:38   #29
Senior - BHPian

Probably the thread starter has run away by now.

Both cars are good in their own way. Test drive both of them and choose the one you are impressed with.
Old 15th June 2006, 13:46   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani
Probably the thread starter has run away by now.
You bet

Considering our penchant for getting into big fights over touchy topics like Fiats, I am sure we would have scare the hell out of him.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks