View Poll Results: Your choice?
Maruti Swift 135 57.45%
Hyundai Grand i10 100 42.55%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2014, 08:46   #106
BHPian

Re: Maruti Swift vs Hyundai Grand i10

You can easily negotiate the price further down (around 2.7L-2.9L). Before making a jump do check with the service records of the car. Also look out for online used car deals for 4 year old Swifts in Kolkata and you can get a better picture of how much you can bargain for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator1101 View Post
I am planning to buy a pre-owned Swift for my wife. After some market survey, come across a gentleman who is selling his 2010 Swift Vxi run 29000 for 3.2 lacs. Price is somewhat negotiable. The gentleman is in a hurry to sell it as he is transferred out from Kolkata. Is it a good buy? Please advise. I have only 2 days in hand.
CountMe91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2014, 23:26   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountMe91 View Post
You can easily negotiate the price further down (around 2.7L-2.9L). Before making a jump do check with the service records of the car. Also look out for online used car deals for 4 year old Swifts in Kolkata and you can get a better picture of how much you can bargain for.
I spoke to the person and bargained also. He has come down to 2.9 on his own. I have quoted 2.65 in return. He said he will revert back. The car needs a battery change, left RVM n left tail light change. Also can anybody enlighten whether a swift Vxi of march 2010 has a K series engine?
Old 1st November 2014, 22:15   #108
BHPian

Quote:
I spoke to the person and bargained also. He has come down to 2.9 on his own. I have quoted 2.65 in return. He said he will revert back. The car needs a battery change, left RVM n left tail light change. Also can anybody enlighten whether a swift Vxi of march 2010 has a K series engine?
I have finally bargained and fixed the deal at 2.65 lakhs. He has agreed in priciple. Now the question is, is a 2010 March Swift Vxi run 27000 kms worth 2.65 lakhs? I would request senior Bhpians to suggest and guide please. I already own a 2014 Honda City and the Swift would hardly run 300 kms per month, all within the city.
Also the present owner has revealed the following details :
1. He is selling the Swift and buying a Polo
2. There had been a burglary incident with the Swift wherein the windshield had been broken and the stereo stolen. Insurance was claimed and windshield replaced by authorised service center.
Now, under these circumstances, what additional checks in which all parts should I carry out before fixing the deal. How can I trace what repairs were actually carried out. Can the VIN number help in finding out service details?
Pl help on the above issues

Last edited by aviator1101 : 1st November 2014 at 22:23. Reason: text added
Old 1st November 2014, 22:44   #109
BHPian

Maruti Swift vs Hyundai Grand i10

Quote:
I have finally bargained and fixed the deal at 2.65 lakhs. He has agreed in priciple. Now the question is, is a 2010 March Swift Vxi run 27000 kms worth 2.65 lakhs?

We sold our 2007, 85k run Swift Lxi to Kalyani motors in exchange for a Dzire @ 2.5 lakhs with extra 20k bonus and our car was not the best of cosmetic shape( had lots of scratches) but was serviced regularly and was never driven aggressively all its life and returned a good 16kmpl.
So if it's mechanical sound and considering the dropping fuel prices, it could be worth it.

Last edited by Akhilash95 : 1st November 2014 at 22:48.
Old 2nd November 2014, 02:34   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhilash95 View Post
So if it's mechanical sound, it could be worth it.
Thats the real question?
How do I make out? The owner confesses that the windshield was broken and stereo stolen, so what all collateral damages could have taken place? Could it be a leaking roof in the run, electrical looms tampered with?
I have the VIN number. Can I contact a meruti authorised service centre and trace what all repairs it underwent.
I have vague ideas, if any senior Bhpian could help me please
Old 29th November 2014, 14:16   #111
BHPian

Utterly confused : Polo or Swift or Grand i10

Dear forum members, I am on the look out for my first car and am contemplating a purchase during January or February 2015. Before coming to the main topic I would like to clarify that this will be my first OWN car i.e. I already have two cars in my house and I am driving for around 14 years as of date so I am not a newbie to driving or cars.
I am also extremely passionate about cars and have a good understanding of cars.
But as it stands, I am utterly confused as to what car I should buy
My choices are (not in any order):
Maruti Suzuki Swift
Volkswagen Polo
Hyundai grand i10.

I am looking for a petrol car as my monthly running though variable, does not warrant a diesel mill.

I had waited for the 1.5 Polo diesel all this time but unfortunately it is priced way out of my budget. I can stretch for the trendline Polo 1.5 but would be missing out on some essential features and also very important safety features. So keeping Polo 1.5 out of the contention.

Also to bear in mind that the two cars I drive are from hyundai, both petrol, the i10 sportz and the 1.3 getz. So am aware of HASS

I understand that the swift has the best petrol engine of the lot though this idea is from this forum itself as I personally have never driven a swift. Grand i10 is peppy
Polo 1.2 again I have no idea

So I would like me fellow members to add their views regarding the above. I am a sedate driver in the city but out on the highway I like to keep up some good speeds (no, I don't overspeed) and like an engine which aids in overtaking.

I am not a huge fan of the grand i10 but it scores on practicality as in it has a well shaped boot, nice rear leg room and windows which doesn't give you that claustrophobic feeling like in the swift and surely gizmo's galore which aid us in our day to day driving. The interior with it's beige combination gives a roomy feel to the cabin.

Swift is still good to look at in the market but it has an utterly useless boot and that claustrophobic feel in the rear. Mind you that I will never be in the rear, albeit rarely, but my better half has a taken a small degree of disliking to the rear seats of the swift.Also that I like the all black interiors of the swift.

The polo, a design drool worthy and which will age gracefully. One of the largest boots which can used well. Personally I did not feel a huge lack of rear legroom like has been said in the forum ( I am 5'6'' and no body in my family is very tall). Comfortline variant has all black interiors which both me and my better half like. Most importantly I will be getting ABS and airbags in comfortline variant of Polo. But again, on paper, Polo puts out the least amount of horses amongst the three, only 74 bhp. So does that effect driveability because torque output of all the three cars are at par.

I would sincerely want fellow members who OWN Polo 1.2 petrol to please give me their views regarding the drive, ASS and reliability of the Polo and also what kind of mileage they are being able to extract from the Polo.

Polo is one of my first choices but the costliest of the three. As also i would be going in for the purchase sometime in January I hope I should be able to extract a good enough discount from volkswagen so that cost of polo comes down to swift territory.

Grand i10 with all it's discount will be the cheapest of the three but it also gives the mildest of pulls to the heart.

So at the end as it seems to me it is a toss between polo and swift petrol versions.

I would love my fellow members to kindly guide me through this keeping in mind that I basically love to drive. Small differences does not matter much to me but what matters is in the long run. Also to keep in mind that resale value is not at all important to me because I would be keeping the car with me for 5 years plus after which nearly all cars have a nearly similar resale value.
Old 29th November 2014, 20:22   #112
Senior - BHPian

re: Utterly confused : Polo or Swift or Grand i10

If you already have 2 Hyundai's in the house please steer away from Grand i10, YOLO!

Swift obviously has a very peppy petrol engine but as you rightly pointed, an awkward and small boot. Is boot that important? If not, then the rear seats are not THAT bad compared to Polo. It seems you like everything else about it, don't you?

I like the Polo a lot minus its engine. Its got everything going for it if you can ignore the engine. To me, its the most modern and best looking hatch but not sure if I can live with that engine at all. The 1.5 is a different league altogether!

Last edited by fine69 : 29th November 2014 at 20:23.
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2014, 20:30   #113
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

I love the Polo. But I would buy the one with the bigger "juice" - the GTi if one can get it, though it still comes only with the 1.2 engine. I really don't like the 1.2 litre engine at all.

I also love the I20 Elite, though it also is badly let down by its useless, gutless 1.2 litre petrol engine.

The other one that I like and that you might want to think about is the Avventura - but be wary of its servicing and again, the 1.2 is an useless engine.

Looking at it this way, the Grand I10 is a great car. Very practical indeed and the 1.2 litre petrol engine I think does a better job on this car than on its bigger brother...

Last edited by shankar.balan : 29th November 2014 at 20:37.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2014, 20:31   #114
BHPian

Already having two Hyundais! Alright! My friend owns a petrol Grand i10 Sportz and he swears by its engine's smoothness, driveability and pulling power. The space is also good. But the best of all is the "QUALITY". The touch and feel of materials is just fantastic. So, I guess you won't be too unhappy with the Grand i10.

Now coming to Swift, the safety ratings bother me. So I really won't recommend it.

Coming to the Polo, I don't have much information about them so I can't comment about it, but I can tell you that since all of its variants have Airbags as standard, you can count it to be relatively "Safe". Though the base variant doesn't come with ABS, 4 star safety rating is good for such a car.

So, you can consider Grand i10 Petrol Asta or Polo Diesel Trendline.
RavSam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2014, 20:41   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
If you already have 2 Hyundai's in the house please steer away from Grand i10, YOLO!

Swift obviously has a very peppy petrol engine but as you rightly pointed, an awkward and small boot. Is boot that important? If not, then the rear seats are not THAT bad compared to Polo. It seems you like everything else about it, don't you?

I like the Polo a lot minus its engine. Its got everything going for it if you can ignore the engine. To me, its the most modern and best looking hatch but not sure if I can live with that engine at all. The 1.5 is a different league altogether!
You have very correctly hit the nail on its head. I am all in love with the polo but what is actually bothering me is the 1.2 petrol mill. If the polo had a better engine in the petrol avatar then I would simply jump for the polo. To be kept in mind that the polo 1.2 TSI is NOT in my budget by a mile

About the boot of the swift I really don't know how much important the boot is for me. The reason is that I will be welcoming a new member in my family. So with a child in tow I guess the boot will be slightly more important than it would be today. But even for a more than weekend tour for a couple the swifts boot fails horribly

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I love the Polo. But I would buy the one with the bigger "juice" - the GTi if one can get it, though it still comes only with the 1.2 engine. I really don't like the 1.2 litre engine at all.

I also love the I20 Elite, though it also is badly let down by its useless, gutless 1.2 litre petrol engine.

The other one that I like and that you might want to think about is the Avventura - but be wary of its servicing and again, the 1.2 is an useless engine.

Looking at it this way, the Grand I10 is a great car. Very practical indeed and the 1.2 litre petrol engine I think does a better job on this car than on its bigger brother...
Thanks Shankar but the GT twins are way beyond my budget

The problem with the Avventura and elite I 20 is the same as with the Polo - underwhelming engines.

Also I would prefer a Punto rather than an Avventura - but that's my personal opinion.

As for the grand i10, it is a pretty safe choice where in one cannot go wrong....plenty of space,nice interiors, pretty good and peppy engine, a well proportioned boot and lastly well within a respectable budget.

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd December 2014 at 11:01. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 29th November 2014, 21:06   #116
D C
BHPian

I would suggest a Polo considering your interest and requirement. However, it would be a bit more expensive to run and maintain compared to the other two. I would choose a Polo out of the list as I don't like the rattling noises of Swift which is certain, Polo is more stable than Swift and has more premium interiors.

Are you sure you do not want to consider other options like Liva, Chevy Spark, Wagon R, Brio or Figo?
Old 29th November 2014, 21:16   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drritwik View Post
As for the grand i10, it is a pretty safe choice where in one cannot go wrong....plenty of space,nice interiors, pretty good and peppy engine, a well proportioned boot and lastly well within a respectable budget.
Well you have the answer right there!

Grand i10 is a very proportionate car to me look-wise, curves in all the right places and excellent interior quality.

Unless you don't have a problem with a third Hyundai, then why not! Not to mention, H.A.S.S would've spoiled you enough so not sure how peaceful maintaining a FIAT would be for you.
Old 29th November 2014, 21:30   #118
D4D
BHPian

Between the Grand i10 and Swift, I think the Swift maybe the better choice.
It drives well and handles better. And since the car doesn't seemed cramped.

What the Swift doesn't give you is a lot of Gizmos and boot space.

Grand i20 is a terrific car, but swift is more fun to drive. And I would head to the Maruti showroom.

The Polo 1.2, the forums rant suggests it's best avoided. The elite i20 petrol is worth the stretch.

Last edited by D4D : 29th November 2014 at 21:51.
Old 29th November 2014, 21:37   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Well you have the answer right there!

Grand i10 is a very proportionate car to me look-wise, curves in all the right places and excellent interior quality.

Unless you don't have a problem with a third Hyundai, then why not! Not to mention, H.A.S.S would've spoiled you enough so not sure how peaceful maintaining a FIAT would be for you.
Thanks again there. HASS surely does have me spoilt. So fiat WILL be a gamble in a sense.

But while I did say that that grand i10 is a very practical car but also a SAFE choice in the same breadth I would also say that it isn't the most proportionate car when we are also looking at swift and polo at the same time. Stand alone and the grand i10 is in a league of it's own no doubt.

As I had said in my opening quote that while the grand i10 is the most practical and cheapest of the lot, it creates the mildest tug at the heart....in comparison to the swift and polo
Old 29th November 2014, 21:46   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
Between the Grand i10 and Swift, I think the Swift maybe the better choice.
It drives well and handles better. And since the car doesn't seemed cramped.

What the Swift doesn't give you is a lot of Gizmos and boot space.

Grand i20 is a terrific car, but swift is more fun to drive. And I would head to the Maruti showroom.

The Polo 1.2, the forum rant suggest it's best avoided. The elite i20 petrol is worth the stretch.
Thanks D4D. I don't mind if my car is a little low on gizmo's cause I am more of a car enthusiast rather than a techno freak.

As for the elite i20, the petrol version suffers from an underpowered engine. Even then one thing a do not want to go for is a base version of any car because that makes one sacrifice a lot of features, many of them which are required in our daily drives and not to mention safety features.

Most Viewed