Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2006, 20:52   #1

required a good hatch in 5-6 lakh

Hey guyz i have a zen 1996 model(pio Hu &pio speakers at the rear and front, central locking , leather seats, 155/70 R13 michelin certis tyres brand new mileage 87k efficiency 14-16kmpl in city with ac)this car has been running good , butin the recent times there have been a lot of problems suspension change , under floor replacement etc.. My dad has decicded to sell it off . He wants to buy himself a car within the 5-6lakh range , easy to drivein the city,good in performance(been a zen driver for the past 10 years),reliable for the next ten years atleast coz this is the first car we are selling ,we have a1964 fiat1100, a1989 M800, a 1998 Mvan. pls help
Old 13th July 2006, 21:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

The next best successor to the zen is the Palio Sports 1.6.

Overall good upgrade will be the swift.

Test drive both and decide which you like.
Old 14th July 2006, 07:57   #3
BHPian

SWIFT IT IS...

its a good car but as devarshi84 said drive both the cars and then deside...
Old 14th July 2006, 12:09   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viralraj
He wants to buy himself a car within the 5-6lakh range , easy to drivein the city,good in performance(been a zen driver for the past 10 years),reliable for the next ten years atleast coz this is the first car we are selling ,we have a1964 fiat1100, a1989 M800, a 1998 Mvan. pls help
I feel you should go for Palio 1.6 Sport.Its an awesome car man!You will never regret it.
Old 14th July 2006, 12:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

The Palio is much better than the Swift..but fuel Hungry..Also it is wrong to compare both as they have differrent engine capacities..1.3 for the swift and a 1.6 for the Palio..

I would choose the Palio..
Old 14th July 2006, 12:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

Palio Vs Swift. Swift is great if pulled near about the highish rpm's. But in gear acceleration is much better in the Palio 1.6. Surprisingly both make maximum Torque at high end of the spectrum but its the 1.6 that still has healthy torque below the Maximum torque RPM's which makes it more drivable. Slot the Swift into 5th at around 60-65 and start accelerating and then get back to the Palio 1.6 and do the same you'll realise (thats the extra cc's talking). But then if redlining in every gear is the way of driving then, the Swift is quite capable (even when it has 300cc deficit).

But then there are the other bugbears in the 1.6, even the Tata-Fiat alliance is not proving too good for the car. Then obviously, the price you pay for drivability is the difference in FE.
Old 14th July 2006, 13:20   #7
Senior - BHPian

Go blindy for the Palio 1.6 Sport. It has excellent power, high Safety, Spacious, superb Ride comfort, great Build Quality, Good looks and now Service from Tata Motors. With a 1.6 engine, it gives a decent mileage of 9 - 11 KMPL in City driving, 12 - 16 kmpl on Highways.
Old 14th July 2006, 13:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

Both the Swift and Palio are good cars that fall in your budget. However, if FE is an important criteria for you, it would be better to stay away from the Palio - owner testimonies point to around 8kmpl in city traffic which is much lower than the 12 or more that you can get with the Swift. Also the top version of the Swift comes with ABS, airbags etc which are not available in the Palio. Test drive both, get your priorities right and decide.
Old 14th July 2006, 14:32   #9
BHPian

Along with the Swift , I was thinkin why dint anyone consider the Hyundai Getz ???
Old 14th July 2006, 14:36   #10
BHPian

Why not take a look at the Fusion - the 1.6 is really fun to drive, it has loads of space inside, has that unique life-style factor, and even the mileage would be comparable to the swift, and better than Palio 1.6 for sure.

On the downside, maintenance costs are reported to be high, and the interiors could have been better at that price.

If you can go upto 6 lakhs, better shoot past the swift/palio/getz range and look for alternatives like Fusion or maybe even stretch to the SRV.
Old 14th July 2006, 14:40   #11
Senior - BHPian

Getting more than 12 kmpl in city with AC on for swift is I believe to be an imaginary statement... Is there any Swift owner getting more than 12 KMPL in city with AC?? For Palio I agree FE is a big concern.. Many Palio owners used to get around 9-10 KMPL in city with AC if your right foot is not going by the way she takes off . I drove a brand new Palio 1.6 yesterday and it was awesome experience.. She is very much drivable in 1st and 2nd gear infact there is no need to get into 1st gear as the torque in 2nd gear is fair enough to pull a body of a ton..

In Swift sit at rear seats for more than 50 KM and then you will feel cramped.. There are so much stories of Swift rattling and other problems in just 1 month period.

Now the best way to judge Swift and Palio is to subscribe to the yahoo groups for these two. You can make up by looking at the problems owners are facing with these two. Just take test drive of both these cars and I am sure you will land up buying a Palio 1.6 beast.. . Anyways keep us updated on your purchase brother..

Cheers
NeoOnWheels
Palio 1.2 Sport/ 13 KMPL / AND IT ROCKS !!!!

Last edited by neoonwheels : 14th July 2006 at 14:43.
Old 14th July 2006, 15:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by furioussphinx
Along with the Swift , I was thinkin why dint anyone consider the Hyundai Getz ???
True. But then, the Swift-mania almost drowned the Getz in its wake. It would emerge again from its ashes in a diesel CRDi avatar soon. But then again, MUL would be ready with its diesel Swift too and it remains to be seen who emerges the winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra
If you can go upto 6 lakhs, better shoot past the swift/palio/getz range and look for alternatives like Fusion or maybe even stretch to the SRV.
Valid point. If you have 6 lakhs to put on a hatch, why not go for the top-end. But then to reach SRV, the budget would need to be stretched quite a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels
Getting more than 12 kmpl in city with AC on for swift is I believe to be an imaginary statement.
With a 1.6L Baleno weighing in at 975kgs, I am getting 12kmpl with 100% AC in Chennai. If so, why not the same (or more) with a 1.3L engine with only another 15/30 kgs more, especially when the motor used is the known-to-be-frugal Esteem engine ?

Quote:
For Palio I agree FE is a big concern..
Precisely the point I was trying to make.

Quote:
If this figure is true, there is absolutely no issue with the Swift returning 12kmpl, considering the fact that the Palio is much heavier than the Swift.
Old 14th July 2006, 15:13   #13
BHPian

I have heard lot of smal issues reported by owners of Swift, especially the rattling sound after few K kms of running.Not sure if they have corrected it now.

As far as FE is concerned,check with the actual owners of both Palio and Swift about mileage.
Old 14th July 2006, 16:55   #14
Senior - BHPian

Why not Ford Icon Flair? You will get a sedan for your budget. And it's not difficult to drive in City. You would be getting decent mileage.

If it has to be only hatch, check all the premium hatches out there in the market and go to one which you fall in love with. All of them are good cars. Getz is a good allrounder.
Old 14th July 2006, 17:01   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Getting more than 12 kmpl in city with AC on for swift is I believe to be an imaginary statement... Is there any Swift owner getting more than 12 KMPL in city with AC?? For Palio I agree FE is a big concern.. Many Palio owners used to get around 9-10 KMPL in city with AC if your right foot is not going by the way she takes off . I drove a brand new Palio 1.6 yesterday and it was awesome experience.. She is very much drivable in 1st and 2nd gear infact there is no need to get into 1st gear as the torque in 2nd gear is fair enough to pull a body of a ton..

In Swift sit at rear seats for more than 50 KM and then you will feel cramped.. There are so much stories of Swift rattling and other problems in just 1 month period.

Now the best way to judge Swift and Palio is to subscribe to the yahoo groups for these two. You can make up by looking at the problems owners are facing with these two. Just take test drive of both these cars and I am sure you will land up buying a Palio 1.6 beast.. . Anyways keep us updated on your purchase brother..

Cheers
NeoOnWheels
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]I get 14.2 in banglore city as per my last measurement (almost without AC) so consider 11-12 with AC...not an Imaginary statement at all.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks