Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2006, 13:33   #1
BHPian

New Car less than 4.75 (Ex showroom)

Hi All,

For tax saving purposes need to take up a company car. Max limit that I am allowed is 4.25 Ex-factory. I have been told that to come to the ex-showroom price I need to add 12.5%. Is this correct?

If it is then, the limit comes to 4.78 L ex-showroom.

I am based in Delhi, and I already have a Baleno Lxi (Bought after a lot of research thru the forums in Team BHP) The car will be essentially for my folks with very limited travel within the city. Say about 30-40Kms/day. So the diesel option will not be necessary.

Please advise which will be the best car, Ideally will want a hatchback so it's easier for my dad to drive & park within the city. Though open to the 3 box cars as well.

Looking forward to hearing from the experts.
Old 3rd July 2006, 13:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

at that range, U can go in for the Wagon R or the santro.

If your parents want a car that is sturdy and more spacious, and a notch above teh wagon r and santro, go in for the Palio 1.2 ELX- this is gully loaded, with beige interiors and It is 4.13 ex showroom.

I think with some discounts, for 4.75 ex showroom, u ca also get the Getz GLS/GVS.

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 3rd July 2006 at 13:43.
Old 3rd July 2006, 14:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest a Swift VXi since it meets your budget, is easy to drive in the city and is a modern, well made product. The ex-showroom price is also within your budget at Rs.4.26L (non-ABS) or Rs. 4.46 (ABS) New Delhi.
Old 3rd July 2006, 15:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

If I remember right, a TBHPian bought a Petra ELX ( teh loaded one) for within 5lac. Ther was a post by his sometime last week.
Old 3rd July 2006, 16:20   #5
BHPian

If it has to be hatch...then I would vouch for Swift VXi or Getz GLS, both are equally good in terms of A.S.S & reliability with a marginal diff in mileage.

You can also look at esteem..its peppy, fuel efficient & its easy to drive too...
Old 4th July 2006, 07:09   #6
BHPian

i think you can have a look at indigo diesel and petrol variants..........
Old 4th July 2006, 08:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

Get either a Getrz or a Swift. I am more inclined towards Getz.
Old 5th July 2006, 20:45   #8
BHPian

Thanks Guys, for all the info. Doing the test drives this weekend. More inclined to the Swift right now.

Have the following options:
1. Swift Zxi - Just add the Ice & it's complete
2. Getz (Top-end) - Bad experience at 2 dealerships have put me off Hyundai though
3. Esteem Vxi - Aging warhorse but good value for money
4. Ford Ikon - Thirsty & not comfortable with A.S.S
5. Gypsy Hard Top (They are still made) - Not practical for me
6. Baleno Lxi - Would love another one, but will give it a pass with a heavy heart

It's amazing that all the above cars & more actually have ex:factory lower than 4.25 Lakhs ;-). The dealers make a killing and they pretend that they are losing money when you do a nego with them.
Old 5th July 2006, 22:09   #9
fb1
BHPian

Swift with nice 16" rims and good ice, replace lights to HID xennon, loaded..
Old 5th July 2006, 23:50   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewlferrari
Hi All,

For tax saving purposes need to take up a company car. Max limit that I am allowed is 4.25 Ex-factory. I have been told that to come to the ex-showroom price I need to add 12.5%. Is this correct?

If it is then, the limit comes to 4.78 L ex-showroom.

I am based in Delhi, and I already have a Baleno Lxi (Bought after a lot of research thru the forums in Team BHP) The car will be essentially for my folks with very limited travel within the city. Say about 30-40Kms/day. So the diesel option will not be necessary.

Please advise which will be the best car, Ideally will want a hatchback so it's easier for my dad to drive & park within the city. Though open to the 3 box cars as well.

Looking forward to hearing from the experts.
----------------

For that budget in Delhi you can get a 3 boxer - Ikon but go for it only if maintenance is going to be borne by the company.

Otherwise for the ease of parking it has to be a hatchback - Swift or a Palio. If i were in your case i would go for Palio anytime.

Another reason Palio is a car unlike Swift which is like GOOFY on the road.

its your take now.

Cheers.
Old 6th July 2006, 10:25   #11
BHPian

If I were you,Palio 1.2 ELX would be my choice.
You can easily get that within your budget - but a better car than most of the hatches available in India now.
Old 6th July 2006, 14:53   #12
BHPian

Lot's of Fiat lovers in here, but just not ready to take a big gamble on Fiat. Even after the Tata alliance I am not convinced. A couple of my friends have told me a few horror stories and I want complete peace of mind after I buy the car.

So it's going to be the Swift Zxi in RED!

Thnaks a ton for all the advice & suggestions.
Old 6th July 2006, 14:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

Nice choice, kewlferrari. Better to be safe than sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewlferrari
It's amazing that all the above cars & more actually have ex:factory lower than 4.25 Lakhs ;-). The dealers make a killing and they pretend that they are losing money when you do a nego with them.
How did you arrive at the ex-factory prices ? What the dealers tell us is the ex-showroom (which includes their marin) + taxes + insurance etc.
Did you reduce 12.5% from ex-showroom to get the ex-fact price ? Or is there some other way to know it ? BTW, whats the ex-factory price for a Baleno LXi - just curious.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 6th July 2006 at 15:04.
Old 6th July 2006, 18:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

If you want an easy and comfortable city car to drive...I would suggest go in for the top end model of the Santro...it will leave yu with some change to spare but your dad will like the wide vision the mirrors offer and the peppy low rmp response in any gear..Just test drive it...no enthusiasts car but will offer VFM and a good resale
I have a Baleno Lxi too and I purchased a Santro as my second car this month... It is fairly fuel efficient too (I have upsized to 165/65 tyres..still the car gave me 15kmpl on the first tankful)...
Old 6th July 2006, 18:29   #15

Dear Freind
Choices in this range are 800,santro,wagonR Indica{doubt}etc.Best is santro if you are going for comfort and if it is mile age Go for wagon R.If you have little more budget go for paleo .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks