Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2006, 18:05   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer
I own a S10 it never ever gave me FE of more than 8 kmpl in city.

Cheers,
pioneer.
Just curious....

Do you use high octane fuels or the normal ones....cos the palio 1.6 specifically requires the use of fuels like xtra premium etc...
Old 10th July 2006, 20:43   #32
BHPian

Guys tomorrow most probably I and my frnd may go on a lookout the whole day for the right car. So I need some last minute tips of selecting either an Esteem or Palio. What all features should i keep in mind? BTW am gonna test drive too, so plz temme what all points I should keep in mind while having a look at the car????? And plz Hurry!

And even quote the approx prices I can ask for the Esteem, Palio 1.2 ELX and Palio 1.6 GTX plzzzzzzzz.

PS : And howz the Palio D ???? Do u get those? Never seen one till date.
Old 10th July 2006, 21:18   #33
Senior - BHPian

Okie buddy i recently bought 01 Esteem VX single owner car i bought it for 1.80k if you are looking for FE and cheap Spares and quick service everybody knows that maruti is best.. but palio is a awsome car but spares and FE will make a hole in your pocket..
Old 10th July 2006, 21:59   #34
Senior - BHPian

I dont own one.

but calling palio a maintainence hog is not the exact word for it.

maintainence is high but we need to remember that palio is a robust car.

In a crash maruti will cost more than the palio coz palio can sustain the crash which maruti surely cannot.
Old 11th July 2006, 00:42   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdev29
Okie buddy i recently bought 01 Esteem VX single owner car i bought it for 1.80k if you are looking for FE and cheap Spares and quick service everybody knows that maruti is best.. but palio is a awsome car but spares and FE will make a hole in your pocket..
I totally agree on that my friend!''

And Furioussphinx, do consider the spare parts cost/availability especially in your case where you are investing in a used car. Chances of a used car breaking down is naturally more frequent that a new car. And chances are that most 1.6GTX Palios will have been used very harshly due to its sporty nature and due to the nature of the owner who goes in for such a car. Same applies for the Esteem coz its almost as fun to drive as the GTX. But then mantenence of the Esteem is very low comparitively due to the dirt-cheap spare parts and add to it the very vast Maruti A** Network.

Secondly FE of the Esteem is much better than the Palio 1.2 (leave alone the 1.6GTX).

Both cars have their pros and cons. DO weigh all your options and best of luck for your choice buddy.

Personally my vote would be for the Esteem MPFI.
Old 11th July 2006, 10:03   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
I dont own one.

but calling palio a maintainence hog is not the exact word for it.

maintainence is high but we need to remember that palio is a robust car.
I agree Palio is a robust car. I also just happend to check the technical section of TBHP. Surprisingly, there are a number of threads on Palio snags.

Are there many technical issues with Palio, or is it just more palio owners creating threads?
Old 11th July 2006, 10:54   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight
I agree Palio is a robust car. I also just happend to check the technical section of TBHP. Surprisingly, there are a number of threads on Palio snags.

Are there many technical issues with Palio, or is it just more palio owners creating threads?
There are just 3 - 4 threads threads on Palio in technical section and you have so nicely concluded that Palio has many technical issues???
I am not saying Palio is a perfect car, but there only a handful few who have some issues with their Palio. The build quality of Palio is 100 times better than of a Maruti car, whether you agree or not. Also the price of Fiat spares is at par with Maruti spares and sometimes cheaper than Maruti. And stop crying about the mileage of Palio, Palio 1.2 gives a decent mileage of 11 - 13 Kmpl in City and 15 - 17 kmpl in Highways, at the same time you get a much Safer car with excellent ride comfort.
Old 11th July 2006, 11:17   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp
Also the price of Fiat spares is at par with Maruti spares and sometimes cheaper than Maruti. .
Is it??? Thats news to me!
Old 11th July 2006, 11:22   #39
BHPian

Quote:
And stop crying about the mileage of Palio, Palio 1.2 gives a decent mileage of 11 - 13 Kmpl in City and 15 - 17 kmpl in Highways, at the same time you get a much Safer car with excellent ride comfort.
The Esteem gives you a proper boot, offers better FE than the Palio 1.2, is significantly more powerful than the Palio 1.2, cheaper spares and ease of service
Old 11th July 2006, 12:07   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85
Is it??? Thats news to me!
It is news for you bcoz you have never enquired about Fiat spares!

Here are some examples:

1. Rs 1200 for the Palio Mirror assembly with internal manual adjust. Rs 1400 for the Esteem mirror assembly with similar internal adjust.

2. Palio front bumper is almost half the cost of the two part Esteem front bumper.
Old 11th July 2006, 12:21   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85
The Esteem gives you a proper boot, offers better FE than the Palio 1.2, is significantly more powerful than the Palio 1.2, cheaper spares and ease of service
Don't give vague information. What is the FE of Esteem? What do you mean Esteem is more powerful? Esteem is 1298 cc & Palio 1.2 is 1200 CC.
Spares I have already mentioned in my previous post. And Fiat Service is no longer a issue now, with Tata dealers catering to Fiat cars. Esteem just has boot, thatz it!

Last edited by finneyp : 11th July 2006 at 12:27.
Old 11th July 2006, 12:29   #42
BHPian

Do a test drive and then decide.
Take a mechanic/experienced friend (who is good in the assessing the techincalities) with you and take them with you when you do a test drive.Also let them them drive the car for some distance. And ask them to provide honest opinion.

Check with the RTO where the cars are registered to know about any accident histories.
Old 11th July 2006, 12:32   #43
BHPian

I thought esteem was 1.3L.... (maruti 1000 is 1000cc)

Well there was this post by another member (floyd??) regarding how to nail down on a car....about the wants and the needs.... it was really good... I cant seem to find that link...that should help you choose between the two...

I know some owners who just cant do without a boot...so they would compromise on quite a lot of others to get a car with a good boot....

I suggest you browse some threads here and find out more.... write down what features you require the most and compare which stands out... Both have their own advantages/disadvantages.....
Old 11th July 2006, 12:34   #44
BHPian

Quote:
It is news for you bcoz you have never enquired about Fiat spares!

Here are some examples:

1. Rs 1200 for the Palio Mirror assembly with internal manual adjust. Rs 1400 for the Esteem mirror assembly with similar internal adjust.

2. Palio front bumper is almost half the cost of the two part Esteem front bumper.
Palio OVRM's cost RS.1,384 per pc, whereas Esteem OVRM is available Rs.1,190 per pc.

Yup i agree Palio Front bumper is cheaper at Rs.943 and the Esteem's 2 piece bumper is priced at Rs.1485

These are the prices which i got from my friend who owns a OEM spare-parts shop in Koliwada (Sion)
Old 11th July 2006, 12:41   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Don't give vague information. What is the FE of Esteem? What do you mean Esteem is more powerful? Esteem is 1298 cc & Palio 1.2 is 1200 CC.
CC/BHP figures are of no use unless they translate into on-road performance. Esteem takes 11.3 s to the ton. Only the palio 1.6 can make it as quick as 11.2 s, while the 1.2 is far behind at 14.xx s - slower than a santro/wagon-r in fact.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks