Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2006, 15:27   #1
BHPian

Palio S10 or Honda City 1.5

Guys,

Need your help. I was in the market for a good second hand car. Of the two mentioned below which would be better buy

1. Palio S10 (i think its 2002 edition) 1.6 with alloy wheels, new tyres, leather seats, 12CD changer and run 58K (1st owner) --> 2 lacs

2. Honda City (2001 model ?? not sure and second owner) new battery, new tyres + whatever was stock... -> 3.25 Lacs.

My heart says the palio. My worry is the FE. The owner claims around 9-10 but i am not so sure.

thanks
Bharani

P.S.: Mods... if you think this can be clubbed with any other thread, please do.
Old 10th July 2006, 15:56   #2
BHPian

OHC - no doubt.

You get everything that the S10 offers + no maintenance worries + great FE + lots more space inside.
Old 10th July 2006, 16:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

Palio 1.6 is the hottest hatch in the country. Yes, the owner is right, Palio 1.6 you will give you a mileage of 9 - 10 kmpl in City driving. You can extract more if driven in a disciplined manner. Maintenance is no longer a issue post Fiat-Tata alliance, all the Tata dealers in Chennai do service Fiat cars now.
Old 10th July 2006, 16:47   #4
aZa
Senior - BHPian

S10 is a signature car, if you wanna go for a honda look for the rare OHC vtec
Old 10th July 2006, 17:23   #5
BHPian

thanks for your suggestion guys

forgot to mention the honda has run 80K kms.

what kind of maintenance would be needed for both cars after 50K kms.
Old 10th July 2006, 20:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra
OHC - no doubt.

You get everything that the S10 offers + no maintenance worries + great FE + lots more space inside.
Goldie, just curious! I am not contesting your claim, just asking for opinion.
  • Does OHC offer as good ride as S10?
  • Does OHC handle as good as S10?
  • Does OHC feel as safe/secure as S10?
Old 10th July 2006, 21:17   #7

Yup I was in a similar situation 2 yrs back and landed up buying a VTec. Believe me its a much better choice in terms of Space and speed. Yes the Vtec does not at all times feel as sure footed as the Palio. The weight of the Vtec is equal to that of a Palio.The fuel efficiency of a VTEC in city with A/C is approx 11.5 Kmpl. While the Palio expect somewhere around 8. Try and search for a VTEC and go for it.

Rgds,
Firestarter
Old 10th July 2006, 21:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestarter
Yup I was in a similar situation 2 yrs back and landed up buying a VTec. Believe me its a much better choice in terms of Space and speed. Yes the Vtec does not at all times feel as sure footed as the Palio. The weight of the Vtec is equal to that of a Palio.The fuel efficiency of a VTEC in city with A/C is approx 11.5 Kmpl. While the Palio expect somewhere around 8. Try and search for a VTEC and go for it.

Rgds,
Firestarter
all cars are good. And even palio is no slouch. remember your are comparing a signature car here.

1. vtec is too sleepy at low rpms in and not as good as 1.5 in the city. palio is better than vtec too.
2. vtec weighs 975 while palio weighs 1080(s10 is a bit more). Evan Ikon and accent weigh more than OHC.
3. S10 has an even better spirited gearing than pali gtx.
4. 8-9 FE for palio compared to 10-11 for OHC is not bad considering bigger engine and better metal.

but OHC is a sedan. More people vouch for OHC as sales speak. but then anybody can rip off the body and make the engine perform.

I would say palio s10.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 10th July 2006 at 21:37.
Old 11th July 2006, 00:20   #9
BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...=Cheap+Thrills

Here's what I had posted a few weeks back.Source : Autocar
Guess the winner in the shoot out!

And here's BSmotoring on the S10 when it was launched:

http://www.bsmotoring.com/2002/02apr18_8.htm
Its a must read for an enthusiast

Last edited by roms : 11th July 2006 at 00:26.
Old 11th July 2006, 10:09   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
Goldie, just curious! I am not contesting your claim, just asking for opinion.
  • Does OHC offer as good ride as S10?
  • Does OHC handle as good as S10?
  • Does OHC feel as safe/secure as S10?
- Frankly, I am not impressed by the ride comfort of either, and would hate to be in the rear seat (besides being insanely jealous of the guy at the wheel).

- Handling of the S10 comes into play only at very high speeds - perhaps above 150 kmph, and I have not driven it that fast. But, at all other speeds, the razor sharp handling of the OHC, especially when you cut corners has a definite advantage.

- 'Feel' is a comparative term, and opinions differ on that front. I personally dont believe extra weight adds to the safety of a car, but the design does.
Old 11th July 2006, 10:14   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roms
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...=Cheap+Thrills

Here's what I had posted a few weeks back.Source : Autocar
Guess the winner in the shoot out!
I guess the deciding factor was VFM, since the Palio 1.6 has rock-bottom resale prices compared to the OHC.
Old 11th July 2006, 10:45   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra
I guess the deciding factor was VFM, since the Palio 1.6 has rock-bottom resale prices compared to the OHC.
hmm,not really goldie.A car having better or worse resale has nothing to do with its performance abilities.The point of the shoot out was to test all three cars having done approx 50,ooo kms and within a 2 lakh budget.Agreed that the OHC was an old car in this shoot out and may have been slightly better off if it was new.Vtec would be another matter altogether

Last edited by roms : 11th July 2006 at 10:50.
roms is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2006, 11:02   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roms
hmm,not really goldie.A car having better or worse resale has nothing to do with its performance abilities.The point of the shoot out was to test all three cars having done approx 50,ooo kms and within a 2 lakh budget.Agreed that the OHC was an old car in this shoot out and may have been slightly better off if it was new.Vtec would be another matter altogether
Hmm.. It does - not directly though.

A 'performance' or a 'cheap thrill' car is expected to be driven hard and thrashed well. The beating shows its maximum effect on the engine and the suspension. A car thrashed hard for 50K kms would age equal to 100k if it were normally driven, and the suspension might wear out faster depending on the road conditions.

While I cant comment much on the suspension, the OHC's engine is definitely of a better quality and can take much more of abuse than the 1.6 Palio. The amount of problems and issues faced, and the extensive trip to the service station (asssuming A/S/S is same), would be much more in the Palio's case.
Old 11th July 2006, 11:20   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
vtec weighs 975
985, Baleno is 975.

Anyway, since the OHC has covered 80K kms, there are a few things you need to check.

1. Suspension (Make sure they're in good shape)

2. A/C Compressor (The clutch may go bust, so make sure there are no noises coming from the compressor)

3. Power steering gearbox (see that it's not leaking)

4. Tyres (he should be having a new set by now)

5. Head lamps (make sure they're not faded)

6. Rear Bumper (shouldn't be loose)

7. Windscreen (i've seen many 2nd hand cars without the "Honda" logo on the widscreen, check for that).

8. Brakepads (shouldn't be worn out)

9. Service history (make sure he's got the car serviced by Honda and that all the major services have been done, 20K, 40K, 60K, 80K etc.

10. Keys (maynot sound like much but keys do get worn out and can cause problems when trying to lock/unlock/crank. Car comes with 2 keys, if the spare one is in good shape, get another one made from it.)

11. Clutch (check for "wear n tear")

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 11th July 2006 at 11:29.
Old 11th July 2006, 11:37   #15
BHPian

Both the cars you have had a look at are performance oriented. You need to ask yourself...Am I the boy racer type? Or am I the kind of person who wants a blend of everything? If you are the boy racer type who heads out of the city often and is likely to cross 140-150 kph often, then the Palio is the car for you. It is cheaper so you'll be able to spend a little more on maintenance and fuel. Just make sure the car has full service history and had no accidents. The S10 is immensely satisfying to drive. Trust me..I have driven both at high speed on highways and the S10 is definitely the better car. Upgrade to 185 section tyres and the experience improves.

On the other hand,if you want a blend of everything and are generally going to stay south of 130-140 kph then go for the OHC.

I can vouch that you will not get more than 8kmpl in the city with a/c in the Palio(I owned one). It will give you 13 or thereabouts on the highway. Expect 10-11 city and 15-16 highway in similar conditions from the OHC.

I repeat..do check the history of both cars thoroughly. Mileage above 50k could require changes to suspension, clutch, brakes, tyres...etc. The best thing would be to refer to the manual/service booklet for each car and do a thorough check on the service items that are recommended at that mileage...and avoid cars with multiple owners.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed