Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2006, 21:15   #1
BHPian

Which is Better Used Car - Zen or IKON ?

Hi friends..

Its been 3 months I am looking for a good Used ZEN In Bangalore, Still not able to get.. Offlate Dealers are telling me to go for IKON as per them I can get a IKON as less as 2.30 which I can get a Zen too. IKON is a big & Impressive looking car ( I agree to that )

But how about maintainance ? I will be using LPG kit in the car. So What do u guys say ? I need a good running, very less maintainance car.

Shall I go for Zen or IKON ? Help
Old 19th June 2006, 21:26   #2
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Less maintaince / Lower cost spares = ZEN ....period! Why not look at the new ZEN, since the production has stopped they are giving a big bag of discounts.
Old 19th June 2006, 21:59   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash2757
very less maintainance car.
Go for the Zen. Ikon is also a good buy but it will be defenitely more expensive to maintain...
Old 19th June 2006, 22:20   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa
Less maintaince / Lower cost spares = ZEN ....period! Why not look at the new ZEN, since the production has stopped they are giving a big bag of discounts.
Dear Sir,

Zen production is not stopped, They have started it agian. It will be coming out in August.
Old 19th June 2006, 23:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Sir,

Zen production is not stopped, They have started it agian. It will be coming out in August.
I think you misunderstood. Production of the current zen(model) is stopped and they are getting a new car with the same name..
Old 20th June 2006, 19:39   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgu88
in the case of maintance & fuel efficency zen is good .BUt for operfomance
looks sporty feel,Indipendent suspnsion and drivin comfort ikon is really a josh machine
Thank U... I will like to choose 1st option. ZEN
Old 21st June 2006, 00:01   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi friends..

Its been 3 months I am looking for a good Used ZEN In Bangalore, Still not able to get.. Offlate Dealers are telling me to go for IKON as per them I can get a IKON as less as 2.30 which I can get a Zen too. IKON is a big & Impressive looking car ( I agree to that )

But how about maintainance ? I will be using LPG kit in the car. So What do u guys say ? I need a good running, very less maintainance car.

Shall I go for Zen or IKON ? Help
the Ikon is a generation ahead of the Zen so it is a better car on the whole. however, when you take maintenance & fuel efficiency into consideration, the Zen is cheaper to maintain and will give you very good fuel economy.

the fuel efficiency factor is cancelled out by the point that you want to use an LPG kit (CNG would be advisable) in your car.

you lay stress on the maintenance factor, so the balance tilts towards the Zen again. if you have a small family and use the car mainly for city use, then the Zen is perfect for you.

for more family members and better highway comfort, its the Ikon.
Old 21st June 2006, 03:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

If you are going to use if for a family of 4, forget the higher maintainence and go for Ikon. Comfort doesnt really go with zen when compared to other hatches.

Both cars are zippy and fun to drive but Ikon has more panache. The boot and status is another asset.

Otherwise zen is a good bet from maruti.
Old 21st June 2006, 10:59   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgu88
in the case of maintance & fuel efficency zen is good .BUt for operfomance looks sporty feel,Indipendent suspnsion and drivin comfort ikon is really a josh machine
Small correction. Ikon does not have Indipendant suspension, it is a semi independant setup with a torsion bar connecting both. It works pretty well, though!!
Old 21st June 2006, 11:18   #10
BHPian

if you are planning to use an LPG kit, the boot of the zen will become seriously cramped to be of any use. why not consider the wagon-r instead - also low-maintenance and more space inside.

ikon is clearly a bigger car, with loads more power and space, but the maintainence and running costs can be high - so go for it only if you require a big car.
Old 21st June 2006, 11:19   #11
Senior - BHPian

Choice between the Zen and the Ikon is almost like a comparison between Apples and Oranges.

These are cars from different segments meant for different purposes.

Ikon itself has separate segmantation based on engine size. The 1.3 for the Boot wannabe's and the 1.6 for the enthusiast.

So the call should be based on your requirement.

Do you need just a car? Then the car to go for is the Zen as it is cheap to maintain and run and beleive me its a lot of fun to drive.

But if you need the Boot and comfort takes a role alongside running and maintenance costs, the Ikon 1.3 is the one for you. The flip side is higher maintenance, but some workshops are good. But many would like to differ on this point and I would not say anything to disrespect the agony many owners have faced.

If you love to hear an engine sing everytime you press the accelerator, if you like to drive fast naturally the Ikon 1.6 is the one for you.

But then there would be Baleno's too on the second hand market.
Old 22nd June 2006, 08:11   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Go in for Jap cars (read MARUTI) if u r planning on 2nd hand. They're cheaper to maintain and will hold their value reasonably better than other cars.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks