Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2006, 14:03   #31
Senior - BHPian

I own a Palio D and love to drive that car both on Highways and city. It has a very good handling though ride is on the stiffer side. I enjoy pushing the car in to turns. The engine has lots of torque and pickup is decent unless you are comparing it against Accent CRDI. On the highways, this car can easily keep up with bigger cars like Optra and Innova. Gear shift is short and precise. Non turbo Indica's gear shift is awful. Don't know how it is in Turbo version.

I never drove Indica turbo or raced against one. So can't compare. Recently i suggested my best friend to check Indica turbo. He went to the dealership with almost decision made to buy the car, but once he sat in the car, he changed his decision not to buy the car for it's interiors. Many people say same words about Palio's interiors. But to me, though the design is old styled from 90s, the plastics are of very good quality and is very functional. All the buttons are easily accessible and can get accustomed to them in a short time. The Euro 3 Palio D comes in beige interiors and matches well with the fake wooden strips on the dashboard.

The seats are good. But i felt Indica seats are more comfortable for the short time i sat in them. The Indica I drove has art leather seats with lots of cushioning. In other departments, though the Indica was newer than my Palio, my Palio is many times better.

The palio returns 12-13 KMPL mileage in city and 16 on highways. So far there were no troubles and whatever minor issues i had were attended well by Anuroop in Hyderabad. After sales service is not as bad as said by people who never visited a Palio service center. The spares are sometimes not available off the shelf but delaer gets them quickly from the company.

When driving the Palio, I still feel as excited as i felt when it was new. It's almost 2 years since i bought this car and will want to own it for another 4-5 years.

Last edited by satish_appasani : 15th June 2006 at 14:06.
Old 15th June 2006, 14:22   #32
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Satish, Your ownership report above says it all !!!
Cheers !!!
Old 15th June 2006, 14:35   #33
BHPian

Hi people

My intention is not put a nother another manufature down ...but at the same time we need to make sure we suggest a car which suits the demad of that particular guy.....not by jumpping around saying that Indica is a bad car ..palio is bad car ...

just suggest and shut up...and not add extra frills to your suggestion .....
Old 15th June 2006, 15:56   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra
You bet

Considering our penchant for getting into big fights over touchy topics like Fiats, I am sure we would have scare the hell out of him.
@Goldie...am still here...i have got some very useful info from this thread so will be following it continously u see where i am coming from !!!
Old 15th June 2006, 16:31   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango
HI All

I am planning to buy a car next week. I was driving a Bolero for the past 5 yrs but now i really do not require a SUV type car. I am looking out only at the Diesel Segment...I have the indica nd the palio in my mind. I will be using it every day to commute some 50 odd KM, and would be disposing it after some 3 yrs. Pls suggest which car should i go for ??

PS: Can someone tell me abt the indica Turbo !! have less knowledge on it

Thanks

Jango !!
I do not know much about the Palio D.
I have a Turbo DLX. Using it since march '06.
Kms : 2600.
Kpl : 16 overall 80 % city 20 % highway.

I feel that the turbo is good value for money. You get a spacious car - build quality has vastly improved. The 14 inch tyres offer rock solid stability even at 125 kms.
I have not faced any problems till now. I can drive in 3rd gear at 30 kms very comfortably in city traffic. On the highways at about 2100 rpm the turbo kicks in and then Vrooooooooom - the car just flies - the ride is very smooth - the engine has reached its idela temp so it is very smooth.

However I find the A.C to be inadequate (the blowe is ok - but on hot days the A.C blows out warm air )-can't figure out if the gas/coolant needs to be refilled or if it is endemic to the turbo - will find out when the car goes to its first service at 5000 kms.

So overall I feel with the above mentioned report the turbo DLX is a very good buy at 4.20 L.
Old 15th June 2006, 18:50   #36
Senior - BHPian

I have driven neither of them extensively to offer a suggestion to you. I suggest that you take a test drive of both the cars and decide for yourself. Take a few extensive test drives, both in city limits and on the highways and see which one suits you better. Also, you can look at interiors and fit and finish and cost, etc and then decide.

If you are looking for fuel efficiency, then Indica turbo takes the cake. If you are looking for ride and handling, then Palio it is. I own the petrol version of Palio and I can vouch for the ride and handling. Hope that the diesel would be as good.

Do take the test drive of Indica Turbo within city limits as one of the members had suggested that it is not very driveable there. You can check for yourself to see if it is OK with you.

Also, take a test drive of Palio on the highways to see if you are OK with its power delivery.

All the best and happy hunting. Do let us know which way you decide.
Old 15th June 2006, 19:16   #37
BHPian

Thanks a lot guys for all the valuable information that has been passed on. In Kottayam we have the TVS Sundaram ( dealers for TVS), and aparently they are not know for gud service, now since TATA too services the palio things may change...i will be test driving the 2 cars shortly and will definitely keep all posted abt my decision...
Old 19th June 2006, 20:23   #38
BHPian

Hi all, after lots of thoughts, i have finally decided to go for the Indica. 2 reasons as to why i chose the indica
1) I would be using it max for 3 yrs after which i am planning to sell it, and i assume that i will have a trouble free indica for that period

2) Indica costs less than a Palio and Palio still has a very bad After sales service in kottayam.

I will post the pics once i get the car
Old 19th June 2006, 20:31   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango
Hi all, after lots of thoughts, i have finally decided to go for the Indica. 2 reasons as to why i chose the indica
1) I would be using it max for 3 yrs after which i am planning to sell it, and i assume that i will have a trouble free indica for that period

2) Indica costs less than a Palio and Palio still has a very bad After sales service in kottayam.

I will post the pics once i get the car
Congrates on you new car..I wont say best choice.. though I must say good rational decision.
Old 19th June 2006, 21:40   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp
Palio D all the way!
You will enjoy the Power and Torque of a super-refined 1.9 engine.
And all the other strengths of Palio - Build Quality, Safety, Ride Comfort, Space, Looks and now Service from Tata Motors.
compared to the indica turbo the palio D's engine is noway "super refined",super refined is what we call the tdci unit in fiesta,the palio's motor sometimes gets annoyingly boomy at highway speeds.
Old 19th June 2006, 21:56   #41
Senior - BHPian

For your purposes that seems a very logical decision. Nice choice.
Old 19th June 2006, 21:59   #42
BHPian

good luck with your Turbo...!
Old 20th June 2006, 09:48   #43
BHPian

hey jango, all the best with your turbo indi

and thats a very practical decision you made, considering your needs - since the resale returns of an indica will be anyday higher than the palio, and running costs will also be lower
Old 20th June 2006, 10:50   #44
Senior - BHPian

Good decision Jango. Enjoy the shopping experiance.
Old 20th June 2006, 17:50   #45
BHPian

I have always said, any product is good or bad for its price. Palio D, being almost 30% costlier than Indica Turbo, does not justify that price. Untill Indica Turbo has similar costing competition, it can't be beaten for it's value for Money proposition.
I think, Jango, you made a very rational and sensible choice. I find, Palio users more verbose than Indica users, otherwise looking at the sales figures, you can get thousands of positive reports from satisfied customers. So enjoy your Turbo.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks