Maruti Swift 135 57.45%
Hyundai Grand i10 100 42.55%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2014, 12:32   #31
BHPian

Re: Maruti Swift vs Hyundai Grand i10

I would anyday go for the swift.

If you would drive it yourself,this is a no contest.The swift has a peppy engine and is real fun to drive.

I had owned a blue swift(2005) for around 3.5 years and was a joy to own.The ASS of Maruti would also be the best(and cheapest).

The rough FE I got was 12.5(city) and 15(highway) both with 100% ac on.
joy_swift is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 12:43   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
Pay a visit to Sanga Automobiles, Pratap Nagar. They offer pretty nice discounts. Vipul is the second best, while KP has no time for customers.

About the brake issue, yes the brakes on L and V trims are weaker than those on the Z trim due to the absence of ABS. But they are better than those of the first batch. If memory serves me right, Maruti rectified this problem in September 2012.
Will try Sanga.
About the brakes, I have never driven the new Swift/Dzire so an extensive TD will clarify the same.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_swift View Post
I would anyday go for the swift.

I had owned a blue swift(2005) for around 3.5 years and was a joy to own.The ASS of Maruti would also be the best(and cheapest).

The rough FE I got was 12.5(city) and 15(highway) both with 100% ac on.
The older Swift came with the Esteem's engine and gearbox which was a gem.
Later they equipped it with the K series engine and in the New Swift they further reduced the low end torque, but thankfully this K series engine performs very good in high revs, if I go by the reviews.
Sherlocked is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 12:54   #33
BHPian

What happened to the new Swift 2014 that was supposed to be launched in July? Not heard of it for a while, no buzz around?

Or maybe Maruti wanted to wait for Tata Zest & VW Polo to play their card before showing theirs?
Old 16th July 2014, 13:15   #34
BHPian

Hi. I was in a similar Swift vs Gi10 dilemma in March. After much debating and going back and forth a petrol Grand i10 came home at the end of April. Go through the official tbhp reviews of both and also ownership reviews posted by owners. Try and test drive both cars on the same day.
Believe me, I wanted my new car to be a Swift. It's a great drivers car. Literally, I even felt the drivers seat was more comfortable than that of the Gi10. I personally find it better looking than the Gi10. I have two Swift's in my close friends circle, both Feb 2012 models, and both of them rattle. The dark interiors and plastics left a lot to be desired. The interiors after td-ing the Gi10 seemed economy grade and even the key fob was plasticy with two buttons. I discounted the rear passenger space and boot because I had no need for it. Ultimately, I just couldn't convince myself to go in for a Maruti. Also, I saw some news about a refreshed Swift coming sometime soon. That pretty much sealed it's fate for me. Just from a driving point of view Swift is fantastic, from an overall point of view I felt the Gi10 was better suited to me. It's a newer model. The doors have a bit of thud and the build quality is a bit better.

My experience with Hyundai has been flawless. I sold my Santro Xing with 135k kms on the odo with no issues whatsoever. Another Santro in the family was sold at the 100k mark which was replaced by a Getz which is now at the 70k mark. A close friends old shape Verna CRDI was traded in at 100k kms for a fluidic Verna. I have no doubts about Hyundai cars not lasting over a 100k kms. In fact, quite contrary to you I felt a Maruti wouldn't age as well. This point came up in my head, I intend to keep my car for a while so I felt the Gi10 would be more suitable in this regard.

As far as the Grand i10 goes. I am not regretting my decision one bit. It's a feel good little car. I am enjoying it very much. It's loaded with features. I read some comments about NVH, there is nothing like that. It is extremely refined and you have to look at the tach to know its idling. For that matter the Swift also has a terrific motor. It's only when you step on it that you hear the engine. Both cars are butter smooth and more or less same in terms of power.

As for mileage, my best figure till now is 12.5-13 kmpl with AC on 100%. This was during my run in period when I drove like a saint. Managed 480 kms on a tankfull and it took in almost 38ltrs TFM. I have covered 1500 kms as of now, and I seem to be getting a little less, about 11.5 now. I don't drive mileage consciously nor is my running pattern fuel efficient. If you drive with a light foot I'm sure you can extract more. I have noticed, the mileage figures seems to fluctuate a lot to how one drives. Absence of a real time MID, ensures that I track mileage and money spent on fuel by collecting receipts,the odo and an android app.
As for the push button start and keyless entry, yeah it's a nice thing to have but the novelty wears off real soon. The worthy differences between the Swift Vxi and Gi10 Sportz I'd say would be retractable mirrors, music system, parking sensors and to an extent the rear ac. Don't make your choice just by features alone.
As for air conditioning, I have no complaints. In the 45 degree Delhi height it's managing fine. My car is black with black art leather covers. If parked in the sun for a few hours it takes about 5 minutes to cool, otherwise fairly effective. I too have read about the ac compressor size on the other forum, but I don't believe it. Can someone confirm?

Sorry, I am a little more biased towards the Hyundai. Honestly both cars are great, you can't go wrong with either of them. I guess it'l ultimately boil down to ones requirement and a Hyundai vs Maruti thing. Good luck with your decision. Do keep this thread active and let us know what you choose. Let me know if you have any questions about the Gi10. I would be happy to answer them. Also, its possible to get 10-12k discount on the Gi10. I got it and I know of someone else too.

Last edited by promit : 16th July 2014 at 13:21.
promit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 13:52   #35
D4D
BHPian

Since it will be driven in the city for it's entire life, I think Grand i10 is a better choice.
Reasons:
  • Kappa2 engine has best bottom end for the city drive
  • Kappa2 is almost as efficient as the K series 1.2
  • Hyundai comes closest to Japanese cars in terms of reliability
  • Hyundai has good customer satisfaction because of their good ASS
  • Has more space than the swift
D4D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 14:14   #36
BHPian

Hi Mate,

Let me increase your confusion a bit more. Taking into account that you stay in jaipur which has some really heavy traffic and very busy areas, fuel efficiency also matters(i am sure of this as it matters a lot to me). Why not sacrifice some features and go in for a diesel car-GM Beat Diesel. The Mid version would fit into your budget+add some very good discounts as well. Funky styled dashboard and Sports bike inspired meter console. In city driving is a breeze and the super light clutch and excellent lower end torque will delight you. The fuel efficieny that you would get in bumper to bumper traffic of Jaipur would be in the range of 18-19 Kmpl. Also considering the fact that Rajasthan is full of Tourist places, you would never feel the pinch before going for long drives to some locations like Jaisalmer or Mount Abu within rajasthan or even to Some place in Uttarakhand or Himachal Pradesh. Second thing is the 3 years no maintenance cost definitely proves to be a boon. They cover everything right from the fluidics to your wiper baldes. The A.S.S. is not as bad as it is made out to be.

I personally own a chevy and found the maintenance cost to be lower than that of Maruti. Let us try to think a little different.
su1978 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 14:38   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by su1978 View Post
I personally own a chevy and found the maintenance cost to be lower than that of Maruti. Let us try to think a little different.
I own a Chevy & will vouch for this statement too; the first 3 years of my Aveo were covered by the 'Free' Chevy Promise deal, in the next 2 years the only major expenses I have had is a bust radiator replacement & brake pads.

Long term ownership cost of a Chevy, if not lower than Maruti, is certainly close to them.
gsurya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 14:54   #38
BHPian

I have used Hyundai i10 for more than 4 years before selling it. Without doubts it is a very nice car with fantastic interiors when compared with a Swift. The Grand i10 has all the qualities of original i10 retained plus some additional features

Favourable points when compared with Swift:

1. More spacious (more legroom, headroom and boot)
2. interiors are beautiful and effective
3. Comes loaded with features (ABS, airbags, decent music system, push button start, rear a/c vents, etc.
4. Paint quality and overall finish is top of the line.

Unfavourable points when compared with Swift:
1. Suspension is very soft making city drive very comfortable but highway driving is not so compliant. Swift has best of both worlds
2. If you are an aggressive driver be rest assured Swift will suit your needs and if you are comfort lower then G-i10.
3. Fuel efficiency wise, both are similar but Swift is shade better may be 1 kmpl.

I agree with GTO if its a self driven car then Swift will be your choice. I suggest you take test drive both of them and take your pick.
tejas.negandhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 15:57   #39
BHPian

I own a prev gen i10 Kappa2 for about 2.5 years.

+ The car is very reliable to own even on pathetic roads.
+ Interior quality is unmatched to other cars in this segment.
+ Very peppy engine. Easy to drive inside the city. Has one of the best Power to weight ratio numbers in the segment.
+ Loaded with features.

(-) Puny tyres. Does not inspire confidence on curves during long drives.
(-) H.A.S.S will loot your money. Even the change you keep in the car.
(-) Not so fuel efficient. I get 11 KMPL in Peak Chennai City traffic ( 90 % AC on ). On highways I get 17 - 19 KMPL.

Swift is definitely more fun to drive especially on long drives. But the i10 is a very practical hatch which has a good of everything but the best in nothing.

Last edited by eyesice : 16th July 2014 at 15:58.
eyesice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 11:11   #40
BHPian

Test drove the Grand i10 yesterday evening. Here are my impressions-
Please note that I haven't driven any of the modern hatches and have been driving only a WagonR F10D till now.

Positives:
  • Brilliant engine, amazingly revv friendly. I did not feel that low end torque was bad. Infact, it was just adequate.
  • Ride was reasonably good. A bit on the softer side but not bumpy at all. Road undulations were absorbed with no drama and it fared well over small speed breakers too where I just couldn't imagine taking my WagonR at the same speed at which I took the grand.
  • Didn't find the steering super light. But I have limited knowledge in this area and also the maximum speed I could take yesterday was 80 kmph.
  • Boot space is also good with not so high loading bay area.
  • The TD car which had run 11k kms, did not had any rattles or squeaks.

Negetives:
  • The AC was just OK. Nothing particularly good about it. Considering that weather here was good yesterday, I doubt it will ever chill the cabin.
    In my WagonR, if I place my fingers just near the AC vents, I can feel the chilled air coming. Not the case with Grand.
  • The TD car which was run just 11k kms had a weird clutch.
    The clutch was super light till half of its travel and beyond that it was very hard. So much that at various points, I had diffculty shifting down to first or second gear.
    Hyundai guy said, its a TD car and has been driven my many people in different styles, hence the premature wear and tear.
  • Body roll was evident in this car. When I was taking sharp turns over a curvy road, I could see in the rear view mirror that the hyundai guy who was sitting at rear seat was rolling left and right.
  • The interiors were very, very dirty. Almost all the areas where beige color was present, had dirt marks all over. Something which turned me off.
  • The engine was so revv happy, that I was constantly taking it beyond 3.5-4k rpm. I doubt I will ever be able to extract more than 10 kmpl with this car, or even that.
  • Didn't find anything particularly good about the Start/Stop button or the Smart key. I would infact prefer turning the key instead of pressing a button to start the car. But that's my personal opinion. Many find it fancy.

And the Smart key is also useless in my opinion. You have to press that tiny black button on the handle to open the car. Now, how difficult can it be to instead press the unlock button on the remote.

Couldn't test drive the Swift as it got late in the evening. Will update.
Thanks.
Sherlocked is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 11:42   #41
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Public poll added to this thread
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 11:55   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
And the Smart key is also useless in my opinion. You have to press that tiny black button on the handle to open the car. Now, how difficult can it be to instead press the unlock button on the remote.
Consider this. You return home from your monthly grocery shopping trip and need to haul a bunch of bags to your home. Which one is easier. Fumbling through your pockets fishing for the remote, with a bunch of bags in hand or just pressing the little black button on the handle while holding your shopping bags in the same hands.

The grocery bags can be replaced with sleepy kids, school bags, whatnot.

Last edited by yosbert : 17th July 2014 at 11:57.
yosbert is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 12:53   #43

Some replies based on my 3 week ownership of the Grand.

BTW, if it helps I ruled out the Swift owing to these points-

1) No additional initial costs (Music system, parking sensors etc)
2) Good road-presence. I find the Swift way too common now. Not that the Grand i10 won't be the same in a year or two. But for now, it's new and different.
3) The rear AC vents. Very helpful in Delhi.
4) Ease of drive.- In my Waggie, we never had to worry about protruding fenders and doors. It is just so easy to drive around in traffic. Don't get the same confidence in the Swift. Although people may disagree owing to Swift's steering assembly. Grand inspires better confidence in Traffic.
5) Interiors look & quality- Found it way better than the Swift for my own tastes.
6) Uncertainty over the Swift facelift which is due anytime now. You wouldn't wanna be stuck up with one of the last pieces. The new one is also supposed to get a push button start stop and electronic retracting ORVMs and other such 'premium' features. I ruled out the i20 and went for the Sports version of Grand for this reason.

Quote:
Test drove the Grand i10 yesterday evening.
Negetives:
  • The AC was just OK. Nothing particularly good about it. Considering that weather here was good yesterday, I doubt it will ever chill the cabin.
    In my WagonR, if I place my fingers just near the AC vents, I can feel the chilled air coming. Not the case with Grand.
I own both these cars and agree with you only to some extent. The AC of this Test Drive vehicle must have some issue. Also, if you're planning to seat 5 people, the rear vents are gonna help a lot in the Jaipur weather.
Quote:
  • The TD car which was run just 11k kms had a weird clutch.
    The clutch was super light till half of its travel and beyond that it was very hard. So much that at various points, I had diffculty shifting down to first or second gear.
    Hyundai guy said, its a TD car and has been driven my many people in different styles, hence the premature wear and tear.
There is some freeness in the top half of the clutch movement owing to the absent rest-pedal in the Grand. Ask the guy to get it checked in another vehicle. Being a salesman, he should oblige. I've personally found the clutch not as good as my Waggie. It's just a different car.
Quote:
  • Body roll was evident in this car. When I was taking sharp turns over a curvy road, I could see in the rear view mirror that the hyundai guy who was sitting at rear seat was rolling left and right.
True. I've felt so too. But I feel the same when I'm sitting in my friend's Swift at the back. I just hate sitting at the rear seats in almost all cars.
Quote:
  • The interiors were very, very dirty. Almost all the areas where beige color was present, had dirt marks all over. Something which turned me off.
If you love your car, that won't be a problem for you.
Quote:
  • The engine was so revv happy, that I was constantly taking it beyond 3.5-4k rpm. I doubt I will ever be able to extract more than 10 kmpl with this car, or even that.
Can't comment. I own the Diesel. Giving around 16kmpl before the first service.
Quote:
  • Didn't find anything particularly good about the Start/Stop button or the Smart key. I would infact prefer turning the key instead of pressing a button to start the car. But that's my personal opinion. Many find it fancy.

I thought so too. But once you get used to this, and I believe this feature will come in mainstream in most cars in a few years, you won't be able to live without it! Your Wagon will seem another generation older once you get used to the Grand.
Magemegento is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 14:00   #44
BHPian

I know you have ruled out the Polo, but I would like to throw that back into the mix.

The mid-spec comfortline is the reason I am throwing the Polo back in. You get ABS, Airbags, rear wiper and rear defogger as standard now along with superb VW build quality and paint quality. Yes, the engine is not as good as the Kappa or K-series, but it does have a decent bottom end and will never feel slow within the city. Further, the boot is big and the option of split folding seats (correct me if I'm wrong here) exists. As a member of this forum, I would assume that you are fairly well versed with safety features and their importance. DO NOT overlook this when you are considering something for your family. Further, the Polo Comfortline has the widest standard tyre offering of the lot, 185mm on 15 inch wheels which only aids stability and safety.

You can get the Polo with a 4-year warranty. 2+2 extended. I would seriously consider this car if I were you. And I own a Swift diesel, so my vote for the Polo is even more relevant.
carmayogi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 14:57   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Hey can you please comment on the AC effectiveness of the Grand and also share the FE figures here please.
One question, I read in some other forum that Grand i10 uses the same capacity AC compressor of that of Eon of 60cc and hence the cooling is severely affected.
Can any present Grand users confirm the same.
Thanks.
The AC is just superb. I have driven it in 38-40 degrees and extremely humid days in Kolkata. After 5-10 minutes I had to turn the fan speed down to 1. It was chilly inside the car.

I have clocked only 450 Km so far on the ODO. AC is on 100% of the time so far. I am getting an FE of 9.8 KM/L. After first service it is supposed to go up to 12-13 KM/L within city. Highway driving will give you better results.
g_saunak is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks